Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #41  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used pins a few times. I stuck the ends between paper layers so they aren't exposed. They aren't a go to embellishment for me, but I do like how they look on cards when others use them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A stick pin is just another decorative means of attaching something. No one's either too practical or not practical for using it. It's a matter of taste, not danger. I put liquid pearls or beads on the ends so the points are never exposed (someone else on that thread brilliantly suggested clear earring guards). I recently mailed my sister in California, I'm in Chicago, a valentine with a stick pin on it in a regular letter envelope. I put a tiny piece of bubble wrap in front of the pin (I also have used tissue, or a small piece of paper towel), marked "hand cancel" on the envelope and added a little extra postage. She received the card in two days in perfect condition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #43  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I caved this week and used some pins on a couple of cards :oops: It really wasn't my fault. I was drawn in by the pretty pearl colors that went so well with the dullness of the packing paper.

I snipped the ends off with wire cutters but maybe I'll send the cards to my sisters just in case. I'm sure they've done something to me growing up worthy of a pin prick.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I too practical?-thanks-so-much.jpg   Am I too practical?-sew-happy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyceLView Post
right. Things are just getting crazy. Pple don't know what new things to come up with and they start taking components off of clothings and fashion accessories.
So are we not allowed to use fabric, buttons or thread since they can all be found in clothing?

I don't use them, but I don't see anything wrong with using them.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Many of the cards I make are vintage or shabby chic--and I use pins of various sorts, including stick pins. I have mailed dozens and they have not "drawn blood" once! I always put an earring back on the ends (when I use them, I usually use two or three, depending on size and the design of the card.) One FANTASIC thing about creating art is that NOTHING IS WRONG! Card-making, scrapbooking, paper crafts, art of any sort--whatever melts your butter WORKS! I say, to each his own creation. To stick pin or to not stick pin, that is your question. Let freedom ring. Okay, ya'll get my idea! Oh, and also--Save the Planet--recylce!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyceLView Post
True. Has anyone tried making and give it away? What is the response?

Oh yes, I haven't answered the question. I don't mind using pins so long as it is not to be mailed. In a work of art that is meant for display you can use anything that is not gross or bad taste.
I love the look of stick pins and don't think they are any less appropriate on a card than buttons, eyelets, charms or brads that have their origins on shirts, belts jewelry or in the office. I always cut off the sharp end and, depending on the design, secure it behind something, or attach a stick pin end (stick pins themselves were not just for hats, but often worn on the lapel and came with a safety end - I'm old enough to have some worn by my mother, sisters and me), bead or earring back. The recipients of the cards (and I do send them through the mail which is similar to mailing the above mentioned embellishments) have oohed and ahhed over them. I think it must fit the card just like any embellishment--I wouldn't put a button on every card either. If it is not you thing, however, there is no need to do it--or anything you don't want to do. That's the beauty of art! You can be as practical or impractical as you would like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #47  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How funny to stumble on this thread today! I just uploaded a card using a stick pin and STUCK my thumb. Unbeknownst to me, I bleed all over my card! Instead of throwing the card away, I posted it in my gallery as a cautionary tale!! lol!

sc322 Life is Beautiful... by sf9erfan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

P.S. I won't be sending this to anyone. That would be just gross! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post
How funny to stumble on this thread today! I just uploaded a card using a stick pin and STUCK my thumb. Unbeknownst to me, I bleed all over my card! Instead of throwing the card away, I posted it in my gallery as a cautionary tale!! lol!

sc322 Life is Beautiful... by sf9erfan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

LOL... thanks for the warning. This is why I won't use stick pins on cards, I'm certain I couldn't do it without jabbing myself! They look lovely though... when someone else does them. :oops: That must make me overly cautious instead of practical!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #49  
Glitter Guru

=jactop;18025513]I caved this week and used some pins on a couple of cards :oops: It really wasn't my fault. I was drawn in by the pretty pearl colors that went so well with the dullness of the packing paper.

I snipped the ends off with wire cutters but maybe I'll send the cards to my sisters just in case.
Quote:

I'm sure they've done something to me growing up worthy of a pin prick.
Tooooo funny!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #50  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jactopView Post
I caved this week and used some pins on a couple of cards :oops: It really wasn't my fault. I was drawn in by the pretty pearl colors that went so well with the dullness of the packing paper.

I snipped the ends off with wire cutters but maybe I'll send the cards to my sisters just in case. I'm sure they've done something to me growing up worthy of a pin prick.
LOL! You don't have to apologize for using pins on cards!!!!! The cards are lovely, and I didn't mean people shouldn't use them...just that I am having a hard time with the idea. It's a hobby, and people should do whatever the spirit moves them to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default funny yes, but she makes a good point!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer StylesView Post
I am totally cracking up here. I have had exactly the same thought...specially "can I be sued?"

That being said, I love them. I've tried to find a certain kind of "cap" to no avail, but am thrilled to learn about the bugle bead thing.

Oh look, I didn't answer your question.

I will now. You can never be too practical

I guess I have some stick pins but have never done anything with them even though they are really pretty! But I have to agree that if there is a way to hurt yourself then someone will find it. I once gave a friend a b-day gift "wrapped" in a decorated can (the can with the pull tab on it, open it from the bottom and glue the bottom back on then the recipient opens it with the pull tab). My friend opened while I was there and I specifically said, "Be Careful...it's sharp inside and you could cut yourself" and she proceeded to stick her whole hand inside and yep, you guessed it...she cut herself on the inside of the can! Her response was, "what can I say, I'm blonde?" and start laughing so at least she wasn't mad but I still couldn't believe that she did that.

And zippers? Until I saw this thread I had never even heard of a zipper on a card but that link to a card with a zipper flower was amazing...I have to say that I liked it but I sincerely doubt that I will ever start using them on cards. and Jackie Topa, you never cease to amaze me....CUTE card with the Sewing set and the pin! Jan

Last edited by inkerzaway; 03-04-2011 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well my bad because I make them and send them. The idea of being sued sounds absurd but still possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd never seen a zipper flower. I'm doing good to tie ribbon. I think the zipper flower would be beyond me. I love the look of the stick pins but haven't ever mailed one, just ones to hand to someone special.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't personally use pins on cards. My family would be mortally insulted if I ever had anything sharp on a card. My grandmother was fierce about this. She gave her fiancee a pin to wear to remember her by before he went to war and he never made it back. Eighty-five years later, NO ONE in my family will give anyone anything with sharp edges. We are very superstitious this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #55  
Embossing Fanatic

Red face to pin or not to pin

Hooray, Rebecca. Great post. I'm so glad you addressed several ways to utilize the option in a safe manner. I mail cards with bulky embellishments if it is to a fellow card maker - I know they will appreciate the art. I protect my cards by adding a scrap piece of bubble wrap that comes in received packages. I cut a square small enough to cover my embellishment or I add a scrap piece of cardstock. Besides. this is my creative outlet - and to be perfectly frank - I don't do this to make anybody else happy except me. If they like it and appreciate it - the more better as my grandson says; if not throw the card away I'll never know. It is the thought that counts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #56  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Excellent point, Joan.

It seems I'm unable to get away from puns relating to stick pins. :rolleyes:
You're just sharp like that! ;)

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #57  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post

"Unbeknownst"?! You must have really been in your crafting zone not to notice the blood. ;)

I love the irony of the sentiment "Life is beautiful" with a tiny blood stain to the left. LOL

I can picture the inside sentiment: "I gave up some of mine to make you this card!"

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeresaLynnView Post
Hooray, Rebecca. Great post. I'm so glad you addressed several ways to utilize the option in a safe manner. I mail cards with bulky embellishments if it is to a fellow card maker - I know they will appreciate the art. I protect my cards by adding a scrap piece of bubble wrap that comes in received packages. I cut a square small enough to cover my embellishment or I add a scrap piece of cardstock. Besides. this is my creative outlet - and to be perfectly frank - I don't do this to make anybody else happy except me. If they like it and appreciate it - the more better as my grandson says; if not throw the card away I'll never know. It is the thought that counts.
My feelings exactly! We think alike.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #59  
Cardstock Collector

I love the look of cards with pins and I bought some white pearl ended ones so I could colour the ends with the promarkers to match the project I've not used them yet and after reading the thread will be even more careful than I planned to be with the placement of them.
I don't think you can be too practical but crafting isn't always about being practical is it?
How practical can spending large amount of money be it �, $ or any other currency on card, paper, ink and some rubber when you could use for something really practical like the mortage?
Hope you all realise I'm teasing about the last comment I couldn't do without my crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #60  
Glitter Guru

Received 864 Likes on 515 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
The few times I've used pins on cards, I was sticking them behind something (like a sentiment), so I mounted the sentiment with pop dots, and stuck the pins into the foam. Held the pins in place AND kept the points from sticking out.
That's a great idea!!! I also like the one about cutting off the points with clippers. Hadn't thought of it until I saw it mentioned, but I have some of the eye pin jewelry findings. Would be cool to attach an embellishement and attach to a card; plus no sharp points.
I cannot use pins on my cards due to my furbabies, and a lot of my friends have pets also. Two of my cats love trying to pull out pins and trying to chew on them. I have to guard my pincushions when I sew, as they will try to steal the pins out of them.
That being said, I think some of the cards using them are pretty. The zipper flowers are neat. I probably wouldn't use them personally on a card, but I think they are pretty. Some of the vintage looking cards are gorgeous with the hat pins attached. I do like the suggestion about sticking them into the foam! Great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

I've been noticing them alot lately. No desire to make them although they do look nice.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

My thoughts exactly!
Reply With Quote Likes