Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to Michaels with my 50% coupon...

and walked out empty handed. Probably 80% of the Sizzix hooks were empty. Somewhat sadly, CB hooks were NOT empty, which leads me to think that they won't be getting the new embossing folders anytime soon, unless they're expanding CB and shrinking Sizzix. The new Cuttlekids dies had a lot marked for clearance too, I wonder if they weren't a big seller? I really wish the big box stores would get some buyers with a clue on papercrafting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #2  
Montague Mingler

So sad! I hate it when this happens to me!

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree. This must be a nationwide trend as the store in Iowa is the same way. I thought maybe it was just this area. We have a new store opening soon in another close town, I'll have to see if it is the same way when it opens.

My sweet angel boy is now 3 years old!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 04:09 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I find so little at Michael's anymore. I use my 40% and 50% coupons to buy extra cutting blades for my paper cutter. I love having a clean cut edge, and I can get 4 blades for the price of two with coupons. I have 3 of the 50% coupons for this week. I guess I'm in for 6 cutting blades!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 04:32 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I often get crafting magazines with my M's coupons. Everything else is either already on sale or out of stock.

-Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 04:34 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
Somewhat sadly, CB hooks were NOT empty, which leads me to think that they won't be getting the new embossing folders anytime soon
I know ... I don't get it either. NONE of the craft stores (Michael's (2), JoAnn's, AC Moore) around me have any of the new Cuttlebug embossing folders, and when I ask I get the "uh, I don't know" kind of look. Drives me crazy!

I was fortunate to pre-order all the new ones I wanted and received them in early February, but I've been hoping to get some for a friend who recently purchased the Cuttlebug. I guess I'll have to order online for hers as well.

Oh well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Same thing happened to me...makes me sad that the little scrapbooking/stamping stores have closed. Online shopping is ok, but not the same as going into a place, browsing and leaving with new stuff. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwennieJoView Post
I often get crafting magazines with my M's coupons. Everything else is either already on sale or out of stock.

-Gwen
That's a great idea. I never think to buy the mag's there.... If I don't find anything for my 50% off coupon, I'll have to look at mags
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had a similar experience, everything already marked down or out of stock. They had several very large empty shelf sections. I ended up using my 50% off on a can of spray paint. I am getting ready for spring planting and plan to use the paint to spruce up some of the flower pots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

We really are in the same boats, aren't we? I wish the head honchos of M's would read these threads. I've often walked out with my 40% coupon in hand or just passed it to someone else walking in!
Today, I'll take my 50% one and try to find something...probably in the "outdoor" stuff...plant stakes, etc...
I, too , have often looked at books there, even cookbooks for heaven's sake, just to use up the coupon, but sheesh.....I hate buying something JUST because I have a coupon.
So...maybe it'll be summer beads this time, to make our DD some fresh, new necklaces! That might just be the ticket! Unless they're all on sale...sigh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was lucky and was able to use my 50% coupon to buy a cuttlebug (whoohoo!). I won't buy the embossing folders from them because they are twice the price I can get them online (even with shipping to Canada!). I've waited forever to be able to use a coupon for the cuttlebug. Usually, they discount it for 10% or 25% when the coupons come out so you can't use the 40% or 50% coupon for it, but not this time.... I was doing the happy dance this weekend
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #12  
Babe-Alicious!!

Was there a Michaels ad this week with the 50% coupon? I didnt get one in my paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Yes there was a great 50% off coupon in yesterday's paper and the great thing was none of the scrapbooking stuff was on sale so it actually works on lots of items. (normally when I go in with a coupon everything I seem to want is already on sale)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanniebabesView Post
Was there a Michaels ad this week with the 50% coupon? I didnt get one in my paper.
Mine wasn't really a sales circular. It was a 2 sided glossy ad with the coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I was lucky and was able to use my 50% coupon to buy a cuttlebug (whoohoo!). I won't buy the embossing folders from them because they are twice the price I can get them online (even with shipping to Canada!). I've waited forever to be able to use a coupon for the cuttlebug. Usually, they discount it for 10% or 25% when the coupons come out so you can't use the 40% or 50% coupon for it, but not this time.... I was doing the happy dance this weekend
Hooray for you, Cat_Woman!
Yes, shipping can be a nuisance to Canada, but I ordered some scrapbooking stuff from Trinitycrafts.com in Ontario and had wonderful service!
Also...scrappingreatdeals.com...I ordered my Cuttlebug embossing folders (the large ones, like Swiss Dot) from Sheila and she's a peach to deal with! My package even came with a Werthers candy on top of the tissues!
GREAT prices and LOW shipping, and you can tell she really cares about her customers!! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Wow! Where do you find the folders online that cheap? I'd be interested in knowing! I usually use a 40% off coupon to get them, but I'd rather not spend gas going out to get one at a time.

Thanks for the info!

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Ya know, unless I happen to be in the area of Michaels (Staples and Walmart), I just don't bother anymore. Besides not finding 'new' items, their staff seems very disassociated with their 'customer service'. EVERYTIME, no matter which Michaels I happened to visit in the past, they always have boxes on the floor, ladder blocking aisles (wouldn't you know it the papercrafting ones!), or constantly out of items that have not been restocked for ages.

I SO wish we could get an ACMoore here!! I miss my ACMoore in Portland Maine!!! "Carol" there was like a MOM to me and she was so helpful in making sure I was taken care with her excellent customer service skills. She truly looked like she loved her job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamschroView Post
That's a great idea. I never think to buy the mag's there.... If I don't find anything for my 50% off coupon, I'll have to look at mags
I just realized this too! I never see the books on sale there. This week, with my 50% off coupon I got the "Cherish" scrapbooking book! I have been coveting this book for a while, but when I saw it, I knew what my coupon was destined for!

Clean your home without chemicals!
Find out how...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #19  
Babe-Alicious!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanneMarieView Post
Yes there was a great 50% off coupon in yesterday's paper and the great thing was none of the scrapbooking stuff was on sale so it actually works on lots of items. (normally when I go in with a coupon everything I seem to want is already on sale)

Thanks! I found it. Never let your DH go thru the paper to get the ads! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Michaels sale flyer for this week is just a half page 2 sided ad with not much on it. But it does have a 50% coupon in the middle.

The 2 Michaels store near me have the same old tired stock. Even the newer one has the same old stuff. The only thing new is the Cuttlekids........I'm not into cartoon stuff. Many of the Sizzix dies are now discontinued, but Michaels still sells them for full price. I will say that AC Moore did get the new Christmas dies this past year or most of them. Neither chain store has any new Cuttlebug stuff. I've talked to merchandisers for both chains and they claim they have no control over what they get.

Michaels nor AC Moore allows magazines to be purchased with their coupons. But you can use them for books in either store. Both stores do have a very good selection of books. I've recently gotten some super teaching/techinque books at AC Moore.

I find for the newer AC Moore stores, they do have more selection of the newer stuff even magazines and books than the older stores. I think it's just because they are larger stores.

I really prefer to support my local chain and independent craft stores rather than do so much on-line shopping. The customer service is much better than I find on-line. Also, if anything is wrong, you just return it to the store for a refund or exchange rather than havng to deal with mailing back. Also I like the contact with both store staff and customers. I've gotten lots of good ideas from talking to store staff and customers while shopping.

These are just my opinions and I realize other people may not agree. I also realize that things are different in various parts of the country.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
.... I really wish the big box stores would get some buyers with a clue on papercrafting.
Amen, Sister! On the rare occasions when I visit the Big3 now, I tend to hand my coupon to whoever is walking in while I am walking out. So sad - but thank goodness for Stampin'Up! I buy almost everything I need from myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

When I cant find anything for myself these days I will go over and pick out DD a book or a thomas the tank item. Hate to waste it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

"Michaels nor AC Moore allows magazines to be purchased with their coupons. But you can use them for books in either store."

I use my coupons at my local Michael's for magazines all the time. Maybe it's an individual store policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

I want to tell them "EVERYONE has these CB folders - that is why they aren't selling! Get a clue and get some new ones!"

I work Sundays and Mike's closes at 7 pm. I have about 15 minutes after work to go in and look around. It is NOT enjoyable because they make that "Get Outta the Store" announcement every five minutes (you know - the one about bringing your final selections to the register because they are closing in fifteen- ten-five minutes). The tone on the loudspeaker is hostile and it is clearly directed at me because I usually am the last one left in the store. I go in with a coupon, wander around and don't get a real chance to look at anything and mostly walk out buying nothing and getting filthy looks from the employees who only want to go home.

Then I ask myself "Why do I do this?" but go back the next week and do it all over again! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #25  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelanne21View Post
"Michaels nor AC Moore allows magazines to be purchased with their coupons. But you can use them for books in either store."

I use my coupons at my local Michael's for magazines all the time. Maybe it's an individual store policy.
Ditto! That's how I get all my craft magazines!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well - I struck gold at Michaels yesterday. They had one Elmers X-acto cutting/cropping emsemble that was originally $60. It was marked down to $30. I had a 50% off coupon - the total was $15 !!!! I had a $25 gift card, so I bought some extra cutting cartridges. Now I still have $1.09 left on the gift card - (???? what to do with THAT??)

I love it when I stumble on deals like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanniebabesView Post
Thanks! I found it. Never let your DH go thru the paper to get the ads! :rolleyes:

ha ha---my husband would probably "accidently" toss it also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I really prefer to support my local chain and independent craft stores rather than do so much on-line shopping. The customer service is much better than I find on-line. Also, if anything is wrong, you just return it to the store for a refund or exchange rather than havng to deal with mailing back. Also I like the contact with both store staff and customers. I've gotten lots of good ideas from talking to store staff and customers while shopping.
Patti, I would do this in a heartbeat if there were any local/indy craft stores. I know of one scrapbooking store in my area, and it's tiny, not much selection. Not one stamping store exists in the Philadelphia region--I have to drive to Lancaster for one, and last time I was there I left disappointed in the selection. The best one I've found is in York, and it's a 2+ hour drive away. Just not happening with the price of gas these days. Sadly, I'm stuck with tired selections at the big box stores, or online shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

it is a sad day when you walk in a craft store and can't find a single thing you want to buy. It;s either in my case, I have what I want from the store already and the merchandise is the same, or sold out. I lean more toward the first than the latter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #30  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

50% off & nothing to buy? That's when I buy adhesive type stuff. Glue dots, xyron cartridge refills etc. I don't get to M's very often where I live, but my Mom has one near her and that's what she buys for her/me when she has a coupon & nothing to use it on.
You might also consider donating your coupon to someone. Many teachers, scouts, church groups use lots of basic crafting supplies - fun foam, glitter glue etc. that they would love to get discounts on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Jen, I agree. I live near Neshaminy Mall. There is a scrapping store in NJ but thats a haul too. We have 2 AC Moore, 2 JoAnns and 2 Michaels. There is an AC Moore and a Michaels right next store to each other....I go in one, come out, and go in the other and buy nothing Maybe I have everthing.... NAAAAAA. Peggy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Was it an online coupon this week or a paper coupon?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmie0270View Post
Was it an online coupon this week or a paper coupon?
I got one with my Thursday junk mail and one in the Sunday paper. It's just a heavyweight piece of paper, not a whole flyer.

I don't buy books or magazines because I find that I don't really look at them. There's much more to see on SCS. Oh, and about buying adhesive with the coupon--I use the ATG, and they've been sold out of Mono Multi for months, so nothing to buy there either! I tried, I really did :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

can I use the cuttlebug folders in my "big kick"
Caroline
Minnetonka, MN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #35  
Glitter Queen

I found Michael's to be lacking also.
My Hobby Lobby has a much better selection of CB
Looking for Swiss Dots - my Hobby Lobby hasn't gotten them in yet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandydittmerView Post
Wow! Where do you find the folders online that cheap? I'd be interested in knowing! I usually use a 40% off coupon to get them, but I'd rather not spend gas going out to get one at a time.

Thanks for the info!

Sandy
Sandy....at stampingreatdeals.com, I ordered 3 fold-over embossers (the Swiss Dot was one), and each was 5.95.
The shipping charge was just what Can Post costs...and Sheila tossed in a candy for me! ;-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
50% off & nothing to buy? That's when I buy adhesive type stuff. Glue dots, xyron cartridge refills etc. I don't get to M's very often where I live, but my Mom has one near her and that's what she buys for her/me when she has a coupon & nothing to use it on.
You might also consider donating your coupon to someone. Many teachers, scouts, church groups use lots of basic crafting supplies - fun foam, glitter glue etc. that they would love to get discounts on.
Another Michael's adhesive buyer here. I don't think I've paid full price for a glue dot in years. Of course, I'd rather be buying some of the wonderful stamps, cb folders, markers, paper, primas or other stuff I see online with that coupon but what's a girl to do... Michael's and Joanns need to get a clue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

I finally bought a Cuttlebug this weekend and used my 50% off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I thought this was only happening on Long Island...glad to hear its not!! What is it with these stores that they get "new stuff" once a year? I can't remember the last time I went into a Michaels and said...omg!! I want that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I thought this was only happening on Long Island...glad to hear its not!! What is it with these stores that they get "new stuff" once a year? I can't remember the last time I went into a Michaels and said...omg!! I want that!!
Reply With Quote Likes