Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any such Site..

Hi,
ANybody knows any such site...which offers full time job for making cards or designing cards..??
I was really keen on joining into it...which gives me back the cost of the card atleast..coz Iam unable to sell my cards anywhere...& there getting wasted..!!

Shivani
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShivaniView Post
Hi,
ANybody knows any such site...which offers full time job for making cards or designing cards..??
I was really keen on joining into it...which gives me back the cost of the card atleast..coz Iam unable to sell my cards anywhere...& there getting wasted..!!

Shivani
lol.... i think this kind of opportunity exists in all of our dreams.

i would keep working at your cardmaking skills and attempt to get on a design team that will help with some of the costs. but the reality is that this is an expensive hobby and you either have to have a side job to make up for some of the costs (like teaching or working for a stamp/scrapbook company) or create within your budget.

the reality is no one is going to pay you for something that millions of people do for free, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

How I wish there was one..so i culd get rid of my present job & happily get into tis work..wich I love so much..there arent much job opportunities in India...for such work..neither pple prefer to buy handmade cards..!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

If you had to make them for a living I reckon the joy would soon evaporate!

As Tobi says its expensive. I tell all new people up front that it is so...just so they don't come back to haunt me down the track!

I tell the hubby I have to have something to do stuck out in the sticks! Have you considered giving bundles of extras as gifts to family or friends? I gave just on 100 to my SIL recently, who thought she was in heaven....only downside was...she asked when her next instalment was...cheeky woman!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I hear you can try selling them on Etsy.com.. I know what you mean you have a ton of cards and nothing to do with them.. Good Luck.. Stef
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Some design teams pay cash and product. But it still does not add up to a "full-time" paying job. It is a great supplement though. I say look for a team that might pay you or submit to magazines that pay for publication. Just some ideas for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

How I wish there was one..so i culd get rid of my present job & happily get into tis work..wich I love so much..there arent much job opportunities in India...for such work..neither pple prefer to buy handmade cards..!!
there aren't job opportunities like that over here either. You cannot make a "full-time living" on making cards. At best it's a suppliment.. This is a craft, a hobby, and it's not meant to be a job. it's purpose is to give your life a little more meaning, and also an escape from the every-day hustle and bustle of the world..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
Some design teams pay cash and product. But it still does not add up to a "full-time" paying job. It is a great supplement though. I say look for a team that might pay you or submit to magazines that pay for publication. Just some ideas for you.
Just wanted to add that it worth looking into your supplies and their policy - I know one stamp maker that used to pay for publication whether you were on their team or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Think about an Etsy shop. There is some money to be made there. If you do research you'll find that nice quality cards go anywhere from $2.99 to over $7 each. The $7 range are usually put up by designers that are pretty well known, but your quality may rival theirs, so check it out. The fees are very small to sell on there. Another idea is to bundle them and sell them on your local craigslist, or even on ebay. That is...until you get on a design team. Hope your dreams come true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

How I wish Angie..dreams *** true..& iam full time into card making..!!
I tried sellin in local shop..but they are not willing to pay the price of the stuff which I have used in the card..so most of the cards go in waste only..!!

I feel bad..as I have ample of ideas..wich i want to execute..but due to lack of time & wastage of cards aftewards..make me feel tat let it be..leave it..!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think I would ever think of a card as "wasted". If you don't have family or friends to give them to there are always hospitals, nursing homes, and other places that would love to have them donated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I tried sellin in local shop..but they are not willing to pay the price of the stuff which I have used in the card..so most of the cards go in waste only..!!

I feel bad..as I have ample of ideas..wich i want to execute..but due to lack of time & wastage of cards aftewards..make me feel tat let it be..leave it..!!
you can't charge shops for what you put into a card. it doesn't work that way.. you have to charge a flat fee...

take a look at my cards. some of them i have spent HOURS and LOTS of $$$ but it doesn't matter... i sell them at a shop for $5.95 and i get $3.50 from that. i don't recover my costs, but at least they're not wasted..

i'll put it on the line here... you can't quit your job for this. if you can't afford the hobby, you should find a more affordable hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am not sure of your situation - but not being in the U.S. changes some of the options a bit. I am sure different cultures have different customs about cards. But if you are located near an area where there would be "foreign" groups who would like to see cards representing their holidays, etc, it could be an outlet. An example I am thinking of - if there were an American school, the teachers/parents might like Thanksgiving cards and be willing to pay.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I'm sorry that you have had such a difficult time. I suggested Etsy because then you can ask retail yourself and cut out the middle man. If you sell to a store then you sell for wholesale and they get the retail price. I know Etsy works for many people because they find a niche to sell what people are looking for. I thought you may want to spend some time surfing thru that site to see what type of cards are selling, and make adjustments to your products to make them more marketable, if that is a need. I love the idea of donating to nursing homes, hospice groups, and I'll add elementary schools. Wouldn't it be great to donate time to volunteer in a class a few times a year, give each child one to two cards, and teach them how to send one to their mothers/grandmothers, address envelopes, put on stamps, etc. What a fun lesson for them, their relatives will get a surprise in the mail and you would be the happiest of them all! Just my 2 cents...I agree that no card should ever go to waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

In a developing country too - what I would charge for a card in the States is sometimes someone's full day's wage here, or even more. There's that to consider. I know that here in Indonesia, giving cards is not really common either...is it a custom in India, Shivani?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Due to e-card...handmade cards..dont seel much..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a thought... If cards do not sell in your area, are there any other types of paper crafts that might do better? Maybe home decor items like small boxes? Wall art? Sun catchers? Decorated baskets? Three-dimensional ornaments? Cardstock flower wreaths or arrangements?

The point is to be creative in coming up with new ideas and new ways to approach paper crafting when the old standbys aren't selling. But even so, paper crafting isn't going to pay you like a full-time job would.
Reply With Quote Likes