Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altered Note Books

I�ve seen allot of altered notebooks out there and I once made one but the designer paper didn't look so good after a few weeks in my purse. Any suggestions on how to keep an altered notebook from getting all messed up. I want to make a prayer book to carry around in my purse.

Thanks

Barbara
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I bought a box of laminating sheets that you can cut to any size..(they are 8.5 x 11 sheets) and cut it the size of my note pad..than CAREFULLY peel off the top layer of the laminating sheet to expose the sticky back side.

My notebook was bound on left side so I started at the SHORTEST end (or the side of my book) and laying it down horizontally!! I pressed it over the cardstock and/or patterned paper that covered my notebook. Just TAKE YOUR TIME and carefully press it down as the sticky backing is STICKY and not very "forgiving" so you can NOT lift it back up if it gets pressed down crooked, etc. or it will pull off your patterned paper/cardstock. ( I learned that in a hurry...hahahaha)

Hope this helps...maybe easier ways to do it?? but this works for me and it keeps those edges stuck down/covered so they don't get all grunchy looking.
Take care...Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Altered Note Books

Hi Jo,
I had to laugh when I got your response because it's now 6:15 am here in PA and I haven't gone to bed yet. Thought I would check my email one more time and I got so excited. I said oh someone else is up too, but you probably having a different time zone or you�re just getting up. I'm a night person and it gets later and later every night. I seem to get more things done at night.

Thank you so much for your help with the Altered Note Book. I really like your idea. I will definitely try it.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Hi Barbara...You are MOST WELCOME!! Hope it helps....

I just get up EARLY on the weekends....sometimes 4:00 AM!!! Don't know why I don't sleep in, but like to get up early and play in my crafting bungalow (as I call it)...when ALL is quiet elsewhere...I can THINK better I guess?? haha

You can email me anytime if you have problems/questions...I work during the day, so would have to get back with you in evenings..otherwise..NO PROB!!

Let me know how your notebooks turn out...K???

Take care, have fun!!! :mrgreen: Cya...Jo

Quote:

Originally Posted by btrechakView Post
Hi Jo,
I had to laugh when I got your response because it's now 6:15 am here in PA and I haven't gone to bed yet. Thought I would check my email one more time and I got so excited. I said oh someone else is up too, but you probably having a different time zone or you�re just getting up. I'm a night person and it gets later and later every night. I seem to get more things done at night.

Thank you so much for your help with the Altered Note Book. I really like your idea. I will definitely try it.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I altered some comp. notebooks using fabric instead of paper for the covers, and this worked beautifully. I ran the fabric through my Xyron! Then you can embellish as you want. Use a fabric glue to glue your embellies.. It is very durable!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

GREAT IDEA!!! but I don't have the BIG Xyron machine :mad: ....isn't that what you need??

I've heard a LOT about the machines though!!! Hmmm...might be something I "NEED" to purchase....hahahaha....what size is your machine??? and does it hold pretty good? Meaning...it's sticky enough to stay STUCK down...:confused:

Thanks for the idea!!! and I like the idea of using material!!! Do you have to stiffen the material with anything?? before running it through your machine? Would love to see pic's!!

Have a great day!! Bye...Jo

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
I altered some comp. notebooks using fabric instead of paper for the covers, and this worked beautifully. I ran the fabric through my Xyron! Then you can embellish as you want. Use a fabric glue to glue your embellies.. It is very durable!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I use the Xyron 900, and love it! I don't use it on cards and such, but I love it for notebooks and other "altering." I use it a lot, and if you use a coupon at Michael's or HL, the refills aren't so expensive. They last quite awhile anyway.
And yes.. things are stuck forever and ever with the adhesive. On the fabric, I do try to burnish it in with my bone folder to make sure the adhesive is good and stuck to the fabric (or whatever). It makes for a complete even coverage too.
I didn't stiffen the fabric at all, I just lined the edges up where it feeds in and turned the handle slowly so that the fabric wouldn't wrinkle underneath.
I'm horrible at remembering to take pictures of my projects! My gallery is so puny, but if I took pics of everything, I'd have 100s in there. I'll see if I can find one I made for my daughter for Christmas last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had this problem too, anyone tried a thin layer of Mod Podge over the cover? I was wondering if that would seal it better?

�Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away�.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The notebooks that have the spiral you can remove I find the best. I actually cut the cardstock larger than the cover and fold it under to the inside and cut another piece for the inside a little smaller than the size of the cover to cover the seams. The only problem can be punching the holes for the spirals. You actually need two holes sometimes. One for the front and one for where you fold it under.
I made one about a year and a half ago and it travels in my purse and is still holding up, and if you could see the inside of my purse.... The edges are a bit whitened but they aren't coming off.

Hope this made sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I just used a glue stick for the adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I am definitely gonna try this Michelle with the fabric...WHEN I get a Xyron!! hahahaha

I sure do like my small one though...just super quick for smaller items that you want to lay FLAT, have a laminated layer over it, and which will stay STUCK DOWN...know what I mean??

Will be watching (and waiting) for pictures!! tee hee...I have NO pic's in
the gallery, as I'm afraid my cards aren't ???? nice enough maybe??? for all to see...It takes me hours to come up with ideas...and with all the beautiful cards and pictures in SCS, I don't understand why it does??!! Just me...very critical of myself...one of these days, maybe I'll give it a shot and post a picture or two.

Have a great day!! Cya...Jo

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
I use the Xyron 900, and love it! I don't use it on cards and such, but I love it for notebooks and other "altering." I use it a lot, and if you use a coupon at Michael's or HL, the refills aren't so expensive. They last quite awhile anyway.
And yes.. things are stuck forever and ever with the adhesive. On the fabric, I do try to burnish it in with my bone folder to make sure the adhesive is good and stuck to the fabric (or whatever). It makes for a complete even coverage too.
I didn't stiffen the fabric at all, I just lined the edges up where it feeds in and turned the handle slowly so that the fabric wouldn't wrinkle underneath.
I'm horrible at remembering to take pictures of my projects! My gallery is so puny, but if I took pics of everything, I'd have 100s in there. I'll see if I can find one I made for my daughter for Christmas last year.
Reply With Quote Likes