Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I missing out on the Washi Tape?

I've seen it around but I've never bought it. I've also seen photos or even watched videos where people have ROLLS and ROLLS of this stuff.

Do you use it a lot? And if you get it from Stampin Up, does it come with a "chart" telling you which ink colors they match? I think I'm going to get the one from the Holiday Catalog (All is Calm) and try it out. Just wondering if this is something that I'm going to fall in love with and then have to go out and buy every roll known to man kind? LOL

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think washi tape comes down to personal taste. Some people love it others not so keen. I bought it as I think a lot of people have and found that each time I went to use it I wasnt really happy with the end look. I like that there have been some blog posts lately showing different ways to use up your washi tape like covering a bit of card stock then die cutting shapes etc.
Bit sad to see people (myself included) using it to anchor a die bit in place before cutting rather than post it note or cheap tape. I think there are more that have bought and just look at the pretty combinations than those who use it, but I may be wrong. Just something I have noticed and heard a bit on different blogs etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm with you OP - I am not sure about it either. I did not buy it for the longest time but then gave in and now have 6 rolls but just cannot figure out how I want to use it and I am beginning to think I never will. Maybe I will search washi tape in the gallery and see what others have done with it (it's not like I have housework waiting on me this morning :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm another person that it just didn't grab. If I need a a patterend strip, I have mountains of printed paper I can cut some from, but its really just not my thing. I suppose it very much depends on your style of papercraft- the reason I still have so much DP is that nowadays, I'm predominantly an inker/stamper. That and the fact that I tend to avoid the latest 'in thing', like the recent owls/moustaches (thats another thing I didn't 'get')/cupcakes crazes. I love owls, but when every other card features them, its hard to be individual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I do have a container with rolls of washi tape. My MIL actually loves the stuff because it's easier for her to make cards for her arthritic hands. I keep trying to find ways to use it other than making stripes, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love it! I have a lots of washi tape and use it all the time. Pick a few general colors that you like or will complement favorite papers or color schemes that you use, and give it a try! It's inexpensive enough to at least get a taste of using it - you may love it, too .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

what I like about it is it's slightly re-positional, I have had times where I have laid down a scrap of well adhesive covered papers and got them crooked and wanted to move them and ruined the paper underneath.. this tape is not quite as sticky and I have had good luck moving it if I try right after I lay it down. I have some. ( not every color ) and I don't use it a lot but, I don't regret the ones I do have either. so, if you try it get something that really suits your style rather then one of every color.
your chances of using it would increase that way I think.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used it but only on one project that I saw long ago on a blog: tea light candles . They are the same width to wrap around so you don't have to look at the plain silver dish they come in. Other than that...nope, just don't see the fascination.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the tape "looks" appealing, and so I bought several rolls. Like everyone else, I haven't used it much at all.

Lately, I've ended up putting a small strip of washi tape across the flaps of envelopes when I mail cards, kind of like an envelope seal.

Better than looking at the unused rolls and feeling guilty for not using it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did buy a set of 3 rolls to use on my Christmas cards last year. I used it on one of the designs (only one of the patterns) and on one tag, but haven't really jumped on the bandwagon with it. If you don't know what to do with it, perhaps you could case some cards using it and then from there you can get a feel of how you want to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #11  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Some patterns were hard to resist so placed strips along 1/4-sheet of card stock and then punched or die-cut shapes from it. I really liked with an ornament punch because my main colors were red and green. I have other rolls that have yet to be opened and some that are kept handy for holding stencils and such in place (because my painter's tape seems to always get lost, covered I n cat hair, or re-housed with DH's stuff).

Some patterns I bought to match a person's hobby where I didn't think the cost of a stamp was justified (limited use) so there's a reason to consider trying it.

Happy Crafting!
Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not for me. I like some of the things people do with it, but all too often it just looks slapped on because, well, why not?

I'm perfectly happy skipping trends that don't appeal to me.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

We use it as tape when wrapping gifts. My daughters LOVE using it that way. You can also use it to make shaker frames on your cards and scrapbook pages. I love the subtle transparency of washi tape - I made a card a couple days ago and PP was too bold, so I used some washi tape as a mat instead and loved the effect. I do not have tons of rolls, though. I buy very selectively so I have to really love it to purchase it ( having a lot of anything, craft-related or not, really drains me mentally. I know that sounds weird ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I have bought several rolls…..but haven't really used it! Ordered 2 more this week from Stampin' Up clearance…had to have!…. Probably need to start using it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I wasn't interested in it at all till now! I've seen some cards that were CAS using SU washi, and I loved them! I'm planning on getting the SU gold washi and the pastel set. Can't remember the name.

It's cheap and looks like a nice, easy, fun item to change things up a bit. I don't really get the washi tape stamp images. That said, I've seen some cute cards made with those too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I see Washi tape used quite a bit in Art Journaling YouTube tutorials and then painted over and you would never know it is there. It just about kills me as it is so easy to remove. I get that Art Journaling is a process and everyone has their own process, I just have difficulty in using something so specific and then not showing off its properties.

