Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #121  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I LOVE sending a little something for the teacher on the first day of school. I do it because I WANT to, not because I feel I HAVE to.

Think about it...Have you ever been in a class room on the first day of school? Especially a kindergarten or Pre-K classroom? It's utter chaos sometimes! You can't just turn the kids on & off like a light switch. Most of them have to learn to sit still and when it's appropriate to speak and not. I'm sure kids of all ages are the same, even older kids.

On top of that, one of my kids has special needs. I know the Special Ed. teachers go above and beyond to make things work. They patience they have is absolutely angelic!! I WANT them to know I appreciate it and I'm thinking about them, as well as my other childrens' teachers.

Now, about the bus drivers....I'm glad someone brought them up as well. As a substitute bus driver myself (hope to be FT someday), I think they are ofter overlooked. It's never good to hear another driver call in and ask for the hose to be pulled out!!! I think some great ideas have been mentioned. I know I would certainly appreciate anything, especially when a child (of any age) says 'thanks for the ride', 'have a good day', etc. A nice wave & smile from the parent is even great! But for goodies...maybe chocolate!, hard candy, gum, mints, tylenol, a new umbrella (for those soaking mornings), gloves (for the really cold ones), hmmm...I'm trying to think of something cool for these really hot days (other than deoderant or sweat bands). lol

The bottom line to this never ending post.......

Everyone appreciates the little things in life, don't they? I know I do. It's the thought that counts. Some of the best things in life don't cost a dime!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #122  
Compulsive Stamper

First, I don't have kids, so take or leave my comments as parents will often do with us "Non-Breeders"... LOL!

When I was in school, a million years ago, when, according to my nieces and nephews, DINASAURS ROAMED THE EARTH, we gave teacher an apple on the first day of school. Of course, back in the day, teachers probably made a living wage....

I get a gift for going to work every day. It's called a salary and I do believe I make a good shake more than my sis in law who IS a teacher and I sure as heck know she works at least as hard as I do, but she CARES a H-E-DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS more about her job than I do..... If I stop caring about my job, in a year or so, they will replace me with a clone of me who a year or two later won't give a fig either. If my sis in law stops caring, the CHILDREN SUFFER.

Just my seven cents......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #123  
Compulsive Stamper

i really DO know how to spell DINOSAURS... by the way....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #124  
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

For your child's sake, you do not want to be the Mom always bringing in homemade cookies, gifts for the teachers, or lingering in the hallways.
A time to help, come and then GO, a few times a year to help out, a few goodies now and then. But, do not go overboard. The kids AND THE SCHOOL see it differently than we do. And, even at a very young age, there is competition. Try not to get caught up in that.
My child is in HS, the older one in College. Trust me I have seen it all. Keep it light and simple. And, mostly hone into what the teacher really wants help with, needs, and asks for. Connect with the Parent Organization. Usually there are bigger needs, like, help for setting up for activities, presentations, etc...Try not to over do the gifties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #125  
Insane Embellisher

how about a pack of nice (stamped) note cards? I also like to send cards to the teachers throughout the year to encourage them and tell them I'm still out there supporting them from the sidelines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #126  
Polyshrink Goddess

(Where is the edit button???)

Anyway, I'd like to add that there are many other ways to show your appreciation other than buying things. I believe a previous poster mentioned helping out...make copies, cut out activities, read a story to the class, etc. But don't forget everyone else...the secretaries, who take endless calls/notes; the nurse, who hands out countless ice packs & bandaids; the counselors, who pay special attention to lessons/problems that may arise; the principals, who have a lot of big decisions to make (note: you can't make everyone happy all the time); the janitor, who seems to get the worst of messes; etc. etc.

An idea...at Christmas time last year I made a few dozen Snowman Soups that my kids and I handed out to the secretaries, nurse, counselor, therapists, music/art teachers, classroom teacher, janitor, etc. They truly appreciated it and a few even sent thank-you's home to the kids.

Treat others as you, yourself, would like to be treated...with a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #127  
Die Cut Diva

As parents, it is our job to teach our children certain things. The art of appreciation is a valuable lesson!
I also want my kids to know the feeling you get in doing something nice for another person! What a great way to start the school year!

Last year my kids brought in mini comp notebooks and mini beaded pens.
This year I think it might be a set of thank you notes, as that was the most popular gift last year.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Look what I can do! (my gallery)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #128  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a SAHM and teacher (before I was a SAHM), it is nice to know the parents appreciate you, but in NO way was it expected or assumed to get anything,,just a smile was great! With that said, I know how much time went into planning to make the experience special and I want to let my DS Kindergatern teacher know that I am VERY appreciative for all her efforts, even though I don't know HER yet. Any person who is spending time educating my child is worth recognizing.

SOOOOO..I want to make her monogram cards. For me I make them with my first name initial..what do I do for her?? Do you use the teacher's last name???? PLease let me know if you have made these in the past..thanks!

Mom to 4...Sean (11-00), Kevin and Patrick (3-02) and Meghan (2-05) and still time to STAMP (in my sleep! LOL)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #129  
Insane Embellisher

I have done them with first names... seems more personal. I have some in my gallery... take a look if youd like!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #130  
Insane Embellisher

As a teacher, I think it's so sweet of you to want to give a Back to School gift! I have never received one from a student, but I will try to keep that in mind when ds starts K next year. I will do something for his PreK teachers, even though there's no "first day".

I am shocked that anyone would say anything negative about you wanting to make something for a BTS gift. I think that shows that you care about all the work that goes into teaching.

Those that resent being "hit up" for supplies and goodies at the beginning and during the year don't seem to understand what is needed in a classroom. Yes, there's a list of supplies that students need at the beginning of the year. These items are NOT provided by the school.

We ALWAYS run out of crayons and gluesticks by Christmas. Kleenex is another item that runs out quickly!! Please don't resent your child's teacher for asking for items that are needed in the classroom.

If your child's teacher asks you donate an item or two for a special treat, is it really that big of a deal? It makes it easier on the teacher to have many students bring in an item that might cost $1-3 instead of footing the bill herself. No, special treats/parties aren't a necessary part of education, but in my opinion, it fosters a sense of community and family in the classroom.
Which is VERY important!!
Just MHO!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #131  
Insane Embellisher

ok, just a quick question, there are so many of you sending wonderful generous gifts to your childrens school teachers, which I myself may do, but are any of you afraid that 20 other moms in your child's class room may be doing the same thing as you are. I love so many of your GREAT ideas but I get so worried that someone else has the same idea that I may have and I would feel like such an idiot if I handed a teacher something and they had a pile of the same stuff. Does anyone else have this fear?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #132  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wink

Me again...

Gift Ideas...
I like to give the teacher something somewhat personal at the beginning & end of the year. (Like personalized pens/notepads, etc.) But for Christmas, I like to give something to the "class". Like new books, markers, etc. that can be used by everyone. The teacher also enjoys this type of gift because it might be something that she won't have to buy out of her own pocket, and the children seem to love it when they all get something new to use. It's also nice to help replenish those daily supplies at this time. That's why I'm buying extra school supplies now, when they're cheaper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #133  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by love scrappin
Oh Kim I love that!!

I think I may do that!! I am a school bus driver and love when my kids give me little gifts! Even though it is my job parents appreciate the great care and support I give to their children to and from school every day and they show it through the year with little cards or home made goodies and the children learn the gift of appreciation! I know I aprreciate the great care and knowledge these teachers give to our children. They have decided to become teachers to teach OUR children and dont get paid very much for it at all!! It is a very tough and demanding job and I dont think there is anything wrong with a little welcome back gift to show them you care and are thankful for them!! Spending a couple of bucks to brighten someones day is worth it for me!!

I too am a bus driver and I love the little trinkets or a picked flower from the kids. I agree that the teachers don't get paid enough for what they do for our kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #134  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow! I do not post very much, but had to get in on this. I can't believe how negative some people are! I am a mom of 3 and I always do back to school gifts. I usually do a post-it not holder and pen using the crayon kids set. I use black cardstock with white ink to make it look like a chalk board. I do not think teachers expect a gift but it is a nice way to start the year. I know they get paid to do their job but until you have actually stayed in a classroom with 20+ kids all day...you do not know how much they deserve little perks. Their work isn't finished at 3:00 either, they still have to go home grade papers, get ready for the next day and in most cases deal with their own kids! Maybe more parents should volunteer in the classroom and they would totally understand that teachers need a few little incentives to keep coming back everyday!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #135  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
THANK YOU!!! Apparently the poster you responded to doesn't understand a few things:

1) Many families cannot or choose not to buy all of the supplies on the list. I went ot Target last week and spent $80 on markers, crayons, colored pencils, glue stix, etc. because I KNOW some kids won't have them. Not to mention, they will be lost, taken home, whatever by Thanksgiving, and God forbid I ask for more supplies then!

2) Let's be honest... do the math. Your child's teacher spends more time with your child than you do in a day -- sleeping doesn't count!

3) There is no other job I can think of where the employee goes to college, gets a degree, then has to continue their education on their own dime in order to get pay raises, pay for a license, AND buy their own work supplies! And this is seen as completely normal and acceptable! I spend at least $400 per year on your kids... between supplies, books, rewards... and this is not abnormal expenses for teachers.

A gift is NOT required, but it is VERY appreciated. A card/note/simple email of a sincere thank you is the best gift you can offer. But I get the feeling here that some are not appreciative, and I think that's sad.

Yes it may sound harsh, but I am also at the school helping out at least 20 hrs a month, which would be more but I work and it is hard to take the time off. But I know it is important to be there. I am not saying they don't work hard. They do. I respect what they do. But to think that they need something for them personally is ridiculous. I am happy to give supplies and volunteer my time. That is my way of saying thanks. I give gifts at Christmas, their birthdays, and year end. Last year I spent over $400 of my own money, on projects that were needed for my first grader. That is on top of the supplies I purchased throughout the year, which was about an additional $300. Then I spent money on all the parties that they had for the kids. That was for my oldest. I now have a kindergartener this year on top of that.

I think it is fine to give a gift to say welcome back, but I personally think, offering to give of your time is more important.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #136  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Hooray! So many people do not consider the time spent outside of the classroom when they think of a teacher's schedule. I generally spent 4 hours per day afterschool grading papers, writing lessons, generating tests, extra-credit projects, etc. These hours did not include the clubs/activities that I was in charge of after school.
I know I was in the majority of teachers with this schedule. Yes there are teachers who do the bare minimum but most of us truly enjoy teaching and give it our all. Yes it was our choice of career...we know that. True, it's not for everyone. All teachers are asking for is parental involvement be it through volunteering, helping with supplies, etc. After all it is our children who are using the tissues, crayons, glue, notebooks, etc. The teacher is not taking everything home and hoarding it for his/her own use.

That said, I've never done a BTS gift before. I am thinking about it for this year but I'm nervous about it appearing "brown-nosing"

Good luck to all who decide to create a little something and to all who don't.
Maureen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:40 AM   #137  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I was planning on in addition to the supplies my daughter needs, to give the teacher an "extra" pack of supplies for her to have on hand for those that don't have them -- like someone else said and my daughter reminds me sometimes some kids don't bring in things they need, snacks, tissues, etc. So since I know the teachers often get those things on their own I thought I would give her a backup kit -- I have tons of extra crayon packs and pencils and glue sticks and know she would appreciate them --

Dayna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 AM   #138  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by danamy
ok, just a quick question, there are so many of you sending wonderful generous gifts to your childrens school teachers, which I myself may do, but are any of you afraid that 20 other moms in your child's class room may be doing the same thing as you are. I love so many of your GREAT ideas but I get so worried that someone else has the same idea that I may have and I would feel like such an idiot if I handed a teacher something and they had a pile of the same stuff. Does anyone else have this fear?

I personally do not worry about what other parents are doing. I was actually really shocked that only 3 (my daughter included in that count) children out of my daughter's 18-class kindergarten brought in end-of-year gifts for the teacher. Did I worry that I was one of the only ones that was giving a gift, not a chance. My cousin was a teacher and the best gift of a parent is time and effort, showing that you care.

I don't think a personal gift is warranted for my daughter's teacher but I am planning on sending her with extra school supplies for her to have on hand which in a sense is helping her out. Like someone said it will hopefully help her out from having to go get more things at Thanksgiving time when the budget alotment for supplies has already been spent and she is needing more things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:51 AM   #139  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh and sorry to be a posting hog, but one of the teachers had a great idea last year that my daughter wants to do this year --

Last year the kindergarten teacher sent a letter to all the kids and included a self addressed envelope so that the kids could sent a letter back introducing themselves and sharing a bit of their summer. My daughter remembered that so wants to do the same thing -- although her 1st grade teacher hasn't offered her home address, I do know they will be back in the school Aug 20th for reading assessment so planning on sending her letter to her at the school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 AM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxieStamps
I think it is fine to give a gift to say welcome back, but I personally think, offering to give of your time is more important.
Well, I guess it depends on the age of your kids, too. I teach middle school. Parents in the classroom -- that concept at this age is non-existant where I am. And actually, having taught elementary here too, I can confidently say that it is rare in general, except for parties and field trips.

I agree that it is not necesssary to give a gift to the teacher, your post just sounded like you were saying teachers don't deserve it, which is why you don't agree with it. And I strongly disagree with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 07:22 AM   #141  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingers
Oh and sorry to be a posting hog, but one of the teachers had a great idea last year that my daughter wants to do this year --

Last year the kindergarten teacher sent a letter to all the kids and included a self addressed envelope so that the kids could sent a letter back introducing themselves and sharing a bit of their summer. My daughter remembered that so wants to do the same thing -- although her 1st grade teacher hasn't offered her home address, I do know they will be back in the school Aug 20th for reading assessment so planning on sending her letter to her at the school.
that is so cute.

we just got a postcard from my DD's teacher yesterday introducing herself.
that would have been cute to do in return.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #142  
Insane Embellisher

thank you pigfingers for the response. You are right about not feeling shame about giving a gift. I was more afraid that say I gave my daughters preschool teacher an altered clipboard and low and behold so did little suzie's mom. =) or what if I did the post a note holder and little timmy's mom did as well. see what I mean? Boy after reading this I sound so insecure and really i'm not but like I said I read some of these posts and some are recent and some are from months or maybe even a year ago and I would hate to do something for someone and have them think to themselves, that clipboard, post a note holder what ever it may be was so last year =) and toss it into the duplicate gifts box..

My children are napping, could I perhaps have too much time on my hands and if so why aren't I stampin?? thank you all for your support and patience!! you girls are truly the best...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #143  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I wouldn't worry about giving the same thing as someone else. In 10 years of teaching the only thing that I ever got the same thing of at the same time was gift cards and candy. And if you're making a handmade gift then it would be special and different b/c of being handmade. Even if Timmy and Suzie's moms would make the same!

As far as giving time that great too but I have worked in several schools that have had to start limiting that b/c parents were coming and turning them into gossip sessions and "spying" on teachers that they didn't like. Sad huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #144  
Insane Embellisher

thank you so much for your feedback duckwaddlequack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #145  
Kookie Creator

By the way, let's hear it for those bus drivers. They are responsible for safely driving our most precious loved ones to and from school, and on field trips. I wouldn't want that job for all the tea in China. I hope everyone remembers them at least once during the school year.

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #146  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxieStamps
:???: Back to school Teacher's gift? Never heard of that. Give me a break, what next. No way am I giving out BTS gifts. Teaching my child is gift enough. ha.;)

you are too funny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #147  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

Nice Avatar ClaudiafromGermany!! That's cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #148  
Gallery Gazer

After reading all of these again, as I have already posted twice, I have to say I am sorry to all those whom I may have offended by saying I don't give these gifts. I also feel the need to say it is not a lack of appreciation, but that we do not know the teacher at the beginning of school. I feel funny giving gifts to people I do not know. I am in the PTA, volunteer once a week, and I am a room mother. I show my appreciation in other ways. I do give gifts throughout the year, but I find receiving a gift from someone I do not know yet strange. An apple, ok, but actual gifts? I was a high school teacher for 8 years and have taught college for four. I prefer thank yous after the fact. I guess it's just different in elementary schools. Again I apologize if I have come off as unappreciative or offensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 AM   #149  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always do something nice for the teachers when the kids go back to school. Here are some inexpensive gifts I have done....

altered clipboard (regular size) -- paint clipboard with MM paint -- stamp teacher's name in Stazon or craft (heat set) -- put some mini clips on the side so that they can clip papers on the side .. decorate with ribbon - attach pen. This is a gift they can use.... cost: Less than $3

6 pack: no - not the drink - a set of 6 blank notecards with matching envies -- use a simple background stamp and put the initial of their last name. Tie together with ribbon for a beautiful gift. Cost: Less than $2

Acrylic Post it note holder: see the tutorial in the resources forum: Cost - less than $2

Note Tote: do a search on this in the gallery - Michelle Wooderson made these - they are a wow gift - cost - less than $1

Not for anything - I tend to stay away from the apple theme for teachers - I think they get a TON of apple things - unless they like that - I tend to do bright florals for teachers.

Hope this helps!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 03:42 AM   #150  
Stazon Splitcoast

One more thing - last year - my DD went to Kindergarten orientation and the teacher gave her the book "The kissing hand" which is an ADORABLE book! We immediately sat down and read it when we got home and then my dd made a card for her teacher. She was the only child in the class who thanked the teacher in ANY WAY! This teacher bought the books OUT OF POCKET! She had to buy 50 books for her two classes. There are many wonderful things that teachers do over the course of the year - I think it is a WONDERFUL thing to THANK THEM throughout the year. And brown nosing does not hurt! Heck - you may even inspire someone to start stamping with you! PAY IT FORWARD! RAK make the world a happier place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 AM   #151  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamijo
As a teacher I can say that I spend close to that myself for my classroom often a couple thousand more than that throughout the year. All this in order to give my kids a better classroom. I am in an inner city school and am lucky if I receive a card for Christmas (which I'm not complaining about) so i would love a little gift to say thanks for taking care of my child. On top of the money I spend my mom sees things on sale/clearance and picks them up for me and puts together a little box for me to bring back from Indiana.
I totally appreciate my kids teachers and give them gifts at Christmas time, Teacher Appreciation Week and at the end of the year. I just don't give a back to school gift for a teacher I haven't even dealt with yet! I think this is where the confusion is coming from. Maybe some of you have the same teacher every year???

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #152  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by baabteach
I totally appreciate my kids teachers and give them gifts at Christmas time, Teacher Appreciation Week and at the end of the year. I just don't give a back to school gift for a teacher I haven't even dealt with yet! I think this is where the confusion is coming from. Maybe some of you have the same teacher every year???
This is what I am trying to say. You have said it better than I did. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes