Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-04-2010, 03:01 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the ONLY one who is woefully behind the times?

I don't own a single Copic marker. I am trying to fill out my set of SU markers instead. They work for the things I want to do with them, and they match my cardstock.

All my stamps are wood mounted. I think there is an UM set in a box. Somewhere. Never used. Just ordred some new SU sets, also wood mounted. Helps that I have lots of room to store them, too. I've used my demo's clear mount ones, but chose to stick to wood.

I don't have a score pal. I still use my bone folder or embossing stylus and my fiskars trimmer.

Am I really the only one who hasn't given in and gotten into all the newest & latest trends? I am totally happy with what I've got and what I can do with all my stuff. Please tell me I'm not alone!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Nope, you're not alone. I do have a scor-pal only because it was given to me by a very generous person (and I do love it, but wouldn't have bought it myself). 95% of my stamps are wood-mounted; I don't have a Copic or slice or big shot or some of the other dozens of items that are must-haves for a lot of people. But that's just me.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Nope...You are not alone! I don't have one single Copic marker. I do have all the markers and also the Watercolor crayons. I haven't unmounted one single stamp. Oh, and no Cricut either! I thought about umnounting but that is just not going to happen. I do however have 2 gadgets I can't live without and they are my Score-pal and ATG gun. I love making boxes and such so use the score-pal a lot.
Great topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Oh yeah - love my Watercolor crayons, too. I still use Tomow/SNAIL, too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I thought I would stay with Snail/Tombow until a couple years ago when I used 11 of them on just my Christmas stuff. That's when I decided to make the change to the ATG. Really happy I did. It takes a while to even out paying for the gun but now it's far cheaper to use. Some swear by the Mono-multi glue but I really like the tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

No Copics. I only started buying Nestabilities when I was given an old Wizard, otherwise I'd still be doing without. I do have unmounted stamps - but apart from two wood ones from a craft show, my very first stamps were all clear. If you're happy with what you have, that's great - stay that way and have fun with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are definitely not alone, LOL! Though it can feel that way sometimes when you're cruisin' the gallery here and see so many beautiful cards with so much trendy stuff.

I have three Copics I won as blog candy and one light gray Copic I bought to outline images. Unless I win more, that'll be it.

I do have a scor pal and wouldn't trade it for the world.

No Big Shot, Nesties, etc. for me either.

While clear stamps have entered my stash (I adore PTI and Hero ARts, especially), I love my wood mounted stamps and have a stamp positioner and am not afraid to use it, LOL!

Use what you love, and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #8  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

No copics here either, also no electronic die cutters. Do have a scorepal which I use on every card I make, and an atg gun that has paid for itself several times over. Also, I love my wood stamps! Not a big fan of the clear/unmounted craze. You are definitely not alone!

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

The only reason that I would go with Copic markers, and I do have several, is because they are refillable, and the selection of colors are amazing. They are more expensive, but I use a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby to buy them. It's just nice to know that I won't be throwing markers away (as in using the SU markers) when they run out of ink or ends get nasty.
I don't have lots of room to store wooden stamps, so I'm thrilled that SU is offering an alternative. I have lots of wood mounted stamps, cling and clear...... I don't have a preference, I just buy what images I like and adapt.
I bought a Cuttlebug with a 40% coupon and a gift certficate and love it, I have lots of Nesties....
I think it depends on your budget for your hobby and how much you do. I'm sure you are probably in the majority and not the minority!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I do use my Cuttlebug everyday ... love it with my nesties and CB folders .. I have a cricut that I never use ... the cartridges here in Canada are 90.00 each .. can't justify purchasing them .. should have done my homework before purchasing the cricut I guess ... expensive lesson learned !!!

I still cut with a self healing mat and a metal ruler with a utility knife ..

As for stamps I have all kinds but am heading towards unmounted, cling or clear ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Cricut here, no Copics here. And I still set eyelets (on the seldom occasion when I use them) with a hammer - no Crop-a-dile either!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't own copics, due to the price tag of each marker, I also don't own an electric die-cutter machine. I love my Cuttlebug, EF and Nesties. I also not not have an ATG tape gun. I have many other tools at my disposal to use but haven't purchased some of those "HOT" items yet.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

