Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else waiting impatiently

for some sort of news from today's convention attendees? I keep checking back, and nothing. Is there nothing else new to tell us? Or are they saving it up to the end? Come on, enquiring minds want to know!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL...LOL... I was just wondering this myself.... What's the scoop???

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh thank goodness you said that, i thought I was delusional. I know we heard the announcements the first time but I want it all again. Did they take all the computers away?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,
I am attending this week. Nothing really new to report from what was said about last week.
ie—the displays are out of this world
—the WOW demo's are awesome--great new ideas for the punches (lots of layered flowers on stems--lots of punching out centers of images that you wouldn't think of) A guy demo from Las Vegas is giving a demo on using the spectrum pads. It was great.
—Shelley was awesome today (it is my first convention). I was very impressed with her talk on dreams (that is the theme--Dream Big) She is so nice.
—the lunch was great--Asian chicken salad and a cookie.
—the bags are great. Big and roomy
—The Pajamaorama or whatever last night was really fun. The Make & Takes are great and give great samples and ideas to use. I probably liked getting to use the Cropodile for several different things the best. I am definitely getting one of those.
—I was really sad that they didn't limit the number of ribbon key chains people could buy the first day so all of us attending got a chance to get one. I guess many who didn't make it to Convention will get them instead since some demo's bought many first thing in the morning. They went through 2500 in the first 2 hours it was open.
—The weather is great.
—The swaps are wonderful. Everyone has brought such great swaps.
I guess that is about it so far. I really don't think there is going to be anything new from last week but we will see.
Anyway hope that helps all of you itching for news. Wish I had new stuff to say but it is great.
Darnly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Default pics of your make & takes?

Does anyone have pics of the Make & Takes you got to make? I'm curious to see them!
Andra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by darnlyView Post
Hi,
I am attending this week. Nothing really new to report from what was said about last week.
ie—the displays are out of this world
—the WOW demo's are awesome--great new ideas for the punches (lots of layered flowers on stems--lots of punching out centers of images that you wouldn't think of) A guy demo from Las Vegas is giving a demo on using the spectrum pads. It was great.
—Shelley was awesome today (it is my first convention). I was very impressed with her talk on dreams (that is the theme--Dream Big) She is so nice.
—the lunch was great--Asian chicken salad and a cookie.
—the bags are great. Big and roomy
—The Pajamaorama or whatever last night was really fun. The Make & Takes are great and give great samples and ideas to use. I probably liked getting to use the Cropodile for several different things the best. I am definitely getting one of those.
I was really sad that they didn't limit the number of ribbon key chains people could buy the first day so all of us attending got a chance to get one. I guess many who didn't make it to Convention will get them instead since some demo's bought many first thing in the morning. They went through 2500 in the first 2 hours it was open. —The weather is great.
—The swaps are wonderful. Everyone has brought such great swaps.
I guess that is about it so far. I really don't think there is going to be anything new from last week but we will see.
Anyway hope that helps all of you itching for news. Wish I had new stuff to say but it is great.
Darnly
I was at first session... they did last past the first day... but not long. I stupidly didn't buy one as I wished it had all the originals in it instead of just pretty combinations (DUMB ME!)

Add to the suggestion flips in the marketing area to put limits on the purchase of items... (it will match my suggetion!) it should be easy for them to do! Even if they limited for the first full day it would give everyone a chance... then they could go no limit after that.

HOPE YOU'RE HAVING FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default General Session Day 2

I'm pretty sure everything was reported during 1st session, but here are a few highlights.

The general session opened up with some company stats. Bottom line, the company is doing great. (Don't want to bore non demos with this news...)

Shelli came on stage and as always lloked beautiful! She talked about (and demo'ed!) some beautiful home decor projects covering the following: shabby chic, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Winter. Absolutely beautiful ideas for making garland. Lots of stuff I plan on case- ing for sure!

Jaron and Jodi demo'd party decorations- cute, cute stuff!! Jaron sang (always a treat!) and there was a lot of talk about upcoming Marketing strategies.

All in all a great general session!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannacourtView Post
I'm pretty sure everything was reported during 1st session, but here are a few highlights.

The general session opened up with some company stats. Bottom line, the company is doing great. (Don't want to bore non demos with this news...)

Shelli came on stage and as always lloked beautiful! She talked about (and demo'ed!) some beautiful home decor projects covering the following: shabby chic, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Winter. Absolutely beautiful ideas for making garland. Lots of stuff I plan on case- ing for sure!

Jaron and Jodi demo'd party decorations- cute, cute stuff!! Jaron sang (always a treat!) and there was a lot of talk about upcoming Marketing strategies.

All in all a great general session!!
Hey! Were you posting this and talking to me on the phone??? You are too good;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by darnlyView Post
�the lunch was great--Asian chicken salad and a cookie.
LOL I guess that's totally a matter of opinion. No one in my group ate it, and everyone at the dinner said how thankful they were for "a decent meal."

I didn't eat today's lunch, either, and we're just going to plan to eat out tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Wink www.anker.ca

I'm posting on my blog daily (at least)!
Its mostly a personal blog but it comes complete with photos!!!

Dina

That Crazy Canadian from the Front row!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I went to 1st session and I have to say the food was gross. This was my first convention and probably my last. I (thats my opinion) did not feel it was worth $250. Maybe this one was just bad because I have only heard WONDERFUL thing s about past conventions. I liked the wow demos but wonder if I should have spent $250 on new catalog items like the crock o dile. I also didn't like doing all the make in takes on one night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

This was my first convention and I have already started saving for next year:-) I loved it and so thought it was worth the $250. I thought all the demos were great and good pratical achievable advice in the classes. The asian salad left alot to be desired - the sub sandwich the next day was a bit better and yum I loved the chicken wrap. For my first convention, I was happy with the majority of swaps I got. I was the one with the pick a petal face card and the friendship purse card. They were very popular and made me feel good that people liked my cards:-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Default www.anker.ca

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinapeaView Post
I'm posting on my blog daily (at least)!
Its mostly a personal blog but it comes complete with photos!!!

Dina

That Crazy Canadian from the Front row!!

My Blog is at www.anker.ca

I'm loving most every minute of it. There are a few cranky people but for the most part, Denver if fantastic, women are wonderful, the food is great...the noodle dish yesterday was yummy. I especially like that the food is healthy! No chips or chocolate (do you count a chocolate cookie). I felt satisfied but not overfull!!

Dina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by FargoNicoleView Post
This was my first convention and I have already started saving for next year:-) I loved it and so thought it was worth the $250. I thought all the demos were great and good pratical achievable advice in the classes. The asian salad left alot to be desired - the sub sandwich the next day was a bit better and yum I loved the chicken wrap. For my first convention, I was happy with the majority of swaps I got. I was the one with the pick a petal face card and the friendship purse card. They were very popular and made me feel good that people liked my cards:-).
Is that how much a crop-o-dile is in USA? (joking?) Not sure why you had a bad time here. I used airmiles to come here, split a hotel with someone I met on the SU website demo part and for over $100 (Canadian price) in the 4 sets we got, I felt really satisfied. The jammy party (pajamas) was fun, I am here solo and never feel left out in any way. Denver is also so quaintly beautiful, warm and with that Mall St (16th street) so close, you got all you need within a 2 block radius!!:p

I'm putting 1000% in energy, enthusiasm and taking in everything that this has to offer, its my first time as I said so I come here with out any comparison.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by clogueView Post
I went to 1st session and I have to say the food was gross. This was my first convention and probably my last. I (thats my opinion) did not feel it was worth $250. Maybe this one was just bad because I have only heard WONDERFUL thing s about past conventions. I liked the wow demos but wonder if I should have spent $250 on new catalog items like the crock o dile. I also didn't like doing all the make in takes on one night.
I'm sorry that you were disappointed. I really don't know what you expected that didn't meet your expectations.

Perhaps you have not attended many such events. As a teacher, we often attend ONE DAY seminars that the average cost being $150-$175...with no freebies and no lunches provided. So $250 for four full days of fabulous business ideas, tips and info...with free products, and lunches on top of that is a huge bargin.

I have to agree that the lunches served at the Salt Palace in SLC are a bit better but these were not gross.

I hope that you might reconsider and attend next year's convention and celebrate SU!'s 20th. anniversary with us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I went to first session an they gave me a Canadian catalog and mini. So here I was thinking that the prices went up more than I thought. I wasn't until today when a fellow demo came over to see my swaps and I mentioned the Simply Srapping kits went up to $27, did I realize I had been given the wrong catalog. I thought to myself boy how am I going to sell such expensive items. Silly me! SU is sending me a replacement.
http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/jenniferjones/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know that it's fair to judge the entire convention by the food, but I have to agree that it's been gross. I do not care for Asian food in general, and my noodles yesterday were slimey. I do not like deli turkey, either, and today that too was slimey. My DL and I are just going to go out tomorrow and skip the lunch there. I do not feel like I have gotten my money's worth in that aspect as I have had to buy myself expensive convention center lunches both days so far.

Other than that, though I get that some of you are happy with the healthy choices, I miss the ice cream they usually have. I think there should be tasty options for those of us who wish to partake. I think it is less about healthy and more about saving money... and that's ok, but I'm still a little disappointed.

However, that said, I have thoroughly enjoyed the AM sessions. The interior design stuff Shelli did today got me totally pumped to have home decor classes and make purty stuff for my house. The demos by the SU! staff have been amazing, and I loved seeing Michelle Fischer, an artisan award winner, on stage and sharing her ideas. Her's was sadly the shortest of the presentations, but certainly the best IMHO.

I will not likely attend convention again, as it's just too expensive for a hobby demo like me. I agree with the poster above who said that professional conferences are very expensive usually. There is a 4-day education convention coming here to Denver in October, doesn't include any lunch or breakfast, and is $650. Materials such as the publications that go along with the training have to be bought separately at a minimum of another $100. SU!'s convention is cheap in comparison.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelisView Post
LOL I guess that's totally a matter of opinion. No one in my group ate it, and everyone at the dinner said how thankful they were for "a decent meal."

I didn't eat today's lunch, either, and we're just going to plan to eat out tomorrow.
Interesting. Everyone at my table (different people both days) ate it--well I take that back. I only ate half the bread today and 3/4 the noodles yesterday and both days saved the cookies to eat on my drive home.

I guess it is just like stamps, accessories and most things--we all have different opinions.

Aren't we glad we are different. Makes for a wonderfully colorful, interesting life.
Darnly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Everyone at my table yesterday was unhappy w/ the asian salad - except for me - I thought the chicken was delicious and the noodles were fine (but I was very hungry so that helps)

Okay, here is one thing I don't remember seeing previously - DBWS will be free to every demonstrator for 2 months. All you have to do is register and first 2 months are FREE - and if you already have a website through SU, then you don't have to register.

I know there was something else, but now I'm drawing a blank.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Jaron sang today and he was VERY good. Wow.

And the hula-dancing executives were a hoot! I have a pretty good picture if anyone wants to see it.

I just hope they get the quality issues with the build a brad straightened out so I can order some already!! I was going to NOT get the pretties kit, but I may just have to b/c everything is so.....well, pretty. (I have 3 boys so I tend to not get very excited over flowers.)

I didn't care for the Asian salad but today was better. What really was the pits yesterday was that they ran out of water!! And all of the workers were just shrugging their shoulders at us....not even trying to do anything about it. And I want ice cream carts like they had in Salt Lake!!

I'm here with my family and my 5 year old just cracks me up when we're all wandering around together.....he grabs my arm and says "Mommy! There's a blue bag!" He kept pointing out the same group at the Hard Rock tonight with their blue bags. He thinks I know everyone just because I have the same bag!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, so far the lunches suck! Good thing my sis and bro in law are up to going out for dinner!

Quote:

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

I am at home and my wife Rebecca is at convention. Here's a couple of bits and pieces from Rebecca's nightly phone calls to me.

-Rebecca was in awe of shelli's home decor projects.

-She has eaten 3 times at a place called Tokyo Joe's. Raving about it and she wishes we had one near us. Eat there if you still have time left.

-Rebecca said that Jaren (sp?) is a great singer and almost as funny as I am. ok, Rebecca said he was very funny - I added the almost as funny as part.

-She thought the marketing dept has a great plan for getting the SU name out there. Sounds like they are really going to drive people to the SU website and that in turn should get people using the demo locator.

-From what I hear, the $250 convention fee does NOT cover the cost for each demo to be there. SU gives a huge amount away in freebies and incentives over the course of a year. Over the years I have worked for and run many sales companies and can say you demos are working with a great company! Shhhh, don't let SU hear this but from a business point of view, I think they are almost giving TOO much away.

It seems most people have enjoyed convention and I can't wait until next years 20th. It should be very exciting. I am even thinking of attending so we may need to get a men's dinner club going! The only other convention I was at was 10 years ago in San Diego. Mrs. fields was the speaker and gave away cookies. That was the one day I was late picking up my wife - so no cookies for me. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Regarding marketing, I did pick up the Cards magazine that has SU projects on the cover. In addition to that, I noticed there's a Stampin Up drawing advertised in there...very cool! I don't remember any national prize drawings like this before...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggidyView Post
I'm here with my family and my 5 year old just cracks me up when we're all wandering around together.....he grabs my arm and says "Mommy! There's a blue bag!" He kept pointing out the same group at the Hard Rock tonight with their blue bags. He thinks I know everyone just because I have the same bag!
What a great story!!! I can just see him saying that. Kids are the greatest people....

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

You know, the food they put together for events like this come from the Convention Centers themselves, not Stampin' Up. They seem to be mediocre at best no matter what or where the event. I never go to a Regional event expecting to be wow-ed by the food!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Special surprise for session 2-ers today! They gave away make and take supplies from the PJ party! I won a great pack of pads and stamps! Hurray for SU!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Special surprise for session 2-ers today! They gave away make and take supplies from the PJ party! I won a great pack of pads and stamps! Hurray for SU!!!!
Good things happen to good people, friend!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Woohoo for you, Melissa! Gotta be that good Karma comin' back your way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

My upline just emailed me that one lady from our group won supplies, too!
-I have to go next year! (not that I EVER win anything ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I don't usually win stuff and I won a free stamp set and a spool of the wide chocolate gross grain. WooHooo. I am a hobby demo, I came by myself and I had a fabulous time! I will DEFINITELY come again. (yes it was expensive but i used some points to get here and the friend i made here made it all worthwhile) I met her on the plane and we have been together all week! I met 4 other great friends at the SCS dinner! Thanks Melissa for all your hard work! and countless other nice Demos that made me feel welcome!! and my teammate won one of those free cruise trips today! it was so fun hanging with all these stampin girls!

I also have some of the make n takes pictured on my blog.
Please Visit MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes