Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone remember my so called friend and her criticism?

Well, she sent an email tonight. I expect she saw that I dumped her on FB but I don't know how to block her emails. Here is what she wrote:
Didn't hear anything back from you since the e-mails. Sorry if my honest critique did not sit well.

FYI.... I am not responding. Who needs friends like her?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I do remember and although she has at least apologised, she's not exactly thought about it, has she - "my honest ciritique"? Hmm, myabe the apology would sound more sincere if she recognised that you were sharing your excitement, not asking for any kind of critique, "honest" or otherwise.

Sounds like you're ready to move on and leave it behind, good for you!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

'Honest critique'? Why sugar coat it? She was being vicious and cruel. Anyone who takes pleasure at hurting others with 'honest critique' is not someone I would want to be friends with, FB or otherwise.
Good for you for not responding, and thanks for the update!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I was wondering too. Thank you so much for the update. She just sounds like she's only happy when she's making people miserable. She thinks she has a new target. Good for you for ignoring her. I know it was hard. I mean if you say something she will be all giddy. If you don't say anything she's all giddy. Not saying anything keeps your sanity and values. I always love this quote "Don't ever argue with an idiot. You lower yourself to their level."

You can make filters in your e-mail client to block her. For example if you use Gmail go to your settings. It looks like a little wrench at the top of the page. Click Filters. You will see a from, to, subject, has the words, doesn't have fields.

Just fill in those fields like the from add her e-mail address. Click create a filter and then you will get another box asking you what you want to do with the e-mail. You can't choose "Bounce it back to her with a bowling ball attached." Usually it's just trash or spam.

The settings should be about the same in any e-mail client you choose.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Good for you! Here's a quote that is applicable: "Silence is the best reply to a fool." Her so-called apology is in my opinion just as rude as her earlier comments. Who needs a person like that in their life?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update - gotta agree with the above posts. Silence is much better and shows what a good person you are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
'Honest critique'? Why sugar coat it? She was being vicious and cruel. Anyone who takes pleasure at hurting others with 'honest critique' is not someone I would want to be friends with, FB or otherwise.
Good for you for not responding, and thanks for the update!
I couldn't have said this better myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
FYI.... I am not responding. Who needs friends like her?
Good call! She's clearly not worth your time or energy.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Silence is golden. Misery loves company etc etc. I had a mean person write to me on my blog for no reason. It was the ONLY mean one, but it hurt. I blocked her from commenting. Life is short, enjoy the hobby and share with those who appreciate the time and effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 831 Likes on 338 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftykarlaView Post
Thanks for the update - gotta agree with the above posts. Silence is much better and shows what a good person you are.
thanks for updating us

I know the silence is golden thing - my Daddy used to tell me that alllll the time when I was in H.S. and getting bullied by mean boys. He kept telling me they would stop if I didn't respond. Well they never did. They kept up until the 11th grade when I had plastic surgery on my nose.

I've always wished I would have told them how much it hurt to have them relentlessly taunt me about my nose and about being 5' 10." I should have told them how I went home in tears most days. It might not have changed their behavior, but it would have made me feel better - empowered somehow to let them own it instead of me.

I still think you should let her know how mean you felt she was and that because of that you no longer wish to be friends with her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're doing exactly the right thing. It's clear now she knew what she was doing and did it anyway. It seems to me she needs a number of friends on Facebook for a reason. I sense an ulterior motive in her question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Good call!! DO NOT RESPOND!! Silence truely is golden!! She doesn't deserve your time to even type out a response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Good move. I'm always amazed how some people think that "I'm sorry YOU got hurt/offended/angry at what I said" is an apology.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with all these other ladies. Especially cdjkssss: what this lady wrote was NOT an apology. She does not see that she did anything wrong, is not apologizing for doing anything wrong, she seems to be only BARELY sorry that her "honest critique" has hurt your feelings at all. The implication being there is nothing wrong with what she did but that you are somehow handling her "proper" actions incorrectly!

Good call not responding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

She's "sorry" alright- just not about what she did! Be glad to be rid of her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #16  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Toxic people hurt and sometimes you just have to let them go. I have even learned to do this with family. You deserve better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I was wondering too. Thank you so much for the update. She just sounds like she's only happy when she's making people miserable. She thinks she has a new target. Good for you for ignoring her. I know it was hard. I mean if you say something she will be all giddy. If you don't say anything she's all giddy. Not saying anything keeps your sanity and values. I always love this quote "Don't ever argue with an idiot. You lower yourself to their level."

You can make filters in your e-mail client to block her. For example if you use Gmail go to your settings. It looks like a little wrench at the top of the page. Click Filters. You will see a from, to, subject, has the words, doesn't have fields.

Just fill in those fields like the from add her e-mail address. Click create a filter and then you will get another box asking you what you want to do with the e-mail. You can't choose "Bounce it back to her with a bowling ball attached." Usually it's just trash or spam.

The settings should be about the same in any e-mail client you choose.
Someone needs to make that upgrade!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

What your "friend" did was just plain mean, spiteful, hurtful and uncalled for. Now to offer a half-hearted "apology" for her so-called "honest critique" goes beyond any semblance of friendship. If you choose not to respond, good for you. She can't derive any further satisfaction from hurting you, and you can simply place her on "ignore" or "reject senders email to junk" (yes, that is an option on my email provider's system).

However, you may wish to consider responding to her, just to finalize the break cleanly, and to leave no uncertainty on her part. Something along the lines of:

When I sent you those pictures, I was quite proud of my efforts, as were the bride and groom, and many others. I was trying to share the excitement of the wedding with you, not asking you for your "honest critique". I am flabbergasted that you felt it necessary to dampen my spirits and my enthusiasm in such a wonderful event with your exceptionally cruel and hurtful words. What exactly did you think your comments were going to generate - grateful thanks that you find my work sub-standard according to your "crafting friends"? As far as I am concerned, you have done nothing but irreparably damage our friendship, to the extent that I no longer wish to be in contact with you. Enjoy your life.

Now of course, it may also help to just type this out in Word and then save the file without sending it. I find that sometimes just typing out a response such as this is soothing all on it's own.

I hope you are still proud of your work - it was beautiful, and hopefully great things come from the contact with the restaurant owner!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
Good move. I'm always amazed how some people think that "I'm sorry YOU got hurt/offended/angry at what I said" is an apology.
I agree with this as well, what she sent was NOT an apology and certainly not a heartfelt one. Nobody needs friends like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the update. I am so sorry that this happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #21  
Nic
Compulsive Stamper

I have been so entertained reading the responses from the women on this site. You have gotten some really awesome advice. But may I add....
1- Your ex-friend is mean. How did she think her critique would help, that you would turn back the clock and redo the items for the wedding that already happened.
2 - Your ex-friend is crazy. Those items looked very appropriate to me and classy too. And did I mention beautiful.
3 - Your ex-friend is jealous. She had to mention that she has friends who do papercrafting in her crafting circle. (I could not help but remember in Pride and Prejudice when that mean Lady Catherine says something like, "I would have been very accomplished at music if I had ever learned." duh)
4 - Your ex-friend is very unlucky. She has now lost a friend like you who would put so much work into her son and daughter-in-laws wedding. Your daughter-in-law is very lucky.

Keep at it and thanks for filling us in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

I would definitely answer her and tell her that you cannot accept an apology that isn't actually an apology. She realizes that what she said was hurtful. Otherwise, her wording would be different in the email she sent you. She knows why you unfriended her. She just doesn't want to apologize, because she obviously doesn't value your friendship. Answer her. Tell her just how you feel. Then block her from your emails, your mind, and your heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

This was very well written, I would copy and paste this response, and then block her email! With permission from flash&rusty of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
What your "friend" did was just plain mean, spiteful, hurtful and uncalled for. Now to offer a half-hearted "apology" for her so-called "honest critique" goes beyond any semblance of friendship. If you choose not to respond, good for you. She can't derive any further satisfaction from hurting you, and you can simply place her on "ignore" or "reject senders email to junk" (yes, that is an option on my email provider's system).

However, you may wish to consider responding to her, just to finalize the break cleanly, and to leave no uncertainty on her part. Something along the lines of:

When I sent you those pictures, I was quite proud of my efforts, as were the bride and groom, and many others. I was trying to share the excitement of the wedding with you, not asking you for your "honest critique". I am flabbergasted that you felt it necessary to dampen my spirits and my enthusiasm in such a wonderful event with your exceptionally cruel and hurtful words. What exactly did you think your comments were going to generate - grateful thanks that you find my work sub-standard according to your "crafting friends"? As far as I am concerned, you have done nothing but irreparably damage our friendship, to the extent that I no longer wish to be in contact with you. Enjoy your life.

Now of course, it may also help to just type this out in Word and then save the file without sending it. I find that sometimes just typing out a response such as this is soothing all on it's own.

I hope you are still proud of your work - it was beautiful, and hopefully great things come from the contact with the restaurant owner!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #24  

Received 831 Likes on 338 Posts

Quote:

This was very well written, I would copy and paste this response, and then block her email! With permission from flash&rusty of course.

Yes, what she said
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

copy and paste away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walk away, no response is necessary. There will be no closure. She will not get the outstanding response suggested to you to cut and paste and you will not feel any satisfaction. She will only take this as another opportunity to engage.

If you have an opportunity to pick up the latest issue of "MORE" magazine, there is an excellent article written by the "dumped friend". It sounds so similar to your situation (and mine). It will help you to understand her position...and therefore yours. She wants you and you're done, period.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow Westiemom I'm so sorry. I truly don't understand why some people are so toxic.

Firstly, IMHO do what you can live with and what will give you closure.

You have excellent advice here on a variety of ways to handle this situation, however only you know you and you know how you can best move on.

I wish you peace, tranquility and many more years of beautiful crafting and sharing with appreciative audiences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Dear Westiemom,
I had not heard about your situation before this but could figure out generally what this former acquaintance said. Then i had to go and find your original thread. What a rude person. People never cease to amaze me. You have lots of great advice from your friends and supporters here at SCS. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it allows you to let go of this inaccurate critique of your work. I went and looked at your great creative pieces in your gallery and they are all FABULOUS! I would be proud to have this with my name attached to it and I know anyone everyone else feels the same way. Your former friend and her crafter friends do not have the monopoly on paper arts. In this great world of crafting the one rule I always try to remember is that there is no wrong. The second rule is that we always support fellow crafters in a positive way. Good luck to you and may your work continue to please everyone else. It sure is perty great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Maybe

Last edited by dacpam; 08-12-2012 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Good for you! I don't think that woman deserves anymore of your time or thought. She sure wasn't thoughtful of you. Although, you've gotten good advice about how to respond if you do wish to make it clear to her how you feel. Thank you for the update.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

In her very toxic way she is acknowledging that her critique of your work was offensive. She knows that, but she is not apologizing for that, only trying to get you to engage her so she can jab you some more with insults.

If you don't wish to reply, skip to the blocking part of this paragraph. If you want closure enough to reply to her, email her a short, to-the-point reply. Something like this: "I was sharing my excitement for my son's wedding invitations being done and how my efforts were well received by the attendees. I was not seeking an insulting critique. Now that I know your true colors, I do not wish to be friends. Please do not contact me again." Then block her emails, block her phone calls, block her from your blog, and never look back. And one more thing: I would make sure to never read her correspondence, ever again. Her words are poison, and you don't need words like that rolling around in your head.

Hugs to you! I feel your pain. {{{WestieMom}}}

Last edited by neece; 08-11-2012 at 02:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacpamView Post
Maybe you should email her back with the link to this thread! Let her read what all of us think about her comments! Maybe that would open her eyes a bit wider.
NOOOOOOOO!!!! Can imagine letting such a person loose on our boards and galleries!!!!! (But yeah, I know what you mean in a this many people disagree with your "critique" sort of way)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL at her response. That is just laughable.
I don't know what email you have, but if it is Yahoo (I have yahoo), one quick option is to checkmark her email, and mark it "spam". It won't block her emails, but in the future, all her emails will go to your Spam folder and you will not see them in your Inbox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacpamView Post
Maybe you should email her back with the link to this thread! Let her read what all of us think about her comments! Maybe that would open her eyes a bit wider.
I was thinking the same thing too! And let her know that you don't accept her apology because its not a real, heartfelt apology. If she was truly sorry, she would be sorry for HER actions/words, NOT for your response to them. Its like the thief saying he's sorry he got caught, not that he committed the crime... She must be pretty jealous and insecure in her own crafting abilities that she has to bash your creativeness and ride of the coattails of her "friends in her crafting circle" (sounds like a bunch of bull and unwarranted conceit to me). I think everyone is right in that you need to dump this toxic person from your life. Who needs friends like that! - EXACTLY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with RiverIsis....please don't link the evil ex-friend to SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

When life hands you lemons....

Anyone else think we should have a what sort card would you send to a toxic friend card challenge? :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #37  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
When life hands you lemons....

Anyone else think we should have a what sort card would you send to a toxic friend card challenge? :twisted:
This could be the card you're looking for:
U suck by denier - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Good for you ignore any further email. And delete them and feel good that you're deleting the negative out of your life. You deserve real friends who support everything you do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

FYI

Last edited by dacpam; 08-12-2012 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

River Isis. I would to like finish your quote.
When life gives you lemons.. go and find the person whose life gave them vodka. (Lemon drops)
Reply With Quote Likes