Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2005, 01:14 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question another question for a demo...

i'm going to be signing up as a demo (probably the first week of august). i have 17 current sets that i own (not including the current sentiment sets) that i can demo for the next year. there are a couple of sets in the summer mini that i have been thinking of using in my demo kit. the reason being that i will be using my stampin budget on signing up instead of buying sets i want as a customer. i am going to be mostly a hobby demo.

would i be silly of me to substitute for the summer mini sets? i will be ordering more current sets in october. i do understand that i would not be able to demo them after the holiday mini comes out and i know i'll have to wait and see if it makes it into the new catalog.

any opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by denier468; 07-06-2005 at 01:30 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a demo, but if I understand SU correctly, you can only demo stamps that are currently available. So -- if you love the summer mini and are mainly going to be a hobby demo anyway, i think you should buy what you love and will use. However, if you want to use these stamps to demo with, then don't because they may not be available again. does that make sense??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I'm not a demo, but if I understand SU correctly, you can only demo stamps that are currently available. So -- if you love the summer mini and are mainly going to be a hobby demo anyway, i think you should buy what you love and will use. However, if you want to use these stamps to demo with, then don't because they may not be available again. does that make sense??
makes complete sense!!!! i was just wondering if the sets that i do have that are current would be enough. i do intend for the first year to meet my quarterly quotta with just myself ordering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 01:28 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

If you do decide to have a workshop here and there than you won't be able to use the sets from the summer mini when it expires. When the 06-07 catty comes out some of the sets may be in there but you would have to wait and see before demoing them again. If you absolutly know for sure that you won't be doing any workshops than I would say go for it but if there is the remosted possiblity I would look at the main catty.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

You mentioned putting an order together in October - don't forget that you get 30% off your first show/party order, but it has to be placed within 45 days of when you sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I think ordering what you like is the best thing. I get my kit tomorrow, and I didn't get the usual stamps. I would go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by windycitystamper
You mentioned putting an order together in October - don't forget that you get 30% off your first show/party order, but it has to be placed within 45 days of when you sign up.
i'm planning on getting "supplies" with my 30% off order. probably no new stamp sets. between the cost of the demo kit and my first order i'll probably spend $500. that would be the reason my stampin budget wouldn't include new sets until oct.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

If you are signing up to be a hobby demo, definitely buy what you like. The only thing I would say is make your replacements with same priced sets. I have been a demo for just under a year and hadn't realized about mini sets making it (or not) into the big cattie. I really lucked out and the few I bought did make it. This morning I decided I had to have Sage Advice whether it makes it into next years cattie or not. I just love it, so I bought it. I will appreciate and use it whether or not I can demo it after August. HTH.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Looking at it from a business standpoint, there's no reason you can't do tons of workshops with your current sets. I did my first workshop with only the sets that came with my kit.

I like SU's model for the set samplers of using only an image stamp set, a background set, and a sentiment set. If you start pulling out 17 different sets at a workshop, not only will the guests be overwhelmed, but they might think they need to spend beaucoup bucks to be able to make cards.

So I'd say buy what you like with the demo kit. You'll be able to use your current sets all thru the year, and there should be enough diversity to keep your customers happy with what you're showing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Phunkymama makes an excellent point. Keep it simple, especially if the attendees are new to stamping. I remember being totally blown away by brayering on glossy paper!! That got me hooked and it is a no brainer now!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Phunkymama makes an excellent point. Keep it simple, especially if the attendees are new to stamping. I remember being totally blown away by brayering on glossy paper!! That got me hooked and it is a no brainer now!!
i wouldn't pull out all my current sets to demo. i'd pick a set or 2 and make a card or project. i've been a monthly stamp club member (for over a year) and love how my demo does her stamp night. it is fun to do a test run of stampin goods without having to buy it and figure it out. she got me hooked on glossy paper too! that stuff is the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure that you can substitute the starter kit stamps with a selection from the current mini catalog? I thought the whole idea of the stamp sets in the kit were so you would have current available supplies to demo. The current mini has a limited ordering life and would not benefit your business for very long. I may be totally off the wall though. I haven't tried to find out for sure and you may have done that already. If you have let us know. I have a potential recruit and she may want to know that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2005, 04:14 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by denier468
i wouldn't pull out all my current sets to demo. i'd pick a set or 2 and make a card or project. i've been a monthly stamp club member (for over a year) and love how my demo does her stamp night. it is fun to do a test run of stampin goods without having to buy it and figure it out. she got me hooked on glossy paper too! that stuff is the best!
OMGoodness, I didn't mean you'd pull them all out at once ;) But with all of those sets you'll have a good variety to rotate if you have repeat guests or hostesses. Sounds like you've gotten some good experience from your demo. I'm sure you'll do a great job!
Reply With Quote Likes