Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #161  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by se_stamperView Post
I trim my stamps very close, so I have no need for the SAMJ...I hate that thing!!
Me too!! I could never get it to work properly. Everyone else here seems to love it. UGH!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 03:21 AM   #162  
Crimping Master

I love unmounted. They are so much easier to store and stamp just fine.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #163  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouInkItView Post
Phantom, please share! What was your experience with these? Maybe it's just what I need to push me over the edge! ;)
Hi Clara!

Okay... I have used the vinyl cling sheets on some of my unmounted sets. I'm sad to say that I don't think I've used them enough lately to give you a really accurate progress report.

Someone else mentioned that they lose their cling after awhile. I have found that a brisk friction rub against my sleeve will recharge the static cling and I do that and so far they are sticking to the acrylic block really well. Similar to acrylic stamps, when you are cleaning and they become wet, they are less likely to still cling to the block - which to me is no big deal .... I just clean them off the block. I really think as long as they are dry they should still work great with maybe a little 'recharging.' It will be interesting to see how well they do when the more humid weather comes.

I already had a fair supply of EZmount, so my older sets are still going on that. My intention had always been to use the vinyl cling sheets on brand new SU stamps. Just in case you're wondering, that of course sticks really well to the vinyl cling so no issues there. One of the reasons I'm stalled is that my new SU stamps are those I got in my first demo order and I want to be certain I'm keeping them before they go unmounted.

Clara knows me from the trading forum and I have to tell you that I don't spend much time there anymore ! I have maybe 5-8 sets that I'd be willing to let go of, but the time and energy put into trading or selling is just not worth it now that they take up so little space. I find myself thinking that maybe I'll actually use them sometime; and if I don't, it's no big deal.

Also, someone asked about another solution for using just the die with acrylic blocks. I bought a sheet of Tack'n'Peel and so far it is working great! It's reusable. You stick it to your acrylic block and there's a protective clear plastic sheet that goes over it when not in use. You just peel that up and stick your rubber die to the Tack'n'Peel sheet, easy peasy. Again, I'm not familiar with the long-term performance of it.

My bottom line is that I can try some different things and if they work, great. If they don't -- EZmount is still my fallback. I know that as long as I have a nice rubber die, I can always put it on EZmount and have that great storage advantage.

I appreciate unmounting even more now that I'm actually planning a workshop (yikes!) and need to keep some stamps mounted on wood for demo purposes. That stack of blocks is getting to be a pain in the neck!! I keep them on the shelf by my background stamps which I won't unmount. I guess I'll see you in the BST forum if I ever stop being a demo, Clara!! Can you imagine -- I think I'm a demo who wants to see her sets retire just so she can unmount them - LOL!!

By the way, if I don't end up using the vinyl cling sheets, I've discovered that my daughter and her friends can draw on them with permanent markers and then cling them to the windows for handmade suncatchers!! A bonus.

And as for SAMJ, which I love, I guess I'm picky because I'll use it with rubber stamps on acrylic blocks, too :rolleyes:

This is still one of the most informative and helpful threads I've seen here ~ thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and techniques . And Clara, if you'd like me to send you a sample of the vinyl cling and EZmount, just LMK! If you find you don't like it, CHF sells sheets for remounting your dies to wood blocks so you can always go back!!

Best to you all ~

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #164  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 371 Likes on 229 Posts

hi ladies - I just joined this site - I was actually looking for some opinions on unmounting stamps, so I read through this thread and figured I might as well join your community
I have come to the conclusion that I AM going to unmount and now is the time since I do not have a GIANT collection - no sense waiting ;)
I have done about a dozen stamps and I am using the aleen's tack it over &over which I am liking so far my question is....
what if you have troubles getting the foam off of the rubber? the foam with rubber came off very nicely from the wood, but on a few so far I've not been able to get down to the rubber - do you just heat it more in the mirco? i know that I can just leave it on the foam and use it - but I'd really rather have it consistent ;)

Last edited by leibetty; 04-11-2008 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #165  
Embossing Fanatic

Default easy unmounting tips

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintooView Post
No regrets here, either. When I went unmounted, I just started with the sets I hadn't put on blocks and any I've bought since. I'm a big chicken too about the already mounted sets - still haven't taken them off the wood, it seems like a huge undertaking. But I'm so glad I started unmounting because I love how storing them on CDs takes up such little space!
I keep the cases and wood out in the garage, too - just in case I want to resell them someday. I write the set name on the cases with a sharpie though so I can match them up.
April

I found that what works best to unmount the stamps the easiest is to put them in the microwave for a few seconds to heat the glue up, then they peel right off the blocks. (some of the ones that had a strange kind of foam didn't work so well. not sure why)
then, if you want to get the sticky off before remounting them (i don't know....but it was a thought.) get the pure citrus oil spray, that takes off the sticky really well and does not damage the rubber.

happy friday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #166  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
Does anyone ever get annoyed with having to position the stamp on the block every time you want to use it? That's what I'm worried about.
nope. because it is just a pick it up here and slap it down there, and then easy peasy. and you can see where you are putting it. then you clean it and put it back on the storage board, and move on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #167  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by misplacedstamperView Post
you ladies are incredible with all of your information, I have learned alot just from this thread.
I have just "barely" started to unmount, kind of experimenting and educating myself. I want to unmount for the storage AND organization. Lump together those stamp sets that match the seasons etc. When buying them from Stampin Up, the boxes are not uniform sizes.
My question is: how do you know how many sheets of EZ Mount you need? I can't even begin to estimate how many and once I start I don't want to run out. I have approximately 50 stamp sets.

Thanks for all the information, I will be buying that hot knife that's for sure.

i have been VERY stingy with my EZ mount sheets. i put the trimmed images as close together as possible, and cut between them with an exacto knife. i have managed to cram several sets onto a single sheet of EZ mount.
the best thing about EZ mount is that it doesn't expire, so if you buy more than you need for your original 50 sets, you'll have extra for the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #168  
Mad Swapper

Thank you for all the information, Nancy! You are so sweet! I have used EZ Mount with my Bellas and when I unmount my wheels, and would love to unmount all my SU! stamps on EZ Mount, but Hubby's not too thrilled with the expense ... especially since I'm in the process of redoing my craft room at the moment, lol!

I think I'm going to tell him about the vinyl cling sheets and see if that eases him a bit! lol ... well, I can hope so, right? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #169  
Cardstock Collector

HELP! I am stuck! I started unmounting a couple of weeks ago. I love the idea, but the journey is proving to be difficult. I am using ez mount with foam, but find that it is really sticky on the edges. Also, I am getting lots of burnt edges with my hot knife. Also, I am stamping the foam side using stazon ink. Does anyone find this unnecessary? I am not sure it will be useful and it sure adds to the difficulty factor. I have made the commitment, and I think I will love it in the end, but I am not sure I am going to make it through the process. I am relatively new to stamping, so I don't have that many sets. I'm not sure how a veteran stamper can get through all of this with so many sets. Please reassure me that I haven't ruined all my beautiful stamps!?! Any helpful tips would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #170  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouInkItView Post
Thank you for all the information, Nancy! You are so sweet! I have used EZ Mount with my Bellas and when I unmount my wheels, and would love to unmount all my SU! stamps on EZ Mount, but Hubby's not too thrilled with the expense ... especially since I'm in the process of redoing my craft room at the moment, lol!

I think I'm going to tell him about the vinyl cling sheets and see if that eases him a bit! lol ... well, I can hope so, right? ;)
Hey Clara, I thought I'd mention to you that I tried something different the other day. I'm planning my first demo and I wanted to use a set that I trimmed but hadn't mounted yet... I really had it set aside to use with the vinyl cling or EZmount, but I thought if I wanted to use it for a demo, I could temporarily mount it on wood blocks. But first I wanted to see if I liked the card I made with it. So, I used the trimmed SU stamp, with sticky foam and paper backing still attached and stuck it to an acrylic block that had Tack'n'Peel. It worked like a charm!! It stuck, and then the whole thing came right off with paper backing and all. It's a great way to try out a new set without compromising it in any way. Just thought I'd share that little experiment with you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #171  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3kidsgigiView Post
HELP! I am stuck! I started unmounting a couple of weeks ago. I love the idea, but the journey is proving to be difficult. I am using ez mount with foam, but find that it is really sticky on the edges. Also, I am getting lots of burnt edges with my hot knife. Also, I am stamping the foam side using stazon ink. Does anyone find this unnecessary? I am not sure it will be useful and it sure adds to the difficulty factor. I have made the commitment, and I think I will love it in the end, but I am not sure I am going to make it through the process. I am relatively new to stamping, so I don't have that many sets. I'm not sure how a veteran stamper can get through all of this with so many sets. Please reassure me that I haven't ruined all my beautiful stamps!?! Any helpful tips would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!
I know a lot of people like to stamp the image on the back of the EZmount but I've never done that. If placement is an issue, I'm perfectly comfortable with the Stamp-a-majig anyway. Usually seeing the outline of the rubber through the acrylic block and being able to look at my index (I put them on the CD cases or on a piece of cardstock slipped into the CD case) stickers is enough to stamp where I want it.

I like using the hot knife and sometimes I do notice that it starts to smoke up a bit. Other than the smell though, it doesn't seem to really be burning anything. After awhile if the blade seems a little gummy I shut it off and clean it with a damp cloth.

It is a pretty big undertaking even without having a gazillion sets. I think if it starts getting tiresome, then just take a break for awhile. I started mine in earnest quite some time ago and then just had too much else going on to get to it. I think I'm ready for another spurt of EZmounting!

In the long run, I know unmounted makes a lot more sense for me. I might have mentioned here that keeping just a handful of sets on wood blocks for demo purposes is already a bit of a nuisance now !

Hopefully you'll be able to stick it out and reap the rewards. One thing for sure, you are subscribing to the right thread!! These ladies can help you through anything ~ there's a wealth of experience and amazing generosity expressed here.

Good luck to you!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #172  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so, so happy with my unmounted stamps. No regrets here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #173  
Cardstock Collector

Hey Nancy,
Thanks for the reassurance. I think you are right. I will really love it in the end. So I will trudge on. I think I have decided not to stamp the cling side. It seems to be more trouble than it is worth. As for the burnt edges, maybe I am using the wrong tip. I have been using the dot point tip. My hot knife is brand new. The very first one I did has lots of black around the edges. I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions? Also, I read on the Beeswax site that they recommend using old style album pages for storage. Stamp the image under the clear plastic, and then put the cling side on the outside of the clear side. Is this the old magnetic type pages? Has anyone tried this? I suppose since they recommend it, it won't damage my stamps?!?!? Thanks so much. This is certainly the place to get info. ;-) Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #174  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Also, I read on the Beeswax site that they recommend using old style album pages for storage. Stamp the image under the clear plastic, and then put the cling side on the outside of the clear side. Is this the old magnetic type pages? Has anyone tried this? I suppose since they recommend it, it won't damage my stamps?!?!?
I've stored my EZmounted stamps on pages from magnetic albums since July 2007. My stamps still cling to the blocks just fine, and the EZ mount looks normal except for some (temporary?) gridline impressions left in the foam by the lines of adhesive under the clear sheets on the magnetic sheets. I've noticed that the clear sheets do change in texture from having the EZ mount on it for so long, but I have no idea if this is a symptom of some chemical problem or not. Since I've noticed the gridlines and the change in the clear sheet, I'm keeping an eye on whether the foam or clear sheet change over time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #175  
Cardstock Collector

I don't regret unmounting at all, just make sure you have an amazing organizing/finding system and set it up as you unmount so you don't want to pull all your hair out later.

i also left my favorites mounted and keep them on display shelves above my desk because some stamps truly are art in themselves! plus it gives the room a homey "a stamper lives here" feeling!

good luck!! my unmounting took weeks, so its good you are starting early.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #176  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hey Nancy,
Thanks for the reassurance. I think you are right. I will really love it in the end. So I will trudge on. I think I have decided not to stamp the cling side. It seems to be more trouble than it is worth. As for the burnt edges, maybe I am using the wrong tip. I have been using the dot point tip. My hot knife is brand new. The very first one I did has lots of black around the edges. I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions? Also, I read on the Beeswax site that they recommend using old style album pages for storage. Stamp the image under the clear plastic, and then put the cling side on the outside of the clear side. Is this the old magnetic type pages? Has anyone tried this? I suppose since they recommend it, it won't damage my stamps?!?!? Thanks so much. This is certainly the place to get info. ;-) Kathy
Hi Kathy,

I was just doing some of my EZmounting with the hot knife and it occurred to me what you might be doing. I trim the rubber first, then put the rubber on the EZmount before I trim it with the hot knife. Are you actually trimming the rubber with the hot knife at the same time? I'm not sure it sounded like you were but if so that would explain burning rubber. I'm basically carving the EZmount from around an already trimmed stamp, so rarely actually hit rubber at all ~ just right alongside it.

Now... if you're working with already trimmed stamps too... then I don't know :rolleyes: . Maybe the hot knife is getting too hot? Hope things start running more smoothly for you

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #177  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Nancy,
I also trim the rubber first. It is actually the foam that is burnt around the edges. It is also very sticky. I heard that baby powder is good for that though. I'm still at it. Thanks!!! Kathy ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #178  
Inking Addict

Default Imaging Sets

I justfinished converting my stamps. I decided to eave my background stamps mounted and my alpha stamps - at least those that had already been mounted. No regrets here! I als left some of the small phrases ones

My biggest frustration was I like to have binder that shows all the stamp images in each set - since this wasn't always easy to do, especially if I unmounted them from the wood, I found what I think is a prefect solution

I go to the gallery and print in a word document the Index page for the set - that way, I can keep it in a 3 ring binder - works good when I am trying to think of a design and helps remind me of all the cool stamps that I forgot about

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #179  
Rubber Obsessor

Sewmuch2do,
where do you go in gallery to get index sheets? I am not aware of this but would love to know Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #180  
Glitter Queen

I love my wood mounted stamps and will never unmount them! But I do love unmounted stamps too - most of the stamps I buy these days are unmounted or acrylic! But I love my wooden ones too much to take them apart!
Luckily, I don't have hundreds of them, so they don't take up much space. I have DOZENS of sets of unmounted and acrylic stamps sets, and I hate to think of the storage I'd need if they were all wood mounted!
I prefer acrylic stamps as I can see where I'm stamping, but I find that some inks don't work really well with them (they tend to bead??) whereas I have no trouble with red rubber ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #181  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by judyjrfmView Post
Sewmuch2do,
where do you go in gallery to get index sheets? I am not aware of this but would love to know Thanks
Often the index sheet is the first image for a set. If not, you can always search for 'index' and if there is one that will usually do the trick.

I am in the process of building a binder also. Since most of my stickers are on the CD cases, I will create my own indices simply by stamping the images on a sheet of GP cardstock. For the new SU sets, I'll put the stickers on white cs and slip it into the case, and if I had a lot I would photocopy those for the binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #182  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahthestamperView Post
I love my wood mounted stamps and will never unmount them! But I do love unmounted stamps too - most of the stamps I buy these days are unmounted or acrylic! But I love my wooden ones too much to take them apart!
Luckily, I don't have hundreds of them, so they don't take up much space. I have DOZENS of sets of unmounted and acrylic stamps sets, and I hate to think of the storage I'd need if they were all wood mounted!
I prefer acrylic stamps as I can see where I'm stamping, but I find that some inks don't work really well with them (they tend to bead??) whereas I have no trouble with red rubber ones.
A lot of the acrylic companies suggest that you use a white eraser on their stamps to remove any residue from manufacturing. Also, especially the more solid images (and this is true for SU/rubber also), it helps to rub the stamp briskly against your jeans first.

Crafty Secrets stamps give a perfect image right out of the package. You can also experiment with inks. Each company it seems has their own preference. I like the Palette hybrid inks especially, and Adirondack and Stazon also work well.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:05 AM   #183  
Gabfest Goddess

Default stamps

Here is a storage idea that I did this weekend. This is the dust cover part of the Sizzix tower. I had a few unmounted stamps that I ezmounted to try them out before I unmount all my wood stamps. I think I'll use them more if I can see them. They are hanging on my supply wall in my stamp room.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone with Unmounting regrets??-100_4962.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #184  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
A lot of the acrylic companies suggest that you use a white eraser on their stamps to remove any residue from manufacturing. Also, especially the more solid images (and this is true for SU/rubber also), it helps to rub the stamp briskly against your jeans first.

Crafty Secrets stamps give a perfect image right out of the package. You can also experiment with inks. Each company it seems has their own preference. I like the Palette hybrid inks especially, and Adirondack and Stazon also work well.

HTH!
Thanks so much for the tip! I will defintely give this a go! I have sooo many acrylic stamps (I just can't resist them! LOL!) but don't use them as often as I should for that reason! Now I can stamp away like crazy! Thanks so much for sharing!

As for storage - I recently bought the Tim Holtz U/M Stamp storage case (the metal one) and have the leather binder on order. Does anyone else use these? I'm finding that the tin case is just not big enough for my huge collection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:25 AM   #185  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just had to jump in here and tell you to keep on keeping on. And, I will share my experiences . . . I stamp on the cling side of EZMount with the StazOn and I am sooooo glad I did this because when I pull up a sheet of unmounted stamps I can tell AT A GLANCE which stamp I want. This is ESPECIALLY help with the words.

I tried the hot knife and I HATED it! The knife part was constantly gumming up on me and turned a terrible smelly black. My back got sore from bending over trying to cut it and I just thought it was messy in general!

I use my handy-dandy rubber cutting scissors from SU.

This is my process:

1 - Stamp with black StazOn. Let dry. I usually stamp several sets at a time and set them aside. Peel off all the rubber from the blocks and the foam as well. I'm not too picky about getting the rubber cleaned off perfectly. Some of that stuff is on really good!

2 - Drop kids off at dance and then head to Caribou coffee with my bag of bare rubber stamps to put on my stamped EZmount.

3 - Take the rubber, turn it upside down and position it over your stamped image on the EZmount so that the rubber image is a perfect match to the stamped image. Then, holding it together like a little sandwich with my thumb and forefinger, I cut it out with the rubber cutting scissors. If I have lined it up well, and didn't wiggle too much while I cut, my EZmount is now cut exactly the same as my rubber piece is.

4. Flip the EZmount over, pull off the paper backing stick on the rubber . . . lining it up just the way I cut it and TA DAH! Perfectly mounted! By using the stamped image as my guide, I rarely need a Stamp-a-Ma-Jig with my unmounted rubber stamps. Totally ROCKS!

By not pulling off the paper of the EZMount until second before I am ready to mount my rubber, I never have to deal with stickyness. My scissors get a little bit gunky . . . but not too bad because I do all the trimming of my EZmount with the paper backing still attached.

Hope this helps someone. I unmounted over 300 sets using this method and after a while you get pretty fast as it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #186  
Cardstock Collector

WOW! So much great info! Thanks to all and please keep it coming. I am learning so much. I especially like to idea of cutting before sticking. I had almost given up on stamping the image on the cling side, but this sounds like it will really work. I don't really like the hot knife either, but everyone else seems to love it. I thought I was doing something wrong, but perhaps I am just not patient enough. I just ordered a pair of Tim Holtz scissors non-stick scissors. Can't wait to get those and get to all the stamps I have already pulled off the foam. Actually, I have just a few cheap stamps that I love, but am having a real problem getting to come off the foam. Any suggestions? Thanks again to everyone!!! Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #187  
Rubber Obsessor

The only thing I got into unmounting was rollers.... I find I use them more unmounted.
Though I still have an incresin amount of SU mounted.
Though I go like clear stamps as well.

.. Guess I like the best of all worlds??
I admit, sooner or later storage may be an issue...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #188  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

WOW! So much great info! Thanks to all and please keep it coming. I am learning so much. I especially like to idea of cutting before sticking. I had almost given up on stamping the image on the cling side, but this sounds like it will really work. I don't really like the hot knife either, but everyone else seems to love it. I thought I was doing something wrong, but perhaps I am just not patient enough. I just ordered a pair of Tim Holtz scissors non-stick scissors. Can't wait to get those and get to all the stamps I have already pulled off the foam. Actually, I have just a few cheap stamps that I love, but am having a real problem getting to come off the foam. Any suggestions? Thanks again to everyone!!! Kathy
I have those scissors and I like them better than SU's! And for getting the rubber off of the foam, some are really difficult to get started and then amazingly can come off clean. Some come off so easily, it's' a wonder they ever stuck at all! I used the microwave at 10 seconds to remove foam from the blocks - maybe that works to loosen the rubber from the foam, too. If you get a little residue left, some people leave that on. I would just rub it all off with my thumb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #189  
Glitter Queen

Kathy,
I am so glad to see you here asking questions. i like the idea also of cutting before putting it on the EZ Mount. That will save us from having all that sticky stuff..................that just means I need to go now and buy the scissors to do this. I am ready to get started unmounting again.

jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #190  
Compulsive Stamper

Some people are asking where to get EZ Mount supplies. I get mine from Sunday International. You can call them and talk to them if you want, too. they usually pick up the phone - no tape recorder. They have all of the basic supplies and their web site says that they are the originator of it. They also have finished stamps ready to go for a good price with very good designs from Dee Gruenig and their own designers. When not buying their finished designs, I recommend using a hot knife to make cutting much faster. Use it to only cut the foam cushion and not rubber. Use scissors for the rubber. Cut rubber first, place attach to sticky side of foam and then cut our the foam for a nice clean trim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #191  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: In a place where there is Never enough TIME to stamp

From post # 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
Lucky us - hubby was still awake to take pics! Here you go:

P.S. Bunny sure needs a bath! Can you tell this is my seven-year-old's favorite stamp?

Also, what's missing before the first photo - I stamped the bunny on the foam BEFORE I removed the rubber from the wood mount. Clean stamp, then peel the rubber off.
I loved what Chris Simon did by stamping the image on top of the foam...
And then I had the biggest a ha...
I took the clear sticker and stuck it on the foam. I was hoping the clear sticker would stick to an acrylic block but it didn't, but double stick tape works great! Someone else has probably already thought of this but I thought I was pretty smart! ;) I'll have to take some pics and show you...

Last edited by Ruth Schow; 04-17-2008 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: wanted to add the post # of the quoted
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #192  
Inking Addict

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #193  
Inking Addict

I just started unmounting my stamps this weekend. So far I love it! Using the hot knife makes it very easy to get them done quickly. I know I have along way to go but it'll be worth it as far as storage goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #194  
Cardstock Collector

Speedystamper, I LOVE this method. I have tried it and it works great--especially on the SU stamps which I cut using straight lines. I seem to have some problems with the laser cut curvy stamps though. Any thoughts? Also, my stazon ink comes off on my CD cases--even after I let it sit overnight. I thought it was permanent?!?! Does this every happen to you? Thanks!!!
Kathy ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #195  
Gallery Gazer

Smile

Great info ladies,thanks for sharing. I may be doing this a lot sooner then I expected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #196  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is all a bit overwhelming, and as the previous poster stated, it sounds like something I should do sooner rather than later.

Subscribed!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 04:11 AM   #197  
Compulsive Stamper

No regrest here not for one second! Storage and space were my issues along with a quickly growing collection. If you're curious I posted how I did all my unmountng and storage at my blog in January. Feel free to check it out and ask any questions. You'll love that you did it!

http://cherylhorton.typepad.com/insp...k---stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 04:47 AM   #198  
Rubber Obsessor

I have chose to not unmount. I love all of my acrylic and my wood mounted. I have spend good money to stock my craft room and seeing the difference in price the unmounted SU sets go for on ebay hit me. Alot less then their original state - plus to think of the cost it takes to unmount... EZmount,storage sheets, shipping to get those supplies here.....time to boot. I am fortunate to have enough storage for my wood mounted and I want more supplies so it's an easy choice as to where I spend my money. I just received my demo kit this week - yippee. We will see where I am in a couple of years (150 SU sets now and who knows with CTMH and other acrylic sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #199  
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking Unmounteds and stamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
Some folks have asked about alternatives to CD cases in this thread IIRC. I found CD cases didn't work very well for me, so I tried out another system I like a lot. Here are links to pix and a description in my gallery:
Stamp storage closeup - 2 by Mahloumel at Splitcoaststampers
Stamp storage closeup 1 by Mahloumel at Splitcoaststampers

I just store my UM stamps vertically on cardboard sheets in boxes. I find them very easy to flip through and arrange in categories that work for me. In the pix you'll see I use two different sizes of box. After several months of this method of storage, I find I prefer the smaller box as the cardboard sheets flex more in the larger box, and some of the stamps have a habit of coming off the flexed sheets.

Last night I was in the process of figuring out storage for my Clear stamps and discovered quite by accident that the stamps clung very very very well to glossy card stock. Bingo the lightbulb went on and I got a piece of storyboard that I had in my craft room (I also stitch and story board is used a lot for finishing) and on one side cut a piece of glossy cardstock to fit the size of the story board (4.5" x 7 3/8") and stamped the images of the stamps on the other side of the story board. So one side has the glossy card stock where I store my stamps and the other side has the images stamped on it. I am also putting a label in the upper right hand corner of the image side and putting the pertinent stamp information on it.

I then put them all in a photo box like you get from michaels. I am not sure if the EZ mount will stick to the glossy card stock but I will give it a shot. If not then I will put packing tape on the story board and use that for the rubber mounted sets. I am just in the process of going um for my rubber stamps.

Hugs and thanks for the great information.

Jaunice Minor
Utah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #200  
Embossing Fanatic

This thread has been so informative, thank you very much to everyone who has contributed their experiences and ideas! I recently unmounted 51 of my SU sets - the only ones I didn't do were the backgrounds, alphabets and Flexible Phrases. I also unmounted all my wheels. I had scanned all my index sheets when I got the sets, so printed them all out on regular copy paper (grouped like sets together), and laminated the printed sheets with a hot laminator. I microwaved the stamps briefly to remove them from the wood blocks, and just left the SU foam on the stamps - this turned out to be a bad idea as they were mostly pretty sticky and got very stuck to the laminated sheets and also to my acrylic blocks.

I have now removed ALL the foam - some were very easy and others stayed sticky and needed some elbow grease to get the sticky off, so now I just have the raw rubber in little ziploc bags by set ready for my next mission which is to apply a new method for using with the acrylic blocks.

I am not fussed at all about having cushion, as I use a mouse pad under my card when stamping, so have decided to go with See D's Cling - Reusable Adhesive http://www.goinque.com/asp/product/product.asp?id=602 which I am ordering from http://www.kraftyatkrafts.com/category/see_d_s/?s=6&p=2 - I have a few See D stamp sets and I really love the adhesive they use. We have a glue here in Australia called Off 'n On Glue that is similar to ATIOAO that I have used on a lot of my other UMs and I store them on sheets of thick acetate, but if you don't use your UMs very often, they become quite firmly stuck and can leave gunk on the acetate and on the acrylic block, so that�s why I have decided to go with this product.

I am going to reprint the index sheets onto A4 cardstock, and laminate them again, then cut them in half to A5 and store them like this http://papersnip.wordpress.com/page/2/ (thanks very much for the great pics Kelly!). I will store my unmounted wheel stamps with the sets they go with, and those that don�t have a matching set will be grouped together. I like having my sets together, but am also tossing up the idea of grouping them by theme instead.

Oh, and I kept all my blocks, mostly cos I paid good money for all the sets and it feels wrong to just throw them away!
Reply With Quote Likes