Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 & Counting?

Is anyone thinking about making the advent calendar shown in the Holiday Mini? I think it is really cute, but not sure if I would really do it even if I buy the stamp set.

Last edited by RAWS; 08-26-2011 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not me, It's so limited in it's use. I try to invest in sets that can be used for more than one thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

Love the look of it. Not sure I would spend the time to make it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Default advent calendar

I thought that it looked interesting, but limited in scope. Plus, the advent calendars that I've had and liked (we had one from Lillian Vernon that I kept and refilled until it fell to pieces) were able to hold small treats. I'll bet that in the gallery, people will do very cool things with the die for the doors.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought it for a class I'm teaching to make an advent calendar using little 2x2x" gift boxes. I'd post pictures but I'm not fiished yet. However, I've been cutting the numbers off the images and it gives me more options on how to use the set. So far I've cut/can use as:

1- single snowflake
7 - use the candy canes separately
8 - nice reindeer
11 - birthday candles
12 - wreath
13 - I didn't cut-up the stamp; I just cutr out the mug for cocoa
14 - stockings, baby booties, or socks
18 & 19 - use bells separately
20 - snow globe

1, 2, 3, 4, 11, 12, 14, 16 - 19, 21, 23, & 25 can be used on birthday cards if you do some fussy cutting.

When I cut off the number I don't cut through the clear mount label so I can easily reassemble the stamp when I want to use it as one piece. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Holiday Mini?! Ah, I'm dying to see it. Always some great things in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

I am dying to get that stamp set & die! I know for sure that I will use the windows for all kinds of things. I'm sure I'll figure out something for the stamp set. I will probably make a couple of calendars for gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I bought it for a class I'm teaching to make an advent calendar using little 2x2x" gift boxes. I'd post pictures but I'm not fiished yet. However, I've been cutting the numbers off the images and it gives me more options on how to use the set. So far I've cut/can use as:

1- single snowflake
7 - use the candy canes separately
8 - nice reindeer
11 - birthday candles
12 - wreath
13 - I didn't cut-up the stamp; I just cutr out the mug for cocoa
14 - stockings, baby booties, or socks
18 & 19 - use bells separately
20 - snow globe

1, 2, 3, 4, 11, 12, 14, 16 - 19, 21, 23, & 25 can be used on birthday cards if you do some fussy cutting.

When I cut off the number I don't cut through the clear mount label so I can easily reassemble the stamp when I want to use it as one piece. HTH

I would never have thought about cutting the number out- just not inking that part of the image, or wiping it away before stamping! I'd want to do a lot of calendars to justify the cost of the set though, so I wouldn't buy it because I don't make 'em. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

That's exactly what I am ordering it for. I plan on making quite a few this year. I will be gluing magnets to the back and putting them on a magnetic board covered with some Bo Bunny Christmas paper I bought last year. As soon as I saw it in the mini, I knew that would be my first purchase. And the stocking stamps with matching punch. I can't wait for Thursday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanislandwomanView Post
[/COLOR]

I would never have thought about cutting the number out- just not inking that part of the image, or wiping it away before stamping! I'd want to do a lot of calendars to justify the cost of the set though, so I wouldn't buy it because I don't make 'em. ...
Some of the designs you can't just not ink the number and my class has 13 stampers. I'm stamping all their pieces. Coloring each one by hand would have drove me around the bend and then some. :shock:

Cindy - the magnet idea sounds really cute. Love to see some pics ..pls
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Cutting the stamp is a great idea. I have other people who want to make one, so that helps me make the decision to buy the set. I had not considered boxes. I was just going to make flaps, but now you have me thinking. Hummmmm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't wait to get the punches. I won't order the stamps - too limited in use and besides, I have about half a million Christmas stamps that I can make work with the punches. I love, love, love the idea of making the boxes so something special can be tucked inside. I always did this with my kids and just the other day was trying to figure out how I could do this with them both living on their own now. I'm going to make them each a paper box advent calendar and send them so each have one come December. Great idea, Ladies!

