Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-30-2004, 05:41 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have their own scrapbooking business?

Hi, besides my family, my first love is scrapbooking. I've been doing it now for about 15 yrs. and I love making albums. I've even made one for a man that I work with, to prepose to his girlfriend. Since this is my passion, I'm thinking of ways to make money at it. Many people have said to me, "oh if I just had enough time" or "I'm not creative" and they wish they had someone to make one for them. I would love to start making albums for people. I know that money might be an issue. People might not want to pay for my time and products. I'm thinking of making some bus. cards and pamphlits or flyers. I'm also a SU demo. so that might help. I'm wondering if anyone out there might have any helpful hints or words of advise as to how to start a venture like this. Thanks a bunch

--GO SMOKE!--

"I've learned that when you have pains, you don't have to be one!"
-Maya Angelou
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 06:10 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

I have also been contemplating doing this. I will be accepting a severance package at the end of the year and trying to figure out what I want to do in my next career. I have had a few individuals ask me to create some books for them and have given many others as gifts. If you get additional information will you please post or pm me?
Thanks
Sandra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I started having scrap camps once a week. I design a two page layout and people come and pay $10.00 to learn how to make the pages. I too love scrapbooking but for me time is the problem. I also work full time so have not been able to jump full speed ahead. I also do birthday parties, bridal showers and baby showers where the guests come and make a page for the guest of honor. Its a real treat for the guest as they get to go home with an album made with love by their friends. My biggest selling point to my customers is they don't have to bring anything but glue and scissors, I supply the rest and they get to learn as they go. I have created some of my best SU customers this way. I believe I could really do well if I had time to search for more customers. Good luck and keep me posted on your sucesses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 06:17 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default I have been doing this for the past 4 years

I just wanted to let you know that there is money to be made out there I have actually done alot of scrapbooks for different people and truly once they see the finished book money has never been a issue I even had one person aske me if I was sure that, that was enough (I charged 800.00 dollars and he wanted to pay me 1000.00 ) I am currently working on 2 scrapbooks for the same family one for each of their kids and they already know the price will be 1500.00 if not more??? Dont get me wrong I have done ones that have cost less but never below 150.00

So good luck and happy stampin...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 06:38 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

WOW!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :P :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't imagine getting $800 for a scrapbook. Although it's definately worth it!!!!! Good for you!!!
Scrappingoodtime, what good ideas about parties and showers. How do you charge for something like that?? Would you have to charge the person giving the shower? I wonder how I would advertise something like that?

GREAT IDEAS LADIES------KEEP'EM COMING!!!

--GO SMOKE!--

-Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 07:47 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! I have made a few scrapbooks for people, but never did I get that much. I kind of watched how long it took me and charged by page. I got $80 for one book, and a little over $100 for another. Then I did a x-mas themed one for $60 (it only had a few pages filled, but I made up other pages so they could add their own pics.)

I was kind of going by a smaller 6x6 book would be about $4 a page
8x11 was $5-$6 a page
and 12x12 was $8-$10 a page.

It depended on what I added on it and if I used a lot of paper/embellishments or not. I also asked for $20 up front for basic supplies (adhesive, stickers for their theme, and scrapbook).

I loved doing it, but I never could figure out how to actually put myself out there for it. I got a few of these by word of mouth and then it just died out. I wish I could do more of these.

I would love to watch this post for more tips.

Glitter Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 09:29 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Default scrapbooks

A good place to market yourself would be craft shows. Bring examples of finished books...have different price points for different sized books and have examples of your work. Example: a 20 page 6X6 album is $$$ a 40 page 81/2 X 11 is $$$ and a 12X12 is $$$ that way people can see what kind of work you do and then decide. Of course you don't know exactly how many pages it will turn out to be but that is just a starting point...you could say it is an extra ??? per page after 20. I would just make sure that people had doubles of all of their photos that way if for some crazy reason they were upset they still would have the picture. Just a thought!

Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I am attaching a great link for you...HTH

http://www.creativescrapbooking.com/..._for_bucks.htm
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 12:21 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have never heard of anyone paying so much for a scrapbook...maybe I need to reconcider doing that ....but of course I would not have time for my albums or SCS!!!

My very close friend did an album for one of our other friends and charged for all supplies plus $10 or 15 an hour. I do not recall how much it was in the end but she did not lose on it. I know she spent some time scanning things in and printing them out and there were only a few pictures on a page but it turned out awesome! (it was a military type album for a family member that served in WWII and had passed already) so there was some real work in recreating the history. When our friend looked at the book she cried.....I think she would have paid 1000 bucks for it at that point!!!!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great Site Mel...thanks for sharing!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 12:34 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

alasku2stamp

What a great link. I don't have the time to do anything like that but that should help those who want to start a business to get started.

And....hello...$1000 for a scrapbook? How many pages, how many pictures? One scrapbook? I'm sure it was worth every penny, but WOW!!

I have a box full of my moms pictures. I had intended to scrapbook them. But I am afraid to do anything to them. Plus, I don't know who alot of them are. And since it was going to be a suprise, that wouldn't work.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 01:42 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

This is unbelievable...I recently had someone approach me about doing a small book for her family. I think that I am going to do some serious thought about this...there is money to be made out there!!!

What a great article that was, thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 02:47 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mel, That was an AWESOME site! Thanks for sharing.
I am not scrapbooker but can fully appreciate the time, effort and design that is put into scrapbooking.
I would LOVE to be able to pay someone to do a scrapbook for me..but I think 1000 is WAY out of my range.
I'd love to see pictures of that scrapbook though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

To anyone of you that has charged for this service, do you have pictures of some of the finished pages??
Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Mel, you rock!! I have looked all over the internet and haven't found anything close to the info on that site!!! I can't wait to get started.
There is that problem of not being able to get anything for myself done. I am afraid of that to. Well, I will definately not start anything until my Christmas cards are done
Thanks again for all the great info ladies!!!

--GO SMOKE!--

-Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Default Scrapbook Business

This topic is so interesting.........................I never thought of doing this.

I wonder if prices would vary by area of the country.

Blue Eyed Angel, in what area of the country do you sell the scrapbooks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2004, 02:27 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylebb1
I just wanted to let you know that there is money to be made out there I have actually done alot of scrapbooks for different people and truly once they see the finished book money has never been a issue I even had one person aske me if I was sure that, that was enough (I charged 800.00 dollars and he wanted to pay me 1000.00 ) I am currently working on 2 scrapbooks for the same family one for each of their kids and they already know the price will be 1500.00 if not more??? Dont get me wrong I have done ones that have cost less but never below 150.00

So good luck and happy stampin...
HOLY COW! I want those customers! Boy are you lucky! I have been approached by family members telling me I should go into business making scrapbooks, but when I tell them that one like my DD's album would run at least $300 they say that most people will balk at that! What can I say, I live in an area that won't take that kind of market. I would LOVE to live in an area that I could make that kind of money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 03:34 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

KITTT. Any other thoughts on this? Great topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

It is true. I think you have to be in a certain part of the country to be able to charge that much. I felt guilty charging $50 for the one I did. I am in a suburb though, I think that if I advertised somewhere in one of the big cities that I'm surrounded by, it might go a little better. Whatever we charge, it's definately worth it. And if people don't agree, than they simply don't have to have it done. I'm thinking of expanding what I do. Maybe decorating for parties, making goodie bags for kids parties, crafts at these parties. There's so many ideas, we just need to find a market. My sister just started embroidering on shirts, headbands, and scarfs-in school colors and names of school mascots about a yr ago. Now her and her partner are so busy she can't handle it!!! She obviously found a market in her area!! And you have to know how to market yourself and advertise!!! Those are not my strong suite. I live in a city with about 30,000 middle classers. I hope I can find a market!!!

--GO SMOKE!--

-Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 11:02 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great idea to make $$ from your talents!

I heard once from a employee of our Scrapbook store that there is someone in our area that charges to create scrapbooks. I think the base was at least $200.00 for supplies and then more for the number of photos etc. One was all golf for $800.00+

So I think there is money to be made in this effort! Time is something so many people don't have enough of. You might also want to check out ebay for ideas. I know I have seen more before just couldn't find them today. And I was tempted to bid on one for my wedding. I am new to scrapping so have to get in the grove Good luck

I did a quick search and could only find

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...151007122&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...939506201&rd=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I have only just begun to scrap-stamp about a year ago, and i have 4 completed albums just on my family. They are 12x12, and i dont think i could put a $$ amount on it !! My daughter has a 8.5X 11 album, and i have had my mom and grandmother send me pictures to make a page that they framed, instead of putting in a book. I have been told i should get my name out there, but being so new to it, i really dont know if i have the confidence yet, like the woman in that article has.
I would really love to do this for people, and make good $$. Seems like a "no-brainer" and a "no-way" at the same time. :lol: ..lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I just started my own scrapping business. I would eventually like to make custom-made scrapbooks for people because that is where the real money is, but for now I'm getting started on eBay! I make pre-made layouts, page kits and mini-albums, and so far I am doing pretty well. The great thing about eBay is there is always SOMEONE out there wanting to buy what you're selling! It takes some time to get established, but there are ladies selling things for unbelieveable prices on eBay! It's worth checking out. Go to eBay, type "paper piecing" in the search box, and then set it to sort all items starting with the highest price first! You'll be amazed!
Reply With Quote Likes