Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcgView Post
After you break up the sets, how do you store them?
Most are in plastic boxes (clam shell, old CTMH boxes, or the picture frames that are like un-lidded boxes). That way I can subdivide even further--In the flowers drawer, I have them together by roses, tulips, daisies etc. Same for animals--birds, butterflies, cats, horses etc. and transportation: trains, cars, ships/boats etc. Mostly I have made use of the containers the stamps came in originally. For Christmas and Hearts/Valentines I purchased the plastic picture frames.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #42  
ch
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I did and I love, love, love it. No index sheet, I donated most of the clam shells. I have no plans to ever sell them, I will donate if I get tired of them. Can I tell you how fun it is to make a Thank You card and open a drawer with thank you stamps and see so many choices.
I just separated my SU wood mount sets. I was happy to get rid of sayings and words that had no meaning to me, (ex. embrace life, live with passion).
I have my stamps in a set of drawers. There are 10 drawers in this rolling cart. The drawers hold stamps 2 deep. I have drawers for thank you, birthday (words), birthday (images), baby, flowers, animals, wedding/love/valentine, just for you/misc. words, Christmas, Halloween.
This works for me! I stamp more. I also stamp with my grandkids--they know what goes in each drawer and are happy to help me stay organized.
I did keep a few sets together such as Loads of Love, All in the Family. I have been purchasing more SU stamps in the clear mount format. I have kept them together, they look so nice on my shelf! I have no plans to separate them yet. But who knows what I will do down the road.
Now I need to go make a quick birthday card. I know exactly where the birthday stamps are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't regret it. I did keep some very specific sentiments with the sets if that is all I'd use them with. Like a butterfly sentiment with the butterfly stamp. But all the generic sentiments went together like thank you, get well etc. anything that could go with more than one stamp set.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

I'm also with the group that says "EEK, I can't wrap my brain around it". However, I do make a copy of the label sheet with every new SU Set I buy, before I break apart the labels and put them on the stamps, and keep them in my "Stamp Inventory Binder". I think I might start making some pages for all of the "Thank You" and other sentiments...that would be a big help when I am looking for a particular style or size. :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VittView Post
I'm with the group that says "EEK, I can't wrap my brain around it" I would really like to make some kind of index for sentiments. When there is just 1 or 2 in a set, I can't remember which set had the what sentiment or word. Now that the stamps are on the edge of the SU! cases, it makes it easier though. Love that!

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been breaking up my SU sets because the clamshells are an inefficient use of space. My space is at a premium, and it seemed like there was so much empty space in the clamshells, and around the little lip on the clamshells.

I photocopy the label sheet and put it in the empty clamshell. I've sold a few sets, and all I had to do was find the clamshell, and then use the photocopied label sheet to reassemble the set. Easy.

No regrets. I can store so many more stamps in the same space now.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

The idea of breaking up a set puts me in a cold sweat! I have a binder where I have catalogued all of my stamps by category (Christmas, nature, sentiments, etc.). If an image fits in more than one category, I stamp it in both places. I label the image with the name of the set. Then I got a little notebook and wrote down the name of each set I have and put the number of the drawer I have the set in.

I know it wastes space when you have all of that empty space in a clamshell box, so I use the empty space to store additional stamps from other companies that aren't part of a set. My notebook has pages for listing various stamps by company. If I've stored that stamp in one of the SU clamshells, I note which set it's with so I can find it easily. Took a while to get that all done, but it was totally worth the effort!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

I split most of my sets up this past winter and organized them into categories with each drawer of my Sterlite 3-drawer containers labeled with the category names. I LOVE my new system and have found it much easier to find and use stamps that were otherwise ignored. I have no regrets!! There were a few sets that needed to remain as sets though. I have an index as well, but as someone said earlier, it's not with any kind of thought to put them back in sets again, but rather to help me decide what I might want to use. I'm much happier in my stamping room now!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a 4X6" recipe box as an index. So far I have a total of 1 stamp that is too big to fit fully on a 4X6 card. My index is by image category. However I have recently started a binder index by company, and written in the company names to my card file index.

I have broken up a lot of sets. Mostly because the containers they came in were flimsy and broke. Some I made my own plastic canvas boxes for. Most of the peg type stamps I have are in PC boxes. I get a lot of stamps secondhand, which are rarely in containers at all. Most of my stamps are stored by category. I haven't really broken up any SU sets that I got as sets. Maybe I should. I have a lot of stamps I don't use much, especially sentiments (as a calligrapher, I can write my own).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #49  
Glitter Queen

This thread has been really helpful...thank you! I have been trying to decide whether or not to split up my clear stamp sets and all of your comments have helped me decide to take the plunge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podunk PrincessView Post
This thread has been really helpful...thank you! I have been trying to decide whether or not to split up my clear stamp sets and all of your comments have helped me decide to take the plunge.
Good luck to you on your endeavor. I don't think you will regret it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2011, 03:25 AM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

I'll admit, I'm way to afraid. I love to keep them all on blocks and in their original clear boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
I'll admit, I'm way to afraid. I love to keep them all on blocks and in their original clear boxes.
I still keep them on the wood blocks (love the feel of the wood block in my hand) and in the plastic boxes (just not in the original combos--they are grouped by theme). That being said, you should do what pleases you as there are no rules here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

I just broke up my wood SU sets this weekend! I couldn't believe how freeing it was! I planned to sell a few sets, but once I started sorting them by type (cats, birthday, flowers, leaves, hearts, etc.) I realized that I actually liked the individual stamps in the sets. I can't believe how many clamshells I emptied! It will definitely help with storage issues. I did not break up any of my 2-step stamping sets & I do not plan to break up my clear SU sets. Other than a general stamp inventory (by company) in Excel, I really don't plan to make up a complex index. I may stamp each stamp on paper & put them in binders by categories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 03:53 AM   #54  
Mad Swapper

Oh, I did not unmount the stamps, either. I just sorted them into about 10 plastic shoeboxes. I have plenty of shoeboxes and I may break up the stamps into smaller categories at some point later .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I could break up my sets, but........ time, etc. Maybe if I had a lovely library card index I would do it quicker than just putting it off. I would NOT unmount my WM stamps though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelanne21View Post
I just broke up my wood SU sets this weekend! I couldn't believe how freeing it was! I planned to sell a few sets, but once I started sorting them by type (cats, birthday, flowers, leaves, hearts, etc.) I realized that I actually liked the individual stamps in the sets. I can't believe how many clamshells I emptied! It will definitely help with storage issues. I did not break up any of my 2-step stamping sets & I do not plan to break up my clear SU sets. Other than a general stamp inventory (by company) in Excel, I really don't plan to make up a complex index. I may stamp each stamp on paper & put them in binders by categories.
Me too!!! It felt great, although I do plan on selling some of the stamps. Some I will sell in sets but some I will sell as individuals. I found that when I removed a stamp or two from a set that I really liked the new 'set'. I have my stamps listed on an excel spread sheet that has them broken down by category and I will slip this into the binder I have that has the images stamped onto pages. I really feel like I am more comfortable with what I kept now that I'm done weeding and that I have lots more motivation to use my stamps!!1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #57  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I separated my sets last year and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! My only regret is that I didn't do it SOONER!! My solution was to combine sets into different storage containers, by grouping them by art style AND theme. I included details on the photos on some pics in my gallery:
Saving Space! (1) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Saving Space! (2) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Saving Space! (3) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Organizing and Pics of my workspace:
Organizing... and dusting. - Sassy & Sweet Notes
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I love your space. I just need to reorganize my "schtuff"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #59  
Compulsive Stamper

I have all of my unmounted stamps in clear shoebox size containers that are categorized and numbered. I also put each individual stamp in an envelope inside the container with the image stamped on the front of the envelope so I can flip through the envelopes and find the image I want. This also prevents the stamps from sticking together. I do have individual wood mounted stamps stored in the containers also. I have a binder with all the images/sentiments matched to the categories/numbers of the clear containers so when I need a certain image/sentiment all I do is grab my binder find the category I am looking for and the number associated with it and grab that numbered container off the shelf. Right now all of my S/U stamps(about 30 sets) are still in their clamshells but I stamped them into my binder by set. I plan on unmounting them soon..it just takes some time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Oh, I really like the idea of keeping the unmounted stamps in envelopes with the images printed on front. I hadn't quite figured out what I was going to do with them. I do plan to put my cling mounted stamps in the same type of stacking organizers that SweetMissDaisy uses. I purchased quite a few of them and organizing them is on my "To Do!" list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #61  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 808 Likes on 330 Posts

Okay, this may be a kinda dumb question, but what is a 'stamp set'?

I'm assuming it has something to do with unmounted or Stampin' Up. Which I guess would explain why I don't understand, cause I don't have any Stampin' Up and very few unmounteds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #62  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Stamp set refers to a grouping of stamps that are bought together, as a set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #63  

I've never bought a set before, do they have a theme?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #64  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes, they usually do. The idea is that you have all the stamps you need to make one card. Problem I have is that there is usually at least one stamp in each set that I don't like. Stampin'Up only sells their stamps in sets which is why I don't have many SU stamps. I like to pick individual stamps that I like and not be forced to spend money on a stamp I don't like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #65  

