Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to teach decorative painting at my local Michael's. Then they stopped offering any classes whatsoever and turned the classroom into extra storage (with a big see-thru window). Go figure.But they got a new manager, and the store seems to have improved. I use my JoAnn Fabric coupons there!
Chemo Angel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #42  
Glitter Queen

I spend way too much time at Michael's! There are 2 in my area and the people working in both are not friendly at all. I haven't bought the 110 lb paper but bought some of the 12 x 12 pads. Bought 1 (Card Smith brand) that was all gradient paper and went back to buy another one but they didn't have it any more. Very disappointing because I haven' been able to find any nice gradient paper anywhere else since. I guess you have to buy it as soon as you see it because they don't seem to restock the same item once it is gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

I wonder what it is about Michael's hiring such snotty, unfriendly, unhelpful people? The one I go to that is 2 hours away is the same way! I'd much rather go to Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Our local Michael's store is less than satisfactory! Low inventory on stamping stuff, less than friendly staff and more times than not, it is in a complete disarray. Would much rather spend my money in Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by edweezeeView Post
I wonder what it is about Michael's hiring such snotty, unfriendly, unhelpful people? The one I go to that is 2 hours away is the same way! I'd much rather go to Hobby Lobby.

The Michaels I worked at years ago did not give me any training on how to work with the public/customer service training.

Matter of fact my other retail jobs I have had in the past-never gave me any customer service training.

When you get a retail job, you are thrown out on the floor and learn as you go. I have seen when a cashier or other sales person on the floor has to deal with unbearable nasty customers, it is very hard to put that smile on your face for the next customer. And the holiday season is a whole different animal for the retail worker.

I feel everyone should work retail at least for one year to know what it is like. Now with social media and phones videos in sales people faces it is even worst!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the Michaels around here has really helpful, friendly employees. Another is quite good, just not at that level. The others I've visited range from fine to so-so, but no one has ever been rude; they just don't go out of their way. It makes me wonder how much has to do with specific managers. All stores have been neat and clean.

At one of the best ones, I was staring at my phone, and an employee came over, said I looked puzzled and asked if I was having trouble downloading their coupons. Good ESP!

At another, a woman behind me in line was annoyed with herself for not downloading a coupon. I told her I could send her one. The cashier overheard and told me if it was okay with me, she'd just use the coupon on my phone to save us the hassle.

I was stuck in a highway traffic jam one day on the way to a little class. I called to tell them and they told me to come anyway - that the instructor said she'd just stay with me afterwards to make sure I worked through the project.

Employees in the so-so Michaels aren't rude, just either clueless or don't go out of their way. I asked one where paints were and she got a deer-in-the-headlights look. My bad knee was complaining, but I had to trudge around until I found them.

I don't love Hobby Lobby as a company, but went to the closest one once. Employees were extremely polite but didn't know where items were either.

As little as they make, and as difficult as retail can be, I don't expect a lot, but it would be nice for them to know the lay of the land and point me in the right direction. Anything extra is icing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by NessaLynnView Post
I hadn't been to a Michaels in years because I live in Germany. While back home in May I went to Michaels in SC and in Georgia, and have to say, it was very disappointing. Not only did I not find any of the items I was looking for (AI stamps, or any stamps for that matter), but the store was dirty and the employees not very friendly. The item I recently purchased online arrived dirty as well (it was a scrap tote). Not the M I was used to! Went to JoAnns and Hobby Lobby and got almost everything I needed there!

Was there a recent change in management? I vaguely remember something about one of the craft stores being bought up by another company?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

Default Michaels

Our Michaels in the Salem Oregon area has also changed their content and is now featuring home decoration instead of arts and crafts. I used to shop there a lot. I will shop more at Joann's in Salem and I will be going to Hobby Lobby. HL is a little further away, but they have more paper crafting and quilting supplies than Michaels, which are my main interests.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2016, 02:24 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamping ServantView Post
Today I was happy to find the "made in the USA" 110 lb heavyweight card stock at Michael's. I bought one each of the ivory and the white since they only had the made in China packages when I shopped there a few weeks ago.
I will have to check this out. I love this paper, and it is so affordable that I don't feel like I need to ration myself.
Reply With Quote Likes