Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone else stalking up on stamp sets they think may retire this year.

I am already buying as many stamp sets now thinking I'm afraid they are going to retire and hate to lose out on them.so I'm stalking up now and buying what I want before the retired list comes out.Especially those that are more for scrappin.Since I have so many flowers I am actually passing up on some of those in the spring mini.

I have made a list of all the stamp sets I want from the catalog and each month I buy only what is on the list hoping it doesn't grow too much before the retired list comes out.then maybe by then I won't have so much to get at the last minute and will have what I want before there gone.

Then once the new catalog comes out I can buy nothing but the newest ones from there.I hope the summer mini catalog rots.so i have money for the big catalog.

what are your plans on buying before your favorites go on the retired list.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I wait until they release the retiring list in May. If something is on the list that I REALLY REALLY want I have May & June to buy it.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I go through the catalog and put a star or something next to the sets I have wavered on buying, if any turn up on the retired list, then I usually buy them. So far, not too many I have on this list, which is good, cause I'll save up for the new one.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I have a couple in mind that I have lived with okay so far, but will definitely get if they show up on the retired list. I am going to wait until then, since I have lived without them this long. (Oh my, that actually sounds responsible)
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I "stalk" a lot of stamps, even if I think they're not going to retire!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #6  
Sassy Shani

bwahahahah.....my thoughts exactly! I stalk tons of stamps as well as stock tons of stamps!
Quote:

Originally Posted by spammie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Last year I took advantage of the sale that SU had - I believe it was if you buy 4 retired sets, you would get 1 set for free. I had just started with SU and so I bought 15 sets :eek: I'm hoping SU has the same sale this year, just before the new catalogue is available.
C

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 05:05 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I used to spend way too much on impulse buying when the retiring list came out. A few years ago, I started making a list of the stamp sets I would want to buy if they were on the list. I do this before the list comes out. Then when the list is available, I check it against my list and buy the ones that are on both lists. Last year I had about 12 sets on my list, but only 3 of them ended up on the retiring list. It sure saved me from buying 12 sets all at once.

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

yah but at least you now have sets that you wanted.and not only that you now just lowered the numbered of sets on your wish list and got them much faster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by shecooks
Then when the list is available, I check it against my list and buy the ones that are on both lists. Last year I had about 12 sets on my list, but only 3 of them ended up on the retiring list.
That's a really good idea! I have several sets marked in the catalog that I'm interested in. I've been buying a couple a month, but of course, the winter mini and spring mini have messed that up. I need to make a written list to give me a guideline. When do they publish the retiring list? Is it in May to give us time to buy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, it is typically released to demonstrators May 1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by spammie
I stamp in cammies just for this reason....

My stampin' budget is limited, so I really don't plan on buying a set unless I think it WON'T retire. I may buy one or two when the list comes out, but only if I think they will be either something I'll use myself, or something that will be highly sought after in a few years...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelineeBeenie
Last year I took advantage of the sale that SU had - I believe it was if you buy 4 retired sets, you would get 1 set for free. I had just started with SU and so I bought 15 sets :eek: I'm hoping SU has the same sale this year, just before the new catalogue is available.
C

OOPS! Sorry Gang. This sale was put on by my demo Eleonor. It wasn't a SU sale. I found this out last night when I was at her class. I hope I didn't confuse anyone else except myself. :confused:

C

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 10:11 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I am planning on waiting for the list to come out to see if there is anything I can't live without.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 01:12 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I heard... thru the rubber line, that if we get our May Stampin Success publication mid April, we should know from that, but being newbie this year, I'm not sure if that is accurate or not :confused: I will probably get something I cannot live without, and just love , have to have, or think I can make some great cards with in my style, but not alot I hope! My fear is that nicer things will come out in the new catty, lol. eeeek!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:55 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I've gotten more into stamping this year, so when the new catalog came out, I sat down and made a list of all the stamp sets I wanted. As the year has gone by, I have bought quite a few of them. As I do, I highlight them on my list, as it is getting difficult to remember what I have. Now, when the retired list comes out, I will compare it against my unhighlighted sets, and make the purchases that I want. This whole thing with not too many of the mini sets getting into the big catalog has thrown everything into turmoil, though. That has to be your first priority now, or you may never get the chance again.
I am kicking myself for not getting Mixed Bouquet. That was before the big announcement. I am just hoping it makes it into the new catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 04:12 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by blujay
I heard... thru the rubber line, that if we get our May Stampin Success publication mid April, we should know from that, but being newbie this year, I'm not sure if that is accurate or not :confused: I will probably get something I cannot live without, and just love , have to have, or think I can make some great cards with in my style, but not alot I hope! My fear is that nicer things will come out in the new catty, lol. eeeek!!
If it is the same as last year, the retired list will show up in the June Stampin Success (which we will see May 15th). So, our first glimpse of the retired sets will be on May 1st when the list is posted on the SU website. Last year, someone seemed to have hacked into SU early because the retired list was posted at least a week earlier than announced. People were doubting it's accuracy, but it was an exact match to the list when SU announced on May 1st. I'm sure SU will have fixed that problem this year.

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

We had a similar good deal by our demo--10% off our purchase of retired stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattiLynn
If it is the same as last year, the retired list will show up in the June Stampin Success (which we will see May 15th). So, our first glimpse of the retired sets will be on May 1st when the list is posted on the SU website. Last year, someone seemed to have hacked into SU early because the retired list was posted at least a week earlier than announced. People were doubting it's accuracy, but it was an exact match to the list when SU announced on May 1st. I'm sure SU will have fixed that problem this year.
I'm not a demo, but aren't the retired stamps offered for the months of May and June? So wouldn't you get that info earlier then May?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 03:24 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

How many stamp sets does SU usually retire? I know it's a lot, but I can't remember just how many....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuarinoMom
I am planning on waiting for the list to come out to see if there is anything I can't live without.
That's what I'm going to do too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I was looking through to see what I may not be able to live without. I think this will be a huge dump this year! So many sets are former SAB or Hostess sets and I think they are going to drop all of those! Also "children of the corn" and similarly offensive sets will go. I will be surprised if there are many left to non-retire! Luckily, I think I have what I'll want to keep. I find that I don't really like the retired ones as much after they retire anyway (except Botanicals and Paisley... they were nuts to drop them). And, I'm not a demo so I can keep whatever I want. Wierd.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #23  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Yep, I am afraid I "stalk" those sets they are actually more likely to retire (or run and hide) So I "stock" them instead. hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cool What?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelineeBeenie
C

I don't remember hearing about that promotion! I so would have taken advantage. I hope they have that promotion again as well.

P.S. even as a demo I only order stuff I want to use in personal crafts and make it work for my w/s. I am such an organizer I put all the stamps on my wish list on an excel spread sheet and included page #'s and prices so I can sort by name or price etc so when I earn X amount of instant income from a show I can get a stamp from my list. [btw i totalled the list once out of curiosity ... it totaled over $2K]This way once I purchase a set I move it to another tab in the spreadsheet so I can keep better track of my inventory. That's what happens when an anal type A personality develops a hobby LOL! Anyway once the retiring list comes out I check it to see if anything from my wishlist is on it then try to decide if something better will come out next catty. I've been burned a couple of times but been pleasently surprised others. It's a crap shoot I guess. My biggest pet peeve is when things just disappear without warning (i.e. polyshrink, 1/2 the spectrum pads etc!!!)

Last edited by riemomof2; 04-01-2006 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #25  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep a "running" wish list - it changes periodically because I'll rethink sets that have been on my list and something in the mini might "replace" it... so when the retired list comes out I check to see if any of the stamps are on my wish list. If they are, I don't automatically buy them - like AnneMarie, I try to decide just how much I might want the set. Usually, I can do without. If it's been on my list for six months and I haven't bought it yet, maybe I don't really want it that bad.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

True True Need is such an interesting word eh? But I'd never admit to two things...
1.That I have enough stamps
2.That I don't NEED any given stamp set.

Those darn mini's eh? Keep re-prioritizing the list LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes