Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post
Now that is a lovely idea! And also, please encourage your design team to use different styles. When every major designer’s cards look the same, or all have distress ink backgrounds, that doesn’t help the crafter who doesn’t use that style or doesn’t have distress inks.
To expand just a bit on this comment and the one from whoistracy, I think that the designers forget that there are stampers/crafters who may be intimidated/turned off by a constant barrage of creations that they feel they could never accomplish. It would be nice to see a variety of skill levels represented, as well. Maybe do a couple of versions - one nice basic one for the beginner and a stepped-up version, as well...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #122  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
To expand just a bit on this comment and the one from whoistracy, I think that the designers forget that there are stampers/crafters who may be intimidated/turned off by a constant barrage of creations that they feel they could never accomplish. It would be nice to see a variety of skill levels represented, as well. Maybe do a couple of versions - one nice basic one for the beginner and a stepped-up version, as well...

That is a very nice idea! I have noticed in the emails I get from Gerda Steiner Designs, they are addressing the need for examples for beginners. I don’t have any of their stamps but I love that they are doing this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #123  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

I remember back in the day, one of the scrapbook magazines (I think it was Simple Scrapbooks) used to have a column where they would show a simple scrapbook layout, a more advanced one, and an expert design. I think that was my favorite feature in the magazine.

ETA OK, found it! It was Scrapbook and Cards Today. It's a free online magazine (you pay for printed version), but I haven't seen the "Easy, Detailed, Expert" feature in a long time. I hope they bring it back!

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 10-20-2019 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #124  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I remember back in the day, one of the scrapbook magazines (I think it was Simple Scrapbooks) used to have a column where they would show a simple scrapbook layout, a more advanced one, and an expert design. I think that was my favorite feature in the magazine.

ETA OK, found it! It was Scrapbook and Cards Today. It's a free online magazine (you pay for printed version), but I haven't seen the "Easy, Detailed, Expert" feature in a long time. I hope they bring it back!

I met the publishers at a Stamp & SB Expo, and they also visited my LSS. They’re so so nice. I bet they’d consider it or at least respond if you - anyone - contacted them. It’s really hard for a hard copy magazine to survive.

(I subscribed to the hard copy to support them but stopped since most reading is Amazon ebooks on an iPad because my eyes have gotten worse and adjusting the font/background/spacing helps tons.)

Meanwhile, we could do a challenge like that to help newbies - or anyone. And is “Detailed” still simple but just with tons of embellishments or extra stamping?

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #125  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I don't buy a lot of new stamps or crafting products in general (so I may not be the best person to answer) but I'd love to see some vintage/victorian/art deco/retro etc. styles. I'd get bored if there was an overload of them, but it's fun to see something different occasionally.

I really dig the vintage stuff to, and right now (new to the scene, been looking at a literal ton of paper), Stamperia is my fav, with Graphic 45 and then Carte Belle. All 3 of these brands mostly do theme sets of vintage and retro designs. Stamperia and Carte Belle are Italian brands. They are a bit pricey, but they are really amazing. I have some Stamperia cardstock and could send you a photo if your interested. Also got some Tim Holtz cardstock, but the design details are based on real ephemera, rather than original designs.

Stamperia does cardstock, rice paper, stamps and more, usually in theme sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #126  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't remember how this came up in my feed (must have looked for something else) but there are several vintage papers at The Rubber Buggy. I'm linking to one I never heard of (but vintage isn't my style):

Maja Designs Products - The Rubber Buggy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 03:41 AM   #127  
Glitter Guru

@bjeans, I think I will email them and ask if they can bring it back. I used to use the "Detailed" version because it was the "Simple" layout with a few added embellishments. They also added some layers and extra touches here and there. I still like the magazine, and like you read the digital copy most of the time because of storage issues. I did receive the latest edition in hard copy for free with my Scrapbook.com order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #128  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

That's a great idea! Kind of like the "more is more" DD challenge each month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #129  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

As someone who is totally new to this crafting scene, my reaction to lots of things has been "OMG really?".

Yes, please, easier projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #130  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

@bjeans, I think I will email them and ask if they can bring it back. I used to use the "Detailed" version because it was the "Simple" layout with a few added embellishments. They also added some layers and extra touches here and there. I still like the magazine, and like you read the digital copy most of the time because of storage issues. I did receive the latest edition in hard copy for free with my Scrapbook.com order.

It never hurts to ask. I asked MFT to bring back retired stamp sets. The response from the customer service rep was basically that is something we will never do. Two months later they started releasing retired sets every month. I was thrilled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #131  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #132  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I could email too, mentioning it was brought up here. Such a fun idea: simple, simple ramped up and advanced.

I emailed SSS to ask if a die set was going to be manufactured for an alpha stamp set that fussy cuts well except for the inside of letters like O and P, and they apparently had enough people ask that they’re coming out with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #133  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am very advanced stamping girl. I don't even like those 700 step tutorials with the $700 in supplies to create a card in 700 hours, lol.

I know the companies want to sell a lot of supplies. I know they pick the big influencer's to promote this. I know this is a form of marketing and advertising. If I see a blog with way too many tools that are expensive and not your standard cardmaking tools I click the close button.

I am truly and honestly excited and support those who love all those steps. I like basic tutorials that I can make fancy and advance. I am probably asking the industry for Golden Unicorns and rare My Little Ponies.

I remember when stamping was all sorts of different talent and abilities. The way the new marketing is being projected it seems to be one way. I know that is not true but it is the most popular at the moment. I would love to see a lovely balance again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #134  
Gallery Gazer

What Taylored Expressions came out with - literally today - is exactly the type of innovation that makes my heart sing. While I’ve been using stencils lately, and these open up options, spark ideas and make stencil life easier, it’s not just that. It’s that they fill a gap for some (not all) of us crafters.

Here’s one of them with the video. Love the positioning lines too.
Masking Stencils - Rectangles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #135  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

ETA: I emailed and received a response today. Jen Walker thanked me and said that she will discuss it with the editorial team.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #136  
Gallery Gazer

That’s terrific. I’ve been too obsessed with baseball for the past few days to do much but will email them now too, and mention the response here.

ETA: Just did.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-24-2019 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #137  
Gallery Gazer

Already got a response, also from Jen. Fingers crossed! I’d re-subscribe - good to support the publishers - it’s hard for them to survive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 06:38 AM   #138  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I have bought the value pack of adhesive multi-coloured fun foam from the kids' section at Michaels to use for adding dimension to die cuts, background panels, etc.. I would love to see someone make a value pack of all white adhesive fun foam as that's the colour I most need to use. Here's the pack I'm talking about:

6"" x 9"" Adhesive Foam Sheets by Creatology, Primary Colors

Susan, I have bought rolls of white and black fun foam at Michael's. It's always on the bottom shelf where the fun foam is located.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #139  
Embossing Fanatic

I'd like to see more companies produce their products in the United States.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Susan, I have bought rolls of white and black fun foam at Michael's. It's always on the bottom shelf where the fun foam is located.

Linda, are those rolls adhesive on one side?

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #141  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thumbs Up ScrapJanny! I hope it happens for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #142  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Hoboken Paper-
Dont force yourself. There is a lot of fishing stuff out there. Like golf it is huge popular theme forever

The funny thing is the first stamp I ever bought on ebay was a small fishing one...from britain! I didnt realize it till later when paypal converted it. Really nice seller actually.

First of all-go to ebay and ask for fishing rubber stamps-you get like 1300. go to 96 views on the page and you will skim fast bc a bunch of it is fish itself. Also check etsy-they have TONS of real looking fish.

Penny Black has a nice one
Amazon.com: Penny Black PB40129 Cling Rubber Stamp Sheet, 5 by 5-Inch, Dropping You a Line: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

magenta has a full scene fly fisherman in the river

every company kind of has them so poke around. Dont settle! I am not promoting spending money. I want you to get the one you really like. I have been known to wait for literal years to get a stamp.

Thank you for the link to that Penny Black fishing stamp! I just ordered it. I’m always looking for fishing stamps that aren’t fly fishing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #143  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
This project of Anita's this morning made me wish that there were BIG animal shape dies... ( not cute things but, real things) that could become card bases)

( I own cute butterflies and hearts and basic shapes etc)

like this.

IC723 Polar Bear by snietje - at Splitcoaststampers
Check https://www.thestampsoflife.com/shop/Fold-its/
They are cute, but not cutesy....if that makes sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #144  
Crimping Master

Darice used to make a ribbon storage bobbin similar to floss bobbins, only larger. I have my ribbon stored on them and my entire storage system is set up to use those bobbins. Unfortunately they were discontinued and I can't seem to find anything similar. I really wish they would bring those back again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #145  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
Darice used to make a ribbon storage bobbin similar to floss bobbins, only larger. I have my ribbon stored on them and my entire storage system is set up to use those bobbins. Unfortunately they were discontinued and I can't seem to find anything similar. I really wish they would bring those back again!

Are these any good? I am not sure-do you want round or flat bc floss can come on either...

these are round.

Empty Sewing Machine Bobbins Cord Ribbon Storage Spools Reels Plastic White | eBay

A lot of kinds on etsy under ribbon bobbins.

I just made my own flat ones out of cardboard after Sue (gregzgurl) suggested it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #146  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the ideas. These were flat, plastic, and super convenient. Just pop open the package and start winding the ribbon. They came in packages of 10 and stored multiple yards of ribbon. I know I could cut some kind of cardboard ones but I am lazy and just wish Darice would make them again. Etsy has so many choices, but not exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #147  
Gallery Gazer

Annie, these may be too small at about 2.8” but like these?
Wood ribbon organizer thread and chain spool bobbin 920 | Etsy

These show ribbon but don’t have measurements. She calls it cardboard; guessing it’s chipboard:
Kraft card bobbins cardboard spool winding card for ribbons | Etsy

There are quite a few like these plus more on eBay. I’ve thought about getting them for my smaller pieces of ribbon. I don’t have a big collection and rarely use ribbon though.

