Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #161  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswillie65View Post
I had a horrible time with paypal, they scammed me for around 4000.00 and did it at times we would not see the email, 1:00 to 2:00 am... anyway, it was a horrible ordeal, I closed all bank accts and credit cards that morning!!
it was a hassle but it saved me several thousands!!! tried to close the paypal acct and it would not let me!!! I will never use it agin!!! I don't kno much about prepaid cards, how does that work?? I love to shop on ebay, but can't since I am terrified of paypal and most want paypal payments!!! what do you do?? :confused:
Some ebay sellers do take credit cards, so you can look for those. If you do decide to try paypal again here are some ideas:
-open a bank account you will use only for paypal and keep minimal money in it and do not tie it to any other account. Talk to your bank to make sure there is no overdraft protection either.
-Get a credit card with a low limit and use that to make your purchases through paypal.
- Make sure your paypal, ebay and email account all have complex and different passwords. A good tip for a complex password - think of a sentence that will be easy to remember, then use the first letter of each word as the password. Add a space and a number, and you have a good password.
-Get the security key as well - it is worth it and very easy to use. Use if for both your paypal and ebay accounts.

What a lot of hassle we go through to keep these scammers from getting to us!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #162  
Matboard Maniac

Another little trick--double check when you type in ebay.com, paypal.com, etc. that you have typed the address in correctly. Accounts are set up that may have an address very similiar to the site you are trying to get to, but are set up to glean off of typing errors for commonly used pages with passwords. The page will look just like that page and they can obtain your info before you realize you are not at correct site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #163  
Montague Mingler

Well, I just want everyone to know that closing your paypal account doesn't necessarily end the nightmare! I closed my account on 8/17 and THIS MORNING got two messages from paypal that 'your bank has declined your transaction'! Ugh... now I have to spend my day off making sure that this doesn't begin again. Thank God I closed that checking and credit card account!

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 08:45 AM   #164  
Compulsive Stamper

Another good thing to have with your computer virus program is an "anti-phishing" and "anti-spyware" program. It will tell you immediately if a hacker is trying to break into your passwords/programs, and will block the IP (internet provider) address.

A lot of people have their internet programs and modem on all the time..24-7. So you just click on your Explorer, Foxfire or whatever browser icon you are using to start surfing. A computer geek of mine said turn off your modem when you sleep. If it's not ON, hackers have great difficulty getting in when you are unaware. They send out "pings" hoping to get an open port on someone's computer.

If your modem is built right into your computer, you go to "Control Panel", "Network Connections" and click on the modem to "disable".

Sharon

Last edited by Celticrafter; 10-31-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #165  
Pearl-ExPert

I used to get these phishing e-mails a lot and I mean a lot. At least 2-3 a week. I never opened the attachments, that's where the hackers get into your account and password. When you look at the address where it came from it is always something other than PayPal. Once I saw that I immediatly forwarde the message to the spoof e-mail address PayPal provides and within minutes, most of the time, I got an e-mail back with a confirmation # and that it was indeed a phishing e-mail and that they are working on tracking it down. Another thing I never did ,was add an account to my profile, plus I keep a record of what and where I purchase, just to make sure.

To all of you that were affected by these scams, I am truly sorry and it just comes to show that there are really some dirty people out there that have no regard for someone elses hard earned money and reputation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #166  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleGoodrichView Post
Well, I just want everyone to know that closing your paypal account doesn't necessarily end the nightmare! I closed my account on 8/17 and THIS MORNING got two messages from paypal that 'your bank has declined your transaction'! Ugh... now I have to spend my day off making sure that this doesn't begin again. Thank God I closed that checking and credit card account!
Yes, before you close your PayPal, DELETE your accounts from it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #167  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that never occurred to me. I closed my account too in August and haven't missed paypal. Ugh. Hopefully, nothing bad will happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #168  
Stampin' Fool

I was wondering if any of you have had this experience with paypal?

I use only credit card to purchase through paypal. Then recently, I got an email from paypal saying I had $x amount left in my account! I reported it to [email protected]. and the answer I recieved was that it was a legitimate email from them and not a phishing email.

I believe that since my credit card company sets my limit, why should paypal set a limit for me?

I think this is how they get people to link a bank account to paypal. However, from reading all your responses, linking it to a checking or savings account could cause a lot of problems. I REFUSE to get verified.

If they insist, I will just close my paypal account.

Has anyone else gotten this type of email?:confused:

Just wondering?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #169  
Watercolor Wizard

I closed mine 7 months ago, if some one only takes pay-pal they do not get my business, I do not need anything that bad!! I had a problem and worked it out through with my credit card company and it took only 20 min. now that is service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #170  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleGoodrichView Post

I too closed the checking account linked to my Paypal,even though I closed my Paypal account. I DO NOT trust Paypal at all!!!!

sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #171  
Forum Fanatic

Girls, a lot of the emails you are receiving may not be from PayPal at all. If you contact them by the Spoof email listed above in Kitty's post, you may find they were not the ones who sent it. It is very easy for "predators" to copy and paste info or images from PayPal or any other site for that matter to make it look like it is from them. You really need to be careful before you click on any links in these emails. I usually just put my mouse pointer on the words and see what comes up at the bottom of my screen before clicking on ANYTHING (if it doesn't look legit -- DELETE the email).
I use PayPal for my business, and I would hate for someone to not think their money is secure. I change my password often and make it a longer version to also make it harder for predators.
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #172  
Embossing Fanatic

Default PayPal has changed !

I had problems with them a couple of months ago. Called one of their reps and all I got was double talk. Seems like they only want you if you will link an account to theirs. NOT on my time! I closed my account! Beware friends!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #173  
Forum Fanatic

Personally, I am a very small business, and I can't afford to pay the cost for Visa, Mastercard, and the rest to be able to use their machine to process their cards. I understand why others use PayPal. I would also accept money orders or checks but they would need to clear before processing an order.

Just an FYI that most smaller businesses can't afford to accept credit cards, and that is not safe for you either. Paypal asks that you verify to be sure that you are legit and to cover both the seller and the buyer. If you are concerned about this, open a small checking account that is just for buying things on line and just for your Paypal. You could transfer money from your personal checking account to your "spending account" and back from PayPal to your "spending account" without anyone being able to get into your other account. This way your personal account would not be associated with PayPal in any way. *shrug* just an idea HTH
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #174  
Montague Mingler

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
I was wondering if any of you have had this experience with paypal?

I use only credit card to purchase through paypal. Then recently, I got an email from paypal saying I had $x amount left in my account! I reported it to [email protected]. and the answer I recieved was that it was a legitimate email from them and not a phishing email.

I believe that since my credit card company sets my limit, why should paypal set a limit for me?

I think this is how they get people to link a bank account to paypal. However, from reading all your responses, linking it to a checking or savings account could cause a lot of problems. I REFUSE to get verified.

If they insist, I will just close my paypal account.

Has anyone else gotten this type of email?:confused:

Just wondering?

It sounds like you HAVE money available on your paypal account. Did you have a refund or something? If you go to paypal, you can see your account balance. If it is positive, you can request a check from paypal for the balance OR you can use that balance to help pay for your next purchase.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #175  
Montague Mingler

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlekel90View Post
Personally, I am a very small business, and I can't afford to pay the cost for Visa, Mastercard, and the rest to be able to use their machine to process their cards. I understand why others use PayPal. I would also accept money orders or checks but they would need to clear before processing an order.

Just an FYI that most smaller businesses can't afford to accept credit cards, and that is not safe for you either. Paypal asks that you verify to be sure that you are legit and to cover both the seller and the buyer. If you are concerned about this, open a small checking account that is just for buying things on line and just for your Paypal. You could transfer money from your personal checking account to your "spending account" and back from PayPal to your "spending account" without anyone being able to get into your other account. This way your personal account would not be associated with PayPal in any way. *shrug* just an idea HTH
Having been a small business person, I understand your situation. Are you set up so that people can pay you, through paypal, without having a paypal account? I know that JessicaLynn Originals is - I've purchased through her, using a credit card on PayPal, without having a paypal account. I am not sure exactly how this works but it may be helpful for you! In the meantime, I'm going to go visit your store! :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #176  
Rubber Obsessor

My husband reciently got a call from the bank, saying his CC number had been stolen, and they had arrested someone with his number on them. Thankfully his card is maxed so they couldn't use it. I have closed my paypal now just to be safe. It is scary that these things can happen.
Ladies, did pay pal offer any help as to how to get this money back? It is very unfortunate that these things are happening. We all thought it was a safe way to pay for our purchases...

Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #177  
Montague Mingler

Quote:

Originally Posted by justusView Post
My husband reciently got a call from the bank, saying his CC number had been stolen, and they had arrested someone with his number on them. Thankfully his card is maxed so they couldn't use it. I have closed my paypal now just to be safe. It is scary that these things can happen.
Ladies, did pay pal offer any help as to how to get this money back? It is very unfortunate that these things are happening. We all thought it was a safe way to pay for our purchases...
No, they really didn't offer any help, except in the case where the 'seller' agreed to refund my money (which I'd already stopped payment on by the bank!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #178  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlekel90View Post

This is exactly what I did. My bank actually suggested it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #179  
Mad Swapper

Aren't we all sick and tired of all these dishonest thieve's? Seems that it gets more and more difficult to trust and it really ticks me off! Jan
Reply With Quote Likes