Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any other stampers with a bad back?

Hi! I guess I just need to whine. My back went out a couple of weeks ago and it is SLOW to heal. Any good suggestions on how to keep up with my stamping? I've got several Christmas projects in the works, and I don't want to fall behind. I can't sit for very long without a lot of pain, so I've been stamping at my kitchen counter some, but even then my back hurts after a while. Oh well, I guess I just have to be patient, but it is SO hard!
Thanks for listening--
Irene
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so totally with you! My back went out last week and is still very painful, so I totally sympathize. I was flat on my back in bed for 4 days when I needed to be getting ready for a holiday open house last saturday. Luckily I have a very good friend who helped me out Friday so I could make it. I have to make sure I limit myself to about 15 minutes stamping at a time, then go lay down on the heating pad. I hope you are feeling better very soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Not my back, but my right shoulder (My dominant side) has been bugging the living *&@#! out of me for a couple of months, to the point of me being in physical therapy for the last month and likely another month to go yet. It has been really, really hard to use my Sizzix or doing any stamping because the slightest movement hurts.

Hope both of you get better real soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been stamping (I have Christmas Card orders to fill) and my neck isso stiff on the right side...I think it's how I hold my head when I stamp (I know it sounds weird. I think I'm going to have to find an ergonomic stamping chair! Hope everyone starts feeling pain free soon!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I threw my back out two weeks ago from lifting my sewing machine. I was in so much pain for several days I had to go to the doctor and get muscle relaxers and pain meds. It is fine now, but for me to stamp, I need to sit. If I stand, my back and neck start hurting. So I would say, do whatever is the most comfortable for you and if you start to hurt, then do just the opposite.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I did something to my back in the spring and spent a good part of the summer recovering. I never had any trouble prior. Now I think I'm permanently injured. I didn't stamp much at all but not just because of that. I was on a 5# weight restriction for a LONG time. Now I try to stay within 30-40#. It seems if I do any one thing for an extended period, I'm sore, stiff, and often feel like part of my lower back is being crunched.

I bought myself an actual office chair with lombar support and a chair mat. It turns/rolls so I don't feel the need to twist my spine to reach things. I keep another chair across from me to put my feet up on occasion. I also keep a firm pillow nearby to place behind me when I need it as that helps my posture. Mostly, about every 15-20 mins I change positions.

I've been Christmas decorating the past few days, lots of bending, lifting, stooping. Again, too much repetitive movement. I'm paying the price the last few nights. Tonight I'm going to take a muscle relaxer.

Yes, you can stamp with a bad back. You just can't sit for hours at a time without moving around and you need proper support.

good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have bulging discs at L4 and L5. I try to be nice to them so they're nice to me. ;) I try to pay attention to how/where I'm sitting so I don't pay for it later. Do you have a heating pad you can use when you're relaxing? Soemtimes that helps, too, with chronic pain or pain that's over a week old. I take lots of ibuprofin, too. Hope you're feeling better soon!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile What works for me.......

Although I absolutely HATE doing it, the combo of putting on an ice pack for 10 minutes, then heat for 10 minutes, then ice again, and heat again really does shorten the recovery time. Do that a couple of times per day. Better to suffer the freeeeeeezing ice packs for one week than to suffer the pain and misery for three.
BTW... this was recommended by my Physical Therapist. I didn't really want to believe her at first. But it does help.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 08:14 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Irene, I herniated disks L3 and L4 2& 1/2 years ago. I did 8 weeks of physical therapy, never had surgery. I still do not lift anything very heavy, can vacuum bare floors but not carpet. I am walking 1 mile a day, do some very easy stretching back exercises and change possitions very often. I also use muscle relaxers when I over do it. My heating pad is my second best friend. A couple of weeks ago I had some severe back pain again. I tried using Therma Care for back packs. I burned the crap out of my back using these for just a few hours one of the days. I burned it so bad, and right along the waistline where my pants hit. It is still somewhat raw, scabbed over and very itchy. I can only saw to listen to your body. When your back is very sore, try lying down for a few minutes with pillows either under your hips or between your knees with only one kneed drawn up and the other knee very straight while lying on your side. If you are going to try the Therma Care packs, make sure they are not on bare skin, i.e. a long under shirt.Bad backs really suck don't they! I hope you are feeling much better SOON!
Coleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #10  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Yeah, chronic back pain here. I seem to have inherited it from my dad.