Best Craft Organizer folks have great ribbon storage with a winder - they sell all the pieces and some are sold on scrapbook.com, SSS, etc., and there are videos. I keep looking at it at Stamp & SB Expos but never take the time to figure out exactly what I need.
https://www.bestscrapbookshelf.com/p...-dispense

Last edited by bjeans; 11-06-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 04:26 AM   #148  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the links to these products. I will have to do some measuring to see if any of them would work in my system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #149  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Linda, are those rolls adhesive on one side?

Susan, those do not have adhesive. I use my ATG to adhere them.

Something I would LOVE to see in the industry: I'm going to use an example, not to single the company out because I absolutely love this die set. Here's the card by Kelly Lunceford for Pinkfresh Studio. I'm using this card as inspiration for my Christmas cards, so I have an assembly line going on. See the little accent sprigs and individual leaves in a lighter shade of green? I would love more dies included for these 2 elements instead of having to cut each one individually. If I were making one card, it's not a problem; but since I'm doing 30 or so, it would help so much if I could cut several at a time. There are more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #150  
Gallery Gazer

Linda, so what might be thought of as a type of layering dies (just not for backgrounds)? If so, Altenew has some, which they call 3D, like this one: https://altenew.com/collections/laye...den-3d-die-set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 01:22 AM   #151  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks, that's not what I mean. What I would like are multiples of the same die so you can cut several at once.

Another example is this set of dies from Divinity Designs; I usually make 9 sets of these for a 3 X 3 layout on a card. It makes a beautiful Cathedral Window design. I ordered one set at first, then ordered 2 additional sets, so I can cut an entire row at once.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 03:27 AM   #152  
Proud Fan Club Member

I think I get what you are saying Linda. If a basic design (ie the wreath on your example) calls for multiples of a shape, you would like the option to get a big set of them so you can run it much fewer times? That makes total sense to me.

Would a choice be to get whole wreath dies and then cut it up into parts to create a layered look? I dont know if that would be much less work though....

I bet Kittie747 might have a thought to help you with that. She does all those AMAZING layered cards and I have seen some great wreaths in her gallery. You might PM her. She is super nice-I have asked her Qs in the past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #153  
Glitter Guru

I get what you're saying, Linda, and it makes a lot of sense. When I need multiples of the same shape, I usually use my electronic cutters. If you don't have that option, it's very tedious if you have only one die to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 04:14 AM   #154  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

Oh, I totally agree on the multiples. What's with the window box set I have which only has one shutter so that has to be cut twice. It would be great for ornament dies where sometimes you have several ornaments but only one ornament cap die provided.

On the same sheet, I'd like to see more solid dies included with open outlines where relevant, too. I love my MB Chinese Lanterns, but so far I don't think I've used them without the solid lanterns to back the outlines, which I bought separately. I like fussy cutting, but not that amount of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #155  
Hardware Hotshot

WJ, I tried cutting parts of the wreath; it looked terrible because it completely covered the darker wreath. The accent leaves are smaller.

I've drooled over Kittie's creations many times. She does gorgeous work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 04:30 AM   #156  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The number of people/times a die set is used to make multiples probably doesn't come close and I for one would be irritated to pay a higher price for a set I want because it has multiples of the same die(s), sorry. Depending on the die and the machine you are using you may be able to cut more than one at a time, otherwise buying more than one of any sets you plan to use to mass produce is probably your best option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #157  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
The number of people/times a die set is used to make multiples probably doesn't come close and I for one would be irritated to pay a higher price for a set I want because it has multiples of the same die(s), sorry. Depending on the die and the machine you are using you may be able to cut more than one at a time, otherwise buying more than one of any sets you plan to use to mass produce is probably your best option.

Which is exactly what I've done. I get what you're saying because most people don't mass produce like I do. It would be a great compromise if the companies offered the option of purchasing extra accent dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 12:00 AM   #158  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

Also, putting mass-production aside, many flower sets require several petals the same size and you might have to cut some petals four or five times. I have a poinsettia like that and a couple of others too. Alongwith my window set with only one shutter, I think there's definitely a case for bring able to cut enough pieces to complete a basic project in one pass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 04:17 AM   #159  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Which is exactly what I've done. I get what you're saying because most people don't mass produce like I do. It would be a great compromise if the companies offered the option of purchasing extra accent dies.

Maybe, an Electric Machine is called for???? That way you won't wear out your arm! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 04:38 AM   #160  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkykittenView Post
This is exactly what I had in mind. Just didn’t have a clue how to do it. I think I will cancel the layering tool, and do this! Amazing—thanks again.
Lois

The thing about the layering tool is that you can make any size border and even make the vertical different than the horizontal. I use mine all the time as I use tape primarily and it's more difficult to get up to reposition it if you are off. Not much wriggle room with tape.
Reply With Quote Likes