Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody ever hostess a party that bombed?

I'm hostessing a SU party the 19th and many of the people I invited won't be able to come. I've only gotten two "yes".

What do you do if nobody shows up? :oops:

Visit my gallery: http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=29311
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

i'm thinking of doing a party the 19th as well--and if noone shows up, i'll eat all the snacks and get really really good at making that sample! :lol:

or, you could always try to reschedule for another time people will be available? perhaps even just changing the time rather than the day?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #3  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Well, my upline will hold her workshop if she has at least 3. So - you plus the two... sounds okay!

Don't worry, relax, and just enjoy it.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 03:57 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Collect a lot of outside orders? I had a workshop scheduled for a Saturday afternoon, and then I had to change it to the morning, and I had much better attendance. Would that work?

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:01 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

At my first SU party I had 4 guests and only two of them bought anything. It barely hit $150 but my demo was happy because I signed up to be a demo when she closed my party!

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I once had SU party where only 3 people showed up, besides me. The demo was a little upset at first.
She kept asking if that was all. I had some last minute cancellations due to sick kids. Anyway, I ended up
with a $400 party so I was happy and so was my demo!

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~ Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:23 AM   #7  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 398 Likes on 240 Posts
Default workshop

My very first attempt at a party included only me and one other friend. Two had to cancel at the last minute: one due to illness, another due to an emergency at schoo. I got their outside orders though and managed to do quite well. Don't worry about it, just enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:26 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Can you get outside orders - do you have some friends that are into stamping already and might liek to at least get some of the good 1/2 price set?

Also with a nice demo they may have a few trickle orders that come in that they maybe able to add to your order.

All the home parties I have ever had the demo has always had a few extra orders that she had added to my party. I just had a SU catalog party and my demo added a few extra orders she had recieved in with mine - so my party went from $266 to over $350.

I had a Pampered Chef party and while I had about 8 people show up to the party only about 4 people bought stuff at the party - I did however have $800 in orders from friends who couldn't attend (end of October/begining of Nov best time to have a party talk people into buying holiday gifts). My show ended up being over $1000.

And if it is only 3 people - have a blast - those that come might actually end up buying more than if there was a bunch of people - maybe ask the demo if each person can do a few extra cards so that way they get more hands on time playing with all the cool stuff

Jenni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:26 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Sometimes a small group is better - nobody can 'hide' behind other people's orders. It will be fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

The first party I ever hosted for SU I ended up with 12 guests...I was freaking because I didn't know where everyone would sit. But in the end it was a dissapointment in sales. The workshop was completely hands on and I think the demo lost her shirt.

Ultimately only 3 of us continued on and between the three of us we would spend the same amount as the 12 at the original workshop. We had the BEST time, just the three of us and the demo, and were able to learn more advanced techniques because we were a small group.

My point is...you don't need a full house to have a great workshop...a lot of it boils down to the attitude of the demo and the hostess.

When I sold Tupperware I went to a home party where I was expecting 8 guests, there was only the hostess, her neighbor and her sister. Well I went about my demonstration completely unflustered by the fact that I had just driven an hour and gotten lost and left the party with no sales, BUT I had 3 recruits.

Lemons to Lemonade! Definitely!!

Allison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:50 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Default I am

My first party I had 16 adults and 7 kids. The house was packed!!
Then that day I signed up to be a Demo!!

All of the parties I have held have had drop outs.
One party had 26 people........I was VERY overwhelmed.
Last weekend my hostess invited 13 gals..........3 showed up.
I felt very bad for her. She wanted to cancell so I did not waste my day. I said no way!! We had a blast and it was fun we did 2 cards and a 6x6.
I was able to show so much stuff and the part went for 4 1/2 hours. We could not believe it.
I did go to one of my best customers and got her a 130.00 order to help her out. OH YEAH the one girl that has stamp stuff at home and has never used it and said she just could not see her doing.................bought 160.00.
I laughed cause she got the bug.
So don't worrry ask the demo if it is small if she wants to cancell. If not see if she is willing to do a bit more with the small group!!
Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Not to scare you... but I had a party where my demo flew from NYC to GA (that's where I'm living now) to do the party. I had 3 guests and $15 in sales. PATHETIC!!!

Now, I'm going to give the demos & send her the orders. Maybe people will order from me. Who knows!

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:53 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Once I booked a Tupperware party...my guests came but the Tupperware demo was a no show!! I took "outside" orders from my guests that came and I got LOTS of free Tupperware because the demo felt so bad about what happened!!

This was a long time ago.....had almost forgotten until you asked this question!

Julie C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

One time my hostess only had two guests show up. I didn't bat an eye and went on with the workshop as I had planned it. We even did an extra card for fun.

One bought nothing, the other bought about $60. No bookings. Between the hostess' order and my order...we got it up to $150 for a basic show.

Sounds like a bomb...but.......that one customer that ordered is now one of my very best customers...spends tons of money AND brings me new customers on a regular basis.

You never know what may happen down the road.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:18 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,014 Likes on 868 Posts
Default flop parties

I hosted a 'camp' at my home, where perple come and make 4 projects and pay $10.00 for supplies. I had a full house- I think 12. I spent $150 on food and spirits, and only had one person order 1 stamp set. So, my friend and I ordered up to a 150.00 show, to get the minimum hostess benefits. I think if I had a regular partyand not a camp, no one would come....... Felt bad for the demo... No, felt bad for me- I ended up spending a fortune on snacks, and she still got a party out of it even if the saled were low....... My friends did have a great time though!

Shelly

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:18 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Yup. Had 4 people show and the demo was a friend of one of my guests.

While everyone was deciding what they wanted to order, the demo told her friend if her order was big enough, it could be her own show. So I lost a $150.00 order! All I had in sales was $80.00 so it was a huge flop!

I found a new demo and she is fantastic! I had a party with her with only 3 people and it was a $200.00 party!
Good Luck!

Krissy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:19 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: locked in my classroom with a bunch of crazy teenagers!!!
Default low attendance

I hosted a party in January that got snowed out. Two ladies braved the storm to get away from their kids. We had a great time. We made two cards, looked at lots of samples, and had time to actually look at the catalog. They each made small purchases, but then...
I extended the show close date so I could get a chance to see everyone who had originally said they would come. I ended up having over $800 in sales. It was amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I would rather do a smaller show than a larger one. You can give the guests more personal attention that way. I've got a show tonight where the hostess has 20 confirmed people coming. Larger doesn't always mean bigger sales.

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by krissypics
Yup. Had 4 people show and the demo was a friend of one of my guests.

While everyone was deciding what they wanted to order, the demo told her friend if her order was big enough, it could be her own show. So I lost a $150.00 order! All I had in sales was $80.00 so it was a huge flop!

I found a new demo and she is fantastic! I had a party with her with only 3 people and it was a $200.00 party!
Good Luck!

Krissy
:shock: I can't believe the first demo did that to you! How awful! WHAT was she thinking????

I'm glad you found another demo and have had success with her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I know.. All of my other guests were shocked! It's not like she did it outside on the way to their car or anything.. they did it in the living room while people were in the dining room (and my house isn't that big!)They heard her telling the friend!
So the next week I found a new demo thru the website and explained my situation..She has been great to me!

Krissy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

My first home party was a tupperware open house (I was not a consultant). I had about 3 people out of 30 invited show up, with about $75 in orders. The TW gal was pretty bummed. But the next day I collected outside orders and had a huge party, approx $600 in sales. When the TW gal closed out the party, she was shocked. Many times when people can't make it, they may still want to see the catty and place outside orders.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 06:39 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Don't give up yet... I was in the same situation about a month ago and it turned out great! I only host once a year, and always during Sellabration, and since I only host once I try to invite a lot of people to make sure I have a really great party. This year, only 5 people came (and 2 of those RSVPd at the very last minute). Out of the 5, only 3 placed orders. My demo/mom and I both ordered, too, though... and it turned out to be my best party yet in terms of sales! We all had a great time and the party turned out to be in the $650-$700 range! You just never know...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default SU party that bombed

Ladies:

It is so refreshing to find out that I'm not the only who's been that this road. I've had 3 workshops planned that "bombed". I sent out invites, spent a decent amount of money on food, received RSVP's and only had "1" person showed.

I have been so discouraged with those results that I just wanted to become a "hobby" demo. Needless to say I felt very resentful. Each time I get asked "So when are you having another workshop", I feel like saying "when I get people that really follow through". Some people are flakey and don't show!!!!! As a matter of fact one of my on-going projects is cleaning my supply closet. I can't believe how much "candy" and supplies I've purchased to use for projects during my workshops. I have to throw away half of the candy, and recycle the supplies.

I've found out that some people just want to attend "free demos". Why pay $10 -15 dollars when you can get the ideas for free. So, what I've done is find a whole new audience. I also keep thinking of new ideas and incentives to keep them interested. I recently had a demonstration with 12 people. The sales were $500 dollars and they were all excited about future workshops.

So hang in there, and keep working at it!! Think "incentives" and that will help you get some "good & loyal" customers.

Good luck,

Ana Malick ')
SU Demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 07:19 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I htink the biggest key is finding a good demo or consultant for any home party you do...

I once did a Partylight party that was as a result of a booking from a booking from a booking...I ended up collecting about $300 in outside orders but I only had 2 people RSVP - the demo/consultant told me the day of she wasn't going to come if only 2 people were there - I told her she was coming and I had over $300 in orders already...once she heard I had that much in orders she changed her tune...I ended up having 4 people plus myself...

but my image of her was forever tainted - that and the fact she totally pushed and push and pushed becoming a Partylite consultant about half her spiel was about that (which she was not like that at the other 2 parties I attended).

Now I happen to love Partylite candles and will only buy their votives...the next time I needed some I went out of my way to find another consultant so I didn't have to deal with her...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 07:27 AM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It happens to even the best demonstrators! You should just laugh it off as a fact of life!

Once I did a demo north of Milwaukee on less than a day's notice. The hostess had invited 6 people and her demo cancelled last minute and she called me out of the blue and I prepared nice projects and drove up there.

We ended up with a $300 party, but most of it was the hostess' own order.

The problem was that one of the ladies brought her newborn (I mean REALLY newborn) baby. For most of the demonstration all the ladies were chatting about the baby, admiring the baby, cooing at the baby... many of them were so busy with the baby that they didn't do their projects.

As a matter of fact, the mother of the baby didn't do any of the projects at all and never ordered anything. I got the feeling that she only came because she wanted to "show off" the baby.

The poor hostess couldn't do anything about it. I felt bad for her.

We had fun anyways though and even though half of the party was her purchases, I still feel that it was worth it for her. She was planning to spend about that much of her own anyway... so it turned out fine.

I had alot of leftover unused project supplies too! I used 'em at the next workshop!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I had a show booked as a hostess on a night last month that they were forecasting freezing rain. My demo called the night before and we talked about cancelling or re-scheduling. My life's schedule is so finely tuned there really isn't a spare minute to re-arrange. Anyway, since it was part of my stamper 9 hostess month, I said let's have it and see who can make it. If no one comes I would feel badly for the demo but she was fine with that. So we forged on, the weather was cruddy but 17 people showed up!

It was a great party! Who knew. It closed with just under $1000 in sales!

HeatherJ
SCS Member #2067
Blog - http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.ca/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Man have I!!!! I had a party of 15! I was so excited!! (Except of course preparing make and takes for 15!). Anywho...12 showed up and only 3 people ordered!!! Here sales were only $160!!! I was soooooo bummed!! And not one person booked from her!!
Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 09:31 AM   #28  

Yup. I was a Pampered Chef consultant--hostess was motivated, invited 16 people (from the wealthier end of town, I might add), BUT...said hostess broke out the wine for the demo. Here I am, up in front, cooking my heart out for these women, and they are all getting tipsy :shock: . Ended up with 2 orders, and hostess had to make up orders to get the min of $150 for a show. However, later that month, had a hostess who only got 6 people there, and had a $700 show. You never know....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Default ok

I forgot to tell you about another party I had.
My friend hosted it for me so I could get experience.
She really tyought it would be a great party.......................NO SO
NO YES NO SALES AT ALL.
I losrt money on that one cause I had to drive 1/2 to get there then my supplies...............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAMom2ChelNJustin
Not to scare you... but I had a party where my demo flew from NYC to GA (that's where I'm living now) to do the party. I had 3 guests and $15 in sales. PATHETIC!!!

Now, I'm going to give the demos & send her the orders. Maybe people will order from me. Who knows!

Good luck!
Honey, you should sign up under your demonstrator! Shoot - if you're going to do the demo's already.... you might as well get the demonstrator benefits - it's good for you AND her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I am not a demonstrator, but an avid fan of SU. I just had a party in Feb. and most of my people couldn't come or canceled the day of. Needless to say I was disappointed, but was determined to have fun anyway. I got outside orders and really talked things up the day of the party. Of course I have a great demo. and she did a great job. My party was close to $700 and I got so muh free stuff I don't know what to play with first.

micmse
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

If you're getting from the guests that a lot of the no-shows are from it just not suiting that night, I think I would postpone it until another evening.

The whole point of a workshop is to get hostess benefits, and you and your demonstrator both know that the more guests you have, the more orders you are probably going to get, the more hostess benefits for you!

I've had small workshops that have turned out fine, but if you really think that another night would be better and more could come, than I think you should try it. Speaking as a demonstrator, she is going to appreciate it to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

I hosted my own workshop and no one showed! I was so disappointed. . . then my friends said they would come if I was having a stamp camp. Pay $ and leave with stamped cards . . .that was fine until I realized that every time I did that they just came, stamped their cards, and left. They just wanted to use my stuff but never buy anything. After all the refreshments, preparation, etc. I was in the hole. If I had one once a month they were set to go on all their cards every month!

Well, the next stamp camp will be making different papers and no cards! They will eventually have to buy something! Sometimes family and friends just take advantage of you. Also, I never let them order without paying. I tell them that when I submit the order, the company debits my checking account, so the money has to be there prior to the order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

I was to have a party with a demo that I met through a friend of a friend. Well I had about 6 people signed up to have a good time. She cancled it, saying she had to work that weekend. Even after I set it up with her a head of time. Any way I had a book party instead. Well, I found out that her Aunt had a party the same day as mine (her aunt was invited to mine as well). Her Aunt got all of the hostess benefits, & my orders didn't even add up to a party. Plus it took for ever to get the items that were ordered from her. Needless to say I found a better & nicer demo!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I just had a workshop/camp for the troops(most of the cards get donated to the troops) where I sent out over 50 invites, invited all my neighbors, had 8 RSVPs, 2showed, no orders. But, we did end up making about 30 cards for the troops.
Later that week, I hosted a Cookie Lee party. Did the same thing, even called everyone the day before. No one showed. No orders, except mine. I felt so horrible. I'm just bad at hosting parties!
I don't think I'm going to host anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

I had a Tastefully Simple party in December. I made the mistake of planning it on Saturday and having it on the next Sunday.

I invited about 12 people (by phone and email, since the postcards wouldn't get there in time). I only had my mom, my sister, and my cousin show up. I felt bad for the demo b/c she was new. But, after my outside order from work, I endd up with a $300 party.

We had to much food leftover from the party on Sunday, so I brought in all of the leftovers to work. Everyone LOVED everything! That sold them!
----
"Do you ever take it off any sweet jumps?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 12:07 PM   #37  
Inking Addict

Well, I am a demo - but I can relate to this thread. I was brand new to being a demo and I thought I would have an open house where I could invite people from all different areas of my life that have never stamped.

Well, I invited 20 people and one showed up. Even after 7 rsvps. I was so bummed and discouraged. The good news is that one person has ordered again and I was able to get some other outside orders.

I decided to just stick to those who are interested, maybe one of those other people will be interested down the road - but for now my business is doing well without them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

I hosted a Partylite party once a few years ago and it bombed! Only 2 people showed up and NO ONE placed an order. I had to put in a HUGE order just to get the hostess benefits! But then I also had a horrible demo for it - she totally messed up my order, then when it did come there were some defective products & she took them to exchange them and never did. It was horrible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

As a demo my first outside party the hostess ordered one package of paper and one customer ordered I think one stamp set and blender pens. But this hostess always did well in promoting others to come to functions even though she isn't a good supporter. The first customer at this party I kept on my email list and after 15 months she decided to host a party for me and has since then become a great support and encourager. So I guess what I am saying is even though the party doesn't seem worth the effort and you want to cancel you never know what might happen as a result of that one or two guests.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I am appalled by the number of people who have posted to this thread describing invitees who RSVP and then no-show or cancel last minute. How HORRIBLE!! Especially assuming you have some sort of relationship with that person, I mean it's not like they are total strangers - not to mention that even if they were don't you want to be kind to others?!?! :?

I understand sometimes things happen, emergencies and accidents, that can't be helped. But over and over again I read about people who specifically said they were coming and then didn't show or cancelled at the last minute.

Is it me or is that the rudest, most inappropriate thing to do??!?! Is it that hard to say "No, thank you anyway, but I'm not interested in that".

And it's not about the orders... I would rather have everyone who said they were going to be there show up and not order then have people no show or cancel at the last minute.

I'm just horrified, I guess my mother taught me differently.

I can tell you personally that I had 20 people no show for my wedding. In the scheme of things, it was insignificant, the day was wonderful and life goes on. But it really irks me that people who are special enough to me to invite to my wedding don't care enough about me to ...

a) want to be there
b) save me the money of paying for food gone to waste ($27 per person, mind you)

There's NOTHING wrong with saying "No thanks". People are just RUDE!
Reply With Quote Likes