Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #41  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow01View Post
I am glad this post exists and I hope everyone does write to Michaels. I know I will.

Every month I buy the CARDS magazine with the coupon. Here in Canada it costs $24.99 so I get it for $15 at 40%. It's well worth it and I guarantee they make the other $10 up on the rest of my purchases that day too. Plus I usually go in every week with the coupon for miscellaneous items. I recently went to buy my October issue of CARDS and was told of the new exclusion. Well I can tell you that Michaels has lost my business of minimum 4visits per month. This really ticked me off. I see no reason to shop there any more and I would much rather support my LSS. And come on---it's not like they are losing money on the magazines even at 40% off.
Agree!!! I went there yesterday in a pinch to buy a chipboard album and tried to used my 50% off coupon but they counted the album as a book! yuck! Not such a big deal, but one more reason why I do not go there very often anymore and prefer my LSS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Borders, ladies. Borders is the answer. If you sign up for Borders Rewards (FREE!), they email you coupons very frequently. Some are just for movies or CDs, DVDs, but usually they are good for anything. I use mine for stamping and craft mags - they have a pretty good selection. Most of these coupons are 20% off (better than nothing), but sometimes you get 30% and 40% ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow01View Post
And come on---it's not like they are losing money on the magazines even at 40% off.
Actually, they might be. I used to manage a stationery store which also sold books. I know the wholesale discount we got on books was only 40% off the cover price. That's less than the standard 50% on most of our other lines.

Not sure if the pricing is the same on magazines, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I remember another store not too long ago excluding magazines on their coupons. Was it ACMoore? Did they reverse their position? I distinctly remember someone excluding magazines on their coupons a while back...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

I just emailed Michaels...we'll see what happens. I am very disappointed b/c as others stated that is the reason I stop-to use the coupon for magazines! What a bummer! Joann's tried this (unsuccessfully) in the past and have since changed the policy. We are actually getting a new Michaels near my home (the one now is 30 minutes away) and I was excited for that reason-more magazines more often! And now-they went and burst my bubble! Dang it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperAddictView Post
Borders, ladies. Borders is the answer. If you sign up for Borders Rewards (FREE!), they email you coupons very frequently. Some are just for movies or CDs, DVDs, but usually they are good for anything. I use mine for stamping and craft mags - they have a pretty good selection. Most of these coupons are 20% off (better than nothing), but sometimes you get 30% and 40% ones.
Thanks for this tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

A cashier at my Michaels store told me that she was informed the reason they are no longer accepting coupons on magazines (or books) is that they barely make anything off of them as it is, so accepting the coupons makes for a big loss for them. I can kind of understand it, but like many others I will not be buying my magazines there. I, too, have a hard time finding something to use my coupon on. I miss AC Moore, but they are not out here in MI (moved here from NJ). At least there is HL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

The reason I don't think they lose money is because I have access to a wholesale account (a wholesaler that sells their supplys to the LSS stores) and the Cards magazine is $10.50 for the LSS to buy them to resell. Now those are Canadian prices. Don't forget....we pay $24.99 for Cards whereas US residents pay $19.99. So a Canadian LSS makes close to $15 profit. I would think that Michaels pays alot less for mags due to volume and likely purchases them direct from the publisher. I could be wrong but those are just my thoughts.

The reason I never bought the mags through the wholesaler is because the there is a minimum order amount and you have to buy 2 of everything so Michaels was the way to go. And true to my word I didn't go last weekend and I won't be going this weekend. The email they sent me in response to mine was fairly generic:

"Thank you for your email concerning the Michaels coupon policy in regards
to the exclusion of books and magazines.

Michaels continues to evaluate their coupon program on a regular basis, as
a result of selling our books and magazines at an everyday low price the
decision was made to exclude these products from the coupon. We apologize
for any inconvenience that has caused.

If you have any other questions concerning the Michaels coupon policy,
please visit Michaels.com and select the Customer Service link located at
the bottom of the home page, or call us at 1-800-642-4235.

Sincerely,
Michaels Customer Care"

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Reply With Quote Likes