Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becoming a hobby demo..a few more questions

I think I'm going to take the plunge and become a hobby demo simply because I need a LOT of stuff before the holidays. I have a few questions.

Once you become a demo you won't get the rewards after you spend 150.00 like you do now, will you?

Also, when does the Christmas catty usually come out? I need to decide whether I'm going to place a big order from this mini catty that's coming out or wait for the holiday catty. Do they have much holiday stuff?

I don't know why I'm so nervous about doing this. I'm not signing my life away. For the past week I've checked out every stamp company on the internet and don't see anyone that compares to SU. I even like their white paper with copics. It didn't bleed for me.

When I study the catalog it all makes sense. I have to LEARN to use the colors together. I've always seen stamping as stamp black then color. I love the versatility of stamping with so many different colors.

I'm having a heck of a time deciding what stamps I want for my kit. I was gonna go with all holiday stamps but I'm not crazy about many of the holiday sets. I like a few of them but I like SO many other sets, too.

One more thing...which punches would you buy first if you were buying. I'm going to order four punches with my big order. I have the scallop lace border punch.

Gail
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Actually, you do get hostess rewards on demo orders over 150! It's one of the awesome ways SU rewards its demos.

We are going back to one catalog so the catty that comes out in July will last until next July. The fall/holiday mini I believe will come out in September since they will run for four months.

As far as punches go I love them all, but I probably use my circle and oval punches, scallop circle, and the new eyelet border punch the most. I also really like our new oval scallop punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Gail!

To quickly answer a few of your questions:

Hostess benefits start at $150 (like a regular customer) However, you are able to pre-order a few of these hostess sets (level 2 and 3) when a new catalog is about to release.

The new catty will release July 1st. This catty will definitely have more holiday stamps. Pre-order for demos begins June 1st. Currently SU is offering an additional 20% discount on demo pre-orders. i.e: The initial price is 20% less and you also receive your standard 'demo discount' of 20%.

In regard to stamps for your kit: I LOVE that the kit is totally customizable for your tastes! I would consider a great sentiment set, something for birthdays (like Crazy for Cupcakes), and Trendy Trees -- the versatility and popularity of that set is awesome! Plus, you could get the wheel to match!

Punches: Boho Blossoms, Ticket Corner, Wide Oval, Scallop Circle, and Round Tab are some of my favorites.

Hope this helped! Happy stamping!
Denise

Last edited by craftdoc; 03-23-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Removed promotional language
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

>>I don't know why I'm so nervous about doing this. I'm not signing my life away. >>

LOL...I can SO relate! Actually when you think about it, anytime you sign up you're getting a great deal...you get a lot of great merchandise at a great price. At the moment, actually through the end of this month, you get SO much extra stuff!

As for customizing the kit, one thing to keep in mind is that the training video uses projects based on the sets in the kit. Changing them may or may not be a problem for you. Also, SU picks the kits using some logic...with the sets they pick, you have a variety of types of stamps, so you'll be able to show different ways to use them. If you wind up substituting sets, try to pick the same type. For instance, if you don't care for "Fun & Fast Notes," which is an all-occasion set, perhaps try a similar set with similar versatility.

At the end of the day, it's tough to find a downside, lol. If the worst happens, and you find yourself unable to meet the quarterly sales requirements, you simply drop. You don't have to give anything back, lol...you simply cease to be a demo. You still have all the great merchandise. It's not that hard to make the minimums though...One or two workshops in a quarter should gain you the sales you need, never mind any purchases you make for yourself...

Just remember it's supposed to be FUN! I know if you decide to go for it, you will learn lots, gain lots of new friends, and find tremendous personal gains as well. Good luck, whichever way you go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I started out four years ago thinking I would just buy the minimums myself. Now I have quite a successful business. Who knows where you will go with this.

Most of your questions have been answered, but I'll throw in my punch choices. I would invest in the circles plus the scallop circle so you can layer or invest in the ovals for ease in layering (there's an oval scallop coming soon!).

My biggest advice...buy the Stamp-a-Ma-Jig right away. You'll never be sorry you have it and will only be sorry you didn't buy it sooner.

Good Luck with your new business and enjoy the ride!

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i am sooooo glad to hear they're going back to just one catalog per year. why did they decide to switch back?

i've thought a lot about being a demo, too. can demos order hostess sets for themselves?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't "order" hostess sets (except if we can pre-order one level 1 or level 2 before the catalog) but we can earn them with our orders just like a customer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

[quote=duranfan;13514005]i am sooooo glad to hear they're going back to just one catalog per year. why did they decide to switch back?

i've thought a lot about being a demo, too. can demos order hostess sets for themselves?[/quote]

In the past, we have been able to pre-order one Level 2 and one Level 3 stamp set. This is not a given every year, but has been the trend for the past few years. We do not get to see the Level 1 sets until the catty comes out...very exciting!

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
You can't "order" hostess sets (except if we can pre-order one level 1 or level 2 before the catalog) but we can earn them with our orders just like a customer.
This isn't accurate. It is a Level 2 and Level 3 set that we can pre-order, and, yes, we can earn any level just like a customer.

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaDRHCView Post
This isn't accurate. It is a Level 2 and Level 3 set that we can pre-order, and, yes, we can earn any level just like a customer.
Whoops...my fingers got ahead of my brain! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was wondering if the cost is the same to start up everywhere. I was also looking into doing this also? I didn't realize you could pick your stamps and punches that come in the starter kit. (Am I understanding these posts correctly?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #12  

There are no punches, but you can swap out your stamps, wheel, ink pads and paper colors. Until March 31 the cost is $169 (and you can choose an extra free stamp set). After that it is $199 (with no extra set)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
I was wondering if the cost is the same to start up everywhere. I was also looking into doing this also? I didn't realize you could pick your stamps and punches that come in the starter kit. (Am I understanding these posts correctly?)
The cost is the same in the US...pity the Candadian prices! Ugh.

You can switch out stamp sets to customize your starter kit. Once you are a demo, you receive a 30% off discount on your first order (20% off on all the rest of your orders), so a lot of people put in a very big first order to get that discount. This is what the original poster is probably referring to when talking about punches.

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

new_GA_stamper:

I was going to suggest that you think about being a demo in another post you made- you were talking about how much Su! you were accumulating! Good for you! Just the discount alone and all the catty's- brochures, ideas you get from Su will benefit you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by duranfanView Post
i am sooooo glad to hear they're going back to just one catalog per year. why did they decide to switch back?
A lot of demos asked them to, for starters. Nearly half of demos in the US are hobbyists, and buying new catalogs every six months was really hard on the wallet. Plus many of us were finding that our customers didn't have enough time to plan out purchases for all the items on their wish lists. As much as I liked seeing new stuff twice a year instead of just once, I think this will be a good thing for everyone!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone tell me if there are any fees that SU charges to remain active. I know some companies charge a small "literature" fee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #17  

You have to meet your $300/quarter minimum. There is no other fee. If you don't meet your minimum in a quarter, you have one month to make up the difference plus $100. If you don't meet it after that, you are simply dropped as a demo with no other monies owed and you don't have to give your kit back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAmomof2View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone tell me if there are any fees that SU charges to remain active. I know some companies charge a small "literature" fee.
No literature fee, in fact SU! sends you a copy of all catalogs early. You get to be the first to see all of the new goodies! Take the leap, I think you will be glad you did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I just wanted to say.. becoming a hobby demo has the been the best thing for me! I was also very nervous about signing up too... you aren't the only one. But I promise you will be very happy with Stampin up! I love that I am able to see the sets before everyone else and order them too! It is wonderful! Good luck deciding on what to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

I just took the plunge as well about an hour ago! Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Is there a direct-sales company out there that actually does charge its reps regular fees to stay active? My newly-signed recruit asked me the same thing last week, and seeing this question again just has me wondering...

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Is there a direct-sales company out there that actually does charge its reps regular fees to stay active? My newly-signed recruit asked me the same thing last week, and seeing this question again just has me wondering...
PartyLite does, or at least did when I was an active rep. for them. I haven;t been active with them in about a year and a half, so that may have changed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

You will have the cost of order forms, recruit packs, additional Catty's, brochures etc. So inless you are only purchasing for your self you may have some cost to get materials to family/friends/customers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by penfieldstamperView Post
I just took the plunge as well about an hour ago! Wish me luck!
I just signed up today too! I have honestly been considering it for YEARS. With the promotion going on right now I figured this was a great time to give it a try! I changed two sets in my starter kit. I kept them close as far as style/purpose, but just a little better suited for me. I figure that I spend $100 a month on my "habit" as it is now, so why not earn some money back?

Good luck!!

Scrappractical - The Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, wow! That's great, you guys! I know you're going to have so much FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

So, what all can you change in the starter kit? I mean, I already have the pastels, wheel handle, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

So, what all can you change in the starter kit? I mean, I already have the pastels, wheel handle, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #28  

You can't swap out the pastels or wheel handle. You can change the paper and ink pad colors, the type of wheel, and the stamp sets (the same price or less). But you can always trade the items you already have for something you don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 05:23 AM   #29  

Quote:

My mom sells Longaberger and she was just telling me they have to pay a fee each year to stay active. I was thinking it was like $30 for her. I don't know if it changes depending on how much you sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

These are all the same questions I had as well - great information. I've considered this for years and am finally signing up today and am VERY excited. I'm going to be a hobby demo to start but hopefully will expand my business later. I love this site and get so much information from all of you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAmomof2View Post
You might want to reconsider trading away items that you already own and can't substitute. Even as a hobby demo I found it useful to have an extra wheel handle, and at some point you may decide to give it a go as a business. Duplicates of things like the pastels will be very helpful, as you can either have two sets going to save time at customer events, or you can keep a "pristine" set for your own use and use the extra in your workshops and classes.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

You might want to reconsider trading away items that you already own and can't substitute. Even as a hobby demo I found it useful to have an extra wheel handle, and at some point you may decide to give it a go as a business. Duplicates of things like the pastels will be very helpful, as you can either have two sets going to save time at customer events, or you can keep a "pristine" set for your own use and use the extra in your workshops and classes.
That's a good point Rachel.
Reply With Quote Likes