You are not alone. Several stampers are using the things they have been using for years. That's great! You should use what works for you and not be swayed by the newest latest & greatest items. That being said, I am a tool junkie. I wish I wasn't, but I feel compelled to but things that are new. I have Copics, Nestabilities, Big shot, Slice, Score Board, Cropadile & an ATG gun. Almost all fo my stamps are unmounted due to issues with space. I really like things that make my life easier. I tend to do cards in bulk. I wish I could be happy with the things that I know have worked for me for years, and I am with many of the tools. You have to go with what works for you & not the current trends. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Copics for me either. no Big Shot, Nesties, rub ons -yet. I am so far behind I'll never keep up! I do have the Scor-pal but seldom use it. it just isnt necessary to keep up with it all. As long as you use what you've got , right?!?!?!?
Happy Easter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

no copics, no electronic cutting machine, and all of my stamps are wood mounted (I even wood mounted my Bellas). I just like the feel of wood, and i am not good enough to color with copics...i do have a big shot and scor pal and lots of other toys, but I just don't need to jump on everything out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
You are definitely not alone, LOL! Though it can feel that way sometimes when you're cruisin' the gallery here and see so many beautiful cards with so much trendy stuff.

I have three Copics I won as blog candy and one light gray Copic I bought to outline images. Unless I win more, that'll be it.

I do have a scor pal and wouldn't trade it for the world.

No Big Shot, Nesties, etc. for me either.

While clear stamps have entered my stash (I adore PTI and Hero ARts, especially), I love my wood mounted stamps and have a stamp positioner and am not afraid to use it, LOL!
Use what you love, and have fun!

I love that! Me too!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I don't have any copics and don't plan on it! I spend enough already and I'm not that great at coloring! :-) I like the SU markers for what I like to do and I love to attempt to watercolor with SU inks and WC crayons (I say attempt because I can NOT not get it to look like some of these fabulous artists around here).

I always said I didn't want or need a die cut machine...got a cuttlebug last year but it retired when I got a BS for Christmas and I love it! I have also drank the un-mounted kool-aid of the SU flavor! I really like the UM stamps. I like that they are cheaper and take up less space...someday I'll probably be uprooted from my craft room by babies and all those DVD cases take up so much less space, hehe.

I say you aren't behind the times, you're just a classic:-D I tend to not jump in on the newest thing right away....I sometimes do much later on....and sometimes I don't.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 521 Likes on 234 Posts

Nope, no Copics. No SU markers. I did give in and get some Bic markers. Still not using them much...yet.

I DID give in to some things...I bought a BigShot. But only because I got a good deal (under $30). But I don't do die cuts cuz I don't like them, mostly. And I don't have any nesties. :shock: I do have some embossing folders.

I have a Scor-Pal and wouldn't do without it. Don't ask me to give it up! :eek:

And I did unmount all my stamps. Not because it is "new" and "better" but because I wanted the space, pure and simple. I was doing that before it became popular.

I don't usually give in to trends until it is going out of style! ;)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I don't own any Copics either and the only reason I have a Scor-Pal is because it was a gift. Honestly, in the two years I've had it I've maybe used it twice. I'm glad I didn't spend my money on it. I am buying the clear mount stamps from SU! though because I like the uniform sized boxes (can you say OCD?).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Not alone

No copics, no Cricut. Do have a cuttlebug that I use to emboss and cut. Don't even have alot of stamps, though I have started to order more and more, Use Prismacolor pencils, watercolor pencils and ordinary markers.

Fran
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_hawkinsView Post
I don't own any Copics either and the only reason I have a Scor-Pal is because it was a gift. Honestly, in the two years I've had it I've maybe used it twice. I'm glad I didn't spend my money on it. I am buying the clear mount stamps from SU! though because I like the uniform sized boxes (can you say OCD?).

YES YES YES YES YES AND YES! :-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #22  

I have no interest in Copics, they seem super expensive. The SU! markers were some of the first things I got when starting to stamp, and I am so glad I did! I have no interest in a Cricut, and hestitated for a while with the Big Shot too, but I got it as a Birthday present, and glad I did! I love it. I think everyone could benefit from owning some sort of tool like that. I bit the ATG bug when I got sick of how fast I went through the Tombo. I make a lot of cards, so I use it fast! I have a ton of rolls of my adhesive, I will be good for a while! I don't have a Scorpal, but I admit I wish I had one. Maybe someday. There are just too many things I would rather have, l like stamps! And, I admit at first I was not excited about Clear Mount, however now I am converting all my rubber (I only own SU!) to clear mount, including buying a ton of the SU! dvd cases, to have the uniform sized stuff, much like what some of the others have said.

So, I would say I don't jump into all the trends, just test some, and some have fit rather nicely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I do have some of the trends. I have an enabling hubby. Honestly, if it wasn't for him I would not have these items.

