Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: On average, how much do you spend on Stamping/Scrapping annually?
$0 to $300 20 10.75%
$301 to $600 26 13.98%
$601 to $1,000 42 22.58%
$1,001 to $1,500 43 23.12%
More than $1,500! 55 29.57%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Annual Craft Spending

In another thread, a few Stampin' Up demonstrators said they'd be happy to be their only customers, even though the minimum quarterly sales required to continue is $300. That's $1,200 a year, just on Stampin Up.

Color me naive, but I was SHOCKED that people spend $1,200 a year on stamping/scrapbooking supplies, much less that much on one company.

That got me thinking. I wonder how many others spend that much or more on this hobby. I just posted a poll that is completely anonymous. The poll is just SUPPLIES, not an annual retreat or monthly classes, just SUPPLIES.

You are welcome to post a note if you'd like but you don't need to out yourself if you'd rather not admit to being a rich spend-thrift or a poor cheapskate (like me).

Last edited by melissa59; 05-14-2012 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: clarify poll
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Just a thought here... My spending these days is around $300 a year, but I already have the "big ticket" items (Big Shot, etc.) and a core of tools and supplies. My spending was much more when I was still acquiring "necessities". Now I only buy stamps that I LOVE LOVE LOVE, and then only if they're COMPLETELY different from anything I already have. I'm much pickier about paper and embellishments, too. I think it's much easier to spend less if you're familiar with your own personal "style" - or at least your preferences - and if you already have a decent supply of "basics"...

That being said, if you have the money and this hobby/craft/art is something you're passionate about and that brings you joy, why not indulge? Posters on another thread repeated over and over again that EVERY hobby (gardening, golfing, motorcycles - whatever) has costs involved! The joy is the justification...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hope no one thinks ill of those of us who are lucky enough to have a larger budget. I hate when people make you feel bad for spending money....money that I work really hard for and feel like I can spend it any way I wish once all my bills are paid and other responsibilities met....

You all know I'm a hobby demo and mainly meet my own minimums....

My mom makes me feel bad for spending money....she's cheap...so I clearly have issues with this topic...but stamping is cheaper than therapy:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #4  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

For me, it's varied according to my personal circumstances - I never spend more than I can afford. So there were some years when it was definitely in the first bracket - and very much at the lower end of that. With a bit more disposable income currently, I'm happy to spend more while I can, and I ticked a higher bracket. But then, most of my purchases are mail order, so international carriage is included in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Like Sue I have the "big ticket" items (Big Shot, air compressor for my Copics etc) so my spending now is on things like stamps, inks and dies. When I buy things like Copics, I buy three or four at a time to add to the collection. It's much easier to even that out and keep it at a level that fits my current income since I can have a target for spending each month that feels reasonable but still lets me have something new to play with on a regular basis.

I also tend to put crafty supplies on my wish list for occasions like birthday and Christmas and I'm lucky enough that people often tick those items off my wishlist for me so my own spending is not my only route to having more toys! My dad in particular is awesome about being interested in the tools and tricks so if I put something like the latest Crop-a-Dile on my list (the smaller radius one) he's very likely to want to buy it for me - bless him! I'm also extremely luck in that my DH supports my hobby and even encourages me if I'm dithering about a purchase sometimes.

Minders, you and others who make minimums with SU! as hobby demos have absolutely no need to feel bad about it in any way! Any hobby costs money and many of them have "hidden" costs too (how many people who think about the cost of golf think only of the equipment and green fees, for example? Show me a golfer who doesn't also spend money on a round of drinks for their golfing buddies each time they play etc). You earn your money, you have every right to enjoy the time you're not working and if stamping is the way you choose to do that then more strength to your elbow!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine changes continuously. Some years it's way above the high end, and other times it's on the low end. Years when I've purchased the big ticket items like when I got a Cricut and cartridges, the total was obviously on the high end. Last year I really expanded my crafting into mixed media, so it was on the high end again getting basic supplies for that, although I still use my stamps, etc. for the mixed media. This year the total is looking to be on the low end again since I have more than enough to create what I want regardless of what category I'm working with (straight stamping, mixed media). When I was a demonstrator, it was always way on the high end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I just hope no one thinks ill of those of us who are lucky enough to have a larger budget. I hate when people make you feel bad for spending money....money that I work really hard for and feel like I can spend it any way I wish once all my bills are paid and other responsibilities met....
Oh no! This post was never to make anyone feel bad about anyone else. Hence the ANONYMOUS poll!

Minders, like you I was raised to think about every nickel I spend. My parents never had hobbies. Dad worked, mom cleaned & cooked; Free time was television or reading. I feel a wave of guilt every time I buy something my parents might think of as "frivolous" ... and I'm in my 50s!

I suppose part of my curiosity about how much others spend is me trying to alleviate my own spending guilt and trying to get a handle on how much is "average". There are days when I tell myself that I don't need anything else, not one blasted thing. (Cheapskate Me) Then there are days when I dig through my supplies wishing I had something fresh, new interesting. (Bored Easily Me)

The funny thing is that I got into scrapbooking because I thought it would be a cheap hobby. After all, it's just glue, scissors and SCRAPS of paper, right? WRONG! To make matters worse, I thought card making would be a cheap crafting spin-off. After all, all I need is my current scrapbook supplies, right? WRONG, again!

If my finances were better, I'd certainly move up a notch in my spending. Though I don't think I'd spend as much as others, because I don't stamp or scrap as much as others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #8  
kvb
Rubber Obsessor

I consider craft shopping my therapy and I need a lot of it. Like others I go in spurts but never spend more than I have available. I don't typically spend a lot now a days at the local craft stores as most do not carry what I am currently buying. Most of my shopping is thru a Stampin Up group I'm in and online shopping. And some years at the annual CKC convention I go to each year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My spending has tapered off to around $900 per year, but that is 'cause I also already have the big ticket items - Cuttlebug, Big Shot, tons of stamps, ink pads, and such. I have been stamping since around the late '90's. For now I guess I am just buying more paper and more Copic refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Meh. I spend a lot. I mean A LOT a lot. My bills are paid, my savings is flush, my kids have college funds, and I enjoy it.

Some people create a lot with little spending. Some people create a little with a lot of spending. I happen to fall into the latter category. :lol:

But my kids and girl scouts do have VERY snazzy projects and posters.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Like Minders I hate it when people want to get into your space about spending money. Yes I do spend lots on crafts but you know what? I don't go to movies, I don't eat out a lot and spend money on a lot of useless items. Stamping is my therapy and I don't feel it is anyone else's business what I spend. Great topic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #12  

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Oh no! This post was never to make anyone feel bad about anyone else. Hence the ANONYMOUS poll!

Minders, like you I was raised to think about every nickel I spend. My parents never had hobbies. Dad worked, mom cleaned & cooked; Free time was television or reading. I feel a wave of guilt every time I buy something my parents might think of as "frivolous" ... and I'm in my 50s!

I suppose part of my curiosity about how much others spend is me trying to alleviate my own spending guilt and trying to get a handle on how much is "average". There are days when I tell myself that I don't need anything else, not one blasted thing. (Cheapskate Me) Then there are days when I dig through my supplies wishing I had something fresh, new interesting. (Bored Easily Me)

The funny thing is that I got into scrapbooking because I thought it would be a cheap hobby. After all, it's just glue, scissors and SCRAPS of paper, right? WRONG! To make matters worse, I thought card making would be a cheap crafting spin-off. After all, all I need is my current scrapbook supplies, right? WRONG, again!

If my finances were better, I'd certainly move up a notch in my spending. Though I don't think I'd spend as much as others, because I don't stamp or scrap as much as others.
Oops, I didn't mean to make you feel bad about your poll:-) I think it's a neat poll actually....I've seen threads like this from time to time and was just commenting in general about not making anyone feel bad about spending habits:-)

I do often question my spending BUT I figure that I stamp a lot so it's worth it...and besides save it, what else would I do with it...and our savings are pretty good. I WISH my mom would spend some of her money instead of just saving it...she can't take it with her!!! She comments a lot about how she saves so I can have her money when she's gone....and I tell her I don't want it...have fun with it:-) She will finally buy something and then "save" it for whatever reason. She has like shoes she bought in the 90's that she hasn't worn because she doesn't want to "waste them" until her other shoes are totally worn out, lol! I'd say I use about 90% of my purchases (not just stamping) very soon after I buy them!

And she really does have issues....it's like she is COMPELLED to ask you "how much was that" when you (meaning I) show her something new! I really don't think she means it in a bad way and it's mostly a habit now but it makes me feel terrible when she asks. I used to hide new stuff in my car and sneak it in the house just so she wouldn't ask me. How sad is that???? LOL! So, you can see why I would have some issues, lol!

Her and I are very different when it comes to shopping and hobbies! I wish she was more into those things simply to do them together but we have fun anyway. I did teach her how to stamp this year and she had fun! I don't think she'd ever do it on her own but I think she finally kid of "got" why I do it and enjoy it! She's always loved getting my cards but now she understands it more!

So, again....didn't mean to make you feel bad about your thread...it's just a touchy subject for me...thanks mom, lol!!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the lower range to mid-range right now. But just as a couple others have said, that's because I've already invested in the big ticket items and only buy now to replenish my stock or the occasional new item if it really calls my name loud. If you had asked a couple years ago when I irst started stamping and was going nuts and had to have everything I saw in every colour, then I'd have to make a new category that was way over your top end. I don't feel like my spending is out there and neither to I ever feel like I have to justify what I spend. I work hard for the money and my husband and I decide what's important and what needs to be taken care of first. Then what's left over is ours to do as we please. I've been very fortunate that I don't really have to worry about what I spend, but I do like to keep some control over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

I could tell you to the penny what I spend on crafting each year, every purchase on line or in stores is recorded. Yes, the total is high, it's what my "extra" money each month is for and I try to spend wisely. I meet my SU! minimums with my own money most quarters but that is my choice for right now.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
Meh. I spend a lot. I mean A LOT a lot. My bills are paid, my savings is flush, my kids have college funds, and I enjoy it.

Some people create a lot with little spending. Some people create a little with a lot of spending. I happen to fall into the latter category. :lol:

But my kids and girl scouts do have VERY snazzy projects and posters.
I can identify with the creating a little with a lot of spending.

I tend to make really nice Holiday stuff for my office too!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Denise (ceramicat1) - I love your signature line! I had to read it twice to "get" it, lol! So true, so true...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Denise (ceramicat1) - I love your signature line! I had to read it twice to "get" it, lol! So true, so true...
Thanks! One of my favorite authors of all time.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

ummmmm...way over $1500.00...lol
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I added in my other craft supplies too, not just scrapbooking. Fabric, yarn, more totes to hold them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple years ago I had to give myself a craft "budget" of $25 a month. It doesn't bother me anymore, but used to back then. I've found more ways to make do with what I have. Plus with the economy the way it is, I can't justify spending too much on craft supplies a month.

I wonder what everyone's scraprooms look like that spend $100 or more a month on supplies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

P8150406.jpg

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I spend a lot less on stamping than I do on cycling. ;)

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
A couple years ago I had to give myself a craft "budget" of $25 a month. It doesn't bother me anymore, but used to back then. I've found more ways to make do with what I have. Plus with the economy the way it is, I can't justify spending too much on craft supplies a month.

I wonder what everyone's scraprooms look like that spend $100 or more a month on supplies?
Scraproom? What's that?! Like I stated previously, my spending is up and down. Even when there were several high years, my stamping is done on my dining room table and has to be moved come dinner time. I have stuff everywhere in my house because I don't have a scraproom (which I desperately want!). It's a pain when I do create because I have to go here, there, and everywhere to get my supplies. I've seen some amazing rooms from people who don't spend a lot, but wouldn't it be nice to have unlimited income to have all the fun toys AND an amazing room to create in. Ahhhhh, those of us without a room or huge budget can only dream, right?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooooo love your room! If I had everything nice and matchy and orderly like that, I would 'have' to fill it too!

I tend to spend on the lower end of things. Most years I have a couple of $100 orders for my demo, and then the odd small fill ins along the way. I also have all I want in the way of bigger tools and I'm not into Copics at all. I can see where keeping up with those is costly. There are a lot of shades.

I usually buy 3 or 4 stamp sets and some cardstock through out the course of a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Deb your room is beautiful. Mine is pretty full but it doesn't stop me from doing my share to keep the economy going....lol.
There are pictures in my gallery.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been in Deb's room a couple of time. It is beautiful, but not as beautiful as Deb's personality and generosity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I pay the bills, I put money in savings and CD's... I give myself an allowance and how I spend it is scrappy!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #28  

Normally my room is nice and neat.....even though I have a LOT of stuff but it's kind of a disaster right now from 1) working on my Artisan Award contest entries (a demo contest that I decided kind of at the last minute to enter....) and 2) I'm still not done moving from my old room into my new one. Need to get more stuff put away and organized....but always end up stamping instead:-) But it is possible to stay neat with a bigger budget....and I need to save some $$$ to go to IKEA again!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm new to stamping so I have been very spendy! Oooh shiny new things! I realized I would be "investing" so I quickly signed up as an SU "discount" demo (no real clients and no desire to) and I haven't ahd any trouble spending my minimums for the past 2 quarters. I'm trying to think twice about what I buy now that I have most of the basics, and lots of SU CS and ink pads. The comment about knowing your own style rings true to me - not sure I've figured it out yet.

Somewhere on the boards a while ago, I read a comment by someone who said they had been doing "more shopping than stamping". I think this is a hobby where that can be very easy to do. And as long as you aren't spending the baby's milk money, if it brings you joy 1st to shop, and again when you stamp - go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjorView Post
I'm new to stamping so I have been very spendy! Oooh shiny new things! I realized I would be "investing" so I quickly signed up as an SU "discount" demo (no real clients and no desire to) and I haven't ahd any trouble spending my minimums for the past 2 quarters. I'm trying to think twice about what I buy now that I have most of the basics, and lots of SU CS and ink pads. The comment about knowing your own style rings true to me - not sure I've figured it out yet.

Somewhere on the boards a while ago, I read a comment by someone who said they had been doing "more shopping than stamping". I think this is a hobby where that can be very easy to do. And as long as you aren't spending the baby's milk money, if it brings you joy 1st to shop, and again when you stamp - go for it!
I love that!:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Hrm...I'm in the $300-$500 range, but honestly that's probably a bit high for me. I'm probably closer to the lower end. We don't have tons of extra cash, so I tend to be very thrifty with what I get for supplies - lots of coupons are put to good use, and I constantly check garage sales and craigslist for things on my wish list. ^-^
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post

OMG!!!!!! I am soooooo in love!!! I want one!!! **swoon**!!!!! When I grow up I want my craft room to look like this!!

jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I spend a lot less on stamping than I do on cycling. ;)
You would think "buy a bike, buy an intertube, buy a pump, and you're ready to go." But no ... My ex-hubby was seriously into mountain biking. Everything is precision made and costly. For the amount his bicycle cost, it should have come with an engine, windshield and wipers! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I have to keep track of my spending for business reasons and I was shocked when I checked how much I spent. I would have said less than $300/year but this year, with a serious downturn in our profits and me looking 3 times at every cent, I've still managed nearly $600. I don't think I want to look back at the years when I could buy whatever I wanted. :oops:

On the other hand, I've actually done more crafting this year (less bookwork to do, so more time on my hands).

This thread certainly got me thinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

I have had a "craft budget" for around 10 years. My current budget is $1200. Husband keeps track of every dollar spent that is in any way connected with any type of crafts. That includes: photo prints ordered; storage containers or furniture utilized in my craft room; and every glue stick, tape runner, piece of cardstock, etc. Even office supplies are tallied. Class fees and publications are also charged against the budget. As a result, that $1,200 is always spent by the end of the year. I am retired and have plenty of time to scrapbook. I only entered the world of staming about a year ago. I now spend over half of my leisure time making greeting cards. Crafting is my therapy. My scrapbook room is my happy place. As far as I am concerned, this is money well spent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #36  

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm blessed to be able to spend a large sum on all my crafty supplies each year. My DH works very hard to earn the money I spend but he knows it's cheaper than psych therapy ;) and I do probably knock a good amount off of what I spend by having a boutique during the holidays. In addition to stamping, I also design beaded jewelry and I sew. DH and I together are motorcycle enthusiasts and this year we just spent $1000 on new gear (mostly for me-in the 20+ years we've been riding I've never had brand new gear) New helmets for each of us, new gloves, leather jacket and vest for me.
Back to the crafting aspect....Between my paper-crafting, beading and sewing I probably spend over 3K a year.
Then there is gardening, reading, camping.....

The most important thing though is that we don't go into debt to do all this stuff (DH is also a fisherman) and we pay into our retirement accounts and all the bills and fill our kids needs before we spend on us.

I think part of me spends so much on crafty things now because there was a time (many, many years) that we didn't have two dimes to rub together.

the other day we were going through boxes that had been in our garage and I found an old pay stub from the 90's. DH's monthly net income was less than what we pay for rent now! It's amazing how far we have come.

Anyhow, sorry for the novel!

shellie :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Just north of the 49th in a little corner of Heaven!

Great thread! In all honesty I am probably in the higher than $1500, but don't have figures close at hand so I'll guess. Like many, crafting is my therapy, I don't buy myself a lot of clothes, go out for fancy dinners, etc. I also work full time and am the main bread winner in my family, so I feel that after raising two kids, working full time most of that time and coming out the other end with little in the way of debt and some assets behind me, that it's my turn to indulge in myself after MANY years of sacrifice for my family. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it's my turn now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

It really depends on how I'm doing that year and how much I have. This year it has been a little higher than most years because I've been doing better. I've been mainly accumulating stamps and paper, oh and necessities like adhesives and ink when it runs out. Since I have the cricut, carts, cuttlebug, punches and all that I don't have any big ticket items I have bought this year.

But I'm pretty good at destashing when I want something new that's a bit pricey. Once I make money off of that I use it to buy whatever pricier item I wanted.
Also, The way I think of it is I don't have really any other luxury spendings that isn't crafting. I don't buy many new clothes (and if I do it has to be on sale), don't go to the movies, don't like handbags or manicures or anything like that. I love to read but I usually read free ebooks. So yeah, crafting relaxes me and it is cheaper than therapy and imho it's better than therapy too;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

:Gee, I'm feeling sooo guilty right now! Not from anyone saying anything, just because I realized my craft budget is pretty high and I've always thought it was rather low!! I'm sick with the thought that I spend on this craft but I don't make a dime off of it. I love to create but lately I've been on a spend, spend, spend cycle!!! Had a garage sale in March and sold a lot of my older paper, stamps that weren't getting any love as well as other scrappy things but I can say I still have more than I will ever use, I'm sure!
Feeling sick right now...:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
I'm sick with the thought that I spend on this craft but I don't make a dime off of it. I love to create but lately I've been on a spend, spend, spend cycle!!!
Did you enjoy your craft time? Did you give any of your cards to charity, to friends, to family? Did you create scrapbook pages that will be passed down to future generations? If so, then it is likely that your money was well spent.

I don't believe we need to make money off our hobbies. In fact, I am against it. I once had a hobby that became my job. When that happens it becomes WORK and ceases to be fun.

This year, I put myself on a $25 monthly budget. Anything I don't spend is carried over to the next month. I did so well the first quarter that I gave myself a little $35 bonus this month. Then ... this month I spent everything left over from the previous months, plus my May budget, plus my bonus, plus an additional $25.:shock:

I'm kind of kicking myself over the $25, especially since I was planning to give myself a big birthday bonus next month. Now, I'm not sure what I'll do for June.
Reply With Quote Likes