Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #161  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stamp sets in the supplement seem expensive for unmounted sets. Are the sets in the main catalog cheaper?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #162  
Gallery Gazer

There are quite a few sets for $5.95, $7.95 and $10.95. Definately lots of different styles to choose from!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #163  
Gallery Gazer

Hm...I'm bummin' because I just found out that the online catalogue is down today...so check back tomorrow for the "other" sets that I mentioned.

Hey Gina K! We think alike! I typed up to stick stamps on a poster sized plexiglass and then erased my response because I thought everyone would think I was silly!! I do keep my backgrounds and really big stamps on the binder sheets (two fit per side) and the rest are in CD cases. I like being able to grab the containers I need and stamp on the coffee table (my usual place is the laundry room! ugh!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #164  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
Okay, for wall storage of bigger stamps, how about mounting a larger sheet of plexiglass, you know a huge thin acrylic block on the wall. LOL. It would work! I might have to do that. You can buy large acrylic frames at frame stores and walmart etc... You could stamp a piece of cardstock or print out something on your printer to go inside the frame and then you could put those huge stamps right on the wall next to your cds. Hmmmm. Now I want the Einstein smiley! LOL
Gina K.
Oooh ooh good idea Gina!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #165  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey ya'll, if you want to discuss things without all the bashing and arguing, come to A Shade of Blue. We love ALL stampers, scrapbookers, companies, everything! [/QUOTE]

ok, so now you've piqued my interest...what is A Shade of Blue, am assuming a website with shared stamp art but what is the url? Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #166  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
OK, some thoughts:

We all get defensive and protective of things we love--that is a natural, human instinct.

Stating an honest opinion is not bashing, and I'll be the first to admit: It's very easy to read more into a post than is really there. After all, everything's personal, if you're a person, eh?!

But, really, we need to step back and look at it for what it is, before we jump in and turn it into something it's not, or should not be.

I appreciate the Queen's input...the other queen, that is...

For the record, I'm going to repeat what I said before, at the risk of sounding unprofessional or whatever....

I am not bashing TAC. I had some questions, legitimate questions, about TAC products. I really didn't understand how the pricing works because I've always been told that unmounted saves you money. So I said I "didn't get it" because I DIDN'T GET IT. I wanted to know WHY. I wouldn't ask if I didn't genuinely want to know. Fortunately, some people who are TAC demos seemed to understand this perfectly well and gave me the explanation I was looking for.

The OP posted this in a "talk" thread. That means that we are free to talk about what she is talking about, isn't that so? And if we are not allowed to do anything but go, "I really like it all!" it becomes, not talk, but ADVERTISING. If you want to advertise on this site, you buy and pay for an ad. If you want to talk about stamps, you post in the forums and you are prepared for people to voice their opinion about what you have posted about. The OP knew this, as she stated. So why all these accusations of "bashing" when some of us were just stating opinions or looking for information?

These are stamps, inks and papers that we use and sell. It is not our personal religion (whatever some people may think...we are not a cult! :mrgreen Don't take it personally when someone says something is too expensive for them. They know their budget best. So when I said I thought *some* of the paper was too expensive *for me* that is all I meant. When I said that *for myself* I prefer wood mounted, that didn't mean that everyone should use wood mounted. My *personal* preference. Not a dictate of what others should do.

I think the OP is the one we ought to be applauding for her grace under pressure. She's the professional. If I were to buy TAC products, she would be the first one I'd contact.

Now, can we all go back to our knitting?

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #167  
Forum Fanatic

Well said. I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I posted the supplement because I thought people might want to know it was available. If I wanted to make sales from it, I would have sent it to my customers (which I did). If I wanted to skirt the solicitation rules (which I didn't) I would have added something like "contact an Angel today" simply wanted people to see what was out there.

I think the thread went back to positive, and I'm loving the storage discussions. But it is hard to see people say that "everything violates copyright" because, while these aren't stamps we made, when you demo for a company, they become a small part of you.

As for-
Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
don't get me started. Grace under pressure does not come into play here. I AM still so mad about my last knitting project that I haven't knit in 5 months. The gauge was right... so why didn't the sweater fit! Thank goodness I made my husband try it on before cutting the steak. But everytime I try to start something, I get pissed off again and can't do it. Even a freaking garter stitch scarf. Yarn makes me mad now. Now that the weather is changing again, my husband is wanting the sweater...

Oh wait, you have no idea what I'm talking about-
see here...
Exhibit A: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2120560277
Exhibit B: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2120560277
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #168  
Forum Fanatic

Urgh, my completely off topic links didn't work.
Try these if you really want to see my sad sad knitting project.
A: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...0560277&idx=39
B: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...0560277&idx=42

OH- and since I should be somewhat on topic- if you are interested in seeing some TAC samples, I just posted all the cards from the TAC swap I hosted in an album in my gallery. The ladies who stamped these cards really did an awesome job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #169  
Crimping Master

For you who asked...A Shade of Blue can be found at www.ashadeofblue.net. Feel free to join us there. :-)

HTH!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #170  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321

As for-

don't get me started. Grace under pressure does not come into play here. I AM still so mad about my last knitting project that I haven't knit in 5 months. The gauge was right... so why didn't the sweater fit! Thank goodness I made my husband try it on before cutting the steak. But everytime I try to start something, I get pissed off again and can't do it. Even a freaking garter stitch scarf. Yarn makes me mad now. Now that the weather is changing again, my husband is wanting the sweater...

see here...
I am amazed...:mrgreen: Steeking is something I haven't tried yet...cutting into something I knit...the whole idea gives me heebie jeebies!

Why didn't it fit even though you got gauge? There could be a lot of explanations:

a) You got gauge on your swatch, which you knit back and forth, but you knit the sweater on circular needles, which is a whole different banana. If you want to get a correct gauge for circular knitting, you have to knit across on your swatch, pull the yarn back the the right side of the swatch and knit again in the same direction, being careful to leave enough yarn so you don't pull the swatch into a tube...so that you are knitting every row in the same direction. Frankly, this is a pain in the patute, so I usually just start the sleeve first so I can see if I am getting the correct circular gauge before I start the sweater body.

b) You got gauge when you started, but as you knitted you unconsciously tightened up your knitting and by the time you were done you were no longer on gauge. The trick? Check your gauge often and try to adjust your tension so you get the same gauge all the way through.

c) You wound your yarn into balls and you stretched the yarn a bit as you did it. So when you knit, you got gauge, but when the yarn in the sweater had a chance to relax, it went back to it's original state, which would tighten the gauge of the knitting. Solution? Wind your yarn balls more loosely.

Ooops! :mrgreen:..this is a stamping forum...you got me to ride my favorite hobby horse.;) Shall we get back to our stamping, LOL!?

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #171  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: imprisoned temporarily in my own house! arrrgh!!&^%$#@

Quote:

Originally Posted by allamericanstampers
They are 7 1/2 inches long...and we have a block that's 1 1/2 x 8 that was left out of the catalog this year, but it's online or you can ask your demo to order it if you need it.

That's one of my must haves! I just hate dragging my sewing machine out for a card...and then you always have to cut and tie the loose thread! This is much easier!!
I do not have a TAC demo, I used to have a gal in OHIO that would swap TAC orders with me for SU orders a few times a year. I do not even have a current catty.
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #172  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I have a bunch of picture frames right above my stamping table. I don't use them for stamp storage- but when I am working for long periods of time, I keep all the stamps use stuck to the picture frames.
ROFLMOBO! I have never had this idea cross my mind! I find it so stinking funny! I am going to have to try it on my magnet board on the wall next to my spot. If that fails, I am going to have to hang a picture! Free up some space for the actual stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: imprisoned temporarily in my own house! arrrgh!!&^%$#@

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyR
That does sound funny but I've been wondering the same thing!! Is it possible to find DVD cases that you can actually remove the holder?? I've *never* found any. I don't "get" where you would put the stamps if it still has the area to hold the DVD:confused:
I have rec'd aol and other company's promotional stuff in a translucent dvd style case, that did not have the insert 'thingy" I keep several tac and other unmounted's that I have purchased on Evilbay (with cling) in. They would work great for these longer ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #174  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just remembered that I have purchased empty DVD cases at Walgreens without an insert because that's what I keep my Twinkling H2O's in! I don't remember how much they were. It they carried them, they must be available other places too.

-Joyce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #175  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Just jumping in to say a big WOW! to all of your doll clothes-making projects - I'm impressed!

Jumping back out now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #176  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedScramper
ROFLMOBO! I have never had this idea cross my mind! I find it so stinking funny! I am going to have to try it on my magnet board on the wall next to my spot. If that fails, I am going to have to hang a picture! Free up some space for the actual stamping!

Even funnier - here's where my mind went: why not just stick them on the window over my stamping table! LOL!

Can you tell I drive a minivan with the back inside windows COVERED in stickers from my 3 year old? I used to wonder why on earth mothers would let their kids do that and how come they didn't scrape them off.

Now I know.....ANYTHING to keep them quiet sometimes and who has the time to scrape the windows??????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #177  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by valeriecathleen
Even funnier - here's where my mind went: why not just stick them on the window over my stamping table! LOL!

Can you tell I drive a minivan with the back inside windows COVERED in stickers from my 3 year old? I used to wonder why on earth mothers would let their kids do that and how come they didn't scrape them off.

Now I know.....ANYTHING to keep them quiet sometimes and who has the time to scrape the windows??????
Oooh, don't do that! The cling gets warped if the sun is beating down on it! I had mine sitting in a toasty window area once and the cling shrank! Aaaggghhhhhhh! So, I'd steer clear of that!

And, I, too, have sticker windows. My little fart, I mean dd, got stickers in a happy meal ne day and did that. I didn't notice, so they baked on as we shopped. uggh. rotten kids!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #178  
Stampin' Fool

Can anyone tell me if there is a way for someone in Canada to get a TAC set? I really like the flourishes set but I don't have any idea what your TAC policies are.

My creative therapy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #179  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

c) You wound your yarn into balls and you stretched the yarn a bit as you did it. So when you knit, you got gauge, but when the yarn in the sweater had a chance to relax, it went back to it's original state, which would tighten the gauge of the knitting. Solution? Wind your yarn balls more loosely.
Ooops! :mrgreen:..this is a stamping forum...you got me to ride my favorite hobby horse.;) Shall we get back to our stamping, LOL!?
WOW I didn�t know that! My daughter is going to learn how to knit (a friend is teaching her, since I�m clueless), but she�s been winding all her yarn in balls all weekend! I�ll have to mention to her not to wind them to tight�great advice!

Okay back to stamping ~ ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #180  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherylPenner
Can anyone tell me if there is a way for someone in Canada to get a TAC set? I really like the flourishes set but I don't have any idea what your TAC policies are.
I know some TAC demo's ship to Canada ~ I know of a couple. I could pass along their names to you if you like ~ ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #181  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I started out doing 8 1/2 x 11, BTW, and switched to 12 by 12 because I liked to put more than a few photos on a page and because all the really cool paper was coming out in that size. Ny local stamp/scrap store has almost totally STOPPED selling 8 1/2 x 11 paper and they don't have the scrapbooks anymore either.
Have you tried 11* 8 1/2 landscape scrapping? It's very cool, and the layout in general is a lot more versatile than portrait oriented. The albums are tough to find, but it is my newest scrapping addiction.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #182  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I appreciate the Queen's input...the other queen, that is...

For the record, I'm going to repeat what I said before, at the risk of sounding unprofessional or whatever....

I am not bashing TAC. I had some questions, legitimate questions, about TAC products. I really didn't understand how the pricing works because I've always been told that unmounted saves you money. So I said I "didn't get it" because I DIDN'T GET IT. I wanted to know WHY. I wouldn't ask if I didn't genuinely want to know. Fortunately, some people who are TAC demos seemed to understand this perfectly well and gave me the explanation I was looking for.

The OP posted this in a "talk" thread. That means that we are free to talk about what she is talking about, isn't that so? And if we are not allowed to do anything but go, "I really like it all!" it becomes, not talk, but ADVERTISING. If you want to advertise on this site, you buy and pay for an ad. If you want to talk about stamps, you post in the forums and you are prepared for people to voice their opinion about what you have posted about. The OP knew this, as she stated. So why all these accusations of "bashing" when some of us were just stating opinions or looking for information?

These are stamps, inks and papers that we use and sell. It is not our personal religion (whatever some people may think...we are not a cult! :mrgreen Don't take it personally when someone says something is too expensive for them. They know their budget best. So when I said I thought *some* of the paper was too expensive *for me* that is all I meant. When I said that *for myself* I prefer wood mounted, that didn't mean that everyone should use wood mounted. My *personal* preference. Not a dictate of what others should do.

I think the OP is the one we ought to be applauding for her grace under pressure. She's the professional. If I were to buy TAC products, she would be the first one I'd contact.

Hi Jan,
It sounds like you are refering to my post. (I am not sure of that, however, I am the only one who used the word unprofessional and that is the way you began your post so, again, I am only assuming.) I am sorry if I offended you. It was not your post I was referring to but rather the general tone of the thread. I will no longer post anything regarding this thread. I should take my own advice- If I don't like something, I should avoid it. I am off to avoid this thread. Again, I apologize to anyone who I offended.
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #183  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

WOW, you are quite the seamstress, the doll dresses are just "da bomb" and your knitting loods great too. I can see that you are quite crafty.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #184  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my dolly
WOW, you are quite the seamstress, the doll dresses are just "da bomb" and your knitting loods great too. I can see that you are quite crafty.:p
Not quite sure what loods is but your knitting looks great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #185  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82
Have TAC prices gone up in general? I checked out the link to the Fall Supplement that the OP had and was shocked at the prices.
Just to answer your question, TAC prices have been the same since 2004. Some of the prices jumped after the 03/04 catalog, the $9.95 went to $10.95, the $19.95 stayed the same, and the full sheet stamp sets (which were pretty much all gone by then, most the full sheet sets were discontinued and replaced by the large alphas also on the full 8*10 sheets) went from $29.95 to $39.95. TAC also switched manufacturers that year and the rubber was better quality. But all full sheets have been $39.95 since then, and no other prices have gone up since.

Hope that helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #186  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
I know some TAC demo's ship to Canada ~ I know of a couple. I could pass along their names to you if you like ~ ;)
That would be great. Thanks, or PM me their e-mail address. Thanks Jovi!

My creative therapy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #187  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslauri
Have you tried 11* 8 1/2 landscape scrapping? It's very cool, and the layout in general is a lot more versatile than portrait oriented. The albums are tough to find, but it is my newest scrapping addiction.
I got an 8.5 x 11 landscape album at Officemax of all places! It was on clearance though, so they most likely don't carry them any more. I LOVE it though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #188  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I believe one of our more well known members is a member of the AMuse design team, though I could be wrong. I'm sure that because of her experience in the stamping industry, she has developed a thick skin, but I've never seen any thread about AMuse, or even Michael's dollar stamps take a negative turn.

As for offending TAC demos- I have to say some of the things people said made me a little confused, specifically the copyright thing. I typed out my response, and then decided I didn't want to add to the negativity, so I deleted it. I tried to only answer questions, or comments positively. I am very excited about TAC- and I'm very new to them, which is part of the reason I'm excited about them. SCS is the only reason I know this company exists. I'm not trying to take away SU's customers... in fact, I'm still one.
Slight hijack. I'm glad to see someone from Iowa on the boards. I have only used clear/cling stamps once because I almost ripped the 'M' apart trying to get it off the block. Is there a trick to removing the stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #189  
Gallery Gazer

The Angel Company (TAC) stamps are actually rubber just like SU's so they won't pull, stretch...etc when you peel them on and off. :grin: They come with cling foam so its really a very sturdy set up. And they stick firmly to an acrylic block.

I get the willies too with the clear acrylic stamps because I am sure I'll rip them. Of course I keep buying them when I see a stamp set I "must" have!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #190  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I learned to knit and made 5 scarves last winter!!!

I'm working on #6 now as I watch my DD's volleyball games! Beautiful shade of red. I only know 1 (yes, count it: one!) stitch, and that's the way I like it. My daughter wants me to make her a hat. Uh oh . . .

OK, mini-jack over:

The Flourishes set is *uber* cool, and I so is that new "stitches" set is one of the most versatile I've ever seen!

And, I still think somebody needs to send me a trophy (or chocolate) for my momentary flash of Einstein on that plastic CH box. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #191  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I learned to knit and made 5 scarves last winter!!!

I'm working on #6 now as I watch my DD's volleyball games! Beautiful shade of red. I only know 1 (yes, count it: one!) stitch, and that's the way I like it. My daughter wants me to make her a hat. Uh oh . . .

OK, mini-jack over:

The Flourishes set is *uber* cool, and I so is that new "stitches" set is one of the most versatile I've ever seen!

And, I still think somebody needs to send me a trophy (or chocolate) for my momentary flash of Einstein on that plastic CH box. :p
I agree...those are both super! Love them. I would like to see the catalog as well.....is it online also?

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #192  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Well said. I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I posted the supplement because I thought people might want to know it was available. If I wanted to make sales from it, I would have sent it to my customers (which I did). If I wanted to skirt the solicitation rules (which I didn't) I would have added something like "contact an Angel today" simply wanted people to see what was out there.

I think the thread went back to positive, and I'm loving the storage discussions. But it is hard to see people say that "everything violates copyright" because, while these aren't stamps we made, when you demo for a company, they become a small part of you.

As for-

see here...

Well at least you can knit!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #193  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmama
I agree...those are both super! Love them. I would like to see the catalog as well.....is it online also?
You can see the online catalogue at any of the demonstrators IsMyAngel website. To find them you would visit www.thangelcompany.net and click on Shop Now for the Angel Locator.

The online catalogue is different than the actual Idea Book & Catalogue. It is simply all the TAC products that are carried in the catalogue. And the sites are also shopping carts - which is why they do not use the actual catalogue scanned in.

HTH!
Jana ~Angel #1251~ Manager with The Angel Company and List Mom for TAC Addicted
http://jana.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #194  
Insane Embellisher

Personally I like many things in the catalog and don't like as many too. The same goes with every other company out there. I do not think you can cater to everyone. What drew me to TAC was the back of the catalog. The accesories, inks, supplies, etc are phenominal. I also like the paper designs. SEI packages thier (12X12) pp packs the same way. The additions of thingys are fun. Like a present. (yeah I know I am silly)

I don't purchase based on storage, or convenience, I purchase based on likes and dislikes. I think everyone truely does this.

And with regard to knitting, I wish I could so it. I want it sooooo bad it hurts, but I am the absolute worst. I can hand embroider, crazy quilt stich, just about anything with my hands, BUT knit. I start fine then get so tight I can barely fit my needles in. I envy those that can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #195  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliehrr
Criminy. :rolleyes:

I meant to say:

The Flourishes set is *uber* cool, and I think that the new "stitches" set is one of the most versatile I've ever seen. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #196  
Gallery Gazer

See...we DO need the edit button!!

I was thinking that they looked alot like what you see on the digital scrapbooking...you could probably use paint on these and stamp on top of photos, huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #197  
Stazon Splitcoast

Since we're hi-jacking about knitting.....

I started using the Knifty Knitter last year and it's so easy! Even my kids can do it. I used the long one to make some scarves during chemotherapy, it was awesome. You can do hats with the round ones (or scarves) but I haven't tried it yet. This might be incentive to get them out again....and just the thing to work on during swim lessons.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread........

Oh, yeah.....Love the stitches set. You could even go around the rim of a bucket or clay pot with these since they are unmounted.

-Joyce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #198  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodlepie99

And with regard to knitting, I wish I could so it. I want it sooooo bad it hurts, but I am the absolute worst. I can hand embroider, crazy quilt stich, just about anything with my hands, BUT knit. I start fine then get so tight I can barely fit my needles in. I envy those that can!
I've taught a few people how to knit. Most people start out too tight because they carefully pull each stitch tight before going on to the next one.

Instead, get some yarn you don't particularly care about, and start knitting. Don't pay any attention to getting each stitch perfectly tensioned, just knit and knit and knit *without* pulling the yarn tight after each stitch...just let it hang there and mind itself. Get the rhythm down first and what you'll find is that after knitting like that for a while, your hands will settle into a steady tensioning process that is not too tight or too loose.

Once that happens, you just figure out whether you knit a little tighter or looser than most people. So when you're trying to hit gauge, if you knit tighter, you knit on bigger needles than are suggested in the directions...if you knit loose (like me), you have to use smaller needles. You knit your swatch and if you find that you have less stitches than you are supposed to per inch, you are knitting looser than gauge and you need to go down a needle size. If you have more stitches per inch than gauge you go up.

I didn't used to enjoy knitting either, but once I figured out that people do not all have to knit to the exact same tension on the same needles and that it was possible to adjust things to accomodate the way I knit, it was much more fun!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #199  
Watercolor Wizard

hijack again ~
What is the difference between knitting and crocheting? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #200  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
hijack again ~
What is the difference between knitting and crocheting? :confused:
Knitting uses two needles; crocheting uses a single "hook".
Reply With Quote Likes