Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
LOL....oh, how I love this place. Imagine just 30 years ago having someone telling you that one day you will wake up in the morning and turn on a machine that will allow you to "chat" with people from all over the world who share interests with you, see photographs of their artwork and develop friendships! This is truly a cyber village.
ITA! My husband loves to tease me about my pretend friends
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,064 Likes on 819 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarwingView Post
... It was supposed to be shipped by courier, but they wouldn't say when. I highly doubt they sent anything at all, but we will file a legal complaint against the company and obviously recommend that others steer clear of them!

If it was supposed to have been shipped by courier rather than Royal Mail then it should definitely have been traceable. I hope your DH keeps persevering and you get your money back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #43  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 809 Likes on 331 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
If it was supposed to have been shipped by courier rather than Royal Mail then it should definitely have been traceable. I hope your DH keeps persevering and you get your money back.
Me too! That's just so wrong, I hate it when companies try to give you the run-around.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I don't know if this is the right place to post or not, so please forgive me if it isn't. It's very difficult for me to get card making supplies or art supplies where I live. I don't speak the language and my husband doesn't know of any stores that have the things I use. So obviously I tried to find some online sources. He insists that I order from the EU. I finally found a craft store that had a reasonably large selection and ships to Finland. I've ordered from them in the past and had no troubles, but I placed a massive order on New Year's Eve... Long story short, that didn't work out and I have no craft supplies and nowhere to get any more. And I don't even know if my husband is going to feel comfortable with making another order from another company, so I am about to cry my big girl eyes out because of it all :

Does anyone know of a reliable online arts & crafts supplier in the EU?
Does anyone know of arts & crafts stores located in Tampere, Finland?
I have been using Joanna Sheen online for a couple of years. She posts worldwide. She is based in Devon UK and her company is fantastic free p&p I have never been disappointed.
I have also ordered from Waltzingmouse and have always been impressed with their service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Ok, all, lol... I am just checking my financial knowledge. I thought the UK (England, Scotland, Wales) was not part of the EU. Maybe just England is not part??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabiesView Post
Ok, all, lol... I am just checking my financial knowledge. I thought the UK (England, Scotland, Wales) was not part of the EU. Maybe just England is not part??
Nope, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales are all part of the EU. It does get complicated - they are all part of the UK, so they are all in the EU together. United Kingdom = the countries of Great Britain (Scotland, England, Wales) and Northern Ireland.

Here endeth today's geography lesson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #47  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 809 Likes on 331 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
Nope, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales are all part of the EU. It does get complicated - they are all part of the UK, so they are all in the EU together. United Kingdom = the countries of Great Britain (Scotland, England, Wales) and Northern Ireland.

Here endeth today's geography lesson
But the United Kingdom does not use the Euro, their currency is the British Pound Sterling, while Ireland does use the Euro.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK - UK101 -

The United Kingdom is part of the European Union.

Not all countries elected to join the common currency, the Euro. The Republic of Ireland did and the UK (United Kingdom) never brought to a referendum preferring to stick with the pound sterling. There was never a mandate (though it was discussed) of membership of the European Union being contingent upon sharing a common form of currency. That said, in major cities in the UK you "may" be able to use Euros to purchase items, however expect any exchange to be in favour of the vendor.

HTH.

Factually I know companies in the UK that take US dollars but the exchange rate is horrendous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I live in Spain and order from Joanna sheen who ships free of charge and cuddly buddly is �4 for shipping to Europe. Crafts u Love charge �8 I think, I'm lucky that I can stock up on visits to England and San Francisico but the above sites are very reliable .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Forgot to also say that craft superstore sent my cricut and my bigshot by currier to Spain for �12.95 and it was delivered to my door within five days so if you wanted a large order it might be worth while having a loos at their website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #51  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,064 Likes on 819 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
OK - UK101 -

The United Kingdom is part of the European Union.

Not all countries elected to join the common currency, the Euro. The Republic of Ireland did and the UK (United Kingdom) never brought to a referendum preferring to stick with the pound sterling. There was never a mandate (though it was discussed) of membership of the European Union being contingent upon sharing a common form of currency. That said, in major cities in the UK you "may" be able to use Euros to purchase items, however expect any exchange to be in favour of the vendor.

HTH.

It's possible that if the UK had stayed in the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (in which it was a very late joiner, but presumably at that stage with an eye to keeping the door open for Euro involvement) it might have gone on to adopt the Euro. But after the sterling crash in 1992, caused by currency speculators including George Soros, they withdrew from it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #52  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had a not very nice experience with Crafty Devils Papercrafts in the U.K. so that makes at least two of us!

Quote:

After requesting a refund, the company (craftydevilspapercrafts.co.uk) claims to have shipped a partial order and said they cannot issue a refund. So my husband phoned them and they kept giving different dates on when the "partial order" was shipped and they couldn't confirm. It was supposed to be shipped by courier, but they wouldn't say when. I highly doubt they sent anything at all, but we will file a legal complaint against the company and obviously recommend that others steer clear of them!

I was really impressed with the selection at TheGlitterPot, and I found some things on other sites that I'll add to my wishlist. And one really good thing came of this experience: my sweetie started looking at a site he found for a craft store in our city and he got curious about some of the items he saw. The next thing I know, he watches a youtube video demonstration for the Sizzix Big Shot and went, "Oh that's amazing! I'm going to buy you that." He probably means for our anniversary or something, but that's wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #53  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But I have to add they did sort it out with a refund in the end, so I hope you got yours!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfinlayView Post
I also had a not very nice experience with Crafty Devils Papercrafts in the U.K. so that makes at least two of us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
It's possible that if the UK had stayed in the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (in which it was a very late joiner, but presumably at that stage with an eye to keeping the door open for Euro involvement) it might have gone on to adopt the Euro. But after the sterling crash in 1992, caused by currency speculators including George Soros, they withdrew from it.
Doubtful (was living there then) as the British love their pound. They were promised it would go to referendum and I don't think a referendum was ever fully attempted. The concept just couldn't gain any momentum. In hindsight it was a bullet dodged, though the big powers of the EU still think the UK should step up and help out the euro mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
But the United Kingdom does not use the Euro, their currency is the British Pound Sterling, while Ireland does use the Euro.

Because the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK - it's only Northern Ireland that is. It's totally confusing, I know. I truly think you have to be British to have a chance of understanding it all. I haven't lived there for 20 years but since i grew up there, it's sort of ingrained - although with the rumblings about Scotland withdrawing from the Union, it may all change again - but this is getting way off topic!!
Reply With Quote Likes