As I have started my Art Journal I am sure I will do things that drive people crazy too!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I love the stuff and have several rolls! It kind of has the texture of masking tape. Very easy to use and so pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Definitely personal preference. I love it. I loved it before it was popular. I am crazy about tapes of all kinds. If you want to try a roll of Washi the Dollar Tree's sell cute Washi Tapes. It's not true Washi tape, of course. It's Chugoku Washi Tape. Most of the big box craft stores- Michael's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's all carry Chugoku anyway. I will never spend more than a $1.00 on Chugoku.

If you want real Washi tape you will have to pay more. Prices range from $5-$20 per roll in the United States. Most real Washi you will have to order online. Etsy is a great source. If you have a high end stationery store they carry it. Some Japanese Markets also carry Washi. You can find rolls of real Washi cheaper at the Japanese markets. I have even been able to find real Washi at the Korean markets.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I like washi tape for more free and easy or "collagey" work. Washi doesn't work for me for cas cards. I especially love Tim's older semi-transparent, narrow washi for Halloween projects. I have Anna Griffin's, which is gorgeous, but I haven't used it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

DeeAnn - what's the difference between the two?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Not a fan of it at all. I don't like the fact that you can see the paper, through the tape.

I do have several rolls that have a backing on it, and I leave the backing on and just glue down the tape, backing and all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
I've seen it around but I've never bought it. I've also seen photos or even watched videos where people have ROLLS and ROLLS of this stuff.

Do you use it a lot? And if you get it from Stampin Up, does it come with a "chart" telling you which ink colors they match? I think I'm going to get the one from the Holiday Catalog (All is Calm) and try it out. Just wondering if this is something that I'm going to fall in love with and then have to go out and buy every roll known to man kind? LOL
I actually did a search on CAS and Washi but there are loads of examples in the gallery

CAS Washi - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

I don't find it appealing at all...just too random. That said, I wish I owned stock in the Washi tape company, because a lot of people seem to binge on the stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I actually did a search on CAS and Washi but there are loads of examples in the gallery

CAS Washi - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com
Oh, yes, I've seen great cas cards with washi. It's me; it never works out for me, and always looks somehow "off."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
DeeAnn - what's the difference between the two?
True Washi tape is only made in Japan. Wa- Japanese Shi- Paper. Chugoku means Chinese tape.

Washi is mainly made from Japanese rice paper. Chinese and US tapes are made from other trees and plants. Any type of masking tape you get from Japan will be Washi. This does not include deco tape which is made from plastic. Real Japanese Washi usually has MT in the description for masking tape. Japanese Washi is absolutely lovely and luxurious to work with.

Chugoku tapes because they are made from a variety of trees is where you start seeing all the quality issues like too sticky, not sticky enough, not tearing correctly. It is still lovely tape. I own many rolls of Chugoku I am always aware there are going to be issues unlike working with Japanese Washi that is consistent every time.

The best quality tapes I have found in order of country are-
Japan
USA
England
Hong Kong
China

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Just seems silly and overpriced to me. I never bought any and never will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 05:08 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do a search on 'pinterest' you will find a ton of ideas. I love it for making simple assembly line cards; easy to reposition and don't need to take out a lot of supplies to make these cards and other ideas using washi tape

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Lately, I've ended up putting a small strip of washi tape across the flaps of envelopes when I mail cards, kind of like an envelope seal."

Gonna have to steal this idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wonder how many people wouldn't like Washi if it had been marketed as self adhesive decorative rice paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my goodness do I ever have a collection...love the stuff!
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wasn't sure what to think about washi when it first came out. I saw a few projects with it and wondered what the big deal was. I broke down about a year later and bought a few rolls to try it out. First I used it in place of ribbon and liked it. Then I made a small storage box out of chip board and covered it in washi. Thought it was great after that. Then I discovered I could cover the edges of plain white cardstock and make fake layers of designer paper. I even like to cut die cuts with it. I'm now extremely addicted to it and have close to 300 rolls.:oops::oops::oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 03:53 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

To me a great future thing in "Washi" would be that as it acts like vellum (you can see through it) if you could treat it like self adhesive vellum and buy different widths to stamp on. Maybe it is already out there and I have missed it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I like that SU has it in colors that match the cardstock, inks and DSP. The set of gold washi is really cool! I've also lined up coordinating patterns and die cut a butterfly out of it. That was a huge hit with my stamping friends! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP: The Stampin' Up! catalog will list the colors found in the tape, in the item's description. HTH
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not a big fan but I will use it now and then. Any more I've been using what I have like painter's tape to hold dies in place, etc. I will not buy anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #36  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a few rolls but don't use it often at all. I doubt I will even ever use the rolls I have completely....they might go with the next craft supply purge - LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Doesn't appeal to me...the cards I've seen look sloppy. For me, it's in the same category as using staples on cards---to many other embellies like ribbons, brads, gems.

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a single roll. I have to choose what trends I can get into due to space and budget and it didn't make the list. It reminds me of that old pink hair tape, anyone remember that?
I've made a card or two at my demo's with some and they look OK, but I'm not excited about it enough to get any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Love mine, but must admit, I've yet to use it for it's intended purpose of decorating a card! I've used it for almost everything else tho! Page markers, diary markers, holding stuff together, labelling my clear blocks, labelling my son's books/stationery...you get the idea:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I could never get into it either. I think it just comes down to personal taste.
Reply With Quote Likes