I do have Copics but I do not use them for stamping. I use them for my illustrations or art work. I prefer my SU and my (don't laugh) Rose Art color pencils.

I UM my stamps a few years back. I was one of the girls that wished she didn't. I mean sure the space is nice but I love my wood blocks. They fit in my hand better.

I have some acrylic but prefer my wood stamps.

Have a Scor-Pal but I use my stylus and trimmer too. I use the Scor-Pal as an embossing tool or make designs with.

I don't want a Cinch. I have a vintage paper punch that does the same thing.

I do have a lot of electronic die cutters. I am saying it here on this board for the first time. I didn't buy them for the normal reasons. I am a computer and tech geek. I like to out think my tech toys. One of my friends asked me one day why I have so many cutters. Because they talk to me and beep. I am glad to have them. It's nice to have an electronic printer that cuts instead of prints. I love that.

I do have a Big Shot and old Red Sizzix. My red Sizzix is my bestest girl friend in my craft room. I use her for everything. She sure loves to smash things.

I used to get enabled really easy because I have a need to know how everything works. When I craft I keep it simple so I can think complex.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I too, don't have any copics or a cricut, an ATG...
I got both the scorpal and a cuttlebug for Christmas (years ago), but hardly, hardly use them. Haven't even used half of my embossing folders!

I trim my cardstock etc with a clear view ruler and a craft knife. I use a bone folder for scoring my cards cos its quicker and easier, I hardly use my CAD.
The majority of my stamps are wood mounted although I do have some unmounted.

I cannot afford the latest and greatest, and I know (from experience) that I wouldn't even use them enough to justify the cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 03:11 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

i don't have all the latest and greatest either. Two reasons: there are things I want (Big Shot, Cricut, Cinch) that I just cannot afford and things that are popular that I know I will not use (Copics). I just keep plugging along with my stamps,paper and inks!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Hmm, after reading this and deciding I was "old school", I had to ask, are unmounteds really new? I began this back in the mid nineties and bought mostly unmounteds and clears, since I knew right off that I couldn't stand all the wood and the storage issues. I began unmounting any wood mounts I had back then too.

I do have a Scorpal and ATG. I don't like the bigness of the ATG but love the money savings on tape and the tape quality as opposed to Tombow. (I had cards that the layers were coming apart when I decided I needed new adhesive)

As for other items, I don't do much die cutting so just have one manual cutter (Wizard) and mostly just nestie dies. I had a Cuttlebug and sold it.

The vast majority of my cutting I do by hand. Craft mats and knives are one of my top consumables. I use a see thru ruler with metal edge and prefer cutting this way for accuracy. I have trimmers but don't use them as much. Although I don't emboss with brass anymore, I use that double ended stylus tool and lot, along with several sizes of bone folders.

I also use a brayer, not so much for direct to paper, but for inking those big stamps and for smoothing things out.

Also, what about good old chalks? In a recent discussion on another board, I found I was the only one still using them on a regular basis. I love my chalks and use them a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

No you are not alone.

I do not own -
- Copics
- Nesties
- Cricut
- Big Shot
- Scor-Pal

I tried to go unmounted and just found that I really don't care for it myself. I know that it saves a lot of space but it just not worth it to me at this point.

I do have a Cuttlebug and love it. I use it everytime I get a chance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #28  
Vintage Vixen

As you have already heard, you are NOT alone. I don't have a Cricut, Scor-Pal, Copics, or even a fancy paper trimmer. I like my Prismacolor pencils and odorless mineral spirits for coloring. Most of my stamps are wood-mount (I do have some clear stamps from Inkadinkado and Tim Holtz). But the most recent stamps I've bought are unmounted rubber that I then put on EZMount. I'm loving that! But I don't plan to unmount any of my wood stamps. I do have a Cuttlebug and a few Nestabilities (mainly basic shapes for die-cutting).

Don't worry about what everyone else is buying. Buy only those things that you know you'll use consistently and that match your style. Otherwise you'll get caught in a "keeping up with the Joneses" vicious cycle, and spend money on a bunch of things you neither like nor use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Nope certainly not alone. Although this is a new hobby for me I used to scrap book so I use my old creative memories trimmer (8 yrs old) and anything else I can get by with, without reinvesting. But since this is a new hobby I had to buy somethings new so I research the heck outta any new product I want. I do have copics but own no other coloring medium. (expect a 12 ct prisma pencil that was gifted to me) I will get the worth outta any product and unless its broke, I don't try fixing it.
Reply With Quote Likes