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAWSView Post
Cutting the stamp is a great idea. I have other people who want to make one, so that helps me make the decision to buy the set. I had not considered boxes. I was just going to make flaps, but now you have me thinking. Hummmmm.
I giving a class for 13 (pluse 2 spares) and it's a lot of work because for so many they can't share the stamp set as it would take forever to finish. I'm doing alot of prep work so they can basically just put the "kit" together otherwise the class would be all day.

Give yourself plenty of time if you plan to do the prep work. I'm puttng the pieces for each day in little baggies - that's 375 baggies and doesn't include the supplies for the box top. The tutorial is 13 pages. Individual cut paper 103 pieces (1545), 27 embellishments (405), and 7 peices of ribbon/twine (105). Including the outside box and lid and the individual parts for 15 kits it's 2460 pieces. Now I know why I have all the punches and dies - thank SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Some of the designs you can't just not ink the number and my class has 13 stampers. I'm stamping all their pieces. Coloring each one by hand would have drove me around the bend and then some. :shock:

Cindy - the magnet idea sounds really cute. Love to see some pics ..pls
I will be sure to post pics when I get one done. I am very excited to start on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I giving a class for 13 (pluse 2 spares) and it's a lot of work because for so many they can't share the stamp set as it would take forever to finish. I'm doing alot of prep work so they can basically just put the "kit" together otherwise the class would be all day.

Wow, I want to take your class. That would be so much fun. I hope they appreciate all of your hard work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Wow, Stamphappy I want to take your class! What fun that would be. I hope your class appreciates all your hard work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Give yourself plenty of time if you plan to do the prep work. I'm puttng the pieces for each day in little baggies - that's 375 baggies and doesn't include the supplies for the box top. The tutorial is 13 pages. Individual cut paper 103 pieces (1545), 27 embellishments (405), and 7 peices of ribbon/twine (105). Including the outside box and lid and the individual parts for 15 kits it's 2460 pieces. Now I know why I have all the punches and dies - thank SU!
Same here, I have all the supplies on order and I'm going to offer my gals the chance to order an extra 'kit' to take home and complete for a gift. I just want to make lots of them for me to give as gifts and if I'm doing it for me, I know my gals will want to do the class. We're doing it in October so that I can have lots of prep time, and they can gift it away in November.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceyliskView Post
Same here, I have all the supplies on order and I'm going to offer my gals the chance to order an extra 'kit' to take home and complete for a gift. I just want to make lots of them for me to give as gifts and if I'm doing it for me, I know my gals will want to do the class. We're doing it in October so that I can have lots of prep time, and they can gift it away in November.
Wow you are really kind offering them another kit. I'm only offering them the chance to purchase extra little boxes and the outside box. I really don't want to cut any more of these pieces unless I'm making them for myself and then the design will geared toward the person and not as generic. I hope they appreciate you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about not doing it, but I figure I would think about it if I were my customer. They are mostly non-stampers - meaning they like to come, create, pay and leave. They never buy anything, and are quite content with my monthly classes for $20. If I were this type of customer, I'd be happy to buy an extra set (or two) to make as a gift to give away. And I'm thrilled to have any customers at all!

Really, am I going to notice the difference between prepping 15 and 18 sets? Probably not. Registration is required WAY in advance so I know I have plenty of time. Since they don't buy anything I need to cover the cost of supplies anyway...it was a hefty order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceyliskView Post
I thought about not doing it, but I figure I would think about it if I were my customer. They are mostly non-stampers - meaning they like to come, create, pay and leave. They never buy anything, and are quite content with my monthly classes for $20. If I were this type of customer, I'd be happy to buy an extra set (or two) to make as a gift to give away. And I'm thrilled to have any customers at all! Mine are all stampers but 1/2 don't buy and the other half are demos and all love having me do all their work for them. But they keep comming and I get to teach.

Really, am I going to notice the difference between prepping 15 and 18 sets? Probably not. That is so true. I have 13 in the class and made 15 kits and a few extra pieces for boo-boos. I could offer the extras if we don't use them.

