Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawz94View Post
I agree that SU shipping prices are high. I also don't like it that they add your order total and your shipping charges together and then charge sales on that amount. Give me a break! I always try to find anything that Stampin Up sells elsewhere first (like adhesive or some of their punches). I did break down and buy their choc chip ink pad because I couldn't find that dark of a brown anywhere else. I'll probably do the same with night of navy.
All direct-sales companies (that I've come into contact with) do this. I think it's the law governing direct-sales companies. You could try to get around this by shopping on Ebay or Amazon. Or at conventions!! At a convention last year I saw three tables packed four stamp sets deep of Stampin' Up! stamp sets for sale!!! And then I saw an entire table full of CTMH stamp sets for sale too!! I only paid tax, no shipping and handling!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharpstamperView Post
Pretty well every thread has someone nagging SU to go unmounted...It drives me nuts! Su will gain enough new demos by keeping the quality product they supply.
There is so much SU Bashing on this general side it's unreal.....there are tons of companies that have unmounted clear stamps...the gallery is an example lately of the different styles of stamps...to each his own. I really hope SU never goes that way.....they don't need to!
I agree that SU! doesn't need to go unmounted. They probably earn more money than any other stamping company by far. I think your hopes will come true - I don't see them ever going unmounted or clear.

I wasn't nagging or bashing; just pointing out that if they change over they will lose some but also gain some.

Now earlier in this thread I did note some exceptions (in my opinion) to their products of quality (which could be interpreted as bashing), but those are exceptions, not the rule. I do think that most of Stampin' Up! products are high quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to say, I'd prefer to pay less for shipping and I do think some of SU!'s items are overpriced, BUT:

I have a Michael's and a JoAnn's that are both right on my way home from work, so it's easy to pick up "commodity" items like adhesive and brads and that sort of thing - or to shop for the bigger items with a coupon. If I didn't have that luxury, I'd be right grateful that SU! carried those items (even at the higher prices) and that I could get everything from one vendor. Because I do have that luxury, I order the items I can only get thru SU!.

AND If I were a SU! demo, I'd be right cheesed off that almost every SU! discussion, no matter what it starts out to be about, ends up with a discussion of why they charge sales tax on shipping (hello, it's mandated by the state you live in) or why they don't switch to unmounted or clear stamps. Unmounted and/or clear isn't SU!'s thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #84  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

duplicate posting

Last edited by mcouden; 09-18-2009 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: duplicate posting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #85  
Kookie Creator

duplicate posting

Last edited by mcouden; 09-18-2009 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: duplicate posting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #86  
Kookie Creator

duplicate posting

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #87  
Kookie Creator

duplicate posting

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #88  
Kookie Creator

duplicate posting

Last edited by mcouden; 09-18-2009 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: duplicate posting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #89  
Kookie Creator

I just placed a SU order that was shipped yesterday. I took the weight of the packages (there were 2) and compared them to the Parcel Post rate for USPS. I paid SU $15.09 for shipping costs. The post office would have charged $14.16 and $15.96 so a total of $30.12. There wouldn't have been a tracking update and I have no idea how long it would have taken for me to get it. So while I've always thought the shipping costs were rather high, I'm not going to complain anymore.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #90  
Compulsive Stamper

Default my 2 cents

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoudenView Post
I just placed a SU order that was shipped yesterday. I took the weight of the packages (there were 2) and compared them to the Parcel Post rate for USPS. I paid SU $15.09 for shipping costs. The post office would have charged $14.16 and $15.96 so a total of $30.12. There wouldn't have been a tracking update and I have no idea how long it would have taken for me to get it. So while I've always thought the shipping costs were rather high, I'm not going to complain anymore.
Wow - That's food for thought!

I have about 100 sets - almost all were purchased 2nd hand. I probably have about 5 that I purchased from a demo. I find my sets at rummage sales (a demo around here has a rummage each year and sells all her retired sets since she can't demo them anyway), on craigslist, at my local stamp store's used stamp sale, and ebay. Sorry all you demo's out there, I have to pinch my pennies and this is one way I stay in budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
I cut my stamping teeth on SU too. In the past 5 or more years I've hardly ordered anything from them at all. Whenever you have a "middle man" you're ultimately paying more. I just don't think any of their stuff justifies the outragous prices and even more outrageuos shipping they charge. I think they would do better as a company if they switched to making clear stamps, and cut out the demos, and just sell through their website. It would cut prices drastically, and be easier for people to shop. I hate having to find a demo to order something, especially knowing I am paying extra to have them do what I can do for myself! It just doesn't make any sense. Times are changing, and so should SU. What worked 10 years ago is now considered old school. Who has time to go to a party or hunt down a demo?!
I understand your comments. On the other hand, I have a ton of customers that if I didn't walk them through each technique step or give ideas to motivate, they wouldn't make anything or try new things. As far as cutting out the demo? This is my job and it partially supports my family of 7. I am very thankful for my awesome job and the chance I have to share ideas/techniques and my time with many wonderful ladies, most of whom started as customers and have now become my friends
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickleView Post
I understand your comments. On the other hand, I have a ton of customers that if I didn't walk them through each technique step or give ideas to motivate, they wouldn't make anything or try new things. As far as cutting out the demo? This is my job and it partially supports my family of 7. I am very thankful for my awesome job and the chance I have to share ideas/techniques and my time with many wonderful ladies, most of whom started as customers and have now become my friends

over the years i think i have become pretty good at stamping/card making and have started scrapbooking lately and i love it too.

but what i value the MOST is the friendship i have formed with my demo! i wouldn't trade it for all the free shipping the online stores have to offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #93  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
over the years i think i have become pretty good at stamping/card making and have started scrapbooking lately and i love it too.

but what i value the MOST is the friendship i have formed with my demo! i wouldn't trade it for all the free shipping the online stores have to offer.
I couldn't agree with this more. Even though I am no longer a demo, so many of my customers are still my friends! They support my new direction - even coming to demos I have done at local stamp stores. If I hadn't become a SU demo I would have never met these people! In fact, alot of my very good friends are still SU demos and I will purchase what I need from them.

For me, it isn't so much an increase of prices as a decrease of money to use for crafting! Bottom line is I just have less to spend on everything:( But when I do have money, I am probably spending a part of it on SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

I am not a SU demo but my live in friend is or at least hanging on by a thread the UK European catalogue is very small in comparison to the US one and prices are high for some things . i say this as politely as possible if all the SU demonstrators in the US had to manage with a 96 page catalogue would you be happy. the choices are poor su to me are taking adavantage and thats my personal opinion, rumoura are the new catty is still tiny again only 96 pages i think all whats being going off with unhappy SU demos in the US how would you really cope and would you be happy with the UK prices and poor stamp choices some are not even suitable for specific cultures.
i think the American catalogue is better in comparison to the tiny catty in the UK even though Stampin Up still feel the catty choices are in their opinion the bees knees i know many are loyal to SU but i dont think they would be happy if they payed more for the goods had poor stamp choices to put up with one whole year. I think it is hard work for demonstrators over here to keep going and in this time of poor economy everyone is feeling the pinch. So sorry to hear about the strong IDA i know a sore subject just another strong hold of enforcing their rules and regulations, to me stampin up do offer some nice things but have years ago been more competative , i agree they are getting expensive but if they carry on upsetting people eventually the bubble will burst for them and like many stampers and proffesional people on here keep saying. if something of quality is out there a human being will purchase where they want ,when they want especially if the quality is the same and the prices are more realistic.
i know the SU demos on here who maybe doing well may not like any form of critisism to Stampin up but seriously human beings will always speak if something is displeasing or is good you cannot stop anyone telling what they feel the truth is i do think if they carry on high and mighty attitude once you reach the mountain peak you only have one place to go and thats down hill all the way.
Stamping is for people to create enjoy and have fun and dictatorship can become a nuisance and we humans dont like it especially in times like these carry on SU upping your prices and the mountain will eventually shrink.
in times like these money is hard to budget for some so if prices keep going up year by year competiton will expand also because where one door closes another opens.

Happy stamping everyone the best way to craft and share ones creativity .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #95  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post

Oh, I agree!! And all my friends at our monthly workshop too...it's just so darn fun! I'm loyal to SU but would branch out a little if my budget let me. That said, I love my SU and demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
AND If I were a SU! demo, I'd be right cheesed off that almost every SU! discussion, no matter what it starts out to be about, ends up with a discussion of why they charge sales tax on shipping (hello, it's mandated by the state you live in) or why they don't switch to unmounted or clear stamps. Unmounted and/or clear isn't SU!'s thing.
Really?? Funny, but I've bought Creative Memories from 2 different consultants and they didn't charge sales tax on shipping and neither does Tastefully Simple. So hello.... I believe I'm entitled to my opinion. Right now, I'm right cheesed off about the tone of your comments.

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #97  
Compulsive Stamper

Just thinking aloud here.....but I am wondering if SU is just transparent with their postage costs....so the cost of postage isn't included in their goods. Wouldn't online stores who have "free" postage, just be including the postage cost in the cost of their goods....it's just that it is not an "obvious" extra charge? Having said that, I haven't seen a comparison of the cost of an item in a shop where you don't have postage, as opposed to an online store with free postage.

I used to be a CMC.....they had no "extra" charge for postage, we were just expected to take that out of our commission, as well as all of the extras for hostesses, etc.
When I ordered, I would get free postage if my order was large enough....so smaller orders were subsidising the larger ones imo.

One of the things that attracted me to SU was that you could see your commission easily, all of the hostess rewards are not part of our cost structure, there is a standard postage charge for everyone upfront and transparent, and you can have orders shipped directly to the customer.

I am a hobby demo, was with CM too, and am in Australia.

cheers
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #98  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think that SU postage is high, compare it to other companies period, not just stamping companies and you will find that SU shipping is low. I only buy SU stuff so I don't know what other stamping companies charge for shipping. None of my customers complain about shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #99  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Pawz94 it is true tax on shipping is state mandated so SU has nothing to do with that if your other people didn't charge you it may just be them or eles they don't know and they loose that money because it isn't a choice and yes your opion counts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And some states have laws that charge tax on "shipping and handling" fees, but not on "shipping". It's weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #101  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Really?? Funny, but I've bought Creative Memories from 2 different consultants and they didn't charge sales tax on shipping and neither does Tastefully Simple. So hello.... I believe I'm entitled to my opinion. Right now, I'm right cheesed off about the tone of your comments.
It has to do with business licenses, etc., but surely you didn't think SU! keeps the money they charge for taxes? Other companies I have dealt with taxed shipping. That is not the individual companies' decision. It's not really a matter of opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #102  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hey yeah! I went back to look at my Creative Memories email receipt and plugged the numbers into a spreadsheet and they DIDN'T charge me tax on the shipping!!!!

Just at a convention earlier this month, I talked to a CM consultant and we ordered the cutting system online right then and there. I guess I just assumed that all direct-sales companies charged tax on shipping and handling! I did this in the same state in which I buy SU!, so the same state laws apply?? But we did this CM order online; it wasn't her filling out a form by hand or anything (can she still have made a mistake doing it ONLINE?? It looked like the CM website filled in the numbers of shipping and handling and tax for her - but I wasn't paying close attention).

At first I didn't want to buy this 'cause of the shipping ($8.50!!) but then she said if I did, she'd give me a packet of paper flowers and a packet of paper ribbon to "make up" for the shipping. So I bought it and got the flowers and ribbon. *grin*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellicatzView Post
Having said that, I haven't seen a comparison of the cost of an item in a shop where you don't have postage, as opposed to an online store with free postage.

Hi Carolyn!
Here's a cost comparison:

Inkadinkado stamp set:
$7.05 at Scrapbookingalley.com (free shipping, no tax, and 20% off all the time - my favourite online store)
http://www.scrapbookingalley.com/pro...ing%3Bcistamps

versus $9.99 at Michaels. My Michael's has tons of these kinds of Inkadinkado stamp sets for sale. However, if a 40%-off coupon is used, then it comes out to less than $7 after tax (in my state).

But on second thought, that is flat and would be relatively cheap to mail.
Here's another comparison:

Tim Holtz ink pad: $3.59 at Scrapbookingalley.com
http://www.scrapbookingalley.com/product/EP8849812.htm

versus $5???? at Michaels. Not sure of the Michaels' price though. Again though, Michael's has those coupons, so it would be cheaper with a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeView Post
I don't think that SU postage is high, compare it to other companies period, not just stamping companies and you will find that SU shipping is low. I only buy SU stuff so I don't know what other stamping companies charge for shipping. None of my customers complain about shipping.
I never complain about shipping to my demo either!!! But I sure do gripe about it lots to my one real-life stamper friend! But we still buy SU! all the same. ;) We know it is not her (our demo's) fault. The only complaining we've done to our demo was over the thinness of Whisper White cardstock, and then she offered to buy it from my friend (it couldn't be returned since my friend had already opened the plastic).

Edited to add:

I also buy toys and books from Amazon.com, and they also offer free shipping. Do they count? I know they are not exactly one "company" - more like... an online mall? I only buy the items that qualify for free shipping too. Anyway, they are not a stamp company (specifically) and they offer free shipping. That is the only online place I can think of, where I have bought non-stamping stuff.

Well, I also buy postage online, and that is $1, no matter the size of the order. Last time I ordered, I bought at least $42 worth of stamps 'cause I bought a hundred of the Liberty stamps back when they were still 42 cents instead of 44 cents. So, that is another non-rubber-stamping company that I buy from online.

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 09-19-2009 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #105  
Mad Swapper

I am absolutely feeling the pinch! Just last night we had a stamp club, and it was sooo hard for me to come up with anything to buy because I have a hard time spending so much on their products. It's really hard for me to pay $30-40 for a set that I can get elsewhere for $6-20 for more stamps in the set, or spending $8 + tax and shipping on an embossing folder I can get something similar for for about half that or less with a coupon. I have to really love something from SU to buy it now, and there's not much I love anymore. It's hard because there are so many other better and cheaper choices out there. I struggle spending what I committed to spend for club. I'm only in the club because I love all the ladies I stamp with, and it's a nice evening out. Unfortunately I won't be signing back up again when this one is up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #106  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeView Post
OK, so if you don't buy from other companies, how are you able to make the comment that shipping is high on other companies when clearly people on here have said they have bought similar products and paid less for shipping?
SU shipping charges are more than a lot of other companies. Here is an order I placed online not so long ago. They are for the exact same items that SU carries (and SU prices were also higher) so you can't tell me that the SU items' quality is better:

signo white pen $3.75
stazon refill $4.95
versa refill $4.25
brayer $10.95
total $23.90
shipping $5.95
tax $1.49
TOTAL $31.34

This is how much it would have cost me to buy from SU:

signo white pen $5.50
stazon refill $6.95
versa refill $5.50
brayer $17.95
total $35.90
shipping $11.95
tax $2.39
TOTAL $50.24

So, yes SU shipping is alot higher and the more you buy the more it is. Not so with most other companies. I don't even think the shipping on the couple of CTMH orders I placed were this high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #107  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
OK, so if you don't buy from other companies, how are you able to make the comment that shipping is high on other companies when clearly people on here have said they have bought similar products and paid less for shipping?
SU shipping charges are more than a lot of other companies. Here is an order I placed online not so long ago. They are for the exact same items that SU carries (and SU prices were also higher) so you can't tell me that the SU items' quality is better:

signo white pen $3.75
stazon refill $4.95
versa refill $4.25
brayer $10.95
total $23.90
shipping $5.95
tax $1.49
TOTAL $31.34

signo white pen $5.50
stazon refill $6.95
versa refill $5.50
brayer $17.95
total $35.90
shipping $11.95
tax $2.39
TOTAL $50.24

So, yes SU shipping is alot higher and the more you buy the more it is. Not so with most other companies. I don't even think the shipping on the couple of CTMH orders I placed were this high.

YIKES! That is a significant difference! As an SU! demo the only thing I can say about that is that you can get free stuff with SU, but not if you only order 31.00. That is really food for thought. Not even with my discount do I save $20.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #108  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelleyView Post
YIKES! That is a significant difference! As an SU! demo the only thing I can say about that is that you can get free stuff with SU, but not if you only order 31.00. That is really food for thought. Not even with my discount do I save $20.00.
I forgot to take the 10% off the merchandise price if you order through a demo. So ordering through a demo would bring the merchandise down to $32.31, shipping would stay the same, taxes would be $2.21, so the grand total would be $46.47. That still quite a difference. Over 25% of that would have been shipping charges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #109  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulottaView Post
I really appreciate it when a demo offers free shipping with a larger order--yes, she's just giving up some of her commission, but she's getting the volume which boosts her either toward her minimums or towards other benefits. Don't know too many who offer this, though.
I usually always try to help out with shipping when it is a large order!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #110  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

signo white pen $3.75
stazon refill $4.95
versa refill $4.25
brayer $10.95
total $23.90
shipping $5.95
tax $1.49
TOTAL $31.34

signo white pen $5.50
stazon refill $6.95
versa refill $5.50
brayer $17.95
total $35.90
shipping $11.95
tax $2.39
TOTAL $50.24

:shock: whoa!! that's a HUGE difference!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #111  
Matboard Maniac

I signed up as a demo just to help with the shipping and tax. My tax rate is almost 10% so I pretty much only save the shipping and tax off my orders. I will take it thought, it is better than nothing. I love SU! so I don't have a problem with the prices plus they treat their demonstrators pretty well! I love being able to earn free stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #112  
Pearl-ExPert

Before I became a hobby demo I looked up on the Stampin Up website to find a demo I can buy from. Just to save I became a demo but I don't regret ordering from her at retail prices for a year. i would never had met her otherwise -- she a great friend -- going to lunch with her in 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #113  
Rubber Obsessor

I just received a big order of Christmas and Halloween papers from Lifetime Moments, mostly paper a couple of sticker packs etc.

Total order was approx $90 before shipping

To Canada they charged me $26 which is requested through Paypal when the order is ready for shipping. I felt sick when I got that email.

However, paper is heavy and the post office is not cheap, live and learn

I am a demo and prefer rubber to acrylic, I will stick to SU for stamps, ink and cardstock but I don't like any of their patterned paper.

I will start traveling to stores to get PP.

In my day job I deal with shipping alot, shipping rates are expensive, a small 8lb. box I received from across Canada was $42

As far as the unmounted issue goes - SU should start selling EZ Mount for those who prefer unmounted.

I would go unmounted if EZ Mount were available, If SU went clear I would be very disappointed.

I just bought myself a few Stampendous cling mount rubber stamps -awesome!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #114  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2browndogView Post

As far as the unmounted issue goes - SU should start selling EZ Mount for those who prefer unmounted.

I would go unmounted if EZ Mount were available, If SU went clear I would be very disappointed.

I just bought myself a few Stampendous cling mount rubber stamps -awesome!!
I believe (and this is true for myself) that the issue is not whether SU should go to clear stamps. The issue is if you don't want to mount your stamps, SU should give you the option to not have to take the wood blocks and reduce the price of the stamp sets somewhat. You do receive them unmounted (on cling foam). Its just a waste to get the blocks if you don't intend to use them. I would imagine it would also reduce their shipping and material costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #115  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

I believe (and this is true for myself) that the issue is not whether SU should go to clear stamps. The issue is if you don't want to mount your stamps, SU should give you the option to not have to take the wood blocks and reduce the price of the stamp sets somewhat. You do receive them unmounted (on cling foam). Its just a waste to get the blocks if you don't intend to use them. I would imagine it would also reduce their shipping and material costs.
Devil's advocate here - keep in mind that I would prefer to be able to buy the stamps without the blocks as well.

TAC used to give the option of purchasing stamps with or without the wood blocks. The sets without the blocks were less expensive (which saved on shipping charges, because of the percentage thing). However, shortly after I discovered the company they stopped offering the wood block option because the overwhelming majority of their customers wanted the unmounteds. If it's truly as easy to offer both options as most of us seem to think it must be, why wouldn't they have continued to offer both, so as not to lose the customers who preferred the blocks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #116  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoudenView Post
Ditto.

I just placed a large order that had many bulky/heavy items. My order was aroun $425 so shipping was under $45. The total weight of my order (had to be split into 6 boxes) was 110 lbs!

I ran the #s from the UPS website (I have the weight for each box) and the quote was $107.42.

So shipping does get cheaper the more you order you just don't see it on your end. Like another poster said it's a way to easily charge people without having to have a complicated calculation based upon weight that would be impossible for a demo to calculate for customers.

I used to think their shipping was high too until I really ran the #s after I became a demo.

I can't wait for Mr. Brown to bring my packages on Friday. My only complaint about shipping is that SLC is too far from Milwaukee so I think it takes too long to get here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Devil's advocate here - keep in mind that I would prefer to be able to buy the stamps without the blocks as well.

TAC used to give the option of purchasing stamps with or without the wood blocks. The sets without the blocks were less expensive (which saved on shipping charges, because of the percentage thing). However, shortly after I discovered the company they stopped offering the wood block option because the overwhelming majority of their customers wanted the unmounteds. If it's truly as easy to offer both options as most of us seem to think it must be, why wouldn't they have continued to offer both, so as not to lose the customers who preferred the blocks?
I'm just guessing, but maybe if HALF of their customers wanted wood and the other half wanted unmounted, it would've been easier to offer both (than if only a few wanting one and an overwhelming majority wanted another). Maybe since they weren't getting so many orders on blocks, they couldn't get really buy them in bulk anymore for a manufacturer's discount or something like that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

it would require twice the warehouse space to offer both mounted and unmounted...

which i think would ultimately cause an increase somewhere.

just my thoughts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #119  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

What it all really boils down to is that any company that DOES charge the state sales tax has what is called Nexis in that particular state. What that means is they have license to do business in that state. Once any company get license to do business (in a state that does charge a sales tax), then that company IS REQUIRED BY LAW to collect and pay state sales tax to that state.

The company I work for installs sounds systems all across the US. We install the sound in many of the major sports stadiums in many different states. In order to legally do this, we have to acquire a license to do business in that state. Once we do that, we are bound by law to charge and pay state sales tax from anyone who even orders from our sound system catalog.

I realize that the most people out there do not realize this sort of thing.
But I would think that anyone would realize that no company is going to just out of the blue decide to charge tax just to "rip off" someone. Tax is not something that any company is going to mess around with. If they did, they would not have their business for very long and especially would not have it for 20 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #120  
Gallery Gazer

double post

Last edited by Evalou; 09-24-2009 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes