Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else feel the pressure

To make your cards fancier or more envolved? I'm trying to make my swaps for regional and keep going, "Nope, not good enough." "Nope, too simple." "Nope, pathetic."
Sigh... this is such a wonderful site, but now I feel that I have to make all my cards WOW cards. I know that simple cards can be great, but now mine just look pathetic to me. Just wondering if anyone else feels/felt this way. Back to stamping!

Sharon
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

i do feel slightly inferior, cause i am not as good as these AMAZING creative ladies here.....but i think ALL cards are pretty, especially those handmade ones that have just a slight imperfection, like a glue spot or an ink oooopps!! call me silly!! LOL and dont get me wrong, perfect cards are just breathtaking, but i have a thing for cards that others may think are "not so good" .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Don't think of it as pressure, but inspiration. I believe this site has taken my stamping to a higher level. So many ideas and techniques I didn't even know existed!!!!

However, I try to remember, sometimes quick and simple is just perfect. It is the thought that counts right!!!? I would rather get a not so perfect card sent, than not get one sent at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 08:01 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

oh yeah baby! Talk about pressure. I am running out of time and not one single great idea. I will be at regionals with my plain and simple cards. I hope everyone will till swap me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Been there! Just remember everyone likes a well done, neat, professional looking card that can be easily duplicated. Technique and wow factor is fun, but what's more important is well done work no matter what level you are. I'd rather have a simple, plain card that's neat than a technique laden card that's not. Be proud of what you do because its your hand and heart that created it!
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 08:10 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

You know, I have done some more "creative/fancy" cards since I started stamping not that long ago however, I get the best reviews from the ones that are WAY simple! For instance, today I made a card using the mini messages set. I took DARK purple cardstock from unknown origin and stamped with versamark in the center with the "celebrate" stamp. Then I embossed it with silver. I took the heart from that same set and stamped it in a plum colour then embossed it with clear. I cut the heart out and attached it in the middle of the silver stamp with a dimensional and VOILA! A totally simple look but with TONS of punch! I would upload it but I don't have access to a scanner. It's going to make an awesome anniversary/wedding card! I love the more complicated looks you can find out there but sometimes simple really is better.

JocelynM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #7  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will tell you that in my 3 workshops this month-this card has gotten a lot of attention from customers, both new and veterans who have attended technique classes with me (etc.). It was relatively simple, and the idea/layout could be used with many variations. Obviously I am not telling you to make this card, but maybe the layout can spark an easy and relatively simple idea you could mass produce

**it was in the DD gallery, so if you are not a DD member you won't be able to see it. Sorry!**

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 08:18 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
especially those handmade ones that have just a slight imperfection, like a glue spot or an ink oooopps!!
LOL!! Dear Scrappinchick: I have the cutest stamp that says:

"This is an individually crafted WORK OF ART any smudges, splotches, or other irregularities are intentional and do not diminish the quality of this piece in any way."

Wish I could tell you where I got it but it was so long ago I have no idea. But, it sounds right up your alley! I don't know who made it, but the side of the stamp is stamped with:
Judi(heart)Kins
(c) CRB & JJW USA
1755D

Sharon- I think we all debate over whether our cards are good enough... I try to remind myself that after I've put so much thought and time into making a card, it's not going to hit me with a WOW, the same was as if I was flipping through a stack of cards and didn't know all the planning that was behind it- KWIM? I Just finished a beginners class which challenged me to keep things simple, yet hopefully get some "WOWs" from the gals. Out of the 5 cards we did- this is the one they liked best- and you can see its pretty straight forward. Baroque Burgundy, USVanilla, Copper Cord & Copper paper (which didn't scan very well), and the Old Olive Pastels looks like lime green- but you get the idea

Keep at it... I'm sure your creations are dreamy!! And, I tell my beginners that stamping is definitely a work in progress... and some of my *best* cards started out as my worst-
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody else feel the pressure-friendship.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 08:57 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just prepared for a "crystal, sparkle, and glitter" Valentine card class!
Good grief, this sounded like fun in August, when I was making up my class list, but I am exhausted! My work area is a mess with micro beads, glitter, and embossing powder!
Yes, I am happily getting back to simple cards after this!.

Britta, loved your "simple" glitter window red & white card!

Ok...I'll copy that and then get simple!
Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Dawn.MA - that is a beautiful card! I may have to CASE it for a workshop...

I've been having a lot of trouble myself lately keeping it simple... I had to make a birthday card for a friend, and since she's also a customer I thought, I better WOW her, and spent 3 hours on the card. 3 HOURS!!!
DH suggested after that that I should go back to basics... he may be right (shhhhh, don't tell him I said that! )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #11  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

There are so many simple and quick ways.

Simply layering mulberry paper. Simply tearing an edge, simply adding a ribbon. Any one of those elevates a card to a work of art, in my opinion. We all know that.

Beyond that,
It's what you have time for,
it's what you have room for,
it's what you can afford.

I don't really have a good place to do really messy stuff. And if I have to spread stuff out to dry, well, I have to clear a spot for that, too. :shock:

I love seeing other people's layouts, and colors. I have never felt good with colors. Then I use what I have to imitate it.

So I've never been to Regionals, are people snobby about swapping? Do you all take anyone's card without examining it first?? I guess if I tried to swap and someone refused me, I'd feel pretty sad!!!! If you are all working girls, it shouldn't be something that requires tons of work or expense to pull off!!!! Nobody should be a snob, duh.

:?

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 12:37 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Yeah, I feel the same way. I have already made some cards (different designs) for Rhode Island regionals and now that I look at them, I'm thinking of either re-doing some of them or atleast adding in some embellishments. I think they are way too simple. Maybe it's just me. I am in the process of scanning some cards to start my gallery. Once they're up I'll have to have you check it out and tell me what they need.

Pam

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 04:59 AM   #13  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't forget the Sketch Challenges-sometimes a nice layout makes ALL the difference. If you want more, do what Stampin Wrose said and add a little something extra. Another idea (beyond the good ones Stampin Wrose had) is to add a touch of crystal effects, or CE with microbeads. It moves it up a bit and adds a little extra punch. Things like crimping one corner or a little added punch make a big difference as well. Use a new punch (like the slot punch). I think having one element that is special helps make your card stand out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 05:10 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

When I swap, I want cards that I can demo easily and that beginners can do too. As the demonstrators we tend to think too much about what other demos think and forget to remember our customers.

Beautiful, striking cards don't have to be complex and be full of embellishments or techniques. If a new customer thinks it looks too hard, they'll be easily discouraged and quit before they find out how much fun stamping can be.

Go to the cards you made when you started or recieved early on and change colors or stamp sets. It'll be a whole new card for you and you'll be able to "fix" the things about it that you think weren't quite right.

Have fun, this isn't supposed to be stressful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 05:37 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Hi everyone. Thanks for your thoughts. You're right of course!
Dawn - that's a great card!
Britta - Oh what a tease! I unfortunately am not a member of the DD. I know I know, I need to be! I'm slowly putting money into a stash so that I can be.
Boy do I have the stamping bug today! Unfortunately I am also trying to potty train my 2 yr old. UGH!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 05:49 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

I went to Convention this past July and swapped over 100 cards. My girlfriend did the same. In the hotel we were looking at our trades. You know what? The "top ten" cards we got were always the SIMPLEST!!! No kidding. They were simple, but striking. Less is more, my stamping friend! And that is a very wonderful thing, especially when you are going to make a ton of cards for trades!

The point is, make something YOU like and are proud of. You will have no problem swapping at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 06:05 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Britta's card

Britta, I love the simplicity of your card and it is so WOWing at the same time. sometimes the simple ones are the best in my opinion. I have already sent this one to my favorites. Love it..................

http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/maryroth/

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 08:42 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Default Relax, they will be fine

I just came back from the Regional in St. Louis and brought back many, many swaps. There are fancy, simple, gorgeous and nice ones. I was glad to get an assortment of swaps so I can use some for workshops, some for swaps and some for WOW cards. Demos look more for the use of all SU products, ones that are made well and a happy swapper to trade with! No one will refuse your swap unless it is something different than what they have such as a project or trading cards but they won't refuse, just ask if it is okay to trade for that.
I took two different styles and they both went equally well, I gave them the selection and I got down to 2 of one and 3 of the other before we had to go take our seats.
I have often found that if I make a card that just does not set well with me, if I add some cord, ribbon, glitter or something, often it is what it needed.
I will try to attach photos of the swaps I took.
Marsha
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody else feel the pressure-grow_2.jpg   Anybody else feel the pressure-tree_2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 08:45 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Default Another card

I guess you can only add two at a time?
Marsha
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody else feel the pressure-love_2a.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Sharon: You are not alone! I love this place but do find my things are inferior too. I try to remember as a demo that people want things they can EASILY reproduce. This is why I like simple cards....it sells! Also, the simpiler (is that a word?) it is, the more time you have to make more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I completely relate. I've been stamping for a couple of years, but no where near the creativeness as the ladies here. I'm still like the new stamper, if it looks too difficult, I won't even try it. I love the clean, simple cards, which is what I'm doing for swaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 09:27 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Marsha - Beautiful cards!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Marsha- Thanks For Sharing... those go to show, LESS is MORE!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 10:59 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the ideas. I am always suprised at workshops what people find hard. I plan something simple, and people are so confused!

"Would you not like to be sitting on top of the world with
your legs hanging free" -Dave Matthews Band
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Don't be intimidated by the incredible artists here...just let their talent flow to you through the web! I think that's what happened when I made this card.

I really am thinking that someone crawled into my body and made this one. It's not something I usually do; thank goodness I made 4 at once so I can have proof that sometimes I do have that spark! I'm convinced that the spark came right off of SCS!

Keep it up...and remember you are always your worst critic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 12:43 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I ALWAYS try to make it better....then after I have made 100.....I start to dislike it!! How crazy is that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I went to a meeting last night and two of the "higher-ups" had been to Leadership, Manager's Reception, and the St. Louis Regionals. I was surprised at how simple, yet lovely, most of the swap cards were that they got. My upline reminded me when I was stressing about swaps for the upcoming San Antonio Regionals that most people want ideas to demonstrate, so a simple WOW is better than a complicated one. That made me feel better and, after seeing the swap cards, I'm ready to start doing my swaps.

I'd better start! I have less than 2 weeks until we leave! Yikes! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

Ginger (CajunStamper)

I'm missed the meeting last night so I didn't get to see the swaps they brought back from Leadership. I'll have to go over the Amy's to check them out.

But please do not stress over your swaps ~ I've seen your work and it is great!! I know personally I do not like cards which are overdone. I like simple, clean-lines. Just think about it like clothes... sometimes a simple classic black dress is so much better than a Mardi Gras ballgown covered with sequins & feathers.

Tracey
Baton Rouge, LA

"In order to accomplish something you've never accomplished before, you have to do something you've never done before. You have to take it to the next level. You have to let go of your security blanket and take a chance."-Drew Brees, NO Saints
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 04:32 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Hey Tracey! We missed you last night. I brought a recruit who "met" you here on Split Coast and she was hoping to meet you in person! Next time!

Are you going to SA regionals?

Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes