Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #121  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperdoll StephView Post
Thanks for posting the brochure. Even after seeing the products, I feel the same way... it's basically what I thought. They are pretty, but how many of those can you put up on your walls? I will maybe get a few eventually, but it's not something like a hobby where you can keep buying and creating. It doesn't seem like a product line that has a lot of longevity, at least for me personally. I'm not going to be changing my wall decor every week or every day... but on the other hand, I can design new cards or paper crafts every day! I think it would have been more worthwhile to come out with a vinyl or die-cutting machine where you could make wall decor items (along with other items) if they were really eager to get into home decor. I would have much rather preferred that, because, probably like most other SU customers, I'm into crafts. I'd rather make something than buy it.
couple things:

these are easily removable, so if you want to change them it would be easy to do. leave them up for a month or a year, they can be changed when your tastes change, and cheaper than repainting. My mom tends to redecorate every season, so these will be great for that...

think about this line as a hostess and not just a customer. How many times have you held a party where one or more of your guests have said "i'm just not crafty!"... well, now you have something to offer them that they could actually use, thus helping you reach your benefit level without pushing something on your friends they don't want. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcookie44View Post
I also demo two companies- Stampin' Up! and another that shall remain nameless to protect the innocent... I knew when I signed up for Company #2 that if SU! ever branched into that area, I would have to choose. Is it likely they'll end up in that area? No. But if they do, I will choose. I agreed to the rules when I signed my demo agreement for both companies. (The rules concerning competing products are very similar for both of them). And my personal opinion- vinyl is not that unrelated. SU has been doing creative projects for years, and not all cards and scrapbooking.

This is not what this is about. It goes deeper. If you had to say good-bye to half of your income you would understand. I understand what the terms of agreement are, it is just that this product has nothing to do with SU! This is not being done for the right reasons.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry_iannucciView Post
This is not what this is about. It goes deeper. If you had to say good-bye to half of your income you would understand. I understand what the terms of agreement are, it is just that this product has nothing to do with SU! This is not being done for the right reasons.
What do you mean "not being done for the right reasons"? SU! is a business and they are bringing a new product into their line up to expand the business and hopefully make more money.
Gabfest Goddess

I find it funny that so many people who have a problem with SU expanding "out of their box" were so THRILLED when Martha Stewart did it! :???: why is it ok for her to pursue a new niche and not SU?
Kookie Creator

I think they are gorgeous -- quotes and phrases were everywhere at Craft and Hobby in February -- many companies will be releasing similiar products. I think its a great way to work with their fabulous stamp designs and designers. Also, the customer is the same, she is "handy" and always ready to try something new, she is always redoing and reacessorizing her rooms......

I too thought it might be a cuttlebug type of product, but I'll probably spend just as much on this! I'm making a list!
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cydstampsView Post
I think it is insulting to everyone to have some of you say this should be discussed on the "demo" side like the customers are stupid and can't think for themselves and will be led a stray by somebody venting about their frustrations.

I thought the OP raised some good points, I did not think she was "bashing" SU. She is frustrated and I can understand that frustration. I no doubt she would feel the same way if the company situation was reversed and the other company decided to come out with stamping products and having to choose that way. See a non demo person can think for themselves. Duh!
That's just silly. No one is being insulting by saying maybe some of this should be a discussion between demos. I'm certainly not saying it's a bad idea to discuss the pros & cons of a PRODUCT. And I never said customers couldn't think for themselves. My point was that when discussing company policies etc. sometimes it's better to discuss among fellow demos for that company that know the rules, background, past announcements, etc.

It's the exact same reason I don't discuss most of the "internal workings" of my marriage with my mom & my friends. If I'm constantly telling them "My husband's such a jerk- guess what he said today!" everytime I'm frustrated, they end up thinking he's a jerk. I, on the other hand, love him and forget about the "problem" almost as soon as it happens. If it's a big problem, I discuss it with him and we fix it ourselves. Same sort of deal. Doesn't mean they're stupid or can't think for themselves- it just isn't a discussion in which they need to be involved.