Registration is required WAY in advance so I know I have plenty of time. Since they don't buy anything I need to cover the cost of supplies anyway...it was a hefty order!
I did the same thing having them pay in advance and no cancellations. If they can't come they get their kit and tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

...Give yourself plenty of time if you plan to do the prep work. I'm puttng the pieces for each day in little baggies - that's 375 baggies and doesn't include the supplies for the box top. The tutorial is 13 pages. Individual cut paper 103 pieces (1545), 27 embellishments (405), and 7 peices of ribbon/twine (105). Including the outside box and lid and the individual parts for 15 kits it's 2460 pieces. Now I know why I have all the punches and dies - thank SU!
Is the tutorial something you put together or is it SU's? I would love to have a tutorial to use when working on the Advent calendar. I looked on the SU website and couldn't find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalaKittyView Post
Is the tutorial something you put together or is it SU's? I would love to have a tutorial to use when working on the Advent calendar. I looked on the SU website and couldn't find it.
It's my tutorial I put together for my class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Stamphappy, so you're not using the peekaboo frames for each number? You're using boxes instead? So they're going to make 25 boxes?! That's a LOT! Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding. I you post pictures of what you're making, you might be able to charge a small fee for your tutorial! I know that some of us demos would be interested! I'm planning on just making something like they showed in the Mini, but I'm kinda stuck on the frame. Would you let each person get their own?
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
Stamphappy, so you're not using the peekaboo frames for each number? You're using boxes instead? So they're going to make 25 boxes?! That's a LOT! Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding. I you post pictures of what you're making, you might be able to charge a small fee for your tutorial! I know that some of us demos would be interested! I'm planning on just making something like they showed in the Mini, but I'm kinda stuck on the frame. Would you let each person get their own?
No, I'm not using the frames for every number. The boxes I'm using are only 2 x 2 x 2" and the most of the frames are too large. Yes, 25 boxes because I want them to be able to add a treat in every box (little toys, a piece of candy, etc.). I plan to post the tutorial and pictures and there won't be any charge. It will be my version of pay if forward for all that I learn from the SCS community.

The 25 boxes sit inside a simple box that is made from a large sheet of watercolor paper. This box has a top that is shirt box - you know the kind we get to wrap gifts. The picture shows a red box bottom but it will actually be white with a red top.

The idea of this project is so that it can be used year after year. I have grandsons and I know that just having what was in the mini wouldn't be a lot of fun, but opening a gift everyday is fun.

I'm in the final stages of the tutorial (14 pages with full pictures). If you can wait a few days I'll post the final pics and tutuorial. I don't have a pic of the final box as I'm not there yet but I've attached a couple of samples. The one is really fuzzy but it gives you an idea of what it will look like.
Attached Thumbnails
25 & Counting?-advent-calendar-class-006.jpg   25 & Counting?-august-2011-026.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for explaining what you're doing! Your grandsons will love it! My granddaughters are 3.5, just turned 2, and 3 months (in one family) and 6 months (in another family), so the 3.5 year old is the only one who will really "get it" this year. The challenge would/will be to keep the 2 year old (who has been known to totally destroy board books!) from ripping them all open. My DD will definitely need to keep this OUT of her reach and out of her climbing reach! <g> So I'm not sure what I will do, but I REALLY appreciate you're sharing what you're making, even the tutorial!! I think it's really GREAT that you're giving back to SCS that way! I'm in no hurry, but will enjoy it whenever you get it done!! :-) :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks for explaining what you're doing! Your grandsons will love it! My granddaughters are 3.5, just turned 2, and 3 months (in one family) and 6 months (in another family), so the 3.5 year old is the only one who will really "get it" this year. The challenge would/will be to keep the 2 year old (who has been known to totally destroy board books!) from ripping them all open. My DD will definitely need to keep this OUT of her reach and out of her climbing reach! <G>So I'm not sure what I will do, but I REALLY appreciate you're sharing what you're making, even the tutorial!! I think it's really GREAT that you're giving back to SCS that way! I'm in no hurry, but will enjoy it whenever you get it done!! :-) :-)
When the twins were little my DIL would let the boys look at the cards and then put them on a high shelf so they would survive so I really understand :p

Last year I made the mini-muffin tin advent calendar but I didn't like it. The muffin holes are too small for gifts and the magnets would hold the covers on. This year Grandma Polly (me) is going to have a lot more fun shopping for treats as last year it was a little too much candy.
Reply With Quote Likes