Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:23 AM   #121  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I hope none of this came across as scolding or a flame. That was not my intention at all. I am just a huge computer geek. When I hear the term hacking and how it's interpreted I am always thinking Pentagon hacking and not hardware hacking.

I know some people have been confused about the "reverse engineering" debate with this lawsuit. I hope I explained it without sounding like a computer nerd. This Cricut suit I am remaining neutral about it even though it's a stressful time for all of us Cricut owner's who use third party software.
It is nice to read when someone who knows a bit about what they're talking about posts information such as this. Some of the smart alec comments in prior postings don't help the matter. There are people on both sides of the case, and then there are people that are neutral such as yourself. We all know there are two opposing sides and the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle of the two stances. It would be nice if people could be a bit more respectful of those who are on the side they oppose. It doesn't help to call anyone "hackers", especially since this hasn't been admitted or proven in a court of law. Thank you for having a level head.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #122  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm just wondering if PC used any of the features/programs/codes/ that MTC or SCAL has in their programs in their new Craft Room software that is suppose to replace Design Studio?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #123  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Interesting! I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,
Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess

I design for: Rubbernecker Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #124  
Rubber Obsessor

If it were me (MTC or SCAL), I'd pass along the code through various channels until it just "suddenly" showed up all over the internet as FREE software.

I say "stick it to the man"....the PC-man! Definitely boycotting them (and have BoA for quite a few years now)...I already have a Silhouette and other manual die cutting machines & dies. They aren't the only game in town!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #125  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I will never again buy another provo craft product. That includes cuttlebug products.
I have the products I have but I completely agree - I won't give PC another penny I actually want a button to wear when I am shopping and leaflets to distribute because how dare Cricut decide how I can use my property - it isn't a rental agreement it is my property.

I hope the programming geniuses out there can find a way to make this work for the consumer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #126  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

nothing to do with the thread but this was a funny regarding BoA

Bank of America Gets Pad Locked After Homeowner Forecloses On It | digtriad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #127  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for sharing tamijo... pretty funny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #128  
Rubber Obsessor

No matter which side of this issue you are on, you have to admit that it's strange that PC is now circulating a survey & asking participants about third-party software. I understand they specifically mention MTC & SCAL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #129  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have a Cricut so I would not get the survey. What are they asking, if people have/use MTC or SCAL?
Do you think they will now go after people who have/use MTC or SCAL?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #130  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a Cricut and DS (I won't get rid of just have stop feeding the beast with my money) and am a registered user and haven't gotten a survey at all. I'm just happy I told my husband to put the money toward a laptop instead of a Gypsy for my last birthday!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #131  
Hardware Hotshot

Fairy Cut caved to Provo Craft now too
You have less than 2 weeks to get your updates and save your emails
The update on June 13 will not support Cricut or Provo craft equipment

More Cricut Crap {here’s the latest…} � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #132  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I got that survey. They were looking for a focus group to test SVG use. I think the focus group is for Utah. I don't know why PC is sending surveys out to people who don't live near that area. I am live in the Ozarks. I am not going to Utah, lol. Yes, there are some rumors they are going after some of the third party users especially the ones with sponsored blogs. Now, the going after users is all speculation and rumors. I have been a Cricut user for five years now and what I have seen is that most of the rumors become true. I wouldn't put it past PC.

I do like my Cricut. I am trying to stay neutral on everything. I try to keep reminding myself that it's not the machine's fault. The company itself I can't trust any more for a variety of reasons and most have nothing to do with the lawsuit. My biggest one right now is Cricut Craft Room. If you save a design it's property of PC. I know it's their cartridges so that shouldn't be a big deal. I do agree to a point. Some of the Design Studio girls and guys used to make the most beautiful items by manipulating the designs and it would take them hours. I am sure some of the long time Cricut users can remember that. If Cricut does allow SVG use with Cricut Craft Room well, they can now steal your own designs and put them on cartridges. I have asked them to clarify this new TOS but they hem and haw around it. That makes me suspicious. It could all be very innocent and PC has no desire to use their customer's designs and it's just all legal mumbo jumbo. I don't want to bet on it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #133  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I got that survey. They were looking for a focus group to test SVG use. I think the focus group is for Utah. I don't know why PC is sending surveys out to people who don't live near that area. I am live in the Ozarks. I am not going to Utah, lol. Yes, there are some rumors they are going after some of the third party users especially the ones with sponsored blogs. Now, the going after users is all speculation and rumors. I have been a Cricut user for five years now and what I have seen is that most of the rumors become true. I wouldn't put it past PC.

I do like my Cricut. I am trying to stay neutral on everything. I try to keep reminding myself that it's not the machine's fault. The company itself I can't trust any more for a variety of reasons and most have nothing to do with the lawsuit. My biggest one right now is Cricut Craft Room. If you save a design it's property of PC. I know it's their cartridges so that shouldn't be a big deal. I do agree to a point. Some of the Design Studio girls and guys used to make the most beautiful items by manipulating the designs and it would take them hours. I am sure some of the long time Cricut users can remember that. If Cricut does allow SVG use with Cricut Craft Room well, they can now steal your own designs and put them on cartridges. I have asked them to clarify this new TOS but they hem and haw around it. That makes me suspicious. It could all be very innocent and PC has no desire to use their customer's designs and it's just all legal mumbo jumbo. I don't want to bet on it.
As heavy handed as they have been AND because customers are NOT employees. Isn't it stealing to not pay for those design no matter what disclaimer/agreement is signed?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #134  
Pearl-ExPert

Provo Craft has to be one of the most unethical companies I have run across in a very long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #135  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I agree with you. Those that have nothing to hide, hide nothing and PC seems to be trying to hide their TOS which makes me think they DO have every intention of taking people's designs. If they didn't, then they should take that part out rather than just refusing to give a straight answer when people ask about it.

I didn't really care about the lawsuits that much (I don't think it was right, but that wasn't my main issues with PC). I just got so tired of PC dragging their feet about everything and saying something would be done (like the colored ends for the Imagine, still not available!!) and then it not being done.

The bottom line for me is, I DON'T TRUST THEM because of many things that they did or continue to do, and I can't allow myself to give them more money than I already have.

I am not sure if any of this below is TRUE or not, but there have been stories floating around about PC stealing or "copying" SVG's that other people have designed and shared online. Then those identical designs have just magically appeared on cartridges. Like I said, not sure if it is true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. I know they have purchased SVG's from one of the bigger SVG stores but I can't remember the name of the place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #136  
Matboard Maniac

And this is why I'm sticking with my Big Shot and Big Shot Pro just sayin'

LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #137  
Hardware Hotshot

I think what is happening is the sagging economy and soaring inflation have taken a big bite out of the money people used to spend on hobbies and non essentials.
Several companies seem to be blaming the wrong source. They see their low sales and think it is because some people are finding ways to get around buying their products . Image swaps, cutting files, dies from other companies, etc.

Many be a few are doing this, but the real culprit is the economy. They need to find a way to make this stuff less costly.
My 2�
BTW I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't have a Cricut or any electronic die cutting machine and I don't swap images

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 06-06-2011 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #138  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescrapmasterView Post
I agree with you. Those that have nothing to hide, hide nothing and PC seems to be trying to hide their TOS which makes me think they DO have every intention of taking people's designs. If they didn't, then they should take that part out rather than just refusing to give a straight answer when people ask about it.

I didn't really care about the lawsuits that much (I don't think it was right, but that wasn't my main issues with PC). I just got so tired of PC dragging their feet about everything and saying something would be done (like the colored ends for the Imagine, still not available!!) and then it not being done.

The bottom line for me is, I DON'T TRUST THEM because of many things that they did or continue to do, and I can't allow myself to give them more money than I already have.

I am not sure if any of this below is TRUE or not, but there have been stories floating around about PC stealing or "copying" SVG's that other people have designed and shared online. Then those identical designs have just magically appeared on cartridges. Like I said, not sure if it is true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. I know they have purchased SVG's from one of the bigger SVG stores but I can't remember the name of the place.
That is exactly how I feel. I do feel like they are wanting to take our designs. I remember when Design Studio first came out the girls and guys over at the Cricut forum would share the most stunning files they made from manipulating the images on the cartridges. We had new fancy borders, meshes, cartoon characters like Clifford. PC did make cartridges similar to those creations. I remember a few of the girls wondering if they were taking their work. Then SCAL came out and the creators went on to that program & nothing more was said about it.

That is my main issue with PC too how many times have they said something was going to be fixed or released? I am still waiting. I gave up waiting.

I do own a lot of cartridges. I do have friends that design the cartridges for PC. I like to support their work. That is my main reason for buying. I do think PC is taking SVG's from the download sites. I own a lot of SVG's too and some look pretty familiar.

Since I have discovered this. It has made me real shaky about PC and distrusting. I won a copyright lawsuit several years back when my work was stolen by a major company. Since then I have felt leery of sharing my work online. I might be more sensitive than most about large companies stealing work. I know they do it and outright so.

I am about ready to release a new digital line of work and an ebook too. I am about ready to sale all my Cricut items because I am outgrowing them and if they decide to borrow my designs I can go after them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had a very interesting conversation with a computer tech regarding Sony today and how the PS3 system was hacked because of Sony's policies treating its purchasers as renters. He said that is the real news not the information stolen. They are hacking the system to prove to Sony that once they purchase the product it is theirs to do with what they please not Sony's to treat as rental property. I said to the guy this sounds very familiar.