Last edited by smartcookie44; 06-18-2008 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

It IS what this is about. I'm sorry that this new product line is affecting some demonstrators negatively- truly, I am. It's not a fun position for anyone having to choose, and my prayers are with you. But sometimes tough things happen. This product has just as much to do with SU! as any other creative product they already carry, for example, the rubons they introduced last year. Another way to use their images, another option for coordinating, another product to offer our customers. It's not like they brought out a new product line just to spite a handful of people. I know it's probably still really a fresh hurt right now, but none of this situation is personal.
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperdoll StephView Post
Thanks for posting the brochure. Even after seeing the products, I feel the same way... it's basically what I thought. They are pretty, but how many of those can you put up on your walls? I will maybe get a few eventually, but it's not something like a hobby where you can keep buying and creating. It doesn't seem like a product line that has a lot of longevity, at least for me personally. I'm not going to be changing my wall decor every week or every day... but on the other hand, I can design new cards or paper crafts every day! I think it would have been more worthwhile to come out with a vinyl or die-cutting machine where you could make wall decor items (along with other items) if they were really eager to get into home decor. I would have much rather preferred that, because, probably like most other SU customers, I'm into crafts. I'd rather make something than buy it.
Just a note.... they will go on anything and everything.....vases, tiles, appliances, car windows, house windows, wood plaques, plates, frames, I could go on and on.....

I'm thinking great gifts for weddings, imagine the couple's monogram on a nice tile...and every other gift giving holiday.

Of course I'm biased....as you can see in my siggy line :rolleyes: . I can't wait to see all of the other new and great stuff in the upcoming catty!
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcookie44View Post
It IS what this is about. I'm sorry that this new product line is affecting some demonstrators negatively- truly, I am. It's not a fun position for anyone having to choose, and my prayers are with you. But sometimes tough things happen. This product has just as much to do with SU! as any other creative product they already carry, for example, the rubons they introduced last year. Another way to use their images, another option for coordinating, another product to offer our customers. It's not like they brought out a new product line just to spite a handful of people. I know it's probably still really a fresh hurt right now, but none of this situation is personal.
But is IS personal for many people. They now have to choose between two companies, and then ultimately lose income from the lost company. That makes it very personal. I understand SU is a business and are in this to make a profit. I think what some people are upset about is that they have been demonstrators for both companies, and are now forced to choose between them. I don't begrudge SU for branching out, but what is to stop them from other lines that are also in the creative realm, but that they currently don't sell? I feel for those demonstrators who now must make a choice.
Embossing Fanatic

I don't like them

Hi all. First of all, thank you CknODac for posting the link to view the pictures of the new vinyl cling-ons. I'm a SU customer, not a demo, so I had no way to view this new product line you are all discussing. I really don't like them AT ALL and have no use for them whatsoever. I was really hoping for a Cuttlebug or die cutting machine myself. But now that I know the secret is not a diecutting machine, I'm off to JoAnn to buy one.
Mad Swapper

From SU! point of view it is not personal, they did not sit there and think okay how can we destroy the business of some of our demos. When it comes down to it this issue is going to affect very few demos and the pros totally out weighs cons for the company as a whole.

Whenever you enter into any type of business you are taking a risk and this is one of those risks that comes with it. You just need to figure out how can I take this negative thing and turn it into a positive. From what it seems SU is going to be expanding this line pretty quickly so the products for your customers will be there to sell. This is also a great opportunity to get customers that are currently just SU into UL and vice versa.
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 304 Posts

This is the new product line. We still do not know what all is going to be in the Fall/Winter Idea Book & Catalog.
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377View Post
From SU! point of view it is not personal, they did not sit there and think okay how can we destroy the business of some of our demos. When it comes down to it this issue is going to affect very few demos and the pros totally out weighs cons for the company as a whole.

Whenever you enter into any type of business you are taking a risk and this is one of those risks that comes with it. You just need to figure out how can I take this negative thing and turn it into a positive. From what it seems SU is going to be expanding this line pretty quickly so the products for your customers will be there to sell. This is also a great opportunity to get customers that are currently just SU into UL and vice versa.
Thank you for saying that more clearly than I did. Of course it has personal effects for some people, but the business decision was not made for personal reasons. I guess that's what I was trying to say. I also feel for those who now must choose. And some day they may expand into the area of the other company I demo- if so, then I'll choose too.
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by paris062View Post
I am just curious - how exactly would SU know one is a demo for UL and SU unless you tell them? Also, a company can't really tell you what you can and cannot do unless you sign a no compete agreement. I am not a demo but I don't think they have to sign a contract that is as in depth as a corporation that would have a no compete clause. UL could come back to the demos that also have SU and say you have to choose. It would end up being a vicious cycle.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
SU! demos DO sign an agreement saying they will not sell competing products. Most Direct Selling companies have such a clause in the contract you sign. And they probably wouldn't find out unless one of your customers reported you.

And if you do home sales parties, you know you can't control who will be there, and for sure it'll happen eventually.
Oh it gets worse then just not selling for "competing" companies. One well known company in particular includes clauses in their contracts (and most do make you sign a contract that contains rules/regs) that you can't sell for ANY other direct sales company once you reach a certain level. If they find out, your contract can be terminated (and supposedly they do search). What is really awful is that they include other companies that you might be just a "hobby" type consultant for - - like if you buy Shaklee just for yourself, they consider that direct sales. Some people can get around it by putting their other business in their spouses name. It just still seems wrong to me but it's one of those things that if you want to reap the benefits of selling for them, you have to abide by their rules.

As far as the new line - I'm ambivalent at the least and a shade disappointed (but mostly because I had my hopes up for something different). I've seen the brochure. I can see some possibilities, especially for people who good at decorating. Whether it truly helps SU's business in the long run will be interesting to see.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayshestampsView Post
But is IS personal for many people. They now have to choose between two companies, and then ultimately lose income from the lost company. That makes it very personal. I feel for those demonstrators who now must make a choice.
I'm not a demo and personally do not like the Decor Elements--they're not my thing, and I won't be ordering them. However, to add my .02 in, unless you tell SU that you work for a competitor, how are they going to know?! In my opinion, everyone's stressing out way too much right now. Take a deep breath--everything will be ok in the long run. ;)
Pearl-ExPert

As a customer I am excited about the possibilities of these... I have stamped and stenciled on the walls before and I love how easy these look. I can see a flourish with an "S" inside it above my dd's bed as an accent - and when she gets tired of it I don't have to paint over it!!!!
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
I find it funny that so many people who have a problem with SU expanding "out of their box" were so THRILLED when Martha Stewart did it! :???: why is it ok for her to pursue a new niche and not SU?
Because Martha Stewart's always been into a little of everything, even if she didn't actively have her own line. She's always highlighted all sorts of things in her magazine. I remember long before she had her own stamp line highlighting how to make stamps using buttons on the ends of corks and things. If anyone's been known for being into everything in one way or another, it's been Martha.
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Because Martha Stewart's always been into a little of everything, even if she didn't actively have her own line. She's always highlighted all sorts of things in her magazine. I remember long before she had her own stamp line highlighting how to make stamps using buttons on the ends of corks and things. If anyone's been known for being into everything in one way or another, it's been Martha.

And, just like Martha Stewart dabbled SU has been using their products in home decor for a while now. The rub-ons are in many ways a mini version of what they are now doing.
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
And, just like Martha Stewart dabbled SU has been using their products in home decor for a while now. The rub-ons are in many ways a mini version of what they are now doing.
Took the words out of my mouth!
Compulsive Stamper

I'm a consultant for CTMH and I honestly just read this thread out of curiousity. I can see both sides of the issue. I would love to have vinyl that matched our images, (especially for my stamp room! I already decorated it based on one of our paper packs/stamp sets) but I wouldn't be all that excited about carrying a different type of product. I would much rather stay focused on scrapbooking/stamping/paper crafts.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that it probably doesn't really matter if SU makes a demonstrator choose between SU and UL. I imagine Uppercase Living has a similar clause and will also have to address it from their end.

I feel bad for Uppercase Living consultants/managers who have SU consultants on their team. Not only do they have a new competitor in the market, but they also face losing team members. As a manager, that would be a HUGE bummer. I work hard to support my team and maintain a certain level. I would hate to lose team members over something like this.
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Kansas--but I am a true Wisconsinite (Married a Kansan!)

Actually, I don't like them.....so SU won't be getting any of my business anyway!
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
AND flip through any SU catalog from the last 4 years and you'll see MANY walls decorated with SU stuff... a really cool huge clock instantly comes to mind, as well as many other things... this isn't the "stretch" some are making it out to be...
Matboard Maniac

thanks, but it still won't work, still says damaged. I live in Mahanoy City, it's around Frackville, Pottsville, Hazleton. How about you??
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
try right clicking and save target as.... save it to your desktop, then open it from there...

