Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Am I sick in the head?

I find myself flipping through the pages of the catalog all the time. Gazing at the stamps, ink, paper, embellishments, etc. I can't get enough. I make up wish lists over and over again and I ponder what if I could spend this or that and figure out what I want. It's crazy, but I just wanted to know if I am losing it and going mad. Or is this normal for others out there too?

Please make me feel sane...

Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

If you're crazy so am I!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by valrocks
I find myself flipping through the pages of the catalog all the time. Gazing at the stamps, ink, paper, embellishments, etc. I can't get enough. I make up wish lists over and over again and I ponder what if I could spend this or that and figure out what I want. It's crazy, but I just wanted to know if I am losing it and going mad. Or is this normal for others out there too?

Val
OMG! That is so me, I spend more time writing lists than I do stamping. Every time someone mentions a stamp set on the forums I look it up in the book. My book is falling apart and dog-eared.
I spend hours deciding between two different stamp sets, not to order, just to put on my wish list.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, I guess I am crazy, too! I just was looking through the catalog and marking pages this afternoon! I have so many wish lists I can't keep track anymore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

My friend and I talk about this all the time. We read the catty like a mag. Her husband says he has never seen anything like it. We just laugh and say that he should be glad, we could be addicted to crack or something really expensive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I've recently started dating my wishlists so I know which one is the most up-to-date. It's also interesting to know how my most recent compare to say the one from last July. I'm almost embarrassed to let people see my own copy of the catalogue - the stickies are taking over and the poor think has nearly come loose from its spine!!!

I've told DH it's not just me who carries it downstairs every afternoon when I get home from work and then takes it back upstairs every night at bedtime, but I'm not sure he believes me. I DID tell him I would save both him and DD first if the house caught on fire, but, hey, if it's within reach on my bedside table, it wouldn't slow me down any (besides all the sets I own are marked in it to help the insurance company out...LOL)

Les
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think we all make wish list over and over again! I mean come on its a big catty and if your like me you see something new in there all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I do the exact same thing!!!! I have different wish lists - like my ultimate wish list (if I won the lottery!), etc!!!!

I don't think you are crazy at all...I think there would be a whole bunch of us right there with you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you know what makes me even sadder? I have actually gone through the gallery and marked in pencil next to the set in the catty how many examples of that set are on the gallery. I change the numbers about once a month. God, I really do need help.

Last edited by Ally; 01-23-2006 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have wish list on top of wish list on top of wish list. If you're sick in the head, I am too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #11  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 399 Likes on 241 Posts

Add me to the list. The previous catalog is practically worn thin! I am constantly looking at various things. We just love SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I quit the wish list thing a while ago. I now have a NOTEBOOK that I write everything down in that I want. I cross off stuff as I get it and put stars beside the stuff that I have to get NOW. I have so much stuff that this works best for me in keeping track of what I already have!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljwil
I've recently started dating my wishlists so I know which one is the most up-to-date. It's also interesting to know how my most recent compare to say the one from last July. I'm almost embarrassed to let people see my own copy of the catalogue - the stickies are taking over and the poor think has nearly come loose from its spine!!!

I've told DH it's not just me who carries it downstairs every afternoon when I get home from work and then takes it back upstairs every night at bedtime, but I'm not sure he believes me. I DID tell him I would save both him and DD first if the house caught on fire, but, hey, if it's within reach on my bedside table, it wouldn't slow me down any (besides all the sets I own are marked in it to help the insurance company out...LOL)

Les

LOL! I started dating mine too.
THis is too funny. I thought I was the only sick one out there. Hohum Guess NOT!
A girl stopped by today to look at my catty and it was embarrassing because she opened it up and dozens of papers flew out of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I am agreeing with everything that has been shared so far. I am shaking my head with a grin from ear to ear! I am so glad I am not alone. My DH says that my catalog is the "other man." I have a corner of the basement for my stamping stuff and I will tell him I have to make cards and flip through the catalogs, old & new! If he hollers at me to come upstairs, I tell him to wait a second because I am busy. He laughs and says oh, is it the other man? If I take too long, he will come down and ask me to show him what cards I made...um, nothing I was looking at the catalog. He just shakes his head and laughs as he goes back upstairs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm the same way with our catty... i spend more time looking at my catty than I know I should... so perhaps we are all crazy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljwil

Les
I don't know if any SU'ers do this... but I take one of my cattys and separate each page. Then I put each one in it's own page protector (the cheapy ones from dollar stores) and then put them in binders. That way you don't have to worry about your personal book falling apart! It's just a thought ...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:45 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts
Red face Wish list

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyR
I quit the wish list thing a while ago. I now have a NOTEBOOK that I write everything down in that I want. I cross off stuff as I get it and put stars beside the stuff that I have to get NOW. I have so much stuff that this works best for me in keeping track of what I already have!!

This is pretty much my plan of attack. I have a spiral notebook, but am adding papers to it. When the latest catalog came out, I started a page called "Gotta Have It". It is more than one page long. As I buy things, I highlight them so I don't accidentally buy them again. I also highlight the items in my catalog. I like to wind down at night by going through the catalog to see if there is anything else I might have missed (like I don't have it memorized). Of course, the current mini is right there with it.
I have recently been invited to several workshops at different friends, with different demos. I wrote a list of what to buy at each one. Then, when I wanted things from the mini, I had "revised list to order at Sue's".
I think I'm ready for a new mini to come out. I've looked through it too many times. It may be time to actually stamp something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
This is pretty much my plan of attack. I have a spiral notebook, but am adding papers to it. When the latest catalog came out, I started a page called "Gotta Have It". It is more than one page long. As I buy things, I highlight them so I don't accidentally buy them again. I also highlight the items in my catalog. I like to wind down at night by going through the catalog to see if there is anything else I might have missed (like I don't have it memorized). Of course, the current mini is right there with it.
I have recently been invited to several workshops at different friends, with different demos. I wrote a list of what to buy at each one. Then, when I wanted things from the mini, I had "revised list to order at Sue's".
I think I'm ready for a new mini to come out. I've looked through it too many times. It may be time to actually stamp something.
Just got to thinking about this too... if you did a binder like I mentioned above, you could add in loose leaf paper to write down wishlists, wants, needs, etc.. and also have a list of the current ones you own. Just another possibility!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftytinkerbell
I don't know if any SU'ers do this... but I take one of my cattys and separate each page. Then I put each one in it's own page protector (the cheapy ones from dollar stores) and then put them in binders. That way you don't have to worry about your personal book falling apart! It's just a thought ...
What a great idea!!!!
My demo (who is great!) started taking her catty's to Staples and got them to put the coils in it. I think it only cost 2 or 3bucks. It makes it sooo much better to flip through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Just got to thinking about this too... if you did a binder like I mentioned above, you could add in loose leaf paper to write down wishlists, wants, needs, etc.. and also have a list of the current ones you own. Just another possibility!
Yes, I also have a handwritten list of sets I own. (Of course, I have one on my computer as well, but as soon as I buy it, I handwrite it. Then I update on the computer when it is convenient.
I recently added a list of embossing powders, as I have bought so many at the local stores, I can't remember any more which ones I have. Now I can just grab the list if I have the urge to spend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Just thought I'd ask before I start ripping my catalogue apart :shock:
how do you get the pages apart? Do they just come out nice and easy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadelinesMom03
Just thought I'd ask before I start ripping my catalogue apart :shock:
how do you get the pages apart? Do they just come out nice and easy?

Well, I don't have an SU! catty in front of me, but I think it is bound similarily to the CTMH ones... if so, I usually rip very carefully and sometimes have used my x-acto knife to get a nice clean line. I haven't had a problem *YET* with it just ripping apart, but then I haven't tried it with the SU! catty I have laying around.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadelinesMom03
What a great idea!!!!
My demo (who is great!) started taking her catty's to Staples and got them to put the coils in it. I think it only cost 2 or 3bucks. It makes it sooo much better to flip through.
Btw, I like the coil idea, BUT I like how with my page protectors, my pages stay clean, kwim? So I can carry this thing with me all the time... my kids even look through it and yet, like a scrapbook album, I don't have to worry about dirty fingers, etc...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Btw, I like the coil idea, BUT I like how with my page protectors, my pages stay clean, kwim? So I can carry this thing with me all the time... my kids even look through it and yet, like a scrapbook album, I don't have to worry about dirty fingers, etc...
Thanks I think I'm going to give this a shot. It's a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

My catty is coiled and I had the front and back covers laminated - makes it VERY sturdy and stands up to high volume use
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

My catty is coiled and I had the front and back covers laminated - makes it VERY sturdy and stands up to high volume use
How much did it cost to do both though? I know having it coiled is less than $5 but what about laminating each page? What was the price for that? Just curious!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are crazy, so am I! I call it 'fake shopping'! DH will ask what I am doing and I tell him faking shopping. He just shakes his head and walks away!

I do it online a lot, too! I put things in the shopping cart and don't actually buy it. Did you know you can only put 33 items in the Old Navy online shopping cart?!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Great to know I'm not the only one who edits and re-edits her wish lists!!!
Cheryl

My creative therapy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face

I look at my catalog all the time (usually once every day or two), and I am CONSTANTLY making wish lists! I think the samples from the gallery make me realize how great certain sets/colors/accessories are, and I realize I have to have something I'd never considered before. If only I had enough money to buy everything in the catalog, maybe I wouldn't have to constantly change my mind about what I want! Well, it's a dream!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

I think we're all obsessed with the catalog. Only five more months and then we can drool all over the new one. Can't wait!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Na you aren't sick in the head, perfectly healthy and rubber addicted!

I am either creating something with my stamps, on here (SCS), or curled up some places cozy flipping through my catalog! I have two one to ware out during it's year and one to keep when the first one falls apart.

My DH is always joking about how when we moved a year ago I got a Stamp Desk in the basement in the laundry room and he still hasn't seen any clean laundry! And all my Stamp stuff keeps migrating upstairs! Hey I store what I am not using down there, but I have told him countless times if he wants me to work down there he is going to have to get me some good lighting. Is that to much to ask for? Not to mention I should really stay on the same level of the house that the kids are running around!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I just checked Staples online for prices and as far as I could tell it is $1.09 per page for laminating. I may be crazy but I'm not that crazy!! I think I will go with the dollar store page protector idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

This is exactly what I do. I leave a lot of blank spaces in each category, so there's always room to write something down that I didn't "catch" when the catty first comes out, or if I want something out of a mini or change my mind about a set. Then when the new catty comes out in the summer, I rip all the pages out and make a brand new list! It's so much fun!

Oh, and I think I look at the catty at least once every day. Though my reasons for looking at it are usually to look at the cards and scrapbook page examples to get ideas, not necessarily the products themselves.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by speale
If you are crazy, so am I! I call it 'fake shopping'! DH will ask what I am doing and I tell him faking shopping. He just shakes his head and walks away!

I do it online a lot, too! I put things in the shopping cart and don't actually buy it. Did you know you can only put 33 items in the Old Navy online shopping cart?!

Fake Shopping! I love it. I do that all the time. Some weeks only once - others maybe 2 or 3 times a day depending on if it has been a week like this one and I'm out of adhesive, have cards all cut out, stamped and ready to assemble, scrapbook pages cut and ready to assemble, gifts stamped, cut and ready to assemble. It's driving me crazy so I fake shop.

I change my wishlist all the time, but I organize everything by price. Is that sick or what?
Taryn

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson

Last edited by thuskins; 01-23-2006 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

I do the same things. I even bought a purse that is big enough for me to carry my catalog with me at all times. I also use a spiral notebook for my wishlists. I have an ultimate list, then my top $300, then my top $150. But these cahnge quite frequently as I come up with ideas or look at the gallery. My husband just shakes his head and asks if it's better than sex. To which I reply, sometimes.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

DH works for Xerox and has volunteered to do this for me, but by the time I got around to ordering my booster kit, my own copy of the catalogue was beyond help (and I couldn't bear to put another one of those babies through that torture!!!) And I sure wasn't going to part with my catty for a day (that thing is surgically attached to me for the first couple of months - LOL!!

Les
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #37  
Glitter Guru

OK--I feel SO much better after reading about everyone else! I just started stamping last summer, so I don't have a whole lot, and I do the very same things as you all do--pore over the catalogue, make list after list, and then get confused and have to start over again. My husband is very understanding, and I tell him that I suffer from "OSD" (heard about it on this site--Obsessive Stamping Disorder!). I can't wait til we get a scanner and I can start making a gallery!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, we are all nuts, but I love it!! I take it to bed, to the Dr's., the car pool lane, everywhere. I have an extra one at work, too. Every girl has to dream...and now that the mini is coming, one more excuse to browse and make lists!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by valrocks

Val

You must be my long lost sister . . . .I do that all the time! I have an order so finely tuned by the time I submit it . . .I do that mostly so that I am SURE I want and NEED everything on the list. Then I also go to my favorites, scan through all those cards and make sure I have everything I need to complete those projects. So maybe I am a bit more insane than you!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

I am SO glad I came across this thread! I've read some of these to DH and said "see? I'm NOT crazy!" and he just rolled his eyes... and as far as "wish lists" goes? I keep mine right on OEX so when I have the money it gets processed! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes