Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 30 minutes in line for airport security

I have never seen a security line like the one yesterday at the Denver airport! There was a line wrapped around the building just to go down the corridor to get to security. The biggest problem were from people who were trying to sneak a bottle of coke or tube of lipgloss in hidden pockets in their carry-ons. 3 of the 5 people just in front of me pretended not to know the guidelines even though they were on huge posters and over head videos running the entire 30 minutes it took for us to get to the security station.

They aren't playing with the size of your carry-on luggage. If it doesn't fit in the bin at the ticket counter, it won't fit in the x-ray machine. And they only allow 1 count that again O-N-E carry-on in addition to your personal item (your purse).

Glad I took a taxi to the airport 3 hours before my flight - they were boarding by the time I got to the gate!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make sure you arrive early for your flight!!

Plan to be at least 3 hours early for your flight! We had massively long lines to get our boarding passes at Denver (we flew United)- there was only *one* agent available to assist with those that *had* to see an agent and could not check in via the computer terminal, and it also took at least 25 minutes to go through security- don't go through the handicapped lane- they move slower than the regular lanes.

If possible, use the curbside check in for baggage so you can avoid the long lines.

We almost missed our flight- they were paging us aand threatening last boarding call... It does take awhile to get from the main area to the terminals and the gates, via the train and the moving sidewalk.

And like dozens of ladies said in other threads, it may take awhile to get to the airport anyways, because the shuttles (both Big Sky and Super Shuttle) do make the rounds to get as many people in the vans as possible (they get paid by the passenger so it is in their interest to fill up the vans)

Have fun at Convention, ladies!

Last edited by Cameldiva; 07-30-2007 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

The gentleman I flew next to said that there were three different places for security so maybe it's just where you were. I was only in line for about 10 minutes and I packed my liquids in the one one-quart bag and had it in the outside pocket. I needed to be prepared to stay over as they were cancelling NWA flights like crazy! If it weren't for that and the fact that I refused to check my swaps and new stamp sets. Clothes can be replaced. Items from Momento mall cannot, easily, be replaced.

Lisa
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him shall have eternal life." John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I flew back yesterday too with the extremely long lines. I think it was a combination of thousands of SU demos flying home, plus LOTS of Mary Kay women flying to Dallas for their Convention. When I landed in Dallas, there were Mary Kay women all over the airport!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

In general, at some airports 30 minutes is not a huge wait. I travel a fair amount for work and have been known to encounter waits in excess of an hour or more for security.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

las vegas beats everywhere for checkin they have it down to a science!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischelle larsonView Post
las vegas beats everywhere for checkin they have it down to a science!!!!
Except not while I was there...my husband who had his wallet pick-pocketed (and therefore had no I.D) and then had to go fill out forms and go upstairs to be questioned, and back downstairs to be searched still beat me through the line....he was seriously complaining that an hour to get through the line (my line) was ridiculous....I have to agree.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah, I thought 30 minutes was pretty good. I used to fly a lot and 30 minutes would be a blessing in security in some airports!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I was one of the random "checks" pulled from the line at 6:00 am yesterday. They were pulling every 6th person, or so. I had to go through the sniffing machine, they made me empty my purse, and when I got home, I had a note in my suitcase that they had also gone through my checked bag. NO KIDDING!!! Everything was tossed. My big bottle of shampoo was gone too. I had wrapped it in a hand towel (brought from home) so it would not leak. I was happy to be home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflathemView Post
My big bottle of shampoo was gone too. I had wrapped it in a hand towel (brought from home) so it would not leak.
Yeah, well, you know how explosive that bottle of shampoo can be.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

30 minutes in the security line is nothing -- it's consistantly an hour in Atlanta during the busy times.

FWIW, Denver has always been picky about the size of your carry-on. DH had trouble there prior to 9/11 because the wheels on his carry-on made it just slightly too big to go through the size thingy they have on their x-ray machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #12  
Kec
Rubber Obsessor

I am glad they are picky about the size of carry ons! It seems unfair when some of us go through the trouble to check our luggage, while others hog bin space and slow up boarding by hauling full-size luggage on the plane.

And yes, I know it takes a long time to claim luggage at the baggage check and yes I have had luggage lost and it is terrible.

But airlines have rules for a reason, and I think it is selfish when people push the limits of the rules for their own convenience.

Oh, and I was in the long long lines at Denver security too. And it didn't make the lines go any faster when people were struggling with what should have been checked baggage!

JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Always travel with a pair of clean underwear and a t shirt in your purse. If they lose your luggage you'll be glad of it. I travel with a BEEG purse. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #14  
Kec
Rubber Obsessor

Oh yeah--I always make sure I have a pair of underwear and of course any medicine in my carry on tote--which fits comfortably under the seat.

And of course, I never check my swaps. You can always buy new clothes--you can't buy new swaps! I pack those into small carry-on #2 that goes in the bin up top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

We flew home today from Denver and everything went very smoothly.

Sue's gallery
www.stampinwithsue.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh my goodness! what time of day were you guys flying out? The Shuttle driver at Super Shuttle told us to plan to meet the shuttle 3 hours prior to departure but we figured that it wouldn't be "that bad" however I did hang around the airport waiting for my UL to arrive on a slightly later flight then we got a bite to eat on the upper level food court (overlooking the courtyard area where the Super Shuttle counter is) and mercy me, that line waiting for security on Sunday afternoon was incredible! I have no idea how long they were actually waiting but I would be very surprised if you could get all the way thru that line in less than an hour.

My two roomies have early morning flights out of town on Friday a.m. (yes, after Awards ceremony night!) and the first one is at 0600 which means she would need to arrange a shuttle for 0300??? Eek! not a pretty thought! My other roomie has a 7:30 flight which isn't really that much better...thankfully mine flight is at 3PM (the 6:00 a.m. and 3 PM flights were the cheapest fares and the mid morning flight was at least $50 more so I cheaped out and went with the later flight. I just HATE getting up early and rushing to get to the airport since a.) I'm afraid that I will oversleep and miss my flight or b.) the traffic will be bad and I'll miss my flight so 3 PM sounded better to me. I will still get into St. Louis in the early evening and won't have to make my husband get off work early to come get me and deal with rush hour traffic enroute home as well.

So I'm curious....how do you find out where the other security lines are? I don't thing that you can even get inside the terminal without clearing security so how would you find another security gate? I don't know the airport well at all having been there only one time (e.g. yesterday) but would love to know some options if need be. Hopefully it won't be bad and I'll be there in plenty of time since I expect hotel check out is at 11 a.m. anyway so what else will I have to do???

Thanks for the updates, guys...I will definitely share your experiences with my roomies...I'm thinking they might need to go with the 3 hour recommendation just to be on the safe side.

Now personally, I am hoping that my flight will be packed and offer me a bump for a later flight, I would love to get an airline credit to use for traveling to leadership or convention next year! ;-)

A quick question....is Denver using a smaller "Box" than other airlines to check the size on potentially oversized bags? I have my laptop which is a wheeled bag laptop bag and my black and pink GR bag as my "carry on" purse...didn't have any problme with either bag but I doubt the wheeled bag would fit under the seat however I have never had a problem with carrying it on at any other location and I do take it with me to convention and leadership so have hit various airports with no trouble.

Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Smile

We got to the airport 3 hours early... waited in the long united line to checked our baggage which I thought was very organized. Waited in the the long security line and still got to our gate about 30 minutes before we were supposed to board. I thought Denver airport did a great job of getting everyone through the very long security line in a timely manner. They even booted a guy out of line that cut in front of a group in front of us. I thought it went smooth... no problems. We got pulled to go through the puffer booth... wow that was exciting. We never stopped, the lines kept moving... better than LA traffic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Getting through security wasn't the problem for us!
It was the 1, then 2, then 3 hour flight delay, sitting on the plane for two hours, then having to get OFF the plane when the flight was cancelled due to three of the crew going 'illegal' once we had been sitting on the tarmack for the two hours, THEN waiting in line for another two hours to get re-ticketed and hotel vouchers and a WHOPPING $6 food voucher for a hotel that the only item that was less than $6 was a bowl of soup! We had no luggage because they kept our bags with the flight. A 20 minute shuttle ride out to the hotel, where they were out of toothbrushes and toothpaste due to the number of people who were on the flight that were being sent to the hotel. We got to bed at midnight and had to get up at 4am to catch the 4:45 shuttle to the airport where we sat until our flight finally left at 8am for Chicago. UNBELIEVABLE!!
Oh, and the kicker, BOTH pieces of my luggage missed the connecting flight to Buffalo and was delivered a day and a half later to my house at 4AM and left outside!
United airlines sucks!
Good thing the shopping in Buffalo was awesome when we finally got there, or I would have been really bent!!
Thanks for letting me vent!
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes