Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Shanes wish!! **Merged**

I got this thru a friend of mine and thought I'd pass it on here since I know many of us not only have our own kids, but have neices, and nephews and grandchildren and would sympathize. Anywho, this little boy has a wish and here is a link:
Shane's Wish
Spread the word and the love and make a card today!
Thank you!
Gabby AKA FaieeMom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Think I'll be making a birthday card this weekend!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Thank you Juanita! I'm sure that's add a big smile on Shane's face! Today will be our make a card for Shane day. My 11 yr. old DD is having some friends over today and we're gonna work on birthday cards for Shane. Even my 8 yr. old DS wants to make one too being Shane is around the same age. Kids.....you GOTTA love them! Thanks again and help spread the word! ~Gabby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Default Please send Shane cards

I received an e-mail from a friend this evening about a little boy named Shane that has leukemia. His birthday is May 30th and the only thing he wants for his birthday is cards--he would like to break the world record for the most cards received for a birthday. Anyway, the website with the information including his address is www.shaneswish.com/index.php. Sorry I don't know how to make this work as a link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for bringing this back up to the top of the board to get my attention! I'd seen it on AmyR's blog and meant to grab a card out right then, and got side-tracked....so this time, I just went right to my card box and pulled one out, wrote in it and got it all addressed and ready to send! For those of us from the U.S., just know that you'll need to put 2 stamps on it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I read somewhere that only store-bought cards count towards the record...anyone know anything about this?? Seems pretty ridiculous, but I sent a handmade one anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaikitty
I read somewhere that only store-bought cards count towards the record...anyone know anything about this?? Seems pretty ridiculous, but I sent a handmade one anyway.
WOW! That WOULD be ridiculous since our handmade ones are better anyway, and it's a CARD! Why should Hallmark (or any other card company) profit from this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaikitty
Hmmm - that can't be true - check this article out:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/webapp...e+Sudbury+Star

Nickel Centre to help Shane reach his goal; Card-making event for Shane Bernier set for April 14 at the Falconbrige Community Centre

Sara Gauthier

Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:00

Local News - Going for the record.

Seven-year-old Shane Bernier wants to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for receiving the most birthday cards in one day.

Cards are being sent from all over the world to Shane's home in Lancaster, Ont., and on his birthday, his family, friends and volunteers will bring the cards to him at the hospital.

Now Sudburians have the opportunity to help Shane's dream come true. The Nickel Centre Community Association will be holding a birthday card-making event on April 14 at the Falconbridge Community Centre.

"It will be open to anybody," says Jennifer Olive of the Nickel Centre Community Association.

"We'll have card-making kits here and we're going to try to make as many cards as we can and then we'll ship them to Shane when the event is over."

The Nickel Centre Community Association also contacted several schools in the Garson area to organize a card-making initiative in the classrooms.

The Fun Factory - the teddy bear-making store in Wal-Mart - is trying to help Shane achieve his goal. People wanting to help can bring in cards from anywhere, handmade or store bought, until May 20.

On May 21, the cards will be shipped to Shane's parents.

Manager Brenda Davidson said since starting the campaign on March 10, The Fun Factory already has 1,400 cards.

Davidson also said one little girl asked if she could tape a penny to the box of cards for Shane.

Unfortunately, Shane may not be able to break the record as Guinness retired the category in 1992 after Craig Shergold, a British boy with brain cancer, received 33 million get-well cards. However, Guinness has said it is looking into creating a new category for Shane.

Shergold continued to receive cards in such abundance that his family was forced to move. To date, he has received an estimated 350 million cards.

Regardless of the odds, Shane wants to go for it. He says receiving cards and seeing his name in the paper make him happy.

When he was only five years old, Shane was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (A.L.L.) and had to undergo 130 weeks of treatment.

In July 2006, after completing 108 weeks of his treatment, he relapsed.

Currently, there is no sign of cancer in Shane's system, though he may someday have to undergo a bone marrow transplant.

Since making the decision to go for the world record, Shane has become quite famous.

His name appears all over the Internet - googling "Shane Bernier" will turn up 11,600 hits, mostly urban legend and e-rumour sites that tell the story behind the e-mail chain letter originated by Shane's parents.

Shane's birthday may be on May 30, but that doesn't mean people have to wait until then to send him a card. On his website, www.shanebernier.ca, there are even cards that can be printed, signed and sent in.

HOW TO HELP

Anyone wishing to send Shane a birthday card on their own may do so at any time. Just send them to:

Shane Bernier

Box 484

Lancaster, ON, Canada

K0C 1N0
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Shanes wish!! **Merged**

I'm not sure if someone already shared this link....but I still wanted to share! I think we splitcoast stampers could really help! Send him a Birthday card!
http://www.shaneswish.com/index.php

Kisa

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 05-04-2007 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

This has already been started. Here is the link to it. I think if you search the gallery too you may be able to find some of the cards sent to hime.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I will be ending mine out soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Bumping this to the top. What a simple thing we can do to help this wonderful little boy get his wish! Our 4H group will be making cards to send to him. I hope he makes his goal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just looked at the gallery. Great cards! But there are only 51 of them. Come on ladies...with all the members of SCS, I know we can do better than that. Shane's only wish for his life is to get these birthday cards, a simple thing for us to do, but a great accomplishment in his eyes and a blessing for him and his family as well. Let's get STAMPING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Shane's BDay cards

This was also published in this months Diane Magazine for Curves. What a wonderful small thing we can do for this boy! Let's show him how caring we are!
Juanita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Our family sent him some!!!! - What a great way to make a little boy feel special...even if it was his idea!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sent a card his way too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

He can read the ones in French himself, in case any of you know it. His mom and grandparents translate the ones in English for him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 06:12 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This from the latest Hot Off the Press newsletter:

In the last issue of the Inside Scoop, we mentioned Shane, the 7-year old boy with Leukemia. We thought we had done our homework–but it seems there were some errors! In our eagerness to help Shane and to give a great opportunity to card makers, we unfortunately passed on some inaccurate information to you, our readers!

Shane is a real little boy in Canada and he is ill. He is trying for a world record, but not in the Guinness Book. He is also not part of the Make-a-Wish Foundation. For more information on Shane and to see how you can still help with his birthday card wish, check out this site: http://www.shaneswish.com/

We apologize for any misunderstanding and thank our Inside Scoop readers for alerting us to the incorrect details.
Sara Naumann
Newsletter Editor

So he still wants cards, but 350 million???? WOW! that is SOME goal!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have called the 3 schools my children attend and recruited all of the art classes to make cards next week and will be sending Shane a big box of cards. They were so excited to be a part of this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I am sending a card off to Shane today. I just mapquest to see how far Shane lives from me and he is about 6 hours away from where I live in ONtario.

sonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I made a copy of Shane's Wish page and plan on taking it to my kids school to see if they will be willing to help out. Not sure Why your not getting much response here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow, I thought this was just a local thing! We got a print out of this, and I already sent him a card! That's awesome its gotten so big! I hope he gets a TON of cards!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #22  
Unregistered

Cool just wondering

i was just wondering i hear on other web sites that making a card will not go to the count. also if my sons class make them can i put them all in one envelope or do i have to put them in there own? do u know thanks jes

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

i was just wondering i hear on other web sites that making a card will not go to the count. also if my sons class make them can i put them all in one envelope or do i have to put them in there own? do u know thanks jes
I haven't read anything like that...bit I did send all of mine collected in one box in individual envelopes so I'm guessing that's ok. I read some where that a school in the U.S. sent a box full from all students.....

Quote:

I made a copy of Shane's Wish page and plan on taking it to my kids school to see if they will be willing to help out. Not sure Why your not getting much response here.
I think maybe because there's another thread about this topic....maybe the moderators will merge it to the other? It's okay though, as long as this is being spread, it's all good and hope Shane reaches his goal even though it's a bit up there with the amount he wishes for. *crossing fingers for a great outcome*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Help a little boys wish come true

I get emails from "the inside scoop" which is a scrapbooking and cardmaking group. The last email I got told an interesting story and I wanted to share it here in hopes that all members here would partiscipate. The story is as follows.

Shane Bernier is a courageous seven-year-old boy from Lancaster, Ontario who was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia when he was only five. On June 6th, 2006 Shane and his family received some unfortunate news: Shane experienced a relapse after completing 108 of 130 weeks of treatment.

However, despite the bad news, Shane has managed to keep a positive outlook on his situation and has made a heart-warming wish... He hasn�t asked for money or toys or anything of the sort. Instead, his birthday is on May 30th and he would like to break the world record for the most birthday cards ever received. His goal is 350 million cards. With every card, Shane�s courage grows. Something as simple as sending a birthday card could be enough to help Shane find peace and joy in his current circumstances.

Please take the time to send a card to Shane and make his dream become a reality. Share his story with your friends, family and co-workers. If at all possible, get your youth groups, church congregations, employees, neighbours or communities to set aside a few minutes to write a thoughtful note to Shane.

With every card, Shane�s smile grows...

His address is

Shane Bernier
P.O. Box 484
Lancaster, Ontario
K0C 1N0
Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there's been several threads about this already. You can also type in "Shane" in the gallery search and come up with some cards that SCSer's have sent him. For now I have him on my siggy (I'll take him off after his birthday).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just got an email about this...I'm making cards to send this weekend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Just wanted to bump this up - 11 days until Shane's Bday!
Do your part to help make this little boy's wish come true!
Reply With Quote Likes