BTW, where in norhteastern pa are you from? I'm from Susquehanna County!
Thanks, but still saying damaged?????? I'm in Mahanoy City, it's around Frackville, Hazleton, how about you???
Stampin' Fool

Try this one
Attached Files
File Type: pdf decorelements_web.pdf (1.10 MB, 70 views)

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Matboard Maniac

I like them.

I really want the create definition for my craft room walls.
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by boydsluver21View Post
Thanks, but still saying damaged?????? I'm in Mahanoy City, it's around Frackville, Hazleton, how about you???
pm'ing you!
Mad Swapper

It is different.
A lot of possibilities.
Will I purchase? I don't know. But I'm certainly not going to diss SU for making a new move.
Who knows? It may sell like crazy.
Insane Embellisher

i happen to LOVE them.
not everybody has to love every product that SU! comes out with. simple as that.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

With Stampin' Up! expanding into this new area you should be able to increase your SU income by getting new customers who are interested in the vinyl lettering. It may take a bit, but your success with UCL didn't happen over night either.

See My Gallery
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impress5524View Post
With Stampin' Up! expanding into this new area you should be able to increase your SU income by getting new customers who are interested in the vinyl lettering. It may take a bit, but your success with UCL didn't happen over night either.
That's assuming that SU drastically expands their color choices and design choices. We don't know yet how long it will take them to phase in more. One of the draws for UCL is the huge variety.
Stampin' Fool

Last edited by Kelly65; 06-23-2008 at 04:59 PM..
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
That's assuming that SU drastically expands their color choices and design choices. We don't know yet how long it will take them to phase in more. One of the draws for UCL is the huge variety.
more will be announced in 40 days at convention... it's coming, and coming fast....
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly65View Post
But it's okay for THEM to own Stampin' Up! and Clearsnap, two totally different stamp companies, one major point we're forgetting. It's okay for their household to run two businesses. AND what about Avon people? They have scrapbooking in their catalogs. Will they have to choose too or ? If they make one company do it, then they need to do with with all of them that have anything similarly related.
ummm, IMO there is a huge difference between being an owner and a demonstrator for a company... clearsnap manufactures the wheels for SU, so they are a supplier, not a competitor....
Stampin' Fool

Default Sorry ...

Last edited by Kelly65; 06-23-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. They have clear stamps and much more than our handles.
also, doesn't Sterling own clearsnap and not shelli?

I stand by my opinion... they aren't bound by the demo agreement... they are the owners... not the demos...
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

But it's okay for THEM to own Stampin' Up! and Clearsnap, two totally different stamp companies, one major point we're forgetting. It's okay for their household to run two businesses. AND what about Avon people? They have scrapbooking in their catalogs. Will they have to choose too or ? If they make one company do it, then they need to do with with all of them that have anything similarly related.
Yep- great business choice for them!!
Keep your friends close, you know the rest;)

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

well, whatever else has been said in this thread regarding the business opportunity or lack thereof, I LOVE these wall-clings! I'm so excited to be able to use them in my home. We're just finishing up a room in our basement for our two little girls and I hope to now put their names in that flourish frame above their beds (or somewhere else in there). I also think I'll put some of those flowers on my stamp cabinets (they are an opaque corrugated plastic). I don't know if these are something I'll repurchase, but I still love the options!!
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
well, whatever else has been said in this thread regarding the business opportunity or lack thereof, I LOVE these wall-clings! I'm so excited to be able to use them in my home. We're just finishing up a room in our basement for our two little girls and I hope to now put their names in that flourish frame above their beds (or somewhere else in there). I also think I'll put some of those flowers on my stamp cabinets (they are an opaque corrugated plastic). I don't know if these are something I'll repurchase, but I still love the options!!
These are such cute ideas! My "stamp room" is a corner of our unfinished basement. My walls consist of 2x4s and insulation. Not much there for cute vinyl... but I do have some massive black filing cabinets! So the wheels are churning...
Insane Embellisher

I think Stampin Up is going to branch out and be a craft group which I totally love. We don't have close by shopping for any crafts in our area. I always have women coming to me to find out where they can find craft items. These won't be in the big stampin up catalog and you won't have to buy the catalogs. They are simply a fun extra for those that are interested in them. In my own home CREATE will be up in my scrapbook room as soon as I get my hands on it. My mother wants something pretty for her new bathroom and my daughter already wants a party because of the new vinyl. My main thing will still be stamping and scrapbooking but I'm open to any and all crafts. I love being a CRAFTY woman! Bring it all on!!! I'm ready and so are my friends and customers.