I got it now, thanks byingst. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLS881View Post
Would love to get one of these!
Too bad we are not in the same state. Isold two recently and it was not easy to find buyers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been stamping since the 80's and have always unmounted my stamps. I also use the envelope system and filed them alphabetically by catagory. I keep the sentiments next to my stamping desk because it seems I'm always looking for them first. They are in envelopes, too. I stamp each image on the front of an envelope and put as many images as I can fit on the front. I also list (on the front) who made the stamp. When I need a flower stamp, I just go to a drawer of envelopes marked "Flowers" and pick an envelope with an image I want to work with. I just use my glue runner on the back, stick them on an acryllic block and I'm ready to go. After I'm finished with the rubber, I put it back in the right envelope. if they are sticky yet, I put them on a little piece of clear aceatate. I am SO glad I started this system when I started stamping (UMs were really had to find then) as it's a lot of work after the fact. I'm not going to sell any of my stamps. When I die, someone else can have/buy them and figure out what they want to do.
I have had trouble deciding what to do with my CTMH stamps, though. I think I'm going to pull the sentiments off but from there, I don't know. Any good ideas???
Bug
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #68  
Kookie Creator

Tara and Bug-I can't quite picture this. What type of envelope are you using.
Thanks
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #69  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have read most of the posts in this thread but I might have missed one or two - but so far there is NO ONE who has split up their sets and regrets it, right? Just a few who wish they had kept records better so they could reassemble the sets if they were to sell them (not too many of those) and TONS of chickens like me who are not ready to make the big move. . . but LOTS who have done it and are happy.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #70  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yes, I'd say so, Cathy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #71  
Gabfest Goddess

OK. I guess I'll take the plunge and do it too!!! But since I am not worried about resale, I will also unmount the wood ones so I can have everything together in categories. Lord, it will take me a long time. . . . but I'll do it. Plan is to microwave,take off the foam and stamp, and sticker, put the sticker on the foam, coat with a mixture of Tack it over and over mixed with a little water, then mix the rubber and the clear and store by category. Just not sure about how to store them once they are unmounted - but figuring it out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

klpt58 I just use cheapie A-2 envelopes from Staples. I seal them and cut a teeny bit off of the top,(sometimes a little bit of scotch tape is needed to hold the sides) then I hand print the catagory on the top left and stamp the images on that side with the name of the company underneath each one only so I can see what I have just by thumbing through my clear storage drawers. It is an easy, cheap storage "problem". None of those systems with velcro and such you have to buy. Do it yourself for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #73  
Crimping Master

I broke up my sets, put them in 5 x 7 x 2 clear boxes, labeled them by genre and instantly gained twice as much space. I, too, am now using more of the stamps because having a system makes sense to me. I hated the clam shells immediately, but it took a couple of years to find the right solution!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #74  
Gabfest Goddess

Where'd ya get the boxes?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
Where'd ya get the boxes?
gr8cards, I'd really be interested in where you got the boxes, too! Please, please?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #76  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I started out slowly ... first I split all the sets that were just sentiments to see how I would like it. Have to say I LOVE IT ... wish now I'd done it when I first got into stamping! Now I have started breaking up more and more sets. Still not 100% as there are a few sets I just can't bring myself to split up yet. I find I use all my stamps more and not just a few and I also realized I had more stamps of certain things that I realized. Actually weeded out quite a few and passed on to one of my daughters friends who is starting to scrapbook.
Now I need to work on my indexing!!! (Sigh)
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 247 Likes on 187 Posts

I feel a lot better about breaking up my sets now- I have a lot of wood mounted SU stamp sets and have unmounted them- for they will be put in SU cases when they arrive shortly. I have an Excel spreadsheet index (good as you can sort the fields) and am so excited to get my stamps finally organized the way I want to use them- like you ladies suggested- if I need a birthday greeting, I go to that case or cases. Thanks everyone for all your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #78  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I started with sentiments -- pulled them all out of their sets and grouped like ones together -- so now all thank yous, birthdays, etc are together. That was the just the impetus I needed. After that, it was easy to do themes, like "valentines", and added all the hearts and anything else "lovey" to that group. I did the same with "wedding/baby". Then came the seasons -- fall, spring and summer and any holidays that fall into those seasons for which I had a smaller number of stamps. Christmas is a category all to itself.

I use acrylic box frames as trays and repurposed a paper tower to hold the stamps. I really like the frames because they are quite sturdy without being bulky and slide nicely in and out of the paper tower. The rubber kind of "catches" onto the acrylic and the stamps stay label side up. I used my Dymo labeler to put a label on the outside edge of the "tray" and just slide out the category that I need.

I haven't regretted separating the sets at all.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #79  

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonacornView Post
The idea of breaking up a set puts me in a cold sweat!
Me too! I often read about people breaking apart their sets, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it. I've thought about it, but I don't think it would end up saving me space.

Sometimes I wonder what SU was thinking with some of the sentiments though. Like a previous poster mentioned....live with passion, good works, and embrace life. Really? I wouldn't use those, but then again I like to keep my sets together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 667 Likes on 419 Posts

the only regret I have had is not knowing which set that endless pile of thank-you sentiments from su came from... so what I do now (and Ive broken sets for years and years) is new stamps I write the set name on the end of the block... and old stamps that i find I use alot I look up the set name to write it on the end of the block.

but this is only important if you upload to the gallery here... :mrgreen:
(it saves some gray hair on the gallery mods I think)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes