Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any Rumors SU will Go Clear?

I have mixed feelings about clear stamps and about unmounted (messy unorganized me tends to "lose" my clear stamps -- they are in my craft room, but where???).

But, I have to admit that if I'm going to go unmounted, clear is pretty cool!! Any rumors that SU might go clear??? I know that they manufacture their own stamps and switching from rubber to clear might not be feasible, but sooo many companies, such as Hero Arts and MSE, are now offering both.

Watcha been hearing???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, I'm hardly in the know, but I haven't heard anything like this.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to know TOOOO! I'm running out of space, after piling them on my treadmill, amongst my books and on the top of my closet shelves, I've just gotta do something. Can't build my dream craft room, because we're moving in 2 years and I doubt I'll find a buyer who'd want a craft room instead of a
3rd bdroom. I'm buying unmounteds from the Net and tending to be extremely careful about SUs mounted right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Has anyone heard that SU bought "Clear Stamps?" I think I have that name right. But then I heard that they have no intention of merging the companies. And if that's so, will the design teams be kept separate. I just think that stamp companies have got to take clear stamps seriously.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 03:34 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erica Fields
Has anyone heard that SU bought "Clear Stamps?" I think I have that name right. But then I heard that they have no intention of merging the companies. And if that's so, will the design teams be kept separate. I just think that stamp companies have got to take clear stamps seriously.
Shelli & Sterling Gardner, not SU, bought Clearsnap. They make the wheels and they have some great inks too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Personally I think SU is missing out on a great opportunity - Clear stamps are the future of stamping IMHO.

I only have one set, but it was unbelievably easy to stamp titles/words with the alphabet sets from CTMH I borrowed from a gf.

I just got my first unmounted stamp, and can definately see the storage advantages with UM. I love all my SU stamps, and I have plenty. I am mulling around with the idea of going UM, primarily for storage reasons.

I am not an an experienced stamper, and I really don't know the technical aspects off all the different stamps, (rubber, acrylic, etc) but it seems that clear unmounted stamps just make more sense? YKWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Hey Erica, a treadmill is supposed to be for exercise, not stamp storage!!
Ha Ha!! Back to the topic, I've always heard SU will never go acrylic. Personally, I've been too afraid to try clear stamps just in case I like them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 04:48 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I for one hope that SU will never go clear....

I like the feel of rubber and mounted stamps...

I have bought a few smaller sets of clear stamps and just don't like them...I tried...I tried different ink...I tried different blocks but I just didn't like them...

Personally I don't think SU would ever go to acrylic stamps - if thier niche is going to be true rubber stamps then I think they will stay that way...

Now offering them in an unmounted fashion - that could be a possibility - although I would be highly upset if they stopped offered mounted...

Anyway it ain't going to happen this year...if it was I am pretty sure SU would have prepared their demos by now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 04:54 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I have to say that I really don't care for the acrylic stamps like I do unmounted RUBBAH! I DO like the ease of placement with clear/acrylic stamps, but the images are always iffy for me. I'm pretty experienced with stamping, so I think it's just something I need to play around with, and I just don't ever want to take the time. So I have lots of CTMH stamps just sitting in their cute little storage box!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I really hope they never do or i would stop being a demo - i have read many many things about acrylic stamps not lasting and how they go gummy after a couple of years. Not worth the investment imo. I would like the option of them going UM though as they take up less room but i haven't heard of any future plans for anything of them moving from mounted... wether its acrylic or UM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 05:54 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I think it would be the smartest thing they could do. The LSSs are saying that their sales of wood mounts are dropping out of sight. Our biggest LSS quit carrying any wood stamps and she used to have thousands. Our JoAnn is doing the same thing. I only buy sets that I cannot live without and then unmount them at this point. I bought about 1/2 the number of sets this year that I bought l last year and yet I spent more money on sets than I ever have. I bought unmounteds from other companies. I don't care if they go clear (as long as they go a quality clear and not the kind that yellow or go gummy) and I think that just unmounted rubber would be good too. I am just SO done with wood in my stamp room. If SU remains stubborn about the wood I predict customers will become increasingly disgruntled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Here is a picture taken at the CTMH convention in '04, the year we switched to acrylic stamps... For those of you concerned with storage issues, this picture shows the difference between 18 wood stamps vs. 18 My Acrylix stamps. Like some of you, I was a die-hard wood and rubber stamper, and about fell out of my chair when the announcement was made at convention that we were going to acrylic stamps... But now, I can't STAND to use wood stamps anymore. ;)

Anne Case
Attached Thumbnails
Any Rumors SU will Go Clear?-cnv0005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

i like to grab a box, open it and have 4-10 stamps right there.

and i change my mind in mid-stream too much to have to mount and unmount and then mount and unmount...

i just grab another box when i change my mind.

i did just order some bellas but i will be finding a way to mount permanetly mount them for future use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I have never used anything except for a wood mounted rubber stamp, but I bet the other ones aren't bad. I would probably like them, so as long as they are quality, I'd get used to it.

I guess I just don't understand how unmounted/clear/whatever works because I have never seen one used or paid much attention to them in the store.

I fear the unknown!

I started my GALLERY!!!!!!! I really *am* a stamper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I prefer rubber to acrylic. It has a better feel to it and I always worry that my acrylics will rip if I don't take them off carefully. The rubber mounts on the foam cling and that adds stability *and* gives a better image.

SU as it stands now satisfies both camps, mounted and unmounted. They are delivered unmounted and those who wish to stay that way can. Those that prefer the wood mounts can mount them as they have always done.

One nice thing would be a price break on those that opt for the unmounted option. The absence of the the wooden block should bring the price down. Even tho SU stamps are VERY reasonably priced, I would buy many more if I could afford it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 07:18 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by galoosh
SU as it stands now satisfies both camps, mounted and unmounted. )
I must strong disagree. SU stamps are much, much more expensive than unmounted. Shipping costs could greatly be reduced if they went UM. Not to mention the waste of all that wood. I do not think the person who has gone completely unmounted and has done so for a period of time likes that they still have to buy the wood with SU. I wish they would give us the bare rubber at a reasonable cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

SU as it stands now satisfies both camps, mounted and unmounted. They are delivered unmounted and those who wish to stay that way can. Those that prefer the wood mounts can mount them as they have always done.

One nice thing would be a price break on those that opt for the unmounted option. The absence of the the wooden block should bring the price down. Even tho SU stamps are VERY reasonably priced, I would buy many more if I could afford it
I think you make an excellent point. I never thought of that before but you are so right. If SU! would just give us a price option to buy the same set without wood for a reduced rate that would be awesome. Nothing would have to change for them except that they would not put the wood in some of the cases. I love all my stamps from the acrylics, to the unmounted rubber, to my wood mounts. Price does have me going more and more to the unmounted but I do not think that SU! is over priced at all for their incredible wood mounted sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

I have some acrylics, but I'm not a huge fan, not sure why. Old fashioned? If nothing else, I'd like to see SU give the option of either, but not sure if tht is practical. I like the feel, etc., of the wood blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

And like Vonnie said, I worry about them ripping, too. I actually did have this happen with one of my Stampendous clear ones. I can still use it, but it's a pain. I am not gentle enough for the acrylic world, I fear!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

From what I have observed, I believe there is too much demand for all types, to warrant a company abandoning one market for the sake of another:

There are those that are die-hard WM fans and they always will be.
There are those that are die-hard UM fans.
There are those that are die-hard clear fans.

And, there are those that are hybrid stampers, like myself (and, I never thought I'd become a hybrid stamper that would embrace clear or UM), who, as long as the image is quality, and we like it, by golly, we'll buy it, whichever way it comes. ;)

There are benefits to each of these different forms of stamps--one is not better than another, outside of personal preference, and the technique the stamps are being used for.

I love the fact that there is so much variety in type--I love having ALL options, and I personally don't look at it as: Well, they don't offer clear, therefore, I refuse to buy. Or, they don't offer UM, so I refuse to buy.

I buy what I love from too many different, FABULOUS companies. I love it all!

I AM STAMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Agree wholeheartedly.

From what I have observed, I believe there is too much demand for all types, to warrant a company abandoning one market for the sake of another:

And, there are those that are hybrid stampers, like myself (and, I never thought I'd become a hybrid stamper that would embrace clear or UM), who, as long as the image is quality, and we like it, by golly, we'll buy it, whichever way it comes. ;)

There are benefits to each of these different forms of stamps--one is not better than another, outside of personal preference, and the technique the stamps are being used for.

I love the fact that there is so much variety in type--I love having ALL options, and I personally don't look at it as: Well, they don't offer clear, therefore, I refuse to buy. Or, they don't offer UM, so I refuse to buy.

VERY well said Julie!!! ITA!!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK, well, Julie took the words right outta my mouth but, ummm....yeah...what she said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really like the clear stamps. I don't seem to get a good impression and it's hard to put longer stamps on the acrylic block straight. (I suppose if I had a line on my block, that would help.) I wish SU would offer unmounted AND mounted stamps. I'm now a convert to the unmounted stamps. It seems like such a waste of materials to have to toss the cushion that comes on the SU stamps. (Since I use the EZ Mount foam.) I now have a basket full of wood blocks (after tossing many many blocks turning my big conversion maybe six months ago).

I would like the option to buy unmounted.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #24  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

I am afraid of unmounted/acrylic.....not sure why. I am one of those who also just likes to grab a set and work with it, I don't mind SU offering all kinds for everyone, but I don't want to have to worry about learning about cling, and clear, and whatever else~ I just like my little wood mounted red rubber stamps.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #25  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 397 Likes on 240 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmama
I am afraid of unmounted/acrylic.....not sure why. I am one of those who also just likes to grab a set and work with it, I don't mind SU offering all kinds for everyone, but I don't want to have to worry about learning about cling, and clear, and whatever else~ I just like my little wood mounted red rubber stamps.
Me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I use unmounted, I prefer clear (good quality clear, though). For some reason, unmounted rubber seems to me the worst of both worlds (as far as what *I* want in a stamp). I don't love fiddling with unmounted, but if the placement is fabulously easy (as with clear), it's worth it to me.

It's a good thing we have so many choices to fit so many stampers, isn't it? :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!

Quote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Amen!! LOL!! Very well said I AM STAMPER TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Let's hope not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many choices.....so many preferences.....I would love it if SU would offer UM sets & would probably buy more. In '06 I purchased very few sets - out of room, focused on tools,got UM (not acrylic) from other companies. Have a few sets that are still untouched - I just make up my mind "To put them on the wood or not"...that is the question. Such a dilemma to have!!!
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I just made a giant leap and ordered two unmounted BGs from Cornish Heritage Farms (thanks Lisa) and sat for 10 minutes looking at the screen trying to make that decision. I'm pretty much all SU as far as stamps and have never used unmounted, but since I have Bellas on the way, I opted to try it for the large BGs. I just couldn't see adding two more large heavy wood blocks to my stamping inventory when there was another alternative. I think an unmounted option like CHF offers would be a good move for SU also.

I'm anxious to try it and see how it works for me. My only question, how do you store the large unmounted BGs. They won't fit in a CD case... any advice out there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

ME TOO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Personally I love mounted rubber. I have some unmounted rubber and some acrylics and I don't like them nearly as much as mounted rubber. I also love many different brands of stamps. As a demo I would love for SU to have the option of buying stamps mounted or unmounted. As for going to only acrylics, I would hate that!! I would definatly stop being a demo, since I am pretty much just a hobby demo anyway. I have a few acrylics and even though I love the image I hate the stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really hope not!

I have used several different brands of 'clears' and I have never gotten the same crisp clean image I get from rubber.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

My mantra is...I do not discriminate...I love all stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

wood mounted stamper here -- I do have some acrylics, but much prefer the wood mounted, like others, may just be too old a dog.... or something. I'm a stamper too and that's how I stamp, but I do go for the images first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I prefer to use rubber and not acrylic. The rubber gives a crisper image and some of the acrylic's images aren't as clear.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

I have tried and tried to "like" clear stamps. I have purchased sets a number of times and even though I like the images, I just don't grab them and use them. I don't enjoy putting them on the acrylic blocks..taking them off again... Who could know why I find it irritating.

I have tried keeping my acrylic blocks on my work table thinking accessibility was the issue... it wasn't. Golly, I wish I knew why using them made me crabby ;o)

I must say, if I had the choice between rubber unmounted and clear, I would take clear. But the image with the clear is not crisp like a "rubber" image.

I MUCH prefer wood mounted rubber stamps. If SU went clear or unmounted only I would probably be able to survive quite nicely with my little collection of existing stamps. Maybe in a year or two I would come out of my den and venture into the world of "clear". No guarantees though.

I have purchased clear sets only to list them on e-bay (2 sets are listed on there now!). I do still have one MSE clear set that I purchased before Christmas 2006 - couldn't resist the cute images. I will see how much use it gets. So far I have only used it once. My other clear stamps were from CTMH and they have almost all been sent on to new and happier homes via e-bay.

Now you have another two cents.

My Gallery

"...God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25-26
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, this is starting to sound like the stay-at-home mom vs. working mom argument-I think we need an Oprah show to give this controversy it's due!!!!
(kidding-I agree with Julie, as long as the stamp is quality-I'll stamp with it and buy more! That being said, I haven't had my clear stamps long enough to see if they stand the test of time)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't mean to start a debate "wood vs. clear vs. rubber vs. the next new thing!!" I just wondered if there were any clues that SU might go clear. Julie makes a good business case why they might not. I say "might not" because you just never know for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I didn't mean to start a debate "wood vs. clear vs. rubber vs. the next new thing!!"
Totally.

Quote:

I just wondered if there were any clues that SU might go clear. Julie makes a good business case why they might not. I say "might not" because you just never know for sure!
I'm no econ genius, (soooooo true), but, they gave up offering foam mounted as an option because the profitability margin wasn't worth it. I don't see how this would be much different of a scenario for a company like SU! . . . :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes