Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the ONLY one out there who won't buy...

I am feeling very isolated and lonely right now! I love some of the new in style colors from SU but I won't buy them. I feel like the only person who won't! When first introduced to SU over 8 years ago, I got hooked on them for 2 reasons. First, their great stamp sets and second, their coordinated colors that I could buy everything that matches.

So now SU comes out with these great colors but they are limited to one year and I can not get the matching markers. At first I wanted them all but then I started thinking....

The reason I feel safe buying SU colors is because I always know that I can order replacements for everything. I have probably gone through 50 packages of mellow moss in 8 years between my personal use, making projects for others and my stamp camps. I know that Mellow Moss will always be orderable, paper, markers, reinkers..... The same for all my colors that I use all the time. And I take great advantage of that. It is important to me personally.

I don't mind them retiring colors either. This is part of the business. When they changed the stamp pad design, I bought all the new ones over the course of a year. So now I have 2 full sets of everything. That is OK too.

It is also business to have these limited colors. I am OK with that but am not buying. I did order Cool Caribean paper and am so in love with the paper but won't buy the stamp pad because I am such a stinker for having access to everything and the knowledge that I can reorder whenever I need to.

I am not upset with SU. I love them and have been with them for 7 years. I am just saying that I can't justify buying the new colors for myself. Am I nuts? Am I missing something here? Am I truly the only one out there who has decided this way?

I am not bashing SU. You will never hear me say anything negative about them or anyone else for that matter. SU has been nothing but wonderful to me for all these years. I just feel like maybe I am missing something because I FEEL LIKE THE ONLY PERSON OUT THERE WHO IS NOT ORDERING THESE COLORS.....

AM I NUTS?

Pam
PS If SU had 100 colors I would buy them all if the were "permament"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My thinking is the more colors that coordinate with the "permanent" line the better. I really like the idea of fresh colors each year. At the end of the year I'll buy a couple packs of CS and a few reinkers and I'm good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you're not nuts! When it seemed like everyone was buying the monogram letters, I thought I was nuts for not being interested in them, and then I realized that just because other people found them a necessity didn't mean I had to. If you don't want to invest in the in colors, don't and don't feel bad about it!

I have bought four of the six in colors but only because I really like them and had a few extra dollars to spend on them. I am not a demo so no concerns there for trying to sell stuff for just a year. I'll stock up if I really like the colors and that'll be enough to make me happy. But I totally "get" why you wouldn't want to bite on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

No, Pam. You're not alone! I love SU, and would'nt have anything negative to say either, but if a color isn't permanent as you said, I'm not buying . Ink lasts for years at my house, and if I couldn't add the paper in later years, there'd be no use in having the ink hang around. They're pretty colors, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I really like the colors so I bought them. I'm not so thrilled with Cool Caribeen or True Thyme but they're growing on me. I don't love that they're going to go away but I'm just going to love them while I have them. It's a new fun thing. And I'll probably keep them after the retirement too. I'll stock up on some of the papers that I love and get the reinkers.

But if you don't want to get into something that isn't permanent then that's ok too. It's not a necessity. It's just a fun new thing and SU has seen that people love new things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't bought any of the new colors either, for much the same reasons that your have listed. I may try one or two out with my sell a bration order, but not having them available once the new catalog comes out makes me just feel like passing on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I also am not buying them, I don't like the idea of SU having "In Colors" and then retiring them, I want to beable to have access to more if I need them and I refuse to "stock up" So you're not alone in your thinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Nope you are not alone! I only bought Cool Caribbean paper and ink because that is my most favoritist color of all time and I am super excited Stampin Up has finally offered it (I will be ordering a bunch of paper and a reinker before the end of the catalog year) BUT I can't afford to do that with all the new colors so I will not be buying any of them. I am almost out of the retired Positively Pink paper and I will probably donate that ink pad when it runs out cause I don't think I will use it anymore. As a non-demo on a limited budget I can't afford to only have a bunch of inks that I won't be able to really use much after only one year. I do see the point of Stampin Up offering the colors and I think they are cool but just not for me (kinda like the monogram letters someone mentioned above... I feel the same about those too!)
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Nope! Right now I"m trying to build up my business. I plan on not buying anything that I know won't be availble next year. I need to be able to showcase stuff at workshops and make it worthwile money wise. I won't be buying them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't going to buy any of them, but ended up getting cranberry and thyme because I wanted colors to match the Holiday Thyme paper. I think I will get carribean and buy like 5 packs of paper and store them in a dark closet, an ink pad and 2 reinkers. Should last me YEARS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Hmm. Wish this thread had started before I began mine regarding whether or not to purchase the In colors. But I think I'm going to stick with my last (and final!) decision to buy the 4 colors of ink pads that I really like as well as the assorted pack of cardstock. I can always use the ink on white or vanilla cardstock, as someone else suggested. Okay. It's definite. I think.
All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Well I bought the reinkers and an assortment pack of the CS to see if I really NEEDED the colors. I also was able to get some blank spots to make my own in the "In Colors" That way I have all the colors in the spots. I have decided since trying them out, that I do NEED some of them

The "In Colors" give the "regular" colors new life! You can pair them up with the existing colors to create new combinations that are stunning! I plan on buying a few packs of the CS as the year goes on, to make sure I have some of the colors I use the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Seriously, I don't care what is staying or going. I just buy what I like for myself. I can see that for others it would bother them, but for me, for sets/accessories/colors/papers, I don't worry about anything, I just get what I like and can afford. If I get tired of it, I trade or sell it. There's so much out there from different companies, it's amazing.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I really like having the extra colors. I only bought the paper because I think we have plenty of inks that are almost an exact match. What I really like, is that so many of the simply scrapin kits match the new colors. I like that because I like that these kits will change each year. I have also purchased the "in color" ribbons and have used them on non "in color" cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I'm still on the fence about them. I love, love, love the colors and would probably buy them if I had all the regular color families, but not having the regular families I'm not sure I can justify getting something which is limited to just a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I am a mixer, in fact don't own any (except what came in the country blessings set) SU cardstock. But I really love 4 of the SU in colors which of course I will buy. I already own two, the true thyme and cranberry crisp. I am planning to buy the violet and buckaroo blue and all 4 reinkers. I have stamp pads from years ago that still work perfectly, so I am sure I will have these 4 colors for years to come and they will always match something or I will stamp on white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

First let me say that you should never buy, from any company, anything that you do not want. And you should not feel bad about it! Buy something you will enjoy with that money! ;-)

Having said that, let me ask you this... When you go in your LSS, do you not buy anything that might not be available past this season or this "style"? I think that is what SU is doing with the in colors. They are watching the trends and want to keep up with the latest "gotta have" colors. This way, they can make sure they have coordinating inks and cardstock for the wonderful new designer papers they come out with.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I decided to get the assorted paper pack cuz I love having all the paper colors. But I'm not bothering with the ink. I can get "close enough" with a lot of the inks and/or coloring implements I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

First, I bought a package of the assorted papers in the new colors ($7.50 for 6 sheets of each color). Not too much money to see what colors I liked and I can always use the paper with permanent colors. Now, I'm buying the ink pads, a reinker, and paper in the three colors that I really like and think I will use. When those are gone, these colors will likely be outdated and I will have moved on to other favorites.

It is so hard to prioritize where to spend money when we want it all!! If these colors don't grap you and you don't see a need for them - save your dollars for something you would rather have. Sometimes its smarter not to go with the masses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

ummm.. so some of you actually use your stuff enough to go through it?! I have decided that I am a cardstock, rubber stamp, ink pad COLLECTOR and I don't feel "right" if I do not have all the items in a set (OCD) I still have almost a whole package of Rocket Red and Luscious Lime Cardstock along with the inkpads and two reinkers for each. I originall purchased only four of the six In Colors but will eventually have all six.

I believe that stamping styles and "in style" colors do change over time and some things just need to be refreshed and rethought as our styles evolve - for goodness sake, not many of us would have mixed Pumpkin and Teal two years ago. I like the idea of the IN COLORS, SU is just trying to introduce Seasonal Collections (Designer Papers in the Minis) - like most scrapbooking companies do - and along with their Seasonal Collections they have provided us the coordinationg solid colored cardstock, which is available all year. Just think, we may go into another frenzy next year of new In Style colors are introduced again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm crazy about Cool Carribean and Cranberry Crisp... had to have those two!

But I wouldn't count on SU completely throwing them out after one year. I get the vibe that this year is the guinea pig, and if enough people like some of them, they will keep those on and change out the others. Does that make sense? Part of the reason I feel this way is because of how many samples and kits coordinate with the new colors.
I just can't see them completely chucking all six and starting over. It's totally my opinion, of course, but I have the feeling they will keep a couple of the most popular and add new ones to go with whatever trend is hot. I imagine they are not totally sure yet themselves. After all, this is just the first year and most things require some tweaking.
JMO! Probably all wishful thinking based on the fact that I adore Cool Carribean
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

I like the issue you raise with products in the LSS, Sharlene.

I do understand that SU has very heavily marketed how everything (ink, paper, ribbon, etc) coordinates perfectly, and that this appeals to a lot of paper crafters. Personally, it's not a big deal to me and I am happy creating my cards and scrapbook layouts well outside the distinctive "SU Style" using the mix of products I've acquired because I'm excited about them. We yam who we yam, and we shouldn't feel insecure over what kinds of crafting supplies we feel comfortable buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I wasn't going to, but I did, I got them all with cardstock and reinker. I have LOVED playing with them and I have made some pretty cards for personal use. I like what one person said about those colors bringing the other ones to life, I feel that is what they have done. I still am using up some of the retired colors. . . . .and I will do the same as long as I have supplies for these ones. I do not regret my purchases . . . I find the more colors of ink and paper I have the more I can put into my cards . . . .
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I have bought all except the Cool Caribbean. I love them. I will probably buy several packs of CS and reinkers before the end of the year.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=77229
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I only have Cool Caribbean, Cranberry Crisp, and Marigold Morning - the others I didn't like, so I didn't buy them. I'm still not that keen about Cranberry, however I adore Marigold and Cool Caribbean. Since I'm partial to blues, I might try the Buckaroo, but it didn't grab me at first, so I didn't buy it. I've seen a couple of cards in the gallery that might (and that's a big might) make me try Buckaroo before it goes away.

All of that to say, buy what you like.
Lori Prince , SCS #26330 - Nothing surprises me, I can only be amazed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I agree with you. I really love Cranberry Crisp, but I would not consider buying these colors until I at least had the 48 regular colors.

One of the things that appeals to me the most about SU products is that the colors within a family coordinate and that you can get matching inks, cs, markers etc. While the missing markers aren't a huge deal to me, missing chalks and watercolor crayons are. Also, the idea that something is going to disappear on me and leave me without matching products (most likely CS, as the stamp pad will last quite a while with a reinker) really puts me off.

I know at a recent SU! non-Regionals meeting I heard a lot of similar sentiment so you are definitely not the only one. But I guess for those people that have all the colors then getting some new options instead of the same old, is probably fun even if it is only for a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

If SU is going to retire some ot the 48 regular colors at the end of the year, I hope they warn us. I was a new SU Customer of only a few months when they retired some of the colors...some of those retired colors that I really liked, I had started buying some of the items (markers and cardstock) but had not yet purchased the ink pads or re-inkers. That was very disappointing! LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie
I'm crazy about Cool Carribean and Cranberry Crisp... had to have those two!

But I wouldn't count on SU completely throwing them out after one year. I get the vibe that this year is the guinea pig, and if enough people like some of them, they will keep those on and change out the others. Does that make sense? Part of the reason I feel this way is because of how many samples and kits coordinate with the new colors.
I just can't see them completely chucking all six and starting over. It's totally my opinion, of course, but I have the feeling they will keep a couple of the most popular and add new ones to go with whatever trend is hot. I imagine they are not totally sure yet themselves. After all, this is just the first year and most things require some tweaking.
JMO! Probably all wishful thinking based on the fact that I adore Cool Carribean

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

You're not the only one! ;)

I totally understand how great it is for business and have no problem with them doing things this way, I just don't wanna get too attached, ya know?

Then again, I have to agree with some of the others in that I still have and use Old Olive ink and paper and don't see the end of using either anytime soon - but I'm not a demo, either.

For demos, I see the reasoning in spending money (on the new in color stuff) to make money (off people buying the new in color stuff because they've seen you use it and loved it).

I guess I fear that Cool Caribbean will be something like Certainly Celery to me... I love Celery soooo much and if it were to go away I would just roll over and DIE! I just don't think I'm strong enough to say goodbye! ;) It's like the opposite of that whole "it's better to have loved and lost..." theory of thought. In my case, it might be better to not get too attached!
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

You're not the only one! ;)

I totally understand how great it is for business and have no problem with them doing things this way, I just don't wanna get too attached, ya know?

Then again, I have to agree with some of the others in that I still have and use Old Olive ink and paper and don't see the end of using either anytime soon - but I'm not a demo, either.

For demos, I see the reasoning in spending money (on the new in color stuff) to make money (off people buying the new in color stuff because they've seen you use it and loved it).

I guess I fear that Cool Caribbean will be something like Certainly Celery to me... I love Celery soooo much and if it were to go away I would just roll over and DIE! I just don't think I'm strong enough to say goodbye! ;) It's like the opposite of that whole "it's better to have loved and lost..." theory of thought. In my case, it might be better to not get too attached!
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

I have bought all the "In Color" stamp pads, and the paper. Just because they say that it will be retired, doesn't mean they won't come out with markers or crayons for the line next year.

If they are all discontinued next year, I'll just make sure to buy a stock of paper, and the re-inkers, and I should be set....if I run out, oh well, all good things do come to an end at some point!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 12:24 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

ummm.. so some of you actually use your stuff enough to go through it?!
Ummmmm.....yeah! I'm on my 3rd pack of cool caribbean cs! Here's an idea to fix the marker dillema.....get a pack of blender pens (3 pens, 2 tips on each, 6 total) and the reinkers & make your own markers! I haven't been able to make a single project without using at least one In Color color in it. I know, I have serious issues! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

I love having lots of options, so I bought all the 'in' colors in paper, pads, and reinkers. I love them all except for Vintage Violet (not at all what I was expecting!) and will probably buy at least one or two more packs of the others before they retire.
I find, that even with the 48+ SU! colors, there's just not enough color selection! After all, there are an infinite number of colors in the world! I want them all![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #33  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

i have them all and will probably start buying a pack of cranberry crisp adn true thyme each month starting in january just to stock up on

i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE - REALLY STRONG LIKE - those two colors and use them on EVERYTHING! I'm also a big fan of the vintage violet and marigold morning and use them frequently.

I totally understand the business aspect of it if/when then retire the colors, but I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wish they'd keep them on. I don't mind buying another caddy for my new stamp pads!

I still use my baroque burgundy a good bit but not as often as i used to becaues i'm out of paper. eggplant envy was another favorite that pops up in some of my stuff still.

buy what you love and don't worry if no one else agrees.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

No, I am the same way. Sure enough I will make something and want to do more of them and not have the c/s to do it. I am still fretting over losing Forest Foliage when it retired though, so I have real letting go issues, LOL!!! I like having all the colors in ink/c/s and markers too. Never thought I would use the markers as much as I have this past year, I love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 05:38 AM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought them all, but then I'm a demo and had to have all the new stuff. ;)

This is what I tell my customers: If you really like one of the In Colors, remember that an ink pad only costs $5 and cardstock only costs $5. For $10, you have a whole year or more of pleasure. Want to extend that? Buy a reinker and another pack or two of cardstock at the end of the year and you'll be set for even longer. It costs at least that much ($17.50) to go to a movie for two hours of pleasure and get a popcorn and a drink to consume while you are there....for the same price you can get two or three years of pleasure.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 05:42 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I bought the reinkers and a multi pack of the cardstock. I used the reinkers and made my own spots....just to try it all and see if I like it and what ones I need to order for sure! I don't usually do full size ink pads because I just really do not have the storage space for it!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes