Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Archivers disappointing end

I have been sad since the day I learned that Archivers was closing. I have been a very loyal customer for years even though I live 150 miles from the nearest store. I have not taken a class or worked in the workroom, but I have counted on the store for supplies, inspiration, and friendly staff. Yesterday I was in a store when I heard a customer state that rumor was the Twin Cities store employees had been very rude to customers. This customer had walked out of a store without purchasing the intended items because the employee had been rude. I was planning my last visit to Archivers later in the day. I have been in the Maple Grove MN. store many, many times and found the employees to be simply the best. I was sure I would not experience any rude employees in this store.

As I was checking out a woman across the counter from me was purchasing a large stack of paper. The sales associate asked the manager if there was any way that she could make one scan and count out the paper or if she needed to scan every single piece of paper. She was told she would need to scan each piece separately. She then said to the manager that the customer thought some of the paper was bent and could there be any additional discounts applied. Rather than politely saying the 25% off was the only discount allowed, the manager loudly and rudely said she doesn't have to purchase the paper.... someone else will buy it. The person checking me out laughed. Since when is being rude to customers funny?

I understand that this entire store closing must be frustrating and tiring to the employees, but when did we decide that rudeness is appropriate? I know customers will not be returning to the store, but do we really need to end on a sour note? I am sad that this is the way some individuals have chosen to treat people. It will forever be my ending memory of Archivers. How sad!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced something similar in our store in Southport Indiana. THe employees have always been very kind and helpful there and when I was there yesterday I noticed the attitudes were very rude. It wasn't quite as rude as what you heard but it was not the nice friendly staff that I have always encountered. I know they are very upset about losing their jobs but at least they have gotten some kind of notice and not just walk in one day and told today is your last day. They have a little time to plan and get out there and possibly get something else lined up for themselves. They still have no right to have attitudes with their customers......this isn't our fault at all. I have went to many crops and spent a decent amount of money there over the years. If their prices weren't so high, I would have spent more. They were moving in the right direction by having better coupons to get people back in the stores but it was just a little too late. So much of their scrapbook paper was 99 cents or even more and I wouldn't buy it unless I was cropping there and just had nothing else to use. I think that with all of the die cutting machines out there now that embellishments are not used near as much so it is harder to sell that kind of stuff now. I don't buy very many embellishments at all because I have a cricut and cut my own diecuts for embellishments. Our hobby has changed so much so quickly and it is impossible for a store to carry what pleases everyone. I am very sad to lose Archivers but we are gaining a new independent store here very close to me and if she works it right I think she will be successful. I hope you still have somewhere that you can get your supplies from close to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 411 Likes on 357 Posts

I will miss my Archiver's in Chesterfield, MO, VERY much. The staff there is THE BEST and there has been no attitude change that I have perceived. They were my main source for plain colored CS since their color collection was terrific. Not only the hues themselves, but the warms and cools of each major hue. Even their neutrals were comprehensive. Yes, I can order on line, but I have to go by the color reproduction from computer to computer and I can't feel the weight....sometimes that is important. Also, I can't buy a sheet of this and a sheet of that of these CSs. Every single employee loved their craft, their store and their manager.....and their customers. I will miss them greatly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I went to my local Archivers two days ago. Pretty much fully stocked. Employees, the whole two that were working were very curious to customers. When not helping customer were very Chatty Cathy's, and one of them was quite loud. But when helping customers very nice.

Regarding scanning each piece of card stock, yes that needs to be done and cashier should have know this, even with Bankruptcy I am sure they still need to due inventory. As for the customer asking for an additional discount she should have known better, but was trying to get all she could. She should have never have tried to even buy bent card stock if she did not want to purchase it at 25% off.

As for the managers response well, just uncalled for. Even with all tension from Bankruptcy issues she need to hold her cool.

I am just surprised that Archivers is only giving a 25% discount as their prices are still to high and store is still to full as I saw. I have a Joannes right behind them and a Hobby Lobby across the street. A Local Scrap/Stamp store down the street about 3 miles that has a better sale at 30% of regular items up to $90 and 35% of over $90. Then a Micheals store about 7 miles away. All where I can pretty much get my embellishments and paper pack for less.

Yes I am sad to see them go, but they did not get into the competition of the coupons until after they started to close their stores. Then my inbox was bombarded with coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #5  
Swapper of the Month January 2013

so all Archivers are closing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikki1578View Post
so all Archivers are closing?
YES

Archiver's: What's in Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #7  
Swapper of the Month January 2013

awww ok sad..thanks for the info I only have been to the one in Kennesaw GA a few times as we don't have one in my area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

When a store starts suddenly sending out lots of coupons, that may be an indication that they're in financial distress. Sounds like that's what happened with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BastingirlView Post
I experienced something similar in our store in Southport Indiana. THe employees have always been very kind and helpful there and when I was there yesterday I noticed the attitudes were very rude. It wasn't quite as rude as what you heard but it was not the nice friendly staff that I have always encountered. I know they are very upset about losing their jobs but at least they have gotten some kind of notice and not just walk in one day and told today is your last day. They have a little time to plan and get out there and possibly get something else lined up for themselves. They still have no right to have attitudes with their customers......this isn't our fault at all.
The last couple of times I had been in the store you're talking about, I think the clerks I dealt with were new. They weren't very knowledgeable. There's also one clerk that's been there a while but she just didn't have a very personable approach to people. She's very curt. I do love Jenny, the manager though. She's been there a very long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

"but we are gaining a new independent store here very close to me and if she works it right I think she will be successful."

I'm in the Rockville/Greencastle, Indiana area. Where is the new independent store opening? :o I haven't been to the Archiver's store in Southport to see if there are any deals left, sounds like they haven't marked anything down very much. ugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2014, 02:52 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbookmaryView Post
"but we are gaining a new independent store here very close to me and if she works it right I think she will be successful."

I'm in the Rockville/Greencastle, Indiana area. Where is the new independent store opening? :o I haven't been to the Archiver's store in Southport to see if there are any deals left, sounds like they haven't marked anything down very much. ugh.
One of the clerks from the Southport Archiver's is opening a store near Thompson and Emerson, which is north of the Southport Archiver's. Russell from the Southport store is going to be doing classes there.

On another note, is there still a scrapbook store in Avon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a lovely store; but too far for me to drive in our rural area; but, agree there are cheaper competative stores, but not really classes in our area, unfortunately

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagtopView Post
One of the clerks from the Southport Archiver's is opening a store near Thompson and Emerson, which is north of the Southport Archiver's. Russell from the Southport store is going to be doing classes there.

On another note, is there still a scrapbook store in Avon?
What is this store called and do you know when it will be open? I live 200 miles away, but always stopped at the Southport store when I was in the area. I will miss A's very much, but would love to support the new store if I am in town.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
What is this store called and do you know when it will be open? I live 200 miles away, but always stopped at the Southport store when I was in the area. I will miss A's very much, but would love to support the new store if I am in town.
It's called The "Neu" Scrapbooking Store (Owner's name is Libby Neu) and the address is 5135 W. Emerson Ave., Indianapolis IN 46237. She's hoping to have an opening date by the time Archiver's finishes liquidating.

Here's the link to the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/neuscrapbookingstore?ref=br_tf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I was at the Maple Grove Store recently, and after being a loyal customer since they opended, no discounts were extended to me even though the clerk could look at my account. I am sorry that they are closing, but there prices were a little too high.

Perhaps others will shop more at Scrapbooks Too in Bloomington. Crafts direct is shrinking their stamp selection and seems that the paper isles have shrunk as well. I will continue making cards, but may have to look online for my fix. but it is not the same as holding the stamps or paper to see what it is that I am buying.

It is pretty sad that we are losing a better store than Michaels or Joann's . I haven't been in these stores for some time. Nothing new to buy and the background paper is old and stale. No My Mind's Eye, Graphic 45, and other name brands.

Maybe, I'll need to use my stuff that I have until it is gone and then go shopping again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakingmnView Post
I was at the Maple Grove Store recently, and after being a loyal customer since they opended, no discounts were extended to me even though the clerk could look at my account. I am sorry that they are closing, but there prices were a little too high.
Why would they offer you any discounts other than what is presently advertised? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

None of the stuff that I purchased was on sale. would have figured that I would get some discount on any of my stamps that I bought or paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

My understanding is that everything in the store is 25% off. That sale began on January 6th though - maybe your recent visit was prior to that.

Archiver?s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

None of the stuff that I purchased was on sale. would have figured that I would get some discount on any of my stamps that I bought or paper.
Store Closing Sale is 25% up to $100, over $100 is 30% Per Archivers Advertisements

No additional coupons are available

http://view.email-archiversonline.co...0d7a7d1171&r=0
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagtopView Post
It's called The "Neu" Scrapbooking Store (Owner's name is Libby Neu) and the address is 5135 W. Emerson Ave., Indianapolis IN 46237. She's hoping to have an opening date by the time Archiver's finishes liquidating.

Here's the link to the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/neuscrapbookingstore?ref=br_tf
hope she is getting the shop fixtures at a discount ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

For all of those that have shopped Archivers in MN and do not want to order online, BUT are willing to take a road trip--you need to travel to Walnut Grove to Fond Memories.
They are off at CHA right now to find what new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Perhaps others will shop more at Scrapbooks Too in Bloomington.
The closing of A has prompted me to schedule a scrappin/card making date with a girlfriend at SBtoo. I want to support the stores that offer this option and even though I have enough supplies to craft for three lifetimes, I want to do what I can to ensure this store continues. The owner is a hoot and I love the variety of products she carries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiecrafterView Post
For all of those that have shopped Archivers in MN and do not want to order online, BUT are willing to take a road trip--you need to travel to Walnut Grove to Fond Memories.
They are off at CHA right now to find what new.
Thanks for this recommendation. Is the Walnut Grove as in... Laura Ingalls Walnut Grove? That would make it even more exciting. (I am a dork... I know.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the info on the Indy store!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by madameplushbottomView Post
Thanks for this recommendation. Is the Walnut Grove as in... Laura Ingalls Walnut Grove? That would make it even more exciting. (I am a dork... I know.)
Yes this is as in the Laura Ingalls of Little House on the Prairie. The store offers classes monthly and has two big workshop each year. The next is April and you do 10 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #26  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I think it may be very possible they have either temps in the jobs or perhaps they have brought people from the main offices to fill in where needed. I know other big stores that have had the problem of employees leaving before the final date.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

I was in a store going out of business recently, although for the life of me, I can't recall who it was. Anyhow, I heard one employee say in an offhanded kind of way "If all these people had shopped here and bought this much before, maybe we wouldn't be closing." I think that may be the attitudes you were encountering. I never feel it is right to lash out at someone who isn't the cause of your frustration; but I do understand their pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I have worked at two different plants that both have shut down and moved to other countries. In fact one of them made me go to Mexico and train employees. I resented doing this and let the company know how I felt. But I never let the employees that I train know how I felt. And I train them to the best of my ability. After all it wasn't there fault.

I really don't think that anyone that works at a store should be rude at all. And I know sometimes it is hard. But that just comes with working with the public.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfiredogView Post
I was in a store going out of business recently, although for the life of me, I can't recall who it was. Anyhow, I heard one employee say in an offhanded kind of way "If all these people had shopped here and bought this much before, maybe we wouldn't be closing." I think that may be the attitudes you were encountering. I never feel it is right to lash out at someone who isn't the cause of your frustration; but I do understand their pain.
Was it Coldwater Creek, perhaps? They announced last week that they'd filed for Chapter 11 and were closing all of their 365 stores by this summer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that an employee should not be rude, but sometimes feelings slip into words. Working for a company that is closing stores and knowing your employment is ending makes it difficult when you do see all of the "bargain" hunters coming in. Unfortunately in this day and age of buying online, we will see more and more of our brick and mortar stores go by the wayside. Knowing you now have to try to find a new job in this economy does not make it easy to be "nice" all of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes