Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Radio Shack closings

OK, so you say what the heck does that have to do with stamping?

Trust me, do you have too much stuff, and need organization? Think store closing sales, ladies. DH bought me 4 parts cabinets- each has 7 drawers. Got 2 rolling units, with tall panel of slotwall, and bought 5 shelves for each unit. Got 14 clear lucite bins for slotwall. And a book rack (also for slotwall). I am one happy stamper! It's going to be so much easier to keep things organized with all that drawer & shelf space. Yippee!
I highly recommend being willing to negotiate- we got the prices dropped on pretty much everything we bought. (Yes, we spent quite a bit- but industrial quality is going to last longer than I am, lol!)

He really wants the stuff scattered down the hall & piled in the living room (from my 2 month long reorganization project) to be back in the craft room. You have to love it when you irk them into buying lots of storage for you!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, stores that close do have some interesting things you can buy for your craft room. Sounds like you got some great stuff to organize!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 02:01 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I tried to get my hubby to go into Radio Shack the other day to see if they had anything to buy for his garage organization. He didn't want to go. It made him sad that Radio Shack is closing. He really loved that store. I get it that would be like Michael's closing for me.

If any of you do take a peek at Radio Shack look at all those little bits & bobs used in electronics. They make really great embellishments for our cards, especially the industrial steampunk cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

He really wants the stuff scattered down the hall & piled in the living room (from my 2 month long reorganization project) to be back in the craft room. You have to love it when you irk them into buying lots of storage for you
Your last line cracked me up! Congrats on your new organizing stuff, I am so jealous!! We weren't so lucky.

DH and I went to the store closest to us a couple of weeks ago (one of their smallest locations) and there was virtually nothing left, most anything of 'value" had been shipped to other stores that "are not closing". The quote was, "well no info on their closing had been announced or shared yet so we aren't sure they are going to close ??!? Please don't bombard me with links about what is going on, I live in their hometown, trust me when I say I've heard plenty. I'm just passing on what I was told and experienced. We were talked into buying tablet covers that did not fit at all, tablet would literally fall right out if tilted sideways. Decided nothing ventured, nothing gained so we went to one of the stores that ours had mentioned was staying open. Sure enough, no closing sales going on at all and they refunded our purchase for us.

Guess what I'm trying to say is there aren't bargains to be had at all locations, so if you can't get the price you want, try again at another store.

Lylacfey is right if you are into mixed media you just might find interesting do-dad's. I tried to go back to the store that was closing but it was too late they were gone within days of our visit. That's what I get for being too embarrassed to make the purchase while dh was with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Yeah, they are closing at least 4 here, one went out really fast, then the one where we bought fixtures, the third one was only at 40% off, then BOOM! closed the next day. There's one more sale in progress, and DH is dithering about putting in an offer on more of the parts units for himself to use in the garage. I urged him to do it, since the third store closed so unexpectedly fast.
We had a Target close recently, but there was never a fixture sale that I could find out about. I have Target fixtures from several years ago, when the local close one closed. That said, there are still PLENTY of Target stores in Wichita, lol!
And I scored when one JoAnn's moved to a new location (commercial paper racks, anyone?) And again when a local scrapbook store went under. What can I say? I'm a bargain hunter.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

contrapat- I am bargain hunter girl too. I would have been thrilled to get commercial paper racks. I bet you smile a lot looking at those paper racks. That is a great find.

My Radio Shack store was definitely closing. Had this big sign on the front door that I am sure the astronauts could have seen from space, lol. I figured that store was going to close since it was on the highway going to the small country towns in my area.

I wanted to go in and see if we could find some shelving and pegboards for my DH. He looked so sad at the store closing I didn't want to force the issue. My DH grew up with Radio Shack. He loved it so much we had stock in it for several years. Thank gosh we got the stock cheap and sold when we did.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol, you think you grew up with them, I literally did. I could even show ya'll where the founding family mansion is and have had family and friends that have worked for their corp offices. I hope someone buys and then moves into the corp facility they have downtown. It's not that old and we already have a tower that have been empty for a long time that was built by the same family.

Speaking of other closings, I stopped by a Joann's a few weeks ago and it was closed. Dang I probably missed out on some great bargains! I liked that location better than the other one that I will now have to shop at too.

... and they claim the recession is not only over but we have recovered, yeah right.

Hope some of you are able to get some mixed media goodies before it's too late.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

"I would have been thrilled to get commercial paper racks. I bet you smile a lot looking at those paper racks. That is a great find."

I didn't even say that I only paid $5 each for the racks!!! One double wide 12 X 12, one single stack 12 X 12, and two 5 foot tall 8 1/2 X 11 racks. SMILE, honey, I have a sh*t eating GRIN on my face when I look at those racks!!!

And when we made our last foray into the last Radio Shack (that was closing- some are not closing), we ran into a man who said that the Target I mentioned earlier was now open for fixture sales. Naturally, we went right over. 2 trips and $600 later, we had a monster lateral file cabinet, 2 pieces of heavy metal slatwall, 4 tall & one shorter heavy duty metal shelving units hauled home. This ought to be the year the garage finally gets whipped into shape, don't you think? Yes, it cost us a few bucks, but the commercial stuff is just so much sturdier than home stuff. I have to laugh- I insisted on the shorter wire shelving unit- DH didn't see so much use in it (it had grids on 2 sides & on the back that the taller units did not)- well, while we were there both trips getting the stuff loaded into my little Mazda Protege, I spoke to THREE men who wanted MY shelf. Take that, hubby! I can use the grids separately or on the unit, so it's more useful than Mr. Wonderful thought.

I think we're done buying storage for a long time now, LOL!

Oh, and the lateral file had drawers full of both hanging file folders & tabbed filing folders, plus 2 metal file crates had been tucked into the drawers- we got EVERYTHING for the price. You just can't knock it.

Last edited by contrapat; 03-21-2015 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
... ... ...He really wants the stuff scattered down the hall & piled in the living room (from my 2 month long reorganization project) to be back in the craft room. You have to love it when you irk them into buying lots of storage for you!
:lol: This is truth! Well done!
Reply With Quote Likes