Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
it's a catch 22. you have to be famous to be on a DT, but yet, to get famous you have to be on a DT. :rolleyes:
And sometimes (not always) when they get "too famous" they stop hanging out at SCS. :( I can think of at least five "famous" stampers (off the top of my head) who no longer post on SCS. It's kind of a bummer.

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post

well, I've been on two DT's and had a couple guest spots and there is no way I'd consider myself "famous" So, the statement is not entirely true in my book.
i tend to exaggerate things and make them black and white...it's my personality.. but i'm talking about the big companies out there and i'm saying there's a group of famous people who seem to be in all of the big DT's.. that's all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

See, I'm opposite. I don't like the Stampin' Up stamps. In fact, I have very few. I much prefer the looks of my other cutesy stamps. I like Stampin' Up's cardstock and embellishments and whatnot...but their stamps just don't really do much for me.

And you don't AT ALL have to be "famous" to be on a design team...or even several design teams. The ones that I'm on, I had to LOVE the product or the stamp line before I even considered applying or accepting a position. I looooove the stamps from All That Scraps. Even before I was on the DT, I sounded like a walking advert for them. :oops: LOL!

I do agree that there are loads of new stamp companies (and some old ones that I haven't discovered yet) out there. And it can be overwhelming. But, I'm a thinker. I have to think over a purchase before I make it...does it fit my style...would I EVER use it...is it versatile enough to last...things to consider when I'm spending my (self-imposed) limited budget.

If I even have one single doubt, I don't buy it. Like clear stamps...there are some really cute clear stamps out there but I've found that I don't really LIKE using clear stamps very much so I'm gonna have to be in loove, looooooove, looooooooooove with a stamp if it is clear in order for me to buy it. (And yes, I have made some clear stamp purchases kinda recently..hehe!)

Just have to find what you like and buy that. If Stampin' Up is your thing (like my mom who loves the look of Stampin' Up stamps) then buy those...if there are others out there that you love, buy them instead. But make sure whatever you buy, you love it. Otherwise you may as well just save the money up until you do find something you love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
so I pose the question- (Not AT you Krystie, just since you mentioned this aspect)
What would you- (or anyone else who feels like chiming in!) consider "advertising" because like Tobi said- I think we ALL post our stuff and share a link of where we get it. If we didn't, it's just like when uploading here and the fields are all left blank- nobody likes that- they want the info- so how much is too much??
Just curious:-D
To me, too much is when the blogger exhorts you to buy the product. The "what are you waiting for, get over there and buy!" thing. That actually irritates me no end - and can even put me off! I like it when the blogger's genuine love of the product shines through and they usually make fab projects because of that - and so that in itself IS the 'selling' part.

Tobi (jazzytobi) recently had great cards on her blog with new Elzybells stamps. At no time did she say "go buy them". It was her genuine enthusiasm for the product that came through when she talked about them and the fab cards she made that 'sold' these stamps to me.

To me, that is enough - I don't want to be metaphorically beaten about the head and be told to 'go buy' - that is too much!

I do like to know the product details, manufacturers etc. Links to where they can be purchased are fine with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We do have an abundance of beautiful things from which to choose, don't we? The internet really is visual noise in many ways and it is up to us to just walk away when it gets to be too much. Too many choices can be paralyzing!

The key for me is that I no longer care if what I buy is the "latest" newest thing. It will be there. I can wait. The idea that having the newest item before anyone else just because it is new is just high school thinking!

Some of my favorite bloggers are on design teams or work for stamp companies. With a few exceptions, they put out beautiful stuff without excessive salesmanship. I return to their blogs for the great layouts and creative use of stamps and color.

However, I remind myself that they selected that item because they are paid to do so. I am sure that most love what they are using but I know for a fact that some do not love every item that they must use. So what? As long as I know about the stamper's affiliation with a company, I'm comfortable with it. I'm just there to see the creativity and beauty.

I do miss some stampers who used to frequent SCS. But, they've removed themselves from the visual noise and are stamping!! Good for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
We do have an abundance of beautiful things from which to choose, don't we? The internet really is visual noise in many ways and it is up to us to just walk away when it gets to be too much. Too many choices can be paralyzing!
Joan, this is so true about the Internet being visual noise. If we bombard ourselves with so many images, eye candy, and other people's ideas, we don't give ourselves a chance to develop our own creativity and ideas. Sometimes we need to take a break from all of the input and just focus on the process of creating.

There are a handful of blogs I visit on a regular basis, and only one or two are stamping related. The other three or four are by crafters or artists who do other kinds of artwork. Those bloggers focus on their process, what inspires them, and their philosophies about living a creative life. It's refreshing and inspiring to take a mental and visual break from the papercrafting world; it gives me a fresh outlook and a bit of perspective, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

so I pose the question- (Not AT you Krystie, just since you mentioned this aspect)
What would you- (or anyone else who feels like chiming in!) consider "advertising" because like Tobi said- I think we ALL post our stuff and share a link of where we get it. If we didn't, it's just like when uploading here and the fields are all left blank- nobody likes that- they want the info- so how much is too much??
Just curious:-D

I've been thinking about this same thing for awhile now and it relates to why I started blogging in the first place. There is a tremendous amount of product out there and after 5 years of "collecting" supplies, I really like to think about my purchases now and how much I will actually use something or what I will use it for. So, one of the first things I like to do when I'm thinking about buying something is to google it and look for blogs with projects using it.

I appreciate it when someone lists what they used on a project(even better if the stamp, tool, etc is the main subject of the post) so I mainly blog now to hopefully inspire someone and if people view my gushing about a new product as enabling, I guess in a sense it is. I'm not on a DT and have no desire to do that but I always joke about how some of these manufacturers owe me big time for the promoting of their products

I don't link to companies or websites where I purchase though. I hope this isn't the type of "advertising" that turns people off since I do it to help others either use the products they have or make more informed purchases. I know everyone is talking about the big designers/DT members blogs but just wondering if this applies to all stamp/scrap blogs??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I feel your pain. I also have a very limited crafting budged right now. I still love to look at examples of other people's work but I have changed my perspective. Instead of looking to see what stamp set I need to buy to replicate their creation I look for color combinations, layout ideas, embellishment ideas or how I can get the same "look" or "feel" using my stash. It is forcing me to be more creative. I have joined the "Stamping to Spend" group and am trying to keep my spending down and increasing my production. When I do purchase something I try to choose items that will be versitile and that I know I have an immediate use for. I was bad about buying stuff that I liked even though I did not have a project in mind for it. Then, when we moved & I had to clean out my stash I realized that I have a lot of pretty paper & cool stamps that I probably will never use. My style has changed since I bought some of it. I have also come to realize that there is an endless supply of new designs out there so if I pass up a cute paper or stamp today there will probably be something else that's "cool" or "pretty" when I need to do that kind of layout. I have realized that's it's ok not to have the "latest and greatest", it's more important to like & use what I have.

This is my perspective. Hope it gives someone else some food for thought.
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by FubsyRuthView Post

Tobi (jazzytobi) recently had great cards on her blog with new Elzybells stamps. At no time did she say "go buy them". It was her genuine enthusiasm for the product that came through when she talked about them and the fab cards she made that 'sold' these stamps to me.

To me, that is enough - I don't want to be metaphorically beaten about the head and be told to 'go buy' - that is too much!

I do like to know the product details, manufacturers etc. Links to where they can be purchased are fine with me.
this means a lot to me. thank you.
i try to be conscientious of whether I'm acting like a "used car salesman" or I am simply conveying my genuine enthusiasm for the products I represent.

Thanx again.... :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #50  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapcat71View Post
I've been thinking about this same thing for awhile now and it relates to why I started blogging in the first place. There is a tremendous amount of product out there and after 5 years of "collecting" supplies, I really like to think about my purchases now and how much I will actually use something or what I will use it for. So, one of the first things I like to do when I'm thinking about buying something is to google it and look for blogs with projects using it.

I appreciate it when someone lists what they used on a project(even better if the stamp, tool, etc is the main subject of the post) so I mainly blog now to hopefully inspire someone and if people view my gushing about a new product as enabling, I guess in a sense it is. I'm not on a DT and have no desire to do that but I always joke about how some of these manufacturers owe me big time for the promoting of their products

I don't link to companies or websites where I purchase though. I hope this isn't the type of "advertising" that turns people off since I do it to help others either use the products they have or make more informed purchases. I know everyone is talking about the big designers/DT members blogs but just wondering if this applies to all stamp/scrap blogs??
I always try to post links- not to be pushy- mostly because I use so many different images/products-If people don't know which image is used, or can't find it, then they end up asking-

I never want to sound like a commercial-but will always provide links to product used to avoid confusion for anyone who may check in-

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #51  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I always try to post links- not to be pushy- mostly because I use so many different images/products-If people don't know which image is used, or can't find it, then they end up asking-

I never want to sound like a commercial-but will always provide links to product used to avoid confusion for anyone who may check in-
Same here AJ. It's much easier for me to link when I can than to answer a bunch of individual emails. For this same reason I try and list everything that I can when I upload to the SCS gallery.

I'm very lucky that I get to work with companies that I love their products. 95% of the time I get to choose what I work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #52  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
That's why I've started to limit myself to SU! (and just because I went with them first and I like their stuff). When I used to get stuff from different companies and places I had a lot of stuff that I just didn't use and I spent way too much. I still spend too much (haha) but I figure with just one company I'm limiting myself a little anyway. I also like that the colors are coordinated. When I used to get some paper here and some there I felt I wasted a lot and didn't put it together well. This way I know what goes with what and I only have x amount of choices compared to a billion. There are some really cute things in other companies and if I had all the time and moeny in the world I'd shop till my lil heart was content...and probably have a nervous breakdown from the mess in my craft room, haha. So I totally get what you are saying!
Yip, that's me. I haven't a creative bone in my body so I love the fact that SU takes that problem away from me. I too am overwhelmed by "stuff" (I mean new products) that comes in every day so I rarely look at other web sites. I no longer look at some blogs I used to follow because she's changed more than I have. There are always other blogs to take the place of the ones don't follow ay more.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, I know just where your coming from. I'm on a very limited budget too, and for years I bought just SU, but a few months ago I've started buying from other companies too. There is just too much great stuff out there, and it is overwhelming! Have you tried WishRaks? You can wish for images of stamps that you want, and grant others wishes with the stamps you have. I LOVE it! I get to play with so many great images that I would have never been able to afford otherwise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

I read a lot of blogs, but there are definitely some that are my most favorite. When I see a card I love, I want to make one EXACTLY like it. For some reason, it is not enough to just be inspired by the color combo, or the layout...I want it to be EXACTLY the same.....so that is a big problem for me. I can't possibly have all the supplies and tools to make an exact replica everytime I see something I love....which kind of leaves me paralyzed in my cardmaking.

My sister, on the other hand, usually only visits blogs if I send her a link to something that I think she would be interested in. When she sits down to make a card, she probably enjoys the process much more than I do, because she doesn't have the pressure of trying to copy something she saw. She starts out with what she has, and goes from there. I don't think it is that she is more creative than me..I think it is just a different approach, and I wish I could do that, too. It would certainly take the pressure off of trying to buy the latest supplies, just to make ONE card!

As far as being overwhelmed by the abundance of stamping and papercrafting companies.....I guess I would rather see a bunch of new stamp stores spring up, than see a business shut the doors. ...There has probably always been "too many choices" out there in all categories of shopping...as consumers we just have to somehow makes our "needs" and "wants" somehow jive with our budget, as well as reflect choices that are environmentally responsible.

The way I feel about blogs.....no one is forcing me to read a blog, so if I don't like the advertising or promotion of products, I don't have to read it.

My goal is to try and figure out exactly what my style is. I love a lot of different styles, but surely there is a common element to the cards I love? If I can't figure out what that is, then I will be forever tied to CASEing cards which surely limits the amount of cards I can get done, and leaves me in a never ending frantic chase for "just one more supplies order, and THEN I will be able to make cards" Can anyone identify with that??!!!

This is an interesting thread. I hope my two-cents worth does not offend anyone.

-Ann
www.merryembroidery.com
www.dishtoweldame.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I'm on ONE design team and have a couple guest spots coming up - BUT, when i am posting my card using the stamps from that company, i will say Elzybells Release (or something) in the title, talk about the card, post the card and a link (or sometimes direct my readers to my side bar) and that's it.. and you know what? I do the same with companies I DON'T design for because readers usually like to know WHERE TO GET THE STAMPS that I have used, so i link it..

i apply for DT positions that I truely love, and I think that the owners can see that, but on the other hand, it seems like some owners only want to hire celebrities because of their blog traffic (which is legitimate) but still... it's a catch 22. you have to be famous to be on a DT, but yet, to get famous you have to be on a DT. :rolleyes:
I always provide links and such for things I put on my blog. If it is a non SU stamp, I link the stamp company. Sometimes I will even link to the exact stamp. Same with anything I post about. WHY??? Because that is what I like to see on a blog. One thing that drives me nuts is seeing something I really like and having no way to find it. Or if it is a company with tons of stamps, how in the world will I find the one I am looking for?

Weather it is a product or tool, I want to know how to find it if I want to. I don't want to have to send an email or google it. I think of it as a courtesy not selling. It is an FYI. If I am excited about a product, I will let my readers know, and why. Don't you want them to share the information? I would like to know. Or should there be a link to a seperate part of the blog (another page) with the information? As it is, I put the recipes in my photo album with the project since I really don't want to read that part.

I thought that blogs were there to share information, be it product or technique

Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, I agree it is overwhelming.

I am a hobby demo for SU, so although I do buy mostly SU, I am not in anyway limited to them. I do not do any demos.

I also love PTI, although I have only purchased their stamps so far. I do really want the ink, and coordinating papers but I just can't justify it, since SU has so many great colors.

I have a collection of stamps from TAC too, although I'm trying to stop buying from them, just because yes I will say this... How many stamp set does a girl need? Well, I could even argue with myself over this one! I have way more than I should!

I do tend to buy stuff from Joanns and Michael's with a coupon.

My issue right now, is not using all of the stamps I have. I did unmount almost everything for space savings, but I have so many that I just don't get to them all. I am one of those nuts, who doesn't get rid of any sets. I feel if I liked them at one time, I'll probably like them again at another time.

Then there is the financial side of this very expensive hobby. Even though I am a bargain shopper, I still spend too much. A perfect example would be right now with Sellabration, I want all the free stuff! Not to mention I need to place my $300. minimum by the end of March. Last month it was PTI, in order to get the limited edition set I needed to order 12 sets, yes 12 because I hadn't placed an order all year. So the marketing strategies of these companies, work quite well...I fall for them all, well most!

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddictedView Post
I'm a long-time SU! customer, and have very recently started purchasing some PTI stuff. Problem is, I'm on an extremely limited budget (as I know many of us are these days!) and I'm feeling very overwhelmed with the sheer number of stamp companies popping up these days - not to mention other online stores that don't even sell their own brand of stamps! It just seems like there's SO MUCH STUFF! It's not even that I necessarily want to BUY all this stuff, just that it can be overwhelming to see it all.

Related to this, and PLEASE no one take any offense - is the fact that it seems like EVERYONE designs for like, half a dozen stamp companies. I know that the incentive of FREE! stamps must be very lucrative, but this is another thing that overwhelms me. Some of my long-time favorite designers no longer create anything that I'm in love with, because they all use stamps that aren't my style at all, and I end up wondering if it's even THEIR style, or if they're just doing it to get free stuff.

Not sure if this makes much sense, but it's something that's been weighing on my mind a LOT lately, and I just wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat.
Wow! That's exactly how I've been feeling. I've kinda been feeling left out and just the other day it hit me... do I really want to be involved with the design team demands? I think being a guest designer would be fun because it's usually just a couple of months. But, yes. I am overwhelmed.

That being said, I still love the SCS dirty dozen because it's not promoting a particular company. And I've started a small DT for the new CAS challenge on Mondays... again no huge demands or specific company required.

I've been struggling for days on whether to apply for the DT for The Anya Club (The Greeting Farm). Today's the last day and I'm so glad I found your thread. I love, love, love their Anya and Ian stamps. But the demands are high... and for 6 months? You've helped me make my decision. I won't be applying. I'll just use their stamps because I love them.

What a relief. I feel so much better. THANK YOU! Seriously.
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #58  
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, what a lot of stuff to take in!! It can be so overwhelming with all the companies and all the new stuff. I think as you go along in this hobby, you discover what style of stamps and products are really your style and that makes it easier to be choosy. The good news is that there is something out there for everyone!

I agree and disagree with the comment about having to be famous to be on design teams. Sometimes it is a choice of someone who works so well with the company's stamps and sometimes it's a choice to add a big name who has a large following. I don't consider myself a big name or famous in the least and yet I am lucky enough to design for Papertrey and High Hopes. I ended up on both teams as a result of my love for both companies. (And I have no idea how people have time to design for a half dozen teams even if they do love the stamps. I have two little kids and a hubby to take care of and I do the paperwork for our business, too. Seriously, how do they have time!? They must be much quicker at creating cards that I am.)

I know it can sometimes seem like it is the same group of designers on the same teams. But in reality there are hundreds of stamp companies out there and the are hundreds of design team members on those design teams.
Some people will do anything to get on a design team even if it means designing for a company that isn't their style. I personally can't do this (and left one team when the stamp style kind of changed). I have to be inspired by the stamps for my cards to turn out any good. I just get stampers block when I don't like the stamps. I certainly don't want to spend my valuable stamp time working with stamps that aren't my style.

I agree with AJ that styles change, too. My style seems to change from card to card. Sometimes vintagey, sometimes CAS, and other times somewhere in between. Depends upon my mood and how I'm inspired by the stamp set.

I honestly have never read a blog that I would consider "advertising." I know sometimes (or many times depending upon the monthly release) my posts mention how much I love a stamp set or a new product, but I say that in all honesty. Like I mentioned, I have a hard time working with products I don't love or that aren't my style. Perhaps the other designers honestly love the products and are overly enthusiastic. (I also have never told anyone to go buy a product, though, so maybe that is the main difference.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #59  
Kookie Creator

Yeah...overwhelmed indeed!

Don't know anything about stamping DT...but I can say I was on several Scrapbook DT and I wasn't "famous" per say and still arent...LOL! I do agree that your "style" must appeal to the powers that be, and yes some aspect of being famous doesn't hurt.

I'm really new to stamping. What I have learned from scrapping is to find my style BEFORE I waste a lot of money. Now I can look at and admire cute/pretty stamps etc and keep it moving because I know it isn't my style.

Last edited by Michelle My Belle; 02-28-2009 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: fix typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

What a great thread and a great read too.

Upon reading the comments I made a few mental notes that I wanted to comment on.

I remember the first day I branched away from SU! It seemed like a big scary world of stamps and product out there. I was a blog follower at the time and enjoyed seeing new product and certainly got caught up in having all the new things but that was no different than getting a new SU! Catalogue every year (even worst now that they change twice a year). I think if you buy what you like without getting caught up in the latest and greatest then you don't have to feel overwhelmed.

I too agree you don't have to be "famous" to be on a DT. You just have to have a style that appeals to people hiring you. My first DT spot was with Cornish Heritage Farms. I had never had a DT position before that and if I was "known", I was only known from posting frequently with the challenges here on SCS. Soon after I was picked up by Paper Pretties and worked with them until I became an exclusive member of CHF. Now granted there is a PTI twist in there too but that is another story.

The key for all of these opportunities was "appeal". And while I don't consider myself famous, I often get comments to that regard. They are certainly flattering but the truth of the matter is I am in this industry because I love it. I do what I do because I love it and also because I took a chance. Don't let rejections get you down and also don't be shy to apply to the DTs if it is something you really want to do. There truly is so much talent out there and with all the companies you are bound to find the right fit.

As far as "advertising" goes, I know I commented on the last thread about this, and I will say the same thing here as AJ mentioned in a post above. I am sure there is some inadvertent advertising that happens when you are on a DT but the truth is that 1) if you LOVE the product of course you want to share that with others (don�t we do that in real time when we are talking about new hair product, clothes or shoes with our friends and families? Have you ever recommended a store or product to anyone before?) 2) there are times when I get 10-20 e-mails asking me about where I got something and rather than answering them individually you can answer it collectively when you share that information in a post.

At the end of the day, I make cards, projects and scrapbook pages for fun. I use the product I use because I love it. I blog to share what I love with others. If blog visitors choose to visit me again I am honoured. If my style is not what they are looking for then that is fine too. I don't take offence to it.

Just my 2 cents.

My Blog
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #61  
Gallery Gazer

Don't get me wrong, I love knowing where I can find things if I love them and have to have them. There's nothing more frustrating than having to email a "big" name whom you know probably gets more emails than she can handle to find something like that out. It's just tough sometimes seeing the same stamp over and over and over again on certain days because there's a company event and then you wonder if the DT members are making things with the stamps because they WANT to (usually when someone's best work is produced) or just because it's a DT requirement. KWIM?

As far as personal style goes, I still don't have one and I've been stamping for a long time. Maybe because I don't stamp often enough?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #62  
Gabfest Goddess

I hope I didn't come across as rude with my comment about some people doing anything to be on a team. I didn't really mean they would do anything, just that some people are dying to be on a design team. And in that sense, they might apply for teams that aren't their style just for the sake of being on a team. (Sorry if I offended anyone or came across as being mean as that wasn't my intention.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #63  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
I hope I didn't come across as rude with my comment about some people doing anything to be on a team. I didn't really mean they would do anything, just that some people are dying to be on a design team. And in that sense, they might apply for teams that aren't their style just for the sake of being on a team. (Sorry if I offended anyone or came across as being mean as that wasn't my intention.)
didn't read it that way at all Niki- :-D

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

I didn't read it that way, either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #65  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
I hope I didn't come across as rude with my comment about some people doing anything to be on a team...
nah, I didn't take it as rude.

There are many that have a desire to be on a design team and it can be frustrating, at times, to apply, and see the "greats" receive the positions. But, they are good at what they do and I don't begrudge them the position at all. Earlier in the thread, "famous" stampers were referred to as being on all the top DT teams (which are?). But it's not just for their name but for their talent too.

For me, I've applied to a few places, got some, didn't get others. I don't always have the stamps from those companies. I'm not applying to get the accolades, however. I truly like the stamps from the companies I apply to. I just don't have all the $$ in the world to spend ... one can only dream! I think this gets back to the OP. There are so many stamps and stamp companies and we only have so much $$ to spend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #66  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks, ladies! :grin: You never know how you might come across on the internet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

I find the amount of products out there to be overwhelming I have an "all or nothing" personality and have to be careful when it comes to budget I will overextend myself because I "want" it all. I definitely feel overwhelmed when it comes to SU - although I don't care for the stamps (sorry I know there are so many lovers of SU out there) as much I do love the papers and inks but I have bought all the Close to my Heart inks over the years so I don't know where to begin with the SU stuff because if you have the ink you want the paper which needs the brads and ribbon....lol....and so on! So I've stayed away from SU completely because there is just so much. I do try to stick with the stamp companies I love and work on my inventories of those but they just keep coming out with more and more and I haven't gotten everythig from the other catalogs! I don't so much mind the advertising on blogs as I do like to know where the products come from especially if I see something that really catches my eye that I am not familiar with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh if only we all had unlimited budgets! It is easy to get overwhelmed with all of the choices. There are so many really cute stamps available. I"ve cut back this year and probably 95% of my purchases are SU! and PTI! I belong to a SU! stamp club that I attend monthly so I buy a little there and I almost always buy monthly from PTI. With my limited $$ and time, there's just not time or money to buy and create with every new stamp, not even the ones that catch my eye. One thing you can do is join the WishRAK forum. There you can earn "wishes" by granting someone else's wishes. If there's a stamped image you want to try but don't know how much you'll like it or think you'll only use it once of twice, WishRAK is a great way to test the waters of other stamp companies. Occasionally I do break down and order from other companies but I take my time and make sure I really, really want it.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

My friend (who's on 2 design teams and has a nice blog) and I just had this conversation on the phone the other day... It is overwhelming to see new stamping companies pop up every day and all kinds of new product 'shoved' in one's face through blogs... I told her that when I get too tired of all the hype, I take a break from browsing... It gives me more time to create and prevents me from overspending...

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #70  
Kookie Creator

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatomomView Post
I find the amount of products out there to be overwhelming I have an "all or nothing" personality and have to be careful when it comes to budget I will overextend myself because I "want" it all. I definitely feel overwhelmed when it comes to SU - although I don't care for the stamps (sorry I know there are so many lovers of SU out there) as much I do love the papers and inks but I have bought all the Close to my Heart inks over the years so I don't know where to begin with the SU stuff because if you have the ink you want the paper which needs the brads and ribbon....lol....and so on! So I've stayed away from SU completely because there is just so much. I do try to stick with the stamp companies I love and work on my inventories of those but they just keep coming out with more and more and I haven't gotten everythig from the other catalogs! I don't so much mind the advertising on blogs as I do like to know where the products come from especially if I see something that really catches my eye that I am not familiar with.
I can totally relate to being an "all" or "nothing" type personality. It is OCD and we are type A personalities. I have to really watch myself when it comes to spending because I will go overboard in a heartbeat. I am disabled and housebound so I do almost all of my shopping online. Shopping online is waaaaaay to easy, I have heard of many, many people getting into big trouble because of it.

I visit blogs, but have had to cut back, just because I was to tempted to buy the items listed. I only visit the Gallery if the card is listed in the person's post.

I to feel bombarded with all of the new releases and announcements of new releases and pre-release blogging and chatting. I was a Scrapbooker before I took up stamping so I have some supplies that carry over, but many of them don't. I over bought big time. Now I am going through my craft room and trying to sell things on Ebay. Just to show you how bad I was...I have unopened boxes, I have no clue what is in them, but I ordered the stuff. I am NOT doing that with stamping. I want a limited supply of everything and to use it up before I order more.

I believe that a clear space equals a clear mind which equals more creativity.

Sorry to have gone "off topic" a little here, I just started to ramble and it kept going. Just like I said "all" or "nothing". lol

Everyone have a happy stamping day!

Trish in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

i have to admit that i am both OCD and a type A personality. my problem is that i generally will use all of whatever i am using at the moment up...so you will mostly see 5-10 projects using the same stuff over and over.

i am using mostly SU, unity stamps and papertrey inks and paper right now. i purposely try to avoid looking at other companies because then i just want it all and totally get in trouble.

Trying to use up my stuff that i already have in my stash is a big motivator in getting things done...so i am always looking for new products that i can use with older things....plus with the economy i am REALLY looking for a lot of bang for my buck.

ps. not design teams right now for me. been there done that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

I so understand that it can be overwhelming but I limit myself to stamps that I love and will really use. I try to substitute my stamps for what is presented on a blog. I like the design ideas presented and coloring techniques. I enjoy looking at blogs. Sometimes I buy only one stamp from a company and I don't feel bad. Sometimes I skip it if shipping is too costly. I agree that there are quite a few popular stamp companies. I skip many since I don't like their style of images. I have quite a few virgin stamps that I need to use so I'm really picky what I buy. I spend too much time on SCS but it's great talking to other stampers who understand me, thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #73  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I feel the same way...don't want to sound like a commercial but want people to be able to check out where I bought stuff if they are interested. So I have a few links on my sidebar but don't link in the post.
Reply With Quote Likes