Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I mostly make square cards as I became really comfortable with this shape/size - some are 5" x 5" or 6" x 6" - and I found it so easy to "balance" cards of this size with various embellishments and different layouts. I lean more towards the UK-style of cards - many of which are square. But recently I have been trying to use A2 sized cards (well, the Australian equivalent which has slightly different measurements) to challenge myself with this size and BOY, have I found it hard! It DOES seem so small in comparison to my square cards and I have really, really struggled with layouts and balancing everything so that I am happy - and at times it has done my head in and I have had to put the card aside in frustration! I really didn't think I would struggle so much but that's what a challenge is, isn't it?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #42  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually just make A2 sized cards, although occasionally I will make a larger or smaller one. I also rarely make my own card bases, as there are so many wonderful pre-made ones to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #43  
Glitter Queen

I too make A-2 for all of the reasons above. Plus that's what I was taught on. And the square ones cost more to send in the mail and the smaller ones can't be sent. AND, most of the tutorials are for that size. And one more - you can make it horizontal or vertical. You can also cut the paper lengthwise so you have a smaller space to wrap ribbon or twine around. Nothing against other cards, and I applaud everyone's creativity; I just do what I know
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

And now I know why the cards Betsy Wilson creates on her videos are so large!
I've made cards ranging from 3x3 to 8.5x5.5, but stick mostly with A2 or A6. I have to be honest, A2 is so much easier for me to design/decorate/embellish - white space still scares me a bit, although others do it beautifully!
QFTD 258
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Here in uk there seems to be more variation in card sizes. I've made small square cards (4"), a6 (similar to US a2), 5" square, 6" square, 5"x7" and a5 (not sure what the equivalent is in the US but it's basically a piece of card folded in half - 8.25"x5.75" approx)

8"x8" cards are also popular over here but they do incur a higher rate of postage.

Our issue over here is more to do with the thickness of the card. To qualify for standard postage, nationally and internationally, it has to be 5mm thick or less (1/5"). That's difficult to achieve!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 AM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I feel most comfortable with the 5 x 6.5" cards from HL. It's not difficult to fill up a card. You can add a lot of layers. And there's plenty of room for white space. Not every inch has be filled up.

I don't care if there is some waste. In the scheme of things, paper is pretty inexpensive. And all those scraps can be used in another project.
We just have to keep in mind that the pre-packs at the box stores are often not standard sizes-like this HL one mentioned. It doesnt really matter imho, just have to know-I was caught off guard at first and could not understand why the dims on demos were not working on my cards! :oops: I never understood why they do that!?

For other beginners like me:

A2 4.25 x 5.5
A6 4.5 x 6.25
A7 5 x 7
A8 5.25 x 7.875
A9 5.5 x 8.5 (an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet folded in half)
A10 5.57 x 9.25

So if you mess up the envelope you cant just switch out with a standard you have lying around. Well you could, but you know what I mean.

I know I am still struggling with CAS and a lot of white field...so for me, a smaller card is helpful right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Echoing what others have said, I like A2 because I can make two card bases out of one 8.5x11 sheet of cardstock. I actually love square cards too, but the postage is more in the US.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

I have made A2 sized cards almost exclusively until this past year, when I had a request for larger cards so that the person could send photographs in with their cards. A2 is just slightly too small for the standard 4X6 picture that many people print out. So, I started working with 5X7. I have found that I can use more techniques that with the smaller A2 and have more flexibility with them, but I am not abandoning A2 completely. They are still more economical because of the ability to get two from 1 piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

To echo what many of you have said, I mainly make A2 cards also. And because you can get two cards from one sheet of cs, and many of the stamps lend themselves so well to that size. In the past several years I find myself making more and more A6 cards (4.5 x 6.25). Some of the larger stamps are perfect for this size, but too small for the A2. I love making square cards too, but hardly ever do unless I am hand delivering, because of the extra postage it requires. But I never thought to put in the larger 5x7 size envelope...................good idea, good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have made very few 5 x 7 cards as they seem SO huge and I have trouble making the design work. The other issue when making cards larger than A2, many embossing folders are not sized for larger cards. Some of the companies are finally making some folders larger to accommodate A6 cards at least. But in the end, it's all a matter of preference. Happy stamping everyone
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #50  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I make 99% A2. My second fav is 5.25 x 5.25. I order white envelope by the 4000 or 5000 so I always have what I need in these two sizes. Since I donate most of my cards I try to stick with sizes that I carry the clear envelopes for. My third fav is 6 x 6.
Blessings.
The 5.25 x 5.25 size is nice, but you have to add extra postage to send it because it is a square. But to attach to gifts, that is a nice size because you can add a little more embellishments than the smaller cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to repeat what someone else on this thread has mentioned - you can mail your square cards in a rectangular envelope and avoid the extra postage charges

If you check out the card displays at stores, they include rectangular envelopes with their square cards; they glue together the extra section of envelope so that the card doesn't slide around in the envelope.

Some time back, Julie Ebersole had instructions on her blog for embellishing a regular A2 envelope to mail a 4.25" square card. She punched a shape out of the end of the envelope and slid in a piece of patterned paper that was glued on the edges and it was adorable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

If embossing folders have a repeating pattern it is pretty easy line them up, I do it all the time. It just takes another pass or two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Some time back, Julie Ebersole had instructions on her blog for embellishing a regular A2 envelope to mail a 4.25" square card. She punched a shape out of the end of the envelope and slid in a piece of patterned paper that was glued on the edges and it was adorable.
I had never seen this done but LOVE this idea! I searched and found Julie's blog post describing this technique (for others like me who need visuals to understand the concept )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

And if you really want to branch out... how about a letter size card. You know the business envelope size - you can cut the flap off and use it as a layer. I've been thinking about this size for Christmas, will have to check if there are any funny postage costs especially for International.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I usually make A2 cards for all the reasons already posted. But I recently had to do some wedding cards and I opted to go with 5x7 for those and I really enjoyed working with that size! Mainly because the money inside didn't have to be folded to fit ;) Those envelopes aren't difficult to find, but since I have the envelope punch board, it wouldn't matter.

A few years back I had quite a parade of graduation cards to make, and I made those into long rectangles that fit into a #10 business envelope, again to make it easy to hold money. Sometimes it's just fun to play around with different sizes and dimensions.
What paper do you use to make you own envelopes? I have made some odd-ball sizes and larger cards in the past and have had trouble finding a nice paper to use. I did buy a roll of white that I like, but a roll is a pain to work with. I don't want decorative paper---just plain white or cream.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

I have been using an on-line store called Office Express, Inc for envelopes lately. They have every size imaginable (no, not the giant ones the UK favors lol) and in several different qualities of paper and most in a choice of colors. Price varies depending on the quantity. Our Staples does not carry many sizes, so this may be an option for those of you in a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #57  
Proud Fan Club Member

A couple of online sources for envelopes...

People have mentioned they like The Paper Source:

Paper Source Stationery Stores | Wedding Invitations, Envelopes

they might be a bit expensive.

There is a place called The Paper Cut-they do packs for LS's so the store can put their own name on it. But you can order direct and I have seen them at conventions.

The Paper Cut

They have a gazillion types of pre-cut cards, weights, colors, envelopes, and usually stuff on good sales. My only complaint with them was at the show they didnt know the weight of the paper which I thought was very weird. But they were VERY nice people to talk to and really did try to help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #58  
Proud Fan Club Member

This is a place I go to in person by me-I just realized they have an online site too...not as much as the store-they get a lot of discontinued lots of envelopes and stuff so you can get good deals in person. Also have a lot of variety in terms of sizes.

JAM Paper: Envelopes, Paper & Office Supplies in Every Color
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #59  
Kookie Creator

I started doing A7 cards but recently started making A2's. Making A2's was a good way to use up my small scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by octoberbabeView Post
The other issue when making cards larger than A2, many embossing folders are not sized for larger cards. Some of the companies are finally making some folders larger to accommodate A6 cards at least.
Except when I almost exclusively make A2 sized cards and didn't realize that an embossing folder I bought was larger. :( It wouldn't be a big deal on a "background style" folder, but this folder has some type of border won't fit on my regular sized cards. :( I can't even remember what the folder is right now because I've never used it for that reason.
Reply With Quote Likes