It's gone out periodically for the past 30 years. But a little over 5 years ago, it went out and didn't come back. :(

I've done physical therapy, been poked and prodded and had all sorts of exams. Nothing really helps. I take pain meds every day - not too much! - just enough to take the edge off.

And I stamp a lot.

I find personally that standing is what hurts me. I can't stand or walk for more than 10 -15 minutes without resting. You know how if people are standing around talking? I have to find a wall to lean on, if there's no chair. It has definitely impacted my life. But, I can sit.

Do what you can to help yourself. Ice, exercise - find some good back ones - and if you are overweight, try to lose some of it. (I need to do that - it's hard to lose weight when you can't walk much.)

And good luck. I do work in pain most of the time.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 11:45 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to STAMPINSTEL

I feel your pain , on a daily basis , I have asteoarthritis(sp)in my lower back and can not stand for more then 5 minutes without pain . I also have to be careful where I sit and for how long without back support . I also have 2 bad knees so I got a double whammy with the pain . Advil liquigels help some if you can't get pain meds , to take the edge off . The gal who said alternate heat and cold was right , that is usually what the docs say to do .
Hope you are feeling better soon !
LASTEL #3810
MY BLOG
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I gotta agree with StampinChrissylea, a "real" chair is so important. judging from some of the stamping spaces pictures posted in the gallery, a lot of stampers are using folding metal chairs or something similarly flimsy as their work chair. those things are murder on my back. I have some scoliosis so that even doing a sinkful of dirty dishes I have to take a break in between soaping and rinsing so sitting in one of those rickety folding deals would take all the joy out of the hours I spend designing and stamping. I may not notice it while I am working but as soon as I finish the card and move around, all the pain catches up with me. I finally had enough and bought myself an office chair with the proper back support (the ability to lean back and relax for a few minutes does wonders). highly recommended!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2005, 02:21 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

irene, i also suffer from chronic back pain . i was in a bad accident that screwed up my c6 and thorasic nerves... i feel for you and send hugs. take care of that back , watch your posture and don't over work yourself..i don't know exactly all the answers to help (otherwise i wouldn't be in chronic pain now would i? lol) but i hear ya!oh what the hey i'll say it!... relax and have a glass of wine and support that back!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/vdub_fan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2005, 04:17 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I read your first post and then quickly scanned everything else. I apologize ahead of time if I'm repeating something already posted.

See a chiropractor if you haven't yet. And then listen to what he/she says. If you're told not to stamp till you're better, then don't stamp. I've been struggling with migraines, neck and back pain for almost a year. There are somethings I just can't do. I can stamp, but I can't do a lot of detail work (coloring in images, etc.) at one time, and sometimes not at all. It has changed how I stamp.

As you can tell from my post and the others, you are not alone in your pain. I am praying for relief from the pain and quick recovery for you.

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2005, 04:56 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

i like those thermacare heat packs that stick to your back for 8 hours.
i use those when i am sitting for long periods, hunched over.
they do help temporarily..
then i crash with a muscle relaxer, cause after taking the heat pack off after 8 hours of relaxing your muscles, they kinda tighten up causing discomfort..

there isnt much you can do.. except the chair thing.
a good chair makes a huge difference.. especially if your pain is lower, get a good lumbar support.
my pain is both.. i have shoulder/neck pain (injury) and lower back pain(scoliosis).
it is terrible.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I've been stamping at my kitchen counter some, but even then my back hurts after a while.

Make sure when you are standing you wear good supportive shoes and stand on a mat. You will want to put your foot up on a small stool or you can also open the cabinet and put your foot on the sill. Having 1 knee bent will help you protect your back and keep it in a good position. Don't do anything or hold any position for too long or your muscles will get tired but you can try to increase your time a little each day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #17  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Just don't drink that wine if you're taking vicodin!!!! LOL

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Oh yes!!! I have arthritis in my back 5&6 are gone. Mine just went out 3 weeks ago and I am moveing pretty good now But must watch! I exercise my back but I don't see how it can help. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Likes