Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Year old Birthday Party

My daughters birthday is coming up, and instead of forking out tons of money to go somewhere, I thought it would be fun to do a girly craft at home, but for the life of me can't think of anything??? Any ideas for an easy craft for 5-6 year old girls?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just helped my sister do a Fancy Nancy tea party for my niece's 6th birthday. It was a bit overboard (okay, a lot), but here's what we did. We had the craft of having the girls decorate their own hats. We found Easter hats at Dollar Tree and added in foam letters, flowers, etc... (prior to the party I made sacks with each girl's name and some embellishments - it really sped things up). The girls decorated their own hats and even added ribbon. We also had a face painting table (where my sister and the girl's Kindergarten student teacher who they LOVE) painted faces. We also had a "fancy" table where they could accessorize ala Fancy Nancy style. My sister borrowed some dress up accessories from another mom and my aunt brought lots of her own accessories that she didn't care if she got back. The girls also came to the party in "Fancy" attire, so the table was to help them add just a little flourish (and to help any girls that forgot). Lastly, we had "fancy" food and "plain" food - they were basically the same thing, only one had more "flair." For example, we had finger sandwiches and the fancy ones were cut out with cookie cutters and the plain ones were just cut with a knife to cut the bread in half. Same with pretzels - the fancy ones were the knot shaped ones and the plain ones were sticks. The girls had a blast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

That Fancy Nancy party sounds FANTASTIC - any 6 yearold would love to have that party!! I love the Fancy Nancy books.
I will give some less "fancy" ideas...lol. I just spent the weekend crafting with my 6 year old niece - probably her favorite thing was for me to just put out a bunch of rhinestones, die cuts in patterned paper, markers, ribbon and stickers. This might be a good opportunity for you to get rid of older stickers and patterned paper you don't use anymore. Then she made cards, and decorated some of those Paper Shapes from Michaels. I think to translate this into a birthday party I would get some $1 wooden frames from Michaels and some different Paper Shapes or mini album pages - flowers, butterflys, birds, cherries, scottie dogs, guitars etc.... - have them decorate those - then before everyone goes home have another adult in the home print off a group shot for everyone to put in their frame or on their Paper Shape - or a one on one picture with the bday girl, the guest and the gift from that guest. I have noticed with my niece she enjoys the have it - not to much guidance form Auntie. Michaels also has some cute American Girl scrapbook stuff - not sure of the price on all that or if it would fit with your party. I am sure your daughter will have a greats party and hope you get lots of ideas. My baby just turned 18 - she got a tattoo for her birthday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Thanks for the ideas guys...it got my mind thinking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That was a long time ago for my kids, lol (before I got into stamping). One year my oldest DD was really into 101 Dalmations. We made sock puppet dalmations with felt, ribbon, etc. and I did a "pin the spot on the dalmation" game by enlarging a coloring book page. I know there were other things that I can't remember any more. Have fun whatever you do!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I just posted a fun project to make fairy wands. If your daughter likes fairies, this might be a fun theme...

Another thing that I have done for my girls' birthday parties are paper dolls. There are some fun paper doll stamps available that have an outline of a head, body, arms and legs. I stamp them on manila file folders so they are stiff and flexible but still easy for younger hands to cut out. Then the girls can draw faces, make clothes with paper/fabric scraps, make hair, etc. This will occupy them for at least an hour or longer. My girls (now ages 7-12) have been making them for a few years now and really enjoy them.

Have fun!!

my blog: ::::::::::::::::www.amusenews.typepad.com::::::::::::::::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

My daughter (15 @ the time) and I helped a friend with her 10 yr old daughter's bday and we did "glamour shots"...before and after. We did hair, makeup and a snazzy dollar store feather boa...was a blast, lots of glitter flying!

Also have done a girl scout project with stamping/painting a white pillow case for each girl.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Also, they sell that plastic lace at the stores, kids weave that into bracelets and such but it works great for simple jewelry for kids and theres all sorts of adorable plastic beads that are vary reasonable, in large tubs that have large holes which makes them easy to put on this lace. (string or fishing line is too hard for small kids)

Holley
a new project everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had a teddy bear tea party for my 5 year old and her friends. Very similar to the Fancy Nancy party up there ^. I cut out a bunch of bears and bear clothes using the SU Build-A-Bear dies. The girls had a great time dressing up their paper bears. We also made a cute little mini album with the Build-A-Bear stamp set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

My daughter had a 'sweet treat' party. She was a bit older (8th birthday), but I think some of the activities would work really well. We made jelly bean barrettes (glued jelly beans to barrettes I found at the dollar store), played "Sweet Bingo" - I found a site that lets you make your own bingo cards, and we used jelly beans as place markers. Then, we baked and decorated cupcakes. We also had a scavenger hunt, in two teams. I hid a cake pan, baking sheet, whisk, measuring cups and spoons. I had a bunch of other baking/candy making activities planned, but we ran out of time, and the kids had a blast! Oh, and I found aprons at Michael's that, along with the treats they made became their loot bags.

Last edited by Jana Z; 04-18-2010 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: added more!
Reply With Quote Likes