Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About the Favorites threads -- comments & questions

I'm starting this separate thread for chatter about the Favorites threads so that we don't hijack the actual threads themselves.

For those who are new, there are two Sticky threads at the top of this forum. One is the regular Favorites, and the other is CAS (Clean and Simple) Favorites, usually hosted by LateBlossom. These threads are a weekly tradition around here. They highlight some of the outstanding uploads to the SCS Gallery each week. If you don't have time to browse the Gallery daily, these threads are a way to see what you've missed.

In my next post, I'll explain a tip that relates to some PMs I've received. Do you have any questions or comments about the Favorites? This is the place to post them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default How to search a Favorites thread

Karen (k dunbrook) has been leaving comments to let people know when their cards are mentioned in the CAS Favorites threads. That's a great idea, much appreciated, and I'm trying to do the same for the regular Favorites.

Let's say that you find out your card is mentioned. (We can all dream, right? :rolleyes By the time you check the thread, there are hundreds of links and you don't know where yours is. Here's how to find it:

1. Click on the Favorites thread to load it.
  2. Scroll to the top of the screen and click the drop-down box for "Search this Thread."
  3. Type in your screen name and click the "Go" button.

Since most of the Favorites links include screen names, you'll probably get a search result for the specific post that mentions yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Dirty Dozen Alumni and I don't even know the answer to this question - thank you for posting this!

Can anyone do a favorite's list? or are there only a certain few who are "allowed"?

My Gallery
Proud Dirty Dozen Alumni!
Proud DT Member for CAS-ual Fridays Stamps
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggetteView Post
I'm a Dirty Dozen Alumni and I don't even know the answer to this question - thank you for posting this!

Can anyone do a favorite's list? or are there only a certain few who are "allowed"?
Hi, Bonnie --

Anyone can post links in the Favorites theads, and everyone is encouraged to do so. The more people participate, the more interesting they are. If I'm understanding your question, though, you're asking about who actually starts or hosts the threads. I don't know about before my time in the forum, but I can answer from my experience.

Last month, the person who used to traditionally start the regular Favorites threads posted that she was not able to continue. I looked forward to reading those threads each week, and I missed them when they didn't appear. In some other forums, recurring threads are left up to whoever happens to be online at the time to start them. That results in either missing posts or duplicate threads, and a lot of confusion.

I was hoping someone would take over the responsibility for hosting the regular Favorites here, and then I realized that probably a lot of others felt the same way and were waiting for someone else to do it. So, I checked with a mod, then contacted Lydia (Understandblue), and volunteered. It wasn't any complicated process. I asked, she said yes.

Lydia sets the two current threads as Stickies so that they are easier to find. I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to add their Favorites links each week. Although it only takes one person to start a thread, it takes a community effort to make them worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll contact Susan (LateBlossom) to see whether she can tell us how the CAS Favorites started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
I'll contact Susan (LateBlossom) to see whether she can tell us how the CAS Favorites started.
Very interesting thread....
I think LateBlossom thought there were so many great cas cards getting missed or not mentioned in the regular favourites thread, that she set out to make a place where they could be recognized. Just before that, Jen got permission to start the cas challenge every Monday here. Since many of the cas cards are not multi-layered and full of embellishments, it gave the others here that love the cas 'style' a place to come and see some great cards.
I always took time to look at the cas favourites every Sunday and so many people never ever realized that their card had been mentioned so I took it upon myself to let them know....I think it really brightens a person's day to know that their card has been recognized. I figure LateBlossom spends time looking in the gallery to post and get the thread started that it is the least I can do to pitch in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks, Judi, for the heads up on this discussion and for getting it started in the first place!

The CAS favorites thread was started a while back for several reasons.

Two years ago, trends in stamping had moved increasingly away from clean-and-simple style with increasing emphasis on layers, product, embellishments, and shaded coloring (with prismas and gamsol or Copics). With this proliferation of product, daily uploads to the gallery increased greatly, and in a development that should surprise no one, those uploads were using the new products and techniques lavishly.

The highly embellished style is absolutely stunning, but it's not for everyone, just as some people prefer to decorate their homes in Victorian style and others in Japanese minimalist style. I firmly believe that all styles are rich in beauty and inspiration, but each of us usually gravitates toward a particular style that reflects our creative impulse.

Because I am boldly CAS and not afraid to celebrate it (LOL!), several people sent me PMs asking me to start a weekly CAS favorites thread. I thought this was a GREAT idea, and so it was started simply to augment the regular favorites thread. The CAS favorites thread is is in NO WAY a judgment on other styles, simply a place where those of us who crave white space and simplicity can go each week for a collection of cards that fulfill that craving.

It's also a gateway for newcomers to gain confidence and then springboard to other styles to find their own happy place, too.

Frankly, I'm amazed that there aren't more specialized favorites threads out there. The wonderful blessing we have as stampers is a huge range of products, tools, and manufacturers to spur on creativity in ALL STYLES, and as SCS has expanded, it has become harder to navigate the hugeness of it.

I start the CAS thread each week only because it's easier and less confusing to have one person start it, just like Judi said. But if someone else wanted to start it, or even set up a team to rotate months or such, I'd be game for that. It's not MY thread. I just get it going.

As for who can post on the favorites thread...EVERYONE is invited to share on both the favorites threads. Judi is right. Once a favorites thread gets started, the more people who share and participate, the more fun it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
Very interesting thread....
I always took time to look at the cas favourites every Sunday and so many people never ever realized that their card had been mentioned so I took it upon myself to let them know....I think it really brightens a person's day to know that their card has been recognized. I figure LateBlossom spends time looking in the gallery to post and get the thread started that it is the least I can do to pitch in.
Karen, we ALL appreciate your thoughfulness in doing this. It takes a lot of time and effort, and you are such a sweetheart to have thought to do this in the first place! Big, big internet hugs!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #9  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

I try to check out the fave threads, because there is so much to miss through out the week- however, I do not like them stickied.
just my .02.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #10  

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Karen, we ALL appreciate your thoughfulness in doing this. It takes a lot of time and effort, and you are such a sweetheart to have thought to do this in the first place! Big, big internet hugs!!!!!!!!

Awww....I'm blushing but sending cyber hugs right back to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Karen and Susan, thanks for explaining about the CAS Favorites. I know people appreciate all the time and effort you both put into them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
I try to check out the fave threads, because there is so much to miss through out the week- however, I do not like them stickied.
just my .02.
AJ, I'm glad you mentioned that. I am not used to having them stickied, either, and haven't decided whether or not I like the idea. The Favorites threads don't have important information about how the forum operates, and we aren't all in the habit of checking for ordinary threads in that position.

Earlier, the regular Favorites threads were getting lost and dropping down to page 2 in the forum listing, where people overlooked them. There was some discussion about that, and I assume they are now sticky to keep them always on page 1 and easier to find. Another advantage of a sticky is that it's convenient to refer to, for discussions like this one or for answering people's questions in PMs.

It's fine with me whichever way they go, sticky or not, but I am not the one who makes that decision. IMO, the choice should be made in terms of what is easiest and makes the most sense for newcomers. Those of us who have been around longer can adapt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I like them being stickies. It happened while I was away on holidays, and when I came back I thought what a good idea. It might encourage people to add to them during the week instead of just at the weekend, too, when they are easy to find and it doesn't mean checking through two or three pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Just wanted to pop in and say how much I love both of the favorites threads and how much enjoyment there is in being on the giving side or the receiving side of a shout-out!

I remember the first time a card of mine was mentioned I felt that I was finally on my way to becoming a "real" stamper, and it's so much fun to give that validation to other stampers.

They're also great for those weeks when I don't have any gallery gazing time (what sad weeks those are). And I also wanted to mention that Lydia (Understandblue) does a great job of highlight awesome cards on the Splitcoast facebook page. The link is on the left of every Splitcoast page, the one that says "Become a Facebook Fan" (you don't have to be a FB member to view the page). [edited to add: I typed this before I checked out the page today to see one of my cards posted!! Aw, warm fuzzies! Thanks, Lydia!!!]

And one little side note (although this created a bit of a scuffle one week, so I almost hate to bring it up)...it makes the thread much cleaner and easier to read if you don't "quote" the entire post to thank someone. You can either thank them by name or you can delete all of their quoted post in your reply except for your card link. Just a suggestion.

Thanks again to those that started these threads, those that keep them going, and those that add their favorites!

Last edited by mtgchic; 10-11-2010 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: awkwardness and warm fuzzies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Judi, for starting this particular thread. I am still learning things! I didn't know I could check out the fan of facebook page without being on facebook. Thanks for that information. And as I did, I see yet more that our dear Lydia does in a day! Wow, you are amazing.

Karen, I have appreciated your nice little comments to let us know we have been mentioned in the favorites page. That 'extra mile' kind of thing is another thing I love about our family here.

And yes, I also like it best when a thank you is posted without the entire message being quoted. It takes longer to load a page of quotes... or it seems like it. So I think that is an important thing we can all do differently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #15  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Karen and Susan, thanks for explaining about the CAS Favorites. I know people appreciate all the time and effort you both put into them.

AJ, I'm glad you mentioned that. I am not used to having them stickied, either, and haven't decided whether or not I like the idea. The Favorites threads don't have important information about how the forum operates, and we aren't all in the habit of checking for ordinary threads in that position.

Earlier, the regular Favorites threads were getting lost and dropping down to page 2 in the forum listing, where people overlooked them. There was some discussion about that, and I assume they are now sticky to keep them always on page 1 and easier to find. Another advantage of a sticky is that it's convenient to refer to, for discussions like this one or for answering people's questions in PMs.

It's fine with me whichever way they go, sticky or not, but I am not the one who makes that decision. IMO, the choice should be made in terms of what is easiest and makes the most sense for newcomers. Those of us who have been around longer can adapt.
Oh, I'll get over it! I can definitely adapt, I'm just not used to it!! ;)

It just opens the door to other threads getting stickied and cluttering up the forum, kwim?

Don't get me wrong, I love both fave threads, I just know how to "look" for them and can always find them.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I just want to throw a shout out and a huge "thank you" tosmitty2004 for keeping the regular favorites thread going for so long! We all benefited from seeing those favs each week and I hope things are going better in her life! Stamping sisters support each other through thick and thin and we'll be happy to have her back when she is able!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,043 Likes on 787 Posts

I love the favorites thread, but I must admit, it really gets bogged down with those 'favorited' thanking those that 'favorited' them! I get the whole appreciation thing...I know it's exciting to be fav'd, but it really makes it take longer to get thru the whole list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry sermanView Post
I love the favorites thread, but I must admit, it really gets bogged down with those 'favorited' thanking those that 'favorited' them! I get the whole appreciation thing...I know it's exciting to be fav'd, but it really makes it take longer to get thru the whole list.
Yes it does!
At the very least if people wouldn't quote like a PP mentioned that would help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
I just want to throw a shout out and a huge "thank you" tosmitty2004 for keeping the regular favorites thread going for so long! We all benefited from seeing those favs each week and I hope things are going better in her life! Stamping sisters support each other through thick and thin and we'll be happy to have her back when she is able!

YES!!!!! I totally agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post

I'll second that!! Smitty2004 did a great job - I've missed her these past few weeks and really hope things are getting better for her.
Reply With Quote Likes