Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 AM   #161  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #162  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking at SU catalogs for about 8 years. I guess it's inevitable that some of the stamp sets start looking like repeats. I do see some sets I like and some brads etc. I will definitely be spending some money :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #163  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlw411View Post
I am also disappointed. I only found two sets I like. To me it seems like the "In colors" are very similiar to the Bold Brights line up ... my least favorite. :(
I almost never reach for the Bold Brights, either, but when I saw the new In Colors for this year I figured that this would finally get me to pull them out! I'm absolutely in LOOOOVE with Pacific Point and can't wait till my preorder color pack gets here in a few days! :mrgreen:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #164  
Forum Fanatic

I love the look of the new catty and the samples (although I only do cards so the non-card ideas don't help me much)...there were quite a few sets that I liked but nothing that I absolutely HAD to have for the price. But I think that's partly because I have a lot already! LOL So it's hard for me to justify buying something if it's similar to what I have, especially if I got the first set for $10 because it is unmounted. I loved a lot of the paper, I'm in trouble there! I like the accessories (brads, etc) too but they are too expensive for my taste.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #165  
Rubber Obsessor

I got my catty last week and saw a few things I probably can't live without. The last catalog got me in way too much trouble so this is a good thing. I bought a Big Shot a couple months ago and was very excited about the new SU dies. However, now that I've had a peek at them, they're going to be way too expensive. Maybe the minis will have some fun things, but if not I can always use some more Bellas. You can never have too many Bellas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #166  
Matboard Maniac

I think your impression of the catalog might depend on how long you have been aware of/purchasing SU! products. I like this catalog a lot better than the last one and have a few items on my list. I was hoping for more stamps that would be "must haves" but a lot of the new ones ones that I liked are similar to sets that I have that were retired two or three years ago. Since I am not a demo, I don't have to get rid of a set that I like just because I can't demo it any longer. I do like some of the new punches and the in colors look nice as well. I can't say that I'm thrilled with the catalog, but overall I do like it. I especially appreciate the "how to's" in between the sections.

Kristina

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #167  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I LOVE this cattie - this is my favorite to date - the scallops, floral sets, in colors, dsps...my bank balance will vouch for that :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #168  
Watercolor Wizard

There aren't many sets that I want, but that's because I have a lot of stamps already that are similar (SU or otherwise). But the new papers, ribbons, and punches have me drooling!

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #169  
Die Cut Diva

This is probably one of my favorite catalogs in recent years...I love it! the last two were not exciting for me..but this one is
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #170  
Mad Swapper

Oh I am so jealous of all of you that have seen it in order to form an opinion! I want a copy! Maybe tonight when I go to my stamp club! There are two demos in the club and one promised to trade TAC for SU!.
Can't wait!
Inky Hugs
Risa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #171  
Rubber Obsessor

I am quite pleased to see some of the comments on here, as they echo my feelings about the new catalogue. After finally getting it to download (a week or more wait for the real thing) I was just a bit disappointed. I did find various stamp sets that I really like but did also find a lot of the other stuff a bit 'same-ish'. I have been stamping for quite a few years now but only got into SU in the last year (because I live in France). I was glued to the first catalogue and have bought quite a lot of stamps from it (I only buy stamps but am thinking about getting the card now too) but definitely felt a bit cooler about the new images. However, I imagine these things have peaks and troughs and by the next time, I will be more excited about it. I certainly didn't think there was enough that was new and fresh about it though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #172  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not seen a catty I can hang on to. My demo has been out of town. I did download it and looked at it. The catty always is done very well but there were not many stamps that reached out and "touched me". I guess I will save some money from stamps (no not really I will just spend it elsewhere) I do like some of the paper. I also liked how they included the colors in the descriptions. Now we can tell what cardstock to match.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:39 AM   #173  
Matboard Maniac

My only real disappointment was with the birthday stamps. I anxiously await for each catalog hoping there will be one I like. Alas, no luck again this time. The closest I came to going, "Hey, that's not bad!" is Crazy for Cupcakes. And, other than the hose thing (apparently one of those noise-maker things that you blow out. really?) I kind of like it.

Otherwise, I am thrilled with the catalog! I'm getting all the new punches right away! They look so fun! Yippeee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #174  
Matboard Maniac

Default I'm in the middle I guess

I like some stuff in the new catalog and the more I see the in colors used the more I like them. Some of the Designer series papers are a MUST for me, but then, I'm a paper hog - love to get them and look at them but I'm afraid to use them for fear I will run out! ;-)

The holiday mini also has a couple cute things and even MORE paper I must have. lol

Oh well, happy wish list making everyone!

-Never get so busy making a living, that you forget to make a life-

Last edited by shanbz; 08-16-2008 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 AM   #175  
Insane Embellisher

I haven't seen an SU catalog in about 5 years and I wasn't that inpressed either. The prices are very high, and I can't believe they still haven't switched to acrylic! I do like their colors though, and am replacing just about all of my stamp pads from over 10 years ago! I want to get that color caddy. How do you all like it? Is it sturdy enough?!!

I do LOVE the new in colors, but why aren't there any markers to match????!:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #176  
Crimping Master

I have seen the catty now. I thought it was nicely done. After looking through it I found 1 stamp set that I loved. I won't be buying it because I have no need for a tall grass stamp which is the other half of the set. I can't justify spending $23.95 to get one stamp I like. I thought that the McDonald's set was very cute this year, but I already have a lot of sentiment stamps so I don't need that stamp set. I do like several of the punches which I will get. The new paper is pretty but I hate that they use so many in colors in the designer paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:43 AM   #177  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
I haven't seen an SU catalog in about 5 years and I wasn't that inpressed either. The prices are very high, and I can't believe they still haven't switched to acrylic! I do like their colors though, and am replacing just about all of my stamp pads from over 10 years ago! I want to get that color caddy. How do you all like it? Is it sturdy enough?!!

I do LOVE the new in colors, but why aren't there any markers to match????!:(
I love my color caddy! When you first put it together, it seems not that sturdy becaues of the way it is designed, but once you get all the pads in, it feels very sturdy. Only one thing: it doesn't spin freely but takes a bit of effort to turn. They told us that was because they were worried about the ink pads flying out if some one spun it too hard. So I put it on a lazy susan that I had laying around and now I can spin it as hard as I want...and I haven't gotten to, er, "escape velocity" yet!;)

And we all would love In Color markers...and spots too!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #178  
Cardstock Collector

I spent about $4000 on stamps last year and less than $50 of that was SU. This year I can only find 2 sets I like, Sock Monkey and Heard from the Heart. I used to buy paper but switched to Papertrey cardstock due to increased quality for less price. Honestly, if they were clear I could justify a few more sets, but for the price SU stamps are way over the top for me. I am used to getting 20 stamps for $15 with clear and with SU you get 2-3 stamps for $15.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #179  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

After reading this thread from the beginning, I fully expected to hate this catty. Well, I just got it this afternoon and I must say that I see a lot to keep me interested. I don't think my demo has to worry about not hearing from me. There's a lot in it I like, especially the designer papers and ribbon. I have previously had a bad attitude about wide ribbon, but seeing some of the samples has sold me. I also expected to hate the in colors, but I really, really like 3 of them, kind of like the red, and still hate the kiwi and tangerine. Overall not a bad catalog.

I must say that I am somewhat disappointed with the fact that there are so few stamps sets that I can color. It seems many of the new flower sets are solid image stamps, and I prefer line art (but NOT doodles!) But there are also a lot of sets in there from last year that are still on my wish list, I was just hoping to like more of the new ones because I'm too lazy to cut my stamps. And why does my favorite set in the whole catty have to be a level 2 hostess which I won't be able to earn unless I only place one order in the entire year (which just isn't going to happen!)

But overall, I thinks it's pretty good, and I actually like a lot of the Christmas sets.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #180  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElladuetView Post
I spent about $4000 on stamps last year and less than $50 of that was SU. This year I can only find 2 sets I like, Sock Monkey and Heard from the Heart. I used to buy paper but switched to Papertrey cardstock due to increased quality for less price. Honestly, if they were clear I could justify a few more sets, but for the price SU stamps are way over the top for me. I am used to getting 20 stamps for $15 with clear and with SU you get 2-3 stamps for $15.
Really? I was just on your blog the other day and it seemed like you used a LOT of SU recently :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #181  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A very kind soul lent me her catty and i spent 10 minutes browsing. one thing for sure is that the designs themselves -- so many altered items in clever ways is a huge leap! I can't wait to get my own copy so that i can really study it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #182  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm excited about the new ribbons, hardware and punches. I also like the new silhouette style stamp sets. Some peeps mentioned earlier that some of the sets look alot like past retired images. I'm too new to stamping to notice that; so to me the new catty looks like it has alot of fresh stuff in it. I purchase from other companies as well - it's so great to have choices!!!
I was in Macy's today in the bedding department and noticed alot of silhouette and flourish images on sheetsets. I think SU is looking at market trends. The new in-colors seem to be all over Target too - has anyone else noticed this?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #183  
Kookie Creator

The new catalog has plenty of stamp sets to use up my budget for the next six months!! They have more sets that fit my style than in the past. Having two catalogs a year, there will only be half the number of new sets on average in a new catalog than in the past.

I think that they are trying to have more of a mixture of styles of stamps. I don't particularly care for "cute" stamps myself. But many others do and make nice cards from them. They just don't grab my interest. I love the silhouette stamps because I can use so many techniques with them that can't be done with outline type stamps.

What makes SU unique is they have such a broad product line that if you don't find enough stamp sets to your liking, there is always ink, cardstock, embelishments, punches, etc., etc.

That's what I have been buying from the last catalog.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #184  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just ordered my first every SU stamp set. I've been looking at this one set - the only set in all of SU catalogues that I liked - and it will probably be my last. I'm not knocking SU, but I think they're way over priced. I didn't see much of anything in the catalogue that I wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #185  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

WOW, is all I can say after seeing the catty and looking thru it about 100 times. I love the In Colors and the new DSP. Saw the sneak peek of the mini and I am in major money trouble now. And as far as a good value.... I still think SU! wins hands down. Give me my wood mounted sets any day of the week and to have them die cut??!!?? What a bonus, it's like they read my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #186  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb&kkView Post
WOW, is all I can say after seeing the catty and looking thru it about 100 times. I love the In Colors and the new DSP. Saw the sneak peek of the mini and I am in major money trouble now. And as far as a good value.... I still think SU! wins hands down. Give me my wood mounted sets any day of the week and to have them die cut??!!?? What a bonus, it's like they read my mind.
Totally agree with ya! I really think SU stamps are an EXCELLENT value AND they're wood-mounted rubber (my favorite).

My wish list for the catty is just about $1000 so I'm going to have lots of goodies to play with -- can't wait!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #187  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElladuetView Post
That is interesting. 20 stamps for $15? What a deal! Other than background stamps, I don't know of any SU stamp sets that only have 2-3 stamps for $15.

SU can't please everyone. I personally think that this catalog is their best ever! Not just for the stamp sets (I don't like all of them) but for the ideas and inspiration. I know that that SU gets compared with PTI a LOT on SCS. They are very different yet successful companies. I'm not impressed with everything that SU comes out with, just like I'm not impressed with everything PTI or an other company comes out with. It all depends on personal preference! I think SU is right on top of the current trends in paper crafting and scrapbooking, and I'm really excited about this new catalog (and especially about their new Sizzix products)!

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #188  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

OK been reading this thread and couldnt comment until I actually GOT my Cattie... SO...

Here is what I'm thinking some people thought that SU Was behind in the times, however did you see all the sets that can work with the nesties, so that people that AREN"T demos can still use the nesties and such, I'm thinking that it is a PERFECT cattie... I was VERY impressed as I was with the sneak of the mini coming... SO much so that I am signing up to be a Demo... HOBBY version but... I am loving SU stuff!!!! I REALLY love that Holiday Lineup set... LMAO! TOO CUTE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #189  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
OK been reading this thread and couldnt comment until I actually GOT my Cattie... SO...

Here is what I'm thinking some people thought that SU Was behind in the times, however did you see all the sets that can work with the nesties, so that people that AREN"T demos can still use the nesties and such, I'm thinking that it is a PERFECT cattie... I was VERY impressed as I was with the sneak of the mini coming... SO much so that I am signing up to be a Demo... HOBBY version but... I am loving SU stuff!!!! I REALLY love that Holiday Lineup set... LMAO! TOO CUTE!

OK so in the midst of my FIT over my nesties a buddy showed me the link below and it is NOT how the directions were written down... SO,,, WARNING...WATCH THE VIDEO FIRST, I darn near had to buy a new CB and get institutionalized over nesties! :rolleyes:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51033495795553
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #190  
Kookie Creator

Default ..

I was really upset with SU and their printing co. for not getting their catalogs out quicker. Should have just held on!

Got my catalog yesterday and owee, so disappointed. All the hype for nothing for me. A couple of punches, some designer paper 1 or 2 packs, and that is all. There is 2 stamp sets I could get that has been in several catties and I keep looking at.

There is so much more out there, with the wow factor. KWIM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 AM   #191  
Kookie Creator

Forgot, They really do have some cute cards in the cattie tho.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #192  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopping DivaView Post
Don't get me wrong, there were a few stamp sets I liked in the SU! catalog, but I was disappointed there wasn't more. For instance, with the stamp set with the shoes - was that the best job they could do designing a shoe stamp? Sometimes it just looks like a 10 year old drew some of those images. Please remember (because I don't want to start a war) I am not trying to put SU! down, just a little disappointed.
You WOULD be impressed...VERY impressed... if all you got was the UK catalogue! Trust me.

Jane
Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #193  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Finally got my hands on a real-to-life catalog today. Overall, there were not a ton of sets that I "HAVE" to have, but there were more than a fair share of stamps that I would definitely offer a home to if they wandered in off the street.

The DSPs are really amazing this year, atlhough I normally don't buy them because I just can't justify the cost. I really like the Pacific Point in-color, although I try to avoid in-colors as I get too attached to a color and then have to go into therapy when the color retires. I'm still grieving the loss of Cool Caribbean.

I think the catalog looks great and I love all the samples this year.

Count me in the NOT- Disappointed group!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #194  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathyRoseView Post
I got my catty yesterday and spent the evening immersed in it. I think it has a very nice selection of stamps covering a lot of different tastes, and some great accessories. Sure, I had a few disappointments. I'm a little creeped out by that sock monkey, lol! I was sorry to see some things retire that I think went before their time, but I think there is something for every style in there. The only complaint I have is too much Halloween, not enough Thanksgiving. I like the themed stamps that other companies do, but it is easier to put out a catalog if the main characters are one or two. Trying to please a big customer base with varying tastes is much harder.
I haven't read through all the responses yet, but I wanted to let you know that there is a great new Thanksgiving set in the Holiday Mini.

Debby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #195  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
I hate the sock monkey! I have wanted to say that so bad,but I didn't want to hurt anyones feelings. I'm so glad I am not the only one who thought "what the heck?' when we saw that set.
i know he creeps me out, kinda like the phobia ppl have with clowns but mine is DSP covered sock monkeies chasing me down.... :twisted:

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #196  
Matboard Maniac

Last catty I had a hard time with, so I went with mostly consumables.
this catty I actaully ordrerd more in stamps than anything else. I sat down this weekend, between housework, groceries, taking care of grandson etc. (total maybe 4 hours stamping) I bought several sets and I think I inked almost all of them. I love this catty. Spent about $300.00 already, could spend another $2-$300.00 not including the mini. I soooooooooo need a part time job in additionn to my full time one. Also need 36 hour days!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #197  
Stazon Splitcoast

Haven't read the rest of this thread, just the first few posts, but I was this way with the last couple of catty's. I liked them, but not much in the way of sets jumped out at me. Some that I didn't like at first really jumped out and grabbed me as time went on, but not much.
That being said, this catty, I found sooo many things that I love! I was so pleased with this catty and want soo much stuff. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #198  
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to kaloso05

I had decided that when the new catty came along I was going to focus on expanding my stamps for use in masculine cards. Well that was a big disapointment because there is only one set that I want to get that fits the bill and it's a cutsie one... the under the stars set (*love* the can of skeeter spray!) There are no new classic or traditional sets that are good for a man. I do like a few of the flower and background sets, but I need another one of those like I need a hole in my head!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #199  
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to kaloso05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegum girlView Post
i know he creeps me out, kinda like the phobia ppl have with clowns but mine is DSP covered sock monkeies chasing me down.... :twisted:
ditto that! :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #200  
Pearl-ExPert

I was in love from the cover of the catty.....that scalloped edge got me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes