Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh, wait, I posted before I read the post about ethics and all of that...oh, I would never hold them to that...I mean a boo boo is a boo boo. Well, at least an in print boo boo. Not trying to get anything started...sorry..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #42  
One TOT Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SellsBskts
Oh, wait, I posted before I read the post about ethics and all of that...oh, I would never hold them to that...I mean a boo boo is a boo boo. Well, at least an in print boo boo. Not trying to get anything started...sorry..
You and I were typing at the same time. Totally not directed at you. There is a difference between wishing and actively trying to make SU honor an innocent mistake that was not even in their advertising and bashing them if they do not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

I might be wrong, but I don't see how it would be financially feasible. Maybe I am a dork. Well, okay, I am a dork, but it seems like one of those WOW factors if they did that...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, if SU would have to honor that goof, then why don't I have that Viking desk for $3.96???????? Somebody should tell them they have to honor that mistake...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Betsy,

I just LOL so hard, I almost spit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlett75
I hope you're not implying that people who expect a company to honor their bad editing are unethical? Honestly, I ran across this error and contacted my demo early, early this morning--- before I even ran across it here. I can totally understand protecting your employer... I truly do. And, you're an extremely loyal employee if you would suggest that anyone expecting them to honor their advertising is somehow trying to take advantage. But, the truth is, businesses are held to a very high standard in their advertising. Knowing that this has happened before makes it even worse...although, just from the newbie POV: the march sale was only related to their mini-catalog. You couldn't just buy "any current catalog stamp" for 50% off. I'm surprised their wasn't a squawk over THAT potentially damaging slip of semantics. Ads must be VERY specific when you are dealing with FTC rules. SU needs to hire a new ad editor if they make these kinds of mistakes routinely.

All I'm saying is, before you rush to judge the motives of others, maybe you should stop and recognize that most people aren't out to "take advantage" of SU. I know I'm not. However, I know what's been posted on their website for over 12 hours now. Even if it is Sunday, someone is supposed to be held responsible 24/7 for making sure these types of errors are recanted. Hundreds of companies make mistakes weekly...why should SU be exempt from the reprocussions of their mistakes?

*hopes that I don't get clobbered for posting this*

EDIT: Here's what the FTC says:
"Sellers are responsible for claims they make about their products and services. Third parties�such as advertising agencies or web site designers and catalog marketers�also may be liable for making or disseminating deceptive representations if they participate in the preparation or distribution of the advertising, or know about the deceptive claims. "

"Advertising agencies or web site designers are responsible for reviewing the information used to substantiate ad claims. They may not simply rely on an advertiser�s assurance that the claims are substantiated."
This really isn't a false advertising issue at all. I dabble in webdesigning and can tell you that SU! never claimed falsly or not that they were offering 50% off current sets. That "Title" bar is what you name the webpage. Right now, my title bar says "Splitcoaststampers - Reply to Topic - Microsoft Internet Explorer". It is just what the webdesigner chooses to title the page. The designer probably forgot to retitle the page as retired list blah, blah. It is not considered part of the webpage content. Either way, it probably does not apply to advertising the retired list as 50% off as they are no longer current, as the title bar suggests. I really hope you all take this into perspective. What a mountain from mole hill! also hopes she doesn't get clobbered but sheesh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

I don't have my viking desk either!! That is hilarious - I spit too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Hey, Typos and Goofs happen all the time.... how many times have you gone to the grocery and see a notice explaining the Sunday ad paper was incorrect on the sale price of thus and such... they publish a correction or retraction and everything is fine.

I am sure my company decided to honor the few mistakes because
a) only a couple customers discovered it
b) it was a customer satisfaction issue and we didn't want to lose customers
c) no one was trying to take advantage of our company... only the good deal

and besides... fortunately for us in our mistakes we weren't giving away the store.... the company wasn't a risk of losing its shirt for the errors... or I am sure the policy would have been different!

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Very well put AmandaMay!! I'm definitely with you on that one. It just amazes me sometimes!!
Years ago we went to have Thanksgiving dinner at my brother in laws house. The men were outside doing something, and it was just me and my sister in law. I told her that the turkey smelled delicious, and she said, "thanks. We're not going to like it, though." I said, "What?" She said, "The company selling the turkey gives a 100% satisfaction or your money back guarantee. If they are stupid enough to do that, then I'm not going to like it. So we're eating free turkey." She just said this very matter of factly, with no real expression on her face. I am just as shocked now as I was then. It never fails to surprise/disappoint me how people will take advantage like that.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm_donahoe
This really isn't a false advertising issue at all. I dabble in webdesigning and can tell you that SU! never claimed falsly or not that they were offering 50% off current sets. That "Title" bar is what you name the webpage. Right now, my title bar says "Splitcoaststampers - Reply to Topic - Microsoft Internet Explorer". It is just what the webdesigner chooses to title the page. The designer probably forgot to retitle the page as retired list blah, blah. It is not considered part of the webpage content. Either way, it probably does not apply to advertising the retired list as 50% off as they are no longer current, as the title bar suggests. I really hope you all take this into perspective. What a mountain from mole hill! also hopes she doesn't get clobbered but sheesh!

Look. I'm not claiming that people should get a discount. I'm just stating what is law and what is not. I wouldn't take advantage of this, but if someone else wanted to...they would be within their rights as a customer of stampin' up.

My main point is that SU really needs to be more careful. End of story. If others want to take what I said and make me an "unethical" person, well, then they really don't know me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

I am certain it's a glitch too!!! We don't have any information about it on the demo site. I am pretty sure it's an error!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #52  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm_donahoe
I never said it was false advertising. I said SU needed to be more careful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #53  
The Digi-Freak

I think it was a mistake. They've done it before, so it is obviously an area they need to look at.

But I do think it would be unethical to take advantage of it.

I once got a refund check for $999 instead of $9.99 (for an EPT that didn't work! it didn't give me any lines at all). We had exactly $1000 on our credit card at the moment, and I was sooooo tempted to use that to pay off our debt. But I didn't.

I would rather sleep soundly at night than get a good deal and feel guilty.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Here's something interesting...
For those of you who can't see it, if you print the page, you can read it very clearly. Its right there in black and white at the top of the page: "50 Percent Off Current-Catalog Stamp Sets"

~Michelle Z.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Funny thing..I did see that last night (and didn't even give it a second thought) but now I don't see it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #56  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlett75
Knowing that this has happened before makes it even worse...although, just from the newbie POV: the march sale was only related to their mini-catalog. You couldn't just buy "any current catalog stamp" for 50% off. I'm surprised their wasn't a squawk over THAT potentially damaging slip of semantics. Ads must be VERY specific when you are dealing with FTC rules. SU needs to hire a new ad editor if they make these kinds of mistakes routinely
The March 50% off was on CURRENT catty sets (ie: Shapes & Shadows, Summer by the Sea, Stipple Celebrations, Lovely as a Tree, Sincere Salutations, Something to Celebrate). All these sets are still current and are also not on the retiring list.

Just wanted to clarify that while mistakes happen - the 50% off was advertised correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #57  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin3
The March 50% off was on CURRENT catty sets (ie: Shapes & Shadows, Summer by the Sea, Stipple Celebrations, Lovely as a Tree, Sincere Salutations, Something to Celebrate). All these sets are still current and are also not on the retiring list.

Just wanted to clarify that while mistakes happen - the 50% off was advertised correctly.
See. As a newbie to SU, I didn't know that's how they categorized things. But, that makes sense now. Obviously, they need to hire someone to double-check things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #58  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in Okc
Very well put AmandaMay!! I'm definitely with you on that one. It just amazes me sometimes!!
Years ago we went to have Thanksgiving dinner at my brother in laws house. The men were outside doing something, and it was just me and my sister in law. I told her that the turkey smelled delicious, and she said, "thanks. We're not going to like it, though." I said, "What?" She said, "The company selling the turkey gives a 100% satisfaction or your money back guarantee. If they are stupid enough to do that, then I'm not going to like it. So we're eating free turkey." She just said this very matter of factly, with no real expression on her face. I am just as shocked now as I was then. It never fails to surprise/disappoint me how people will take advantage like that.

Erin
I agree. As soon as I read the first couple posts....it reminded me of people who sue to sue. It seemed like every day for awhile, there was a story about someone suing for something very trivial.

While I know this is a different situation - it still reminded me of it. Like taking advantage of the system because "you can" attitude.

Not trying to be snarky - just my thoughts as I read through this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Default UGhHH!

I have had several customers e-mail about this so far. It's also on the top of the scrapbooking special flyer so it appears as though we're promoting this on all of our flyers. If you can't see it, click the special on SU's website and then click print preview on you computer and you will see it. I may have to turn down a $400.00 order from one customer who wants a ton of stuff because of the "50% off sale!" I'm sure it's a mistake but yikes!!

Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #60  
Gabfest Goddess

No doubt this will be fixed tomorrow morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #61  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Well, at least you can all be proud of the fact that you aren't "nitpicking" the issue! It is an oversight, and probably will be resolved in the morning. I can see why people think this site has gotten so negative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #62  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgkrupsky
I have had several customers e-mail about this so far. It's also on the top of the scrapbooking special flyer so it appears as though we're promoting this on all of our flyers. If you can't see it, click the special on SU's website and then click print preview on you computer and you will see it. I may have to turn down a $400.00 order from one customer who wants a ton of stuff because of the "50% off sale!" I'm sure it's a mistake but yikes!!

Gina
Now THAT is taking advantage of the situation. Making a $400 order because of a potential mistake IS unethical. Simply questioning the mistake is not. I would've turned down her order too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

When I posted the original topic, I had no idea what sort of ideas and thoughts would spring out of it.
First, my mother must have raised a bad seed because here is what I am thinking.
I do not care if it is a "typo". They should honor what they post. I have read it here that "it is just the title of the page" so it should not be construed as an offer. That is called leading! It is illegal! You can not take out an ad in the Sunday paper and say that you are offering a product at 50 % off and when the customer comes into your store say - oh that was a typo. According to Texas state law (I am not sure about other states) you must at least have 50% of inventory for on sale advertised items. That means that SU! could say that only 50% of those sets are on sale not all.
When I went and pulled up the list that 50% off title bar is the first thing that caught my eye, while I was waiting for the rest of the page to open. My heart was racing and I was drooling. I had to read the flyer ten times.
If in fact they did use the same template, it is from two months ago and big business should have sense to look out for those types of things. I do not in any way see that as taking advantage of a mistake.
I think that it would be good business to honor the deal or some sort of compromise like say for the month of May or whatever. I am sure that SU! will not. Will it deter business, no. Is it going to be tough on demos, yes! I have been getting phone calls and orders via email all day. I have about $1200 total right now. Will these customers keep their orders if the sets are not 50% off, probably not. So, yes I have to admit that the company I demo for made a mistake and we apologize. The end!
It just sucks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestampingstamper
When I posted the original topic, I had no idea what sort of ideas and thoughts would spring out of it.
First, my mother must have raised a bad seed because here is what I am thinking.
I do not care if it is a "typo". They should honor what they post. I have read it here that "it is just the title of the page" so it should not be construed as an offer. That is called leading! It is illegal! You can not take out an ad in the Sunday paper and say that you are offering a product at 50 % off and when the customer comes into your store say - oh that was a typo. According to Texas state law (I am not sure about other states) you must at least have 50% of inventory for on sale advertised items. That means that SU! could say that only 50% of those sets are on sale not all.
When I went and pulled up the list that 50% off title bar is the first thing that caught my eye, while I was waiting for the rest of the page to open. My heart was racing and I was drooling. I had to read the flyer ten times.
If in fact they did use the same template, it is from two months ago and big business should have sense to look out for those types of things. I do not in any way see that as taking advantage of a mistake.
I think that it would be good business to honor the deal or some sort of compromise like say for the month of May or whatever. I am sure that SU! will not. Will it deter business, no. Is it going to be tough on demos, yes! I have been getting phone calls and orders via email all day. I have about $1200 total right now. Will these customers keep their orders if the sets are not 50% off, probably not. So, yes I have to admit that the company I demo for made a mistake and we apologize. The end!
It just sucks!
While I don't think SU needs to go the whole-nine-yards and offer everyone 50% off for the month. I do think, as I've said above, that they bear some responsibility for their mistake. I totally agree that humans make errors. I totally concede that some people will take advantage of the situation. However, my points above were that it doesn't matter if some people take advantage of it... that's also a consequence of dealing with humans - errors and people who take advantage.

Now. Is it morally right for people to buy loads of stuff that they wouldn't have normally bought because it might possibly be 50% off?? I've seen alot of people claim that even *thinking about acting* on that is unethical. Really?? It's unethical to *think* about holding a company responsible? Now, if tomorrow, SU admitted a mistake and said "we're not honoring that", it MIGHT be unethical to pursue the issue further because, as a customer, you didn't actually come to any harm from their mistake. But, what if you were a new customer to SU and imagined this might be just one of their fabulous promos? Then, is it ethically right for SU not to honor that expectation they've created?? All I have been arguing is that it was pretty harsh for some people in here to jump on their high horse and call other people unethical for a "POTENTIAL" behavior when it was the company that made a mistake. I'll shut up now. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #65  
Stampin' Fool

Well said Scarlett75!
I do not think that anyone should judge someone else's "moral" or "ethics". Isn't that in and of itself immoral. :=) Who are we to say that others actions are good or bad. I believe that is up to higher power.

I think that there are a lot of people here who are so quick to jump on their moral high horse and say that others actions are "bad". It is really too bad, but perhaps they have their reasons. I certainly did not mean for my original post to pose such a hot topic. I was just pointing something out and asking a question. I wish that we could just leave morals and ethics out of it. However, that is not human nature.
One thing that I have learned is that there are many loyal SU!ers out there and that they would take the sword for that company. I am a demo too, but it is not my passion. (I am ready for the flames for that one)

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 06:03 AM   #66  
Glitter Queen

ANY WORD ON THE 50% OFF RETIRED STAMPS?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 06:05 AM   #67  
Hardware Hotshot

Edited out... I had the wrong info...

Last edited by amylou; 05-02-2005 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 06:20 AM   #68  
Embossing Fanatic

Red face clarification and SU's official word

I am a very very new demo with SU. I let a bunch of friends know that I had signed up and if they wanted to place an order through me they most certainly could. Yesterday I did get a couple of friends who emailed me about the 50% off deal and I checked it out and printed it off, just so that if anything came of it, I could let them know. I also got on the phone to SU support this morning at 8:00. The first time I called, I was put on hold for 5 minutes and then disconected. I called back and got transferred back to the person I had originally spoken with. She had brought it to her supervisor's attention and it was given an incident code and they were going to look into it. It is not SU's intention to sell the stamps at 50% off and they also pointed out that when you go to the actual listing of the retiring stamp sets it does not have that on the top of that page. They did concede that the cover page before you click on the list page does (or did) have it on there, but since no stamp sets were listed that it didn't apply.

Do with it what you will, I need to find the courage to call the couple of customers that I have and let them know that the retired sets are not 50% off at this point and that they should plan their order accordingly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 06:26 AM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

The 50% off is still there ... but I agree, it's probrably just an error. They "should" be more careful, but apparently someone was not. I don't think anyone is going to profit from this by getting any of these stamps for half price.

Will I buy some if they are 50% off?? Well of course! But I will not be writing them and demanding it.

- Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 06:32 AM   #70  
Hardware Hotshot

It is corrected now and now reads, "Retiring In Style".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 07:08 AM   #71  
Gabfest Goddess

Well, glad that's over! Hopefully not too many people were online yesterday!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 07:47 AM   #72  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Well, if SU would have to honor that goof, then why don't I have that Viking desk for $3.96???????? Somebody should tell them they have to honor that mistake...
I was just thinking the same thing!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 08:03 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

I think, however, the point I would single out is that SU! really needs to buckle down on these errors. It's NOT unethical to expect them to pay for a mistake. Companies have to do that all the time and it's a hard lesson for them to learn.

As a major company, it's THEIR job to edit and proofread their materials before posting it to the web (or printing them...as there were errors in a mini earlier this year). And the retired list is such a MAJOR thing for them. We all rush to see at midnight every May 1 and it's not like they didn't have a while before checking it all out. They've known for months (probably) what they were going to retire.

As a working editor, the lack of accountability and acceptance of mistakes like this are so very frustrating when all it takes is a bit of planning ahead!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #74  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only issue I can see is that 50% off retiring sets is not listed anywhere as part of the advertising promotion piece/flier document itself.

It is a technical error in the page's web address only.

And, therefore, personally, I do not see how anyone could possibly/legitimately lay claim to it being "false advertisement" or anything else for that matter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #75  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
The only issue I can see is that 50% off retiring sets is not listed anywhere as part of the advertising promotion piece/flier document itself.

And, therefore, personally, I do not see how anyone could possibly/legitimately lay claim to it being "false advertisement" or anything else for that matter.
I think it boils down to greed!! Get somethin' for nothin'. "I'll show THEM for makin' a mistake."

sick.

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Stampin' Up! corrected the error. Take a look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #77  
Glitter Queen

I called DS this morning, there were having a problem with their systems. Some computers came up with the 50% off and some didn't. They have since fixed it and will NOT be honoring any 50% orders. The flyer did not mention 50% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #78  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

yup-I agree with you Julie (although that is no surprise.)
I did find it interesting that while yesterday I responded with 2 less than 10 word sentences each somehow I was reading into things or making judgements about others. Want to know about me and my judgements? Well look through 8,000+ posts and then let me know when I implied anything. UGH I saw it as a mistake-just like when I go to teh store sometimes and they have signs up about the flyer mistakes, or when Viking had a desk for $3.96. I thought the less I said about my opinions the better, but apprently I was wrong about that as well. (sorry I was totally sidetracked-my apologies).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimsalsbury
OK, just so we're clear.....we all know that I wrote that with tongue FIMRLY planted in cheek, right? And that we're talkin' about STAMPS, right? Not anything with life or death consequences???? Hello?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #80  
Matboard Maniac

I'm glad SU! fixed THEIR error but I feel sorry for all the demos out there that got calls and orders for the SU! MISTAKE! I was extremely excited yesterday to see the 50% off and had my list ready. But, I guess the saying, "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't" sure was right on in this instance.

I would be happy to work for SU! as a proofreader!!! SU! really needs to be more careful not to upset the customer base.
Reply With Quote Likes