Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afraid to buy

I read the thread on here about hoarding stuff and I have been guilty of that. I think sometimes that it's because I get intimidated by all of you wonderful creative people. That being said, I find that I am afraid to buy items, sometimes including non-SU stamps, but mostly patterned scrapbook paper.

I see wonderful cards made with it, but I always talk myself out of buying it. Sometimes I tell myself that I should just use my stamps and create backgrounds. Isn't that what I bought them for?

Anybody else out there afraid to buy things?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Do you scrapbook? You could always buy/use your patterned paper for scrapbooking until you are more comfortable with card making Personally, I think you shouldn't be intimidated - everyone has a different level of creating and if you there are products you like, you should try to use them! You might surprise yourself

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't think you should push yourself to make any purchases. For me, if I buy something without being totally sure that I'll like it or use it, it sits unopened forever.

Use what you have, and only buy if something REALLY grabs you. That's my advice!

Regarding hoarding, use it up! There will always be something newer, prettier, and that you'll want more than what you have now. Use your stash and enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I started off with scrapbooking, so I fell in love with all the pattern papers right away.

When I started making cards, it seemed very natural to me to use all that lovely paper on my cards.

I've been making cards for a couple of years, and love to stamp and color the images, but have not EVER stamped a background. There I said it!

I admire people who make their own backgrounds and patterns. I think their cards are beautiful and very artistic, but it's just not for me.

I've decided I make cards the same way I cook - a combination of "from scratch" (stamping images) and convenience foods (pattern :mrgreen: papers).

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I don't think you should push yourself to make any purchases. For me, if I buy something without being totally sure that I'll like it or use it, it sits unopened forever.

Use what you have, and only buy if something REALLY grabs you. That's my advice!

Regarding hoarding, use it up! There will always be something newer, prettier, and that you'll want more than what you have now. Use your stash and enjoy it!
Ditto! ITA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post

What she said ^!

I wasted a lot of money very enthusiastically early on by not being more cautious. Now, I have to really, really love something to spend on it. I know if it doesn't grab me, it'll sit and take up space and eventually be given away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 04:43 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I still buy too much; however, recently I've MADE myself go to the gallery of a certain stamp set I've not used in a long time and find something that appeals to me and MAKE mysef us these sets. I'm just about to the point of getting rid of some of my sets. I need to start making all my sets and then as I use them, I take off the "marker" and those that still are marked at the end of several months, I'll get rid of it.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

The marker idea is a good one. I may try this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 05:57 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Default Hoarding

I'm guilty of buying and 'saving' the things I buy for later. January first of this year I went on a years moratorium of buying new supplies and promised myself I'd stick to it. I've found that I've used up so many of the things I've had on hand...scraps of this and pieces of that. Using all of these things has prompted my creativity, saved me money and given me much needed space.

I have had to buy some new 'b' plates for my Cuttlebug, some adhesive and a stamp I plan to use for Christmas cards but beyone that, I've stuck with my promise to myself.

Of course the new catty just came out and I've got lots of things tagged in there that I will soon be needing...<G> Hope I can wait a few more months..

Happy Stamping
Daisy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 07:20 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm like Bugga -- I use a combination of "from scratch" and "from a mix/convenience." I LOVE my patterend papers. That's what I started with when I first started rally getting into card-making. And still now I love to use them. I see those gorgeous cards with stamped backgrounds and I just ...well, not only don't I think I can do it, mostly I just don't want to do it. I love my patterned papers and I don't think my cards are less artistic because I use them.

But when I started out I had to have everything. And some of that stuff I never use. My eyelet setter -- I've never even taken it out of the package. I love Daisy's idea of a moratorium. I don't shop often but I should just use up what I've got.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453View Post
January first of this year I went on a years moratorium of buying new supplies and promised myself I'd stick to it.
A WHOLE YEAR!!! I can't even last a whole month. I'm totally jealous of your self control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I can't say that I'm afraid to buy - sometimes it's exactly the opposite. However, I find that while I'll buy papers, ribbons, small stamps and embellies with gay abandon, I am more cautious about buying larger items. I wanted an Ott-lite forever and finally bought one when they were on sale and I had a gift card to help defray the cost. I also spent a long time contemplating a Cuttlebug and even longer before I bought my first nesties. Being afraid to buy all the latest and greatest is not a bad thing IMO, as long as you don't let it stop you from being creative and enjoying your hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I don't use stamps or color anything, instead use some real cute art from PC Hug Club, is that okay with Split Coast Stampers if I put them in a gallery. The reason I don't stamp and color is I don't have stopping sense and k now it. Plus, do not have room to put anything else in my half closet where I store my goodies. Is that acceptable here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
I can't say that I'm afraid to buy - sometimes it's exactly the opposite. However, I find that while I'll buy papers, ribbons, small stamps and embellies with gay abandon, I am more cautious about buying larger items.
I'm the same way. I *just* got my first Nestabilities a few weeks ago. And I *adore* them! The Big Shot I use is my mom's, but it's here in my studio and I doubt she'll take it away. There's nothing I really covet right now, thankfully. Oh, except a cuttlebug alphabet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=krystie lee;10890722]I don't think you should push yourself to make any purchases. For me, if I buy something without being totally sure that I'll like it or use it, it sits unopened forever.

Regarding hoarding, use it up! There will always be something newer, prettier, and that you'll want more than what you have now. Use your stash and enjoy it![/QUOTE]

I so agree with this! I am guilty of hoarding as well. I buy, and buy stuff, but I don't want to use my only piece of Berry Bliss flowered paper (or whatever). Now, I have come to realize that it does me no good to keep it on the shelf. Whether I make a card to send, swap, or give away, I enjoy using it, and once it's gone, I will forget I had it, and never miss it. In fact, I have so much paper, I can't even remember what I bought. So, starting a few months ago, I pull out what I love, and use it while I'm thinking about it. If I send it to a friend, it makes me happy to give it to them, even if they don't save it forever.
As Krystie Lee said, there will always be something newer and prettier (or at least as pretty) to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I know it should be used, but I still don't like to part with my stash. However, it's taken me years to learn, and I don't buy things now unless I can picture instantly a way in which I'd like to use it, and I don't buy nearly as much stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

These days, I don't let myself see something and want it, I have to see it used in a card or layout and know that I would use it in one of my cards or layouts before I get it. Then I find myself getting it and using it.

My Other Hobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #18  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dowaadittyView Post
I don't use stamps or color anything, instead use some real cute art from PC Hug Club, is that okay with Split Coast Stampers if I put them in a gallery. The reason I don't stamp and color is I don't have stopping sense and k now it. Plus, do not have room to put anything else in my half closet where I store my goodies. Is that acceptable here?
Of course it's just fine!! I just looked at your gallery, and even made a comment - your cards are just gorgeous!!! Any kind of a card or scrapping item etc is welcome - welcome here!!

Good for you to know if you don't have stopping sense!! I need to get myself some of that!!

Great job and welcome to split coast!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I have been known to go to Michael's all happy that I have a 40% off coupon to use and get so excited about so many different things, and put all this stupid pressure on myself to get the best deal that I frequently end up leavig with nothing. Do not feel bad, you are not alone.

I try to tell myself life is short, not to take everything so seriously, not to get upset if something goes on sale after I buy it, and stop hoarding and USE the good stuff (I want to market a tee shirt for crafters that says "Life is Short - USE THE GOOD STUFF!!"). Now if only I can practice what I preach...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I've done that, tickled and can't wait to get to Michael's with the coupon, spend 1 1/2 looking for something real good to buy, and buy a spool of $1.00 ribbon. Then go and spend $12.00 without a coupon on the S.E.I. Pads of paper at Michaels.

Where is the best place to buy nice paper, but cheap to make cards with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Deborah, thank you very very much. I've found a home for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just love it here there is so much talent, and so many people to talk to anytime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dowaadittyView Post
Where is the best place to buy nice paper, but cheap to make cards with?

Stampin' Up. It's really good, heavy cardstock. And reasonably priced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mztamelaView Post
I always talk myself out of buying it. ?
Now there's a skill you could market! I know I could use lessons in talking out of rather than in to! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

I did get some SU white card stock, and you're right it's very good thick cardstock. Hm.... may need to order some pastel colors, and maybe some earthtone colors, and maybe some metallics since the holidays are coming up.
Well, off to shop, thanks for the encouragement!
Reply With Quote Likes