Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2004, 06:32 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 x 12 vs 8 1/2 x 11 ?!?!?!?!

I am getting ready to start a scrapbook of my husband's year in Iraq. I have never done any scrapbooking before and am looking forward to giving it a try. I would like to do an 8 1/2 by 11 book because it'd be less space to fill on a page and then I wouldn't have to buy 12 x 12 paper...as I don't use it at this time and really don't have a place to store it. So I guess I want to know if there is any real advantage to doing 12 x 12 over 8 1/2 x 11.

Also, since he's in the desert I was planning to do a lot of creamy caramel, browns, natural and kraft papers...is this going to get really monotonous?

I am totally new to the scrapbooking thing and am nervous about making something yucky! Unlike a card....if I don't like this I am still stuck with it. I want it to be done when he gets home in Feb.

Thanks for you tips!!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 06:42 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Hi Emily,
I too have been "thinking about starting" my husband's Iraq OIF scrapbook...I've been collecting papers, stamps, embellishments, etc.

I think the 12x12 is going to be better because he has a lot of photos that go together that wouldn't fit in a 8.5x11 on one page. Also, I'm going to leave room for him to journal.

I too was thinking earthtones, but then thinking I would get tired of that, started collecting patriotic themed papers too, red white and blues. Especially for the homecoming pages.

I can't wait to see your pages! be sure to post some!!!

Is he home or still in Iraq? If he's home, glad he's home safe, if he's still there, we will keep him in our hearts and prayers for his safe return!

Sonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 06:52 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

What about using the earth tones as the base and then punch it up with different colors... like reds and yellows for birthdays, greens for Christmas, etc. That way you do have your "desert theme" running through it, but since they compliment colors well you really could use any colors you wanted to add an additional punch.

Just a thought..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 06:56 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

He's still there. He came home for his two weeks in August and now will be gone probably until Feb.

I was thinking the same things about the colors.....also I found some great patriotic 12x12 papers...but they only come in 12x12 and wouldn't look good cut down. I could do rw&b stuff every once in awhile to mix things up on my own though. I really don't like patterned paper that much anyway. As for journaling, I had him tell me about all the pictures he had taken while he was home on R&R and I wrote notes on post its and put them on the backs of the pics so I can get started whenever. He doesn't have any large photos, just 4x6's so I think 8 1/2 x11 would be ok in that respect...oh what to do!!! I think if he had lots that went together I could just do a two page layout vs a 12x12 page....the 12x12 pages just seem intimidating on the amount of space needing to be filled. I need to make up my mind so I can order the album and get started!

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 06:58 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaS25
What about using the earth tones as the base and then punch it up with different colors... like reds and yellows for birthdays, greens for Christmas, etc. That way you do have your "desert theme" running through it, but since they compliment colors well you really could use any colors you wanted to add an additional punch.

Just a thought..
I was thinking the same thing! That I could use the more nuetral base of caramel for those pages but back the photos in something brighter and use brighter embellishments on those pages. I am just so anxious for it to turn out well....it being my first attempt and it also being a surprise gift for him when he comes home.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 07:03 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

I've heard that it is hard to find 8 1/2 x 11 scrapbooks. Or does SU make one? I like 12 x 12, just find it easier to work with. Enjoy making your scrapbook. With those three boys I doubt it will be the last scrapbook you make :-).

Kris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 07:04 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

SU sells them. I was going to go with the burgundy leather post one they have.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 09:57 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Good to know su sells 8 1/2 x 11. I am at work (catalog at home). I am obviously not a demo. But when I hear ppl complain that they can't find good 8 1/2 x 11 I'll send them to su.

Kris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #9  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I like the 12x12 pages because I can get 3 nice pictures per page, and gives me more room to "create" I guess it is just a preference to what you would like. You can always cut down the 12x12 pages later if you have leftovers to make cards with.
I found a place on ebay that had sand background papers. I have yet to use it, I got some bubble paper too from them and use it for the fishy friends set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

i really like working with 12x12, but I am a very balanced person(not really) when it comes to the thing around me. All my poor scrapbook layouts are pretty much symmetrical which is why i don't work well with 8.5x11.

when i first switched to 12x12 i had the same concerns about filling up the pages but it hasn't been a problem.

good luck on your choice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have done 8 1/2 x 11 in the past, as well as 6x6. I just started on my kids scrapbooks and am finding that I would have preferred to have 12x12. It is hard to get the groups of photos on the smaller pages with embellishments and have it not look cluttered.
I have done a memory album for my husbands Aunt in black, creme, and brown tones. It was my favorite album so far. It was so easy to put together and it looked so nice. I didn't get bored with it at all. If I wanted to add some color to it I just used touches of gold. I like the idea of adding patriotic colors to it .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 12:13 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been scrapping for a few years and have used both size of albums. I found there is more of a selection of papers in the 12x12 size but many of them you can cut down to 8 1/2 x 11. As far as what's the best size to use depends on your scrapbook style. Do you like lots of pictures on one page or only 1 or 2, lots of embellishments or hardly any, like to journal or not hardly at all. I say go with what you feel comfortable with and see where your creativity takes you. I'm sure the album will turn out great and will be greatly appreciated for many years.

If I can't be a good example -- then I'll just have to be a horrible warning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I have been scrapbooking for years and find that I love the 12x12 albums. I would advise that you find a top loading album so you don't have to trim the paper or adhere it to another paper. (Strap Hinge Style) For gift albums, I have been doing the 6x6. You can get a whole album finished in a weekend. I did my children's baby albums in 8.5x11 and wish I would have done them 12x12. The pages look more balanced and less cluttery. The 12x12 is also a good size to use pocket pages for cards, letters, etc. I think your husband will love whatever you make..I guess you need to experiment and see what works best for you.

Kristy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

I've used both the 8.5x11 and the 12x12s I found that it was alot easier to fit everything I wanted on a 12x12 withought it looking cluttered and smooshed. The bad thing was that I could no longer print my background pages since I can't print a 12x12 sheet. Sad. But I did find alot more background paper options in 12x12s
Also, Hallmark sells 8.5 x11 albums, I used to use them before, dunno how the are now though!
Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

kseither wrote:
Quote:

I would advise that you find a top loading album so you don't have to trim the paper or adhere it to another paper. (Strap Hinge Style)
SU!'s are top loading albums. They have both the post type and are now carrying the ring (binder) type that has 3 1 1/2 in. straight D rings for 8 1/2x11 & 12x12; the 6x6 has 2 1in. straight D rings.

Hope that helps you with your choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 02:35 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm an avid scrapbooker and I find 12X12 much easier to use. I think you have more room and can fit in more pictures and stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 02:53 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

At the moment I use 8.5 x 11 for my kids albums, and love them. I am getting ready to start on my hubby's Marine Corps album while he is gone - I have everything in chronological order from his career (only 20 years behind!!) Instead of starting at the front, I also am going to start with his OIF/OEF stuff - that's the nice thing about top loaders - you can rearrange. I have the next few months as he just left last Friday. I am going to do his album(s) in 12x12 as I bought the K&Co Marine Corps album. This will be my first 12x12 album. I just bought new 8.5x11 ones for my kids, have already finished off others. I love that size, except you do find that embellishments, die cuts, template letters, etc. do fit 12x12 pages better. Good luck and let's see your pages when you're done!!

Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 03:14 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Would a 6x6 album be TOO small? That way you could buy 12x12 papers & quarter them & get more mileage out of the paper. I saw some really good military background papers at my local scrapbook store but don't know what brand they were.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2004, 08:13 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I definately think a 6 x 6 would be too small...I already have about 60 pictures to put on pages.

Reply With Quote Likes