Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #41  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only been addicted since last year's holiday season. Bought just a few really cute Christmas stamps at Hobby Lobby and made my cards. Now just shy of a year later, my husband and I are talking about converting the garage into a craft room.....

:-)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Oh my word! I was laughing so hard after reading this...had to catch my breath so I could respond!

I went to a CTMH party at my BFFs house 2.5 years ago (I owed her...she went to a Mary Kay party for me!)...it was like a big lightbulb went off over my head...this was something i HAD to do! Bit by bit...I gathered it all...and you know what happened??? They made more STUFF! So I gathered more STUFF! and so on and so on! Now it's a dedicated room in my house...shelving...peg board...much of which was made for me by my hubby...and now...he shows people the room and says yep...this is what I work overtime for! LOL!

but it is my therapy...my outlet...and like they say...if Mama ain't happy...:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Barbara Jay - I'm going to read your $200 card story at our next stamp meeting, we all could use a good laugh and I think we all can relate. Too Funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippysueView Post
This reminds me of the children's book...If You Give a Mouse a Cookie!!!
Too funny!!! We could write our own book: "If you give a cardmaker a stamp..."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Allison!View Post
Barbara Jay - I'm going to read your $200 card story at our next stamp meeting, we all could use a good laugh and I think we all can relate. Too Funny!
Please go ahead and read it to the group . They can probably add their own "first card " stories .

I forgot to add that when I bought the stamps, colored cardstock and DP from SU I didn't think about the fact I needed white for a base and to stamp on so that was a trip to Staples for white Cardstock LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnrizeView Post
I have only been addicted since last year's holiday season. Bought just a few really cute Christmas stamps at Hobby Lobby and made my cards. Now just shy of a year later, my husband and I are talking about converting the garage into a craft room.....

:-)
Your DH is a keeper for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

thanks for the smiles

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #48  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for bumping this, Stacy. I feel much better now. I'm not insane. (Or at least I'm not alone in my insanity.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #49  
Kookie Creator

lol... I'm feeling much better now too after my black Friday spending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #50  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need a digital camera to take shots of each card you make. Back to the store...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Giggles.......I so needed this! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #52  
Mad Swapper

OMG. ROFL!!! What a way to start a Monday morning off!!! So funny reading everyone's stories!! I always say, "why would I go buy a card for $5.00 when I can make it for $10.00!!" It definitely is something that this hobby does to one!! I'm with some of the others here, just buy & buy! When I go shopping and if I see a stamp set and I have a vision of what I want to make I buy it!!! Unfortunately, that card or project never gets made! This is a hobby I love it and will never give it up!

Everyone have fun & enjoy!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

My husband never fails to mention as he shows people around the house that my stamp room is the most expensive room in the house...I have spilled over into 3 additional rooms now...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #54  
Inking Addict

Default Oh how true!!!

First of all thank you so much for making my day. I haven't laughed in quite awhile. Sad news is that I live on the east coast and the night of the big storm our beloved cat went out and we have not seen her since. It has now been 5 weeks.
Second, I am 77 years old and still work part-time. I wonder why! Is it because I like to make "cheap" cards. Or is it that I have to have the latest machine. Such as, 2 cuttlebugs (I finally gave one away to a friend). Had to have 2 just in case one broke. Or is it the two Cricuts I still have. Naturally I need the small one for the crops and the Expression for home. How about the 25 sets of nestabilities. You never know when you will need a certain shape. Or the Big Shot I just bought, in case the Cuttlebug quits on me. And so on.Welcome to my world. I love it and my husband is very understanding. He keeps telling me we need another room for my "stuff". Stick with it because it is a very rewarding hobby. Thanks again for the laugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

My sigie lines repeat exactly what everyone on this thread has expressed. My mom and I joke about it all the time. I use all my stuff, but she's very much a "collector". "Hoarder" is just to harsh for any of us! I do hoard a few supplies that just seem too pretty to use. Trying to break myself of that. I can't believe how many product lines at which I originally turned up my nose, only to try them and become completely hooked! Started with pastels and a versamark pad. Then I couldn't just order a few ink pads, I had to have the whole family....in classic and craft inks. Ohhhh, and the full set of markers. Didn't understand why my friend needed the Big Shot but curse that woman, she loaned it to me and I just had to have my own. My only irritation is that while my husband spends more on his hobbies, his "toys" retain a much higher resale value. I don't think I own any stamp sets that have increased in value. Don't get me wrong, though....I've checked!

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #56  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by raquelita_unoView Post
I don't think I own any stamp sets that have increased in value. Don't get me wrong, though....I've checked!
I never buy anything with my eye on resale value. I buy what I like. When I no longer want/use something, if it has value to another person that is great. If not I enjoyed it .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #57  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

What a great thread !! I got a lot of laughs reading everybody's posts. I especially loved the post about the husband who had like 21 tape measures - HAH!!!!!!!!

I can definitely relate to the $1000 card or whatever dollar amount but certainly nowhere near $3.00.

I'd love to hear how some of you got into the wonderful world of stamping/art/papercrafting....

For me it all started 10 years ago in Wal-Mart with 1 stamp and 1 ink pad because I thought it would be fun and nice to make a thank you card for my Vet's office who was so supportive when I had to put my little senior citizen dog down. Two women who worked in that office asked me if I made the card and they said that they were in this group that met 1 time per month and asked me if I wanted to join. I said 'sure' and, well, it was a Stampin' Up group and that did it for me - TOTALLY HOOKED on stamping and the scope of this craft has just grown exponentially every year. I feel so lucky for the serendipitous circumstance that brought me and this craft together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #58  
Crimping Master

Omigosh, this makes me laugh!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

My first introduction to paper crafts was when I was 11 years old at the MN State Fair. A booth in the Grand Stand building was demonstrating and selling packs of embossing powder. The woman wrote my name with a special marker, dumped an assortment of neon embossing powder and tapped it off, held the paper against an iron and voila! the magic of embossing powder right before my eyes! My parents wouldn't let me get the powders because the sales person wasted so much that mom though the price was ridiculous for the amount used. Little did we know that if you didn't mix the colors, you could dump back into the container. I made my own graduation thank yous 7 years later with turquoise copy paper, a rose corner stamp, a thank you sentiment and silver embossing powder. I melted ALL of them against an iron. I'd never heard of a heat gun. As an adult my mom invited me to a Stampin' Up! party she was hosting for a co-worker and that's where the true addiction started. I used to store everything I owned in a tackle box.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

I started this hobby six years ago thinking I could save $$$ making my own cards. After making my first card I said to DH, "see, it only cost you $400.00!!!!" I have since spent thousands of $$$$ since. Refuse to figure out just exactly how much I've spent, would probably even shock me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #61  
Glitter Guru

I know what you mean. It's hard telling how many $$$ I've spent. The trouble is, I'm still spending. I do enjoy it.
Proud to be a fan club member. #67069
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #62  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
My husband never fails to mention as he shows people around the house that my stamp room is the most expensive room in the house...I have spilled over into 3 additional rooms now...lol
blessings.
My name is Arlene and I'm addicted to card making and buying stuff to feed my addiction.

LOL! I seem to have spilled over, too, from my craft room into my dressing room (old farm house without closets so took over tiny bedroom for my closet), living room floor, and usually all over the kitchen table...my DH keeps making comments about all my stamp stuff (Are these piles already to go on eBay???)...feel guilty that I've been so selfish to spend so much on my stamping stuff. We don't have kids, pay off credit cards each month, mortgage will be paid off in Dec. (WOO HOO!) without any other debit, have money in retirement accounts to last 10 frugal years so far with thoughts of retiring in 5 years...but I do have WAY too much stamping stuff. My cards must cost $1,000 each! :oops:

Last edited by arlenevita; 11-28-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

In 2000, after I had retired, I took a part-time job at a craft store. I had no interest in stamping at that time , but I was amazed at the amount of money people would spend on stamps when we had a sale. They would spend $100 or more .

Stamping equipment and products were quite primitive then and the cards I had seen looked like Handy Hands at Home projects.

In 2008 I was searching for something on the net and accidentally stumbled upon Becca Feeken's site Amazing Paper Grace. I was enchanted with her cards !! I must have spent hours looking at her archives and completely forgot what I was originally trying to find.

I decided I had to learn to make cards like hers. She had a link to Splitcoast on her site so I checked that out too.

Little did I know when I started this journey how much I would enjoy making cards or how much I would spend pursuing this hobby. LOL

This hobby has lead me in directions I never thought I would go. Learning to shade and color with Copics ( I never worked with any art supplies) ;using Digital images ; learning to take acceptable photos; and now an electronic die cutter .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #64  

Quote:

Originally Posted by raquelita_unoView Post
My first introduction to paper crafts was when I was 11 years old at the MN State Fair. A booth in the Grand Stand building was demonstrating and selling packs of embossing powder. The woman wrote my name with a special marker, dumped an assortment of neon embossing powder and tapped it off, held the paper against an iron and voila! the magic of embossing powder right before my eyes! My parents wouldn't let me get the powders because the sales person wasted so much that mom though the price was ridiculous for the amount used. Little did we know that if you didn't mix the colors, you could dump back into the container. I made my own graduation thank yous 7 years later with turquoise copy paper, a rose corner stamp, a thank you sentiment and silver embossing powder. I melted ALL of them against an iron. I'd never heard of a heat gun. As an adult my mom invited me to a Stampin' Up! party she was hosting for a co-worker and that's where the true addiction started. I used to store everything I owned in a tackle box.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
That's a GREAT story. And with the iron.........you are a true pioneer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #65  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
In 2000, after I had retired, I took a part-time job at a craft store. I had no interest in stamping at that time , but I was amazed at the amount of money people would spend on stamps when we had a sale. They would spend $100 or more .

Stamping equipment and products were quite primitive then and the cards I had seen looked like Handy Hands at Home projects.

In 2008 I was searching for something on the net and accidentally stumbled upon Becca Feeken's site Amazing Paper Grace. I was enchanted with her cards !! I must have spent hours looking at her archives and completely forgot what I was originally trying to find.

I decided I had to learn to make cards like hers. She had a link to Splitcoast on her site so I checked that out too.

Little did I know when I started this journey how much I would enjoy making cards or how much I would spend pursuing this hobby. LOL

This hobby has lead me in directions I never thought I would go. Learning to shade and color with Copics ( I never worked with any art supplies) ;using Digital images ; learning to take acceptable photos; and now an electronic die cutter .
Awesome story!! And now here you are hosting swaps which inspires others, so you're paying that inspiration forward.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #66  

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
My name is Arlene and I'm addicted to card making and buying stuff to feed my addiction.

LOL! I seem to have spilled over, too, from my craft room into my dressing room (old farm house without closets so took over tiny bedroom for my closet), living room floor, and usually all over the kitchen table...my DH keeps making comments about all my stamp stuff (Are these piles already to go on eBay???)...feel guilty that I've been so selfish to spend so much on my stamping stuff. We don't have kids, pay off credit cards each month, mortgage will be paid off in Dec. (WOO HOO!) without any other debit, have money in retirement accounts to last 10 frugal years so far with thoughts of retiring in 5 years...but I do have WAY too much stamping stuff. My cards must cost $1,000 each! :oops:
I don't think one can EVER have too much stamping stuff !!! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

You know...I really don't regret one single dollar I've spent on stamping and paper crafting. Ok, I do regret buying the "Tearing Edge" and a few supplies and the one stamp set I bought twice because I couldn't find it when we moved (it turned up of course). I look at it this way. I'm spending disposable income (not money needed to feed and clothe my family). I don't smoke and almost never drink. I like in a modest home in a rural area and I don't go out often. I don't gamble (didn't even buy a powerball ticket). I figure I'm entitled to have a bit of fun since I work full time and bring home a paycheck! I don't even hide my purchases when I come in the door!

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

My hubby says I have so much paper in my stamp room and other goodies that our house is going to tip over into the house next door. I do have lots of paper....um..addiction and I can buy it wholesale I buy twice as much....anyway...I could host a city wide stamping class and supply everything and still have stuff left over....I started stamping 9 years ago and it is my little sisters fault. She has been stamping for over 20 years but I lived clear across the country. Once I moved to just a few miles from her the bug bit me. I spent over $12,000.00 the first year just buying everything and including nice new matchy matchy furniture for my stamp room.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I started about 15 years ago. When I first started, stamping was pretty much done by using one big stamp and coloring it in with colored pencils. Then embossing was big. I actually tried all of these to emboss before I bought a heat gun: lightbulb, electric stove burner, iron, and hair dryer. When I think of how far this craft has come, it amazes me.
I too spend a lot of money, although I try hard to buy most things with a coupon or on sale. I was the last member of my card-making group to buy a Big Shot. But here's the thing: "making things" with my hands has been my passion since I was a little girl. Sometimes I get so many ideas I want to try that it keeps me from getting to sleep. I've learned that I can't go into my studio late at night if I want to sleep at a reasonable time. When I'm making cards, I get into the flow and lose all track of time. That is a sign of doing something that taps into who a person really is, so I figure it's ok. But sometimes I'm in my studio when I should be doing other things, like paying bills! I'm thinking that many of you must share my passion for this.
Reply With Quote Likes