I know it could take years but the Sony PS3 case could actually set precedent for any case regarding Provocraft as they are both machines sold by companies that want to retain control over the usage by the customer.

Just wanted everyone to realize this isn't an isolated incident with Provocraft in more ways than one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #140  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for sharing that information RiverIsis, will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

Nic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #141  
Die Cut Diva

I really thought that was what happened with the Sony break-in. My friends were badly affected by that. The last few weeks of conversations have been Cricut (me) Sony (friends) back and fourth. DH & I are hard core gamer's. We do have a PS3 but never used it on the Network. We are not too crazy about the PS3 and prefer our Xbox 360 instead. Which is shocking since PS3 is the favorite of many consome gaming fans. That brings up another good point. I have always felt the die cutting industry is a lot like the gaming industry. I have seen several instances of it. Thanks for the information RiverIsis.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #142  
Pearl-ExPert

maybe anon will go after PC.. can only dream.... lol
(if they ever do I never said this lol)
and yes I know they didn't go after PS
But it was rumored for a while.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #143  
Cardstock Collector

New here... I am just curious if you think SCAL is a bad investment? I've been wanting to buy it for a while. I just don't want to put out the money if it's not going to work in a month. I think it's a great deal! Is there any way for the SCAL software to update itself? It would be easy to avoid updating my cricut because you have to physically hook it up.
Thanks-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #144  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullSimpleLifeView Post
New here... I am just curious if you think SCAL is a bad investment? I've been wanting to buy it for a while. I just don't want to put out the money if it's not going to work in a month. I think it's a great deal! Is there any way for the SCAL software to update itself? It would be easy to avoid updating my cricut because you have to physically hook it up.
Thanks-
You better check with those more knowledgeable on this before you spend your money. I think the SCAL sold now have a Cricut blocking feature and will NOT work with any Cricut.
Can someone confirm this??
It looks like only version 3 is available for sale and it clearly states It will NOT work with a Cricut

http://www.craftedge.com/products/products

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 06-13-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #145  
Cardstock Collector

If version 2 isn't available to purchase, is the code out there to download it? Or would I be able to share it with someone else? I would gladly pay for version 3 if I could get version 2 that WOULD work on my cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #146  
Hardware Hotshot

My guess, and I have no legal training, is if anyone is caught selling or sharing version 2 Provo craft will go after them.
It seems to me it would have been illegal to share it when it was available for sale
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #147  
Pearl-ExPert

SCAL 2 isn't available for sale anymore unless you find it on eBay or some other site that bought it up before the authorized retailers stopped selling it. Not that I'm condoning it, but there is a version of 2 available out there along with a crack to get a fake serial number. Google "SCAL2 crack" and you'll get lots of hits but make sure your virus scanner is up to date before you try anything. While two wrongs don't make a right, it is another way to "stick it to Provo Craft". Oh the irony of it - using unethical software against an unethical company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 AM   #148  
Die Cut Diva

FairyCut is another option and they are still selling their software till June 16th. It's a lot like SignMax's Funtime. That is a really good program. I used to use it with my Gazelle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #149  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslairdView Post
I so did not realize Bank of America bought ProvoCraft. That's reason enough to boycott. Dislike.
I concur !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #150  
Rubber Obsessor

This is a fascinating topic - I have read all the posts. I am so glad I never bought a cricut. I never liked the Disney images; I wanted to create my own. I had bad luck w/ the KNK Element (software crashing, never cut properly) and the QKSv1 (couldn't get past the on/off area - customer service kept sending me links that never fixed the problem). I'll be saving my pennies for the Craftwell eCrafter 2011 (+ no mats, no cleaning mats, no buying replacement mats, no pricey noxious spray adhesive and they have software to make your own designs and use svg's you already own or have created.).
{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKlXPBHU484}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #151  
Cardstock Collector

Smile MTC and Cricut

Hi wondering if anyone has the old 3.2.1 version of MTC. I have a new Zing machine and have used SCAL with Cricut for years and now wanted to do more and realized (after a lot of reading) that I can not use any of the 60+ cartridges with my Zing. I have read that the version I am looking for used to have backup cartridge feature so you were able to do this. Can anyone help me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #152  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcelrView Post
Hi wondering if anyone has the old 3.2.1 version of MTC. I have a new Zing machine and have used SCAL with Cricut for years and now wanted to do more and realized (after a lot of reading) that I can not use any of the 60+ cartridges with my Zing. I have read that the version I am looking for used to have backup cartridge feature so you were able to do this. Can anyone help me.
You might get some responses if you start a new thread. This is a 3 year old thread, people might not read you question, they may respond to the OP original question.

Just a thought to help you out.
Reply With Quote Likes