Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paper Crafts mag moving to 6 issues a year

I hardly ever read the editor's note in magazines but I learned my lesson after reading the one in the latest Paper Trends mag regarding the name/type change to Handmade.........anyway...........in the November PC issue the editor dishes that she got a new job position with CK and is leaving the mag as editor AND that the magazine will go to "the industry standard" of 6 issues! ACK! I guess they want more quality over quantity (or are cutting costs on publication with this economy the way it is). I'm a magazine junkie so it's kind of a bummer. I hope the issues are bigger since they are fewer, guess we'll have to wait and see. This is the 2nd mag I've subscribed to that made changes - I'm bad luck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:25 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I agree it is a bummer. I like a monthly magazine as well. I was really annoyed when Rubber Stamper was sold and it became a craft magazine. I had just renewed my subscription for two years and a refund was not a option presented by Amos Publishing.

P.S. I don't think you are bad luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hmmm...I don't have a subscription, but was thinking of getting one. It is one of my favorite magazines lately. I have subscribed to TONS of scrap mags over the years and I'm actually thinking of letting those drop.

Stella
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I'm not surprised. I have lost a lot of interest in the PC magazines because they seem to have very little stamping. If there is stamping, it seems few and far between and has little variety in stamp manufacturers represented.

Don't get me wrong, I have a subscription, but usually use the cards and projects as "sketch" inspiration and to springboard stamping ideas. I would love to see more stamping represented though.

Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerbearView Post
I'm not surprised. I have lost a lot of interest in the PC magazines because they seem to have very little stamping. If there is stamping, it seems few and far between and has little variety in stamp manufacturers represented.
Kerry
That's exactly how I feel. I also don't like that Paper Crafts doesn't give exact directions or measurements (except for the final dimensions). I wasn't going to renew my subscription to both Paper Crafts and Creating Keepsakes. Since I have to cut back on my many subscriptions, I'm starting with those two.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 10-12-2008 at 05:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Giraffes & Laughs
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I will probably drop mine as well. I like monthly stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post
I agree it is a bummer. I like a monthly magazine as well. I was really annoyed when Rubber Stamper was sold and it became a craft magazine. I had just renewed my subscription for two years and a refund was not a option presented by Amos Publishing.

I had just renewed mine too when they did that. One of my favorite features in Rubber Stamper was the craft room that was featured. I let my sub. to Stampers' Sampler expire. It's up to 32.99 a yr. (6 issues) and just too much for my budget, plus a lot of what they feature is more the 'artsy' type of stamping and that is not my style. One of the things I don't like about PC mag. is I get confused on the issues b/c they do some months individually and some combined. Like I got Aug./Sept. then Oct. I'm waiting for my Nov. and then it would be Dec./Jan. How long has everyone had their Nov. issue? My craft mags are often missing and I have to call & have one sent again. Sometimes I think the mail people keep them!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I read that, too, and wasn't thrilled. Although I did look back at recent issues and noticed that a few of them are 2-month issues, and it's never really been exactly every month. Still, I signed up for a magazine that came out more frequently than the others, and now they're changing that. My sub's up with the March 09 issue, and I doubt I'll renew.

As for CK, I picked up a copy from the store the other day, and I was really struck by how THIN it was! They used to be much, much bigger...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I have a subscription, but usually use the cards and projects as "sketch" inspiration and to springboard stamping ideas. I would love to see more stamping represented though.

Kerry

Check out Scrap and Stamp Arts. Every project is loaded with stamping! They have techniques for rubber stamping and gobs of card samples each month. Most of the card projects have the instructions too.

I really like this magazine. They use LOTS of different stamp manufacturers too. Great ideas and lots of our splitcoast girls are featured!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I've never seen it. This is a new one to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work for a magazine and industry wide, there are lots of difficulties popping up:
*Paper prices are majorly on the rise
*Postage has gone up significantly in the past couple of years
*Advertising sales have gone down for many magazines
*Subscribers are trying to cut costs and are not subscribing

I'm sure these are the reasons they are dropping back to bi-monthly publication.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Default rubber stamper

I cancelled my subscription to rubber stamper mag as soon as I found out they were changing to a crafts magazine. I just sent an email complaint and I got a refund.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

After I read the editor's note, I checked my Sept/Oct issue and it says Paper Crafts is published 8 times a year. So we are losing 2 issues. My concern is that they did not say that they are going to increase the pages in the remaining 6 issues. Some of the issues have been thin this year.
Carolina Girls Shoebox Swap #7 - June 13, 2009
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I can't give up PC. I have every issue. It just wouldn't be right. For me, thankfully I won't have 10 a year to store, but only 6!!! lol!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Kerry
I was so glad to see your post, I thought something was wrong with me as that is exactly how I felt. I agree with you 100%. I have let all my subscriptions lapse and not going to renew them - will pick up an issue when I see something that catches my eye. There isn't enough stamping of cards in the magazines to warrant the expense. I can get my ideas from SCS and the blogs that I check everyday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Giraffes & Laughs

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I love Scrap and Stamp Arts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love Paper Crafts. I have been happy with the amount and diversity of the cards. I am actually happy that they are switching to 6 a year because it saves on my costs! Plus, they still have lots of special issues throughout the year to keep me satisfied: Stamp It! Cards, Card Creations, Holiday Cards & More.

My Blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Every time I buy an issue I feel kind of ripped off - so thin and not enough "meat" - too many ads. Maybe they would have a better mag with less issues and more substance.

Off topic but my problem with the magazine is that I see no individual in the work - just bought stuff stuck on to a card in an artful way. I can see both sides - such work is easily reproduceable, where colored images /altered embellishments, detailed cards may not be for the average reader. But having said that, I think the average reader is a lot more sophisticated and talented than the mag gives credit for. I see a place for quick and easy, but also more detailed cards you want to end up framing lol.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

LOL, I must be crazy because I love the ads! I find that it's a great way to discover new products that aren't available in my local stores. Better yet, most ads have examples of how to use them. The samples are great because even if I don't own their advertised product, I can often find something in my stash to mimic it. I must be an advertising executive's dream.
When I read that PC was going to 6 issues, I was originally bummed. Magazines are one of my guilty pleasures. But truth of the matter is that I never get around to crafting every single thing that pops into my head from the inspiration in those pages. Fewer issues=less guilt that I can never get as much stamping done as I'd like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post

Actually I had also just renewed my subscription to RS when they changed over. I waited for the 1st issue - hated it & wrote them a email/note requesting a refund - which I got.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I agree with GinaK, I love Scrap and Stamp Magazine, and I'm one of those that reads it from cover to cover, including the ads. And SaraK, you are so right, reading the ads is a great way to learn about new stuff and new companines.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just Cards magazine is published 4 times/year and it has a lot of stamping in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I just subscribed for 16 issues. I hope I still get all 16 issues. It wasn't a yearly subscription. Hmmm....I'm just a scrap junkie so I want it all!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyteecherView Post
Hmmm...I don't have a subscription, but was thinking of getting one. It is one of my favorite magazines lately. I have subscribed to TONS of scrap mags over the years and I'm actually thinking of letting those drop.
I let all mine drop and subscribed to the SCS fan club instead! where else can you look at projects by manufacturer and actually e-mail the creator of the project with questions! it's the BEST value for money out there.

(and yes, I know you don't have to subscribe to see the galleries, but why wouldn't you support this fantastic site?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 05:42 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Check out Scrap and Stamp Arts. Every project is loaded with stamping! They have techniques for rubber stamping and gobs of card samples each month. Most of the card projects have the instructions too.

I really like this magazine. They use LOTS of different stamp manufacturers too. Great ideas and lots of our splitcoast girls are featured!
I agree as well. I have a sub to PC, S&SA and Just Cards. I was going to let my PC drop because it was getting too far out of stamping for my taste. In addition, I don't feel like I will ever be good enough to even CASE something from there! LOL

What I love best about S&SA and Just Cards (same publisher) is that they truly print things made by beginners all the way through people who are probably DT Members. I just really feel like they support and encourage all levels of stamping. And, as GinaK said, they do have a great variety of manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I dropped my subscription to Paper Crafts because there is hardly any stamping in it. Everything seems to be made with designer paper and rub-ons and embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I've been disenchanted with PC for the past year, and am not planning to renew my subscription again. Guess that is why I decided to join the SCS family last Spring and support my number one source for information and inspiration!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Hmm thanks for posting - I had no idea and was just thinking about whether or not I wanted to renew - it now seems so expensive to renew when you have access to so many other cool resources...

But this just made my decision - I dont want 6 mags a year, I want 12 - so I wont be renewing either...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

This is good to know! I've been thinking about subscribing to papercrafts magazine. ... but then, I found this site! I think splitcoast is great! I love the techniques and challenges... and while I'm new at all this, I still have a sneaking suspicion that this site will be WAY cooler and more helpful than any magazine. Com'on, what magazine provides answers to my every question? All the people here are so friendly! The gallery is chock full of inspiration! I love it! Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I was disappointed when Rubber Stamper sold out. I understand why, but I much preferred the old magazine. The new one is fine, if you're into many crafts, but I only do stamping. The only two I will purchase now is Rubber Stamper Madness and Take Ten. I do like something I can hold and read, but I get most of my info and inspiration on SCS. I go into the gallery every day and see beautiful cards with directions and links to companies. I can go into the forums and find answers to most any questions I could have, and I can check out the tools forum and decide if I have to have a certain tool. I would miss the magazines a bunch, but I'd be lost without SCS. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm thinking also of just subscribing to SCS fan club gallery. How many
cards do we need to see for inspiriation; however, I like seeing pictures of
mjew items in the magazines, so haven't decided for sure yet to unsubscirbe

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

My subscription for PC just ran out and I am not renewing. I also subscribe to CK mag and have a yr and a half left on it. The one subcription I can't live without is SCS Fan Club. I can get all the inspiration I need right here on SCS. This is one site worth supporting IMO. I am hopelessly addicted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashjoyView Post
I just subscribed for 16 issues. I hope I still get all 16 issues. It wasn't a yearly subscription. Hmmm....I'm just a scrap junkie so I want it all!!!!
I thought the same thing! My hubby just bought a gift subscription for me for my birthday (in August). I didn't get the October issue, so I called to see when my subscription would start...they said he ordered a "Christmas gift" subscription (in August!!!) and it would start with the January issue.

I then asked about "8 issues" versus "one year" and the guy totally tried to sell me on the fact that it's been 6 issues for quite some time now...unfortunately I did not have my "October" issue handy to take him down on that fact.

Plus, the new Card Creations special issue had insert cards that still said "8 issues" per year.

So I haven't even started my subscription yet and I'm already miffed!
Reply With Quote Likes