Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all......
Went to our Michael's today. Sorry to say this BUT .....one cashier, the store wasn't clean, poor inventory.......more or less what inventory....I will be shopping somewhere else or on the internet from now on...and get this....give us a bunch of bonus coupons and then pretty much everything is on sale ....including the cuddlebug items...........I may be one customer ...but I do have friends..........we all will be going elsewhere.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default bad decision Michael's

Hi all......
Went to our Michael's today. Sorry to say this BUT .....one cashier, the store wasn't clean, poor inventory.......more or less what inventory....I will be shopping somewhere else or on the internet from now on...and get this....give us a bunch of bonus coupons and then pretty much everything is on sale ....including the cuddlebug items...........I may be one customer ...but I do have friends..........we all will be going elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #83  
Matboard Maniac

Went to Michael's today, 50% coupon hot in hand, and the place was virtually infested with inventory people!! You had to nearly climb over them to get to stock!

I asked the cashier what was going on, was Michael's sold, etc...lol...and she said noooo...it's just that all the stores now have to be IDENTICAL. Geez...they always looked pretty close to the same whenever I've gone to a new one...Also classes here have all been cancelled, also.

So. We'll see if the improvements are just that or more malarky.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #84  
Die Cut Diva

wow! this explains why our Michael's craft room was suddenly spotless..

We have a beautiful Michaels and within steps a beautiful joann's. I have noticed lately that Michaels hasn't been replacing inventory..empty spaces abound with CB folders etc.. where Joann's has been fully reshelved since the holidays..I thought perhaps they were soon to be closing. It would be a shame! I prefer Michaels but will shop where the inventory is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #85  
Cardstock Collector

I was a instructor for my michaels. There was not enough advertisment for classes. The class room was way in the back. I would plan and put out my schedule and very little interest and do demos in the store and nothing. My biggest class was 4, one class was one person and another was 2. I was gung ho in the beginning, but it was too slow. My friend taught scrapbooking and I stamping and we just gave up after 6 months. It was too much time for nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 04:53 AM   #86  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Michaels changes are good for me

I was teaching at Michaels as well. I was told I couldn't teach any more, but that I could still demo once the "system" had been revamped. The one nice thing coming out of this is that they are sending customers my way. Any time someone asks about card-making or scrapbooking, they call me with the customer's info and I call the customer. I am an SU! demonstrator, so I invite them over for one of my classes. I think the staff at Michaels are being extremely nice about this and I appreciate their thoughtfulness.

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stampingdragons.......You're extremely fortunate that the store where you previously taught is willing to turn people your way. I left Michaels as an Instructor in early February about a week before the announcement of cancellation of all classes. I was annoyed by their lack of advertising. They were only allowed to advertise classes that were Corporate.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #88  
Crimping Master

I have been reading all the posts here. I posted several weeks ago and told ya'll that my store was not going to issue coupons in our paper anymore and Mic was going completely internet with coupons. Who knows? I am still getting the coupons in the paper. My Michaels is such a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #89  
Die Cut Diva

Although I'm suprised about canceling classes.

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOo for every store having the same layout! I can't tell you how frustrating it is for me to go into different stores and have no idea where something is. And the staff, if I can find them are no help anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #90  
Mad Swapper

I don't do Michaels as much. No stock, poor selection, too many flowers - I mean how many plastic flowers can you have - and cleanliness/neatness is not a priority Coupon taking inconsistent from store to store. I have daughters in Vegas, Rochester and we holiday in Myrtle Beach and live in Canada.....so I go into (used to) alot of Michaels and always walk out fuming, disappointed, eyes crossed and, horrors, empty handed.
Maybe a big 'shake-up' is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #91  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ah...if only people were that honest

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercraftingmommaView Post
I have been reading this thread, only mildly surprised at the way things are going. Economically, it seems everyone is struggling to keep things going. However, I just really can't understand the manager's logic that explained this to you.

First of all, they should make a rule that no Instructor or store employee could take the crafts for THEIR own personal gain. This would keep the competition and griping down.

I agree that that it would be bad for someone to take these items and sell them. And I fully understand that there are people who would be dishonest enough to try to get money for these things they never purchased. The solution would be to have these items picked up right after a class and if a particular charity couldn't do so, then move on to the next one.

JMHO,
The problem is that too many people HAVE cheated the system, and so corporate lawyers tell them they need to handle it this way. Another problem with big box stores/businesses.

It is NOT the manager's fault. He/she is told to do it this way. It is our litigious society that leads to stuff like this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #92  
Matboard Maniac

So, instead of the usual newsprint flyer, this week I rec'd a separete sheet from Michaels (still with the paper), but much heavier paper, with a 50% coupon in it this week. It was about 8x11 ish, printed on both sides...very strange...but I DO like the 50% off coupon!

I don't understand other M's not taking coupons...is that what some people are saying? Of course, I've basically only used the newspaper ones, and have no problems whatsoever. I also noticed that the Wilton's class was still advertised in that 'flyer', so they're probably continuing.

Anyone else get that 50% off coupon this week? I like to think we're special, but ... lol ... I hope you gals lucked-out too! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #93  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindiView Post
So, instead of the usual newsprint flyer, this week I rec'd a separete sheet from Michaels (still with the paper), but much heavier paper, with a 50% coupon in it this week. It was about 8x11 ish, printed on both sides...very strange...but I DO like the 50% off coupon!

I don't understand other M's not taking coupons...is that what some people are saying? Of course, I've basically only used the newspaper ones, and have no problems whatsoever. I also noticed that the Wilton's class was still advertised in that 'flyer', so they're probably continuing.

Anyone else get that 50% off coupon this week? I like to think we're special, but ... lol ... I hope you gals lucked-out too! :-D
It was just a very small ad this week....the one sheet, double-sided, 8 1/2 x 11 with the 50% coupon. Should've been distributed in all local newspapers as usual. And yes...Wilton is the ONLY class that is continuing (until we hear otherwise if they are ever bringing any others back). I think it's going to be too late by the time they do, because everyone (the students) would've found other places to take their business and won't want to return!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, I also received that Michael's coupon here in SW Ohio Also, last week, on my receipt I got a coupon for 20% off my entire purchase (not including Cricut, of course!!) to be used this week. Also (on that receipt) a link to a website to fill out a survey. I got to tell them all I thought about Michaels, their supplies, their employees and their stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #95  
Stampin' Fool

I received the same one in New Jersey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #96  
Insane Embellisher

My local Michael's store (Ohio) is business as usual. I went in earlier this week, and there was an April schedule of classes, plus the new Crayola booklet and flier with a few kids and adults' classes. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #97  
Matboard Maniac

After reading this last night I went to my Michael's today and they are not offering anything but Wilton's. The staff person I spoke to said they were all surprised with this news about 3 weeks ago!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #98  
Vintage Vixen

A lot of people seem to be bashing Michaels but I can say that the one in my town is usually pretty good. Most employees seem to know where items are located in the store and I usually can find what I want, although I do wish they would get some new rubber stamps. And I've been able to use two of the internet coupons within the last month without any questions or problems.

Anyway, I was there today to use my 50% off coupon. I was looking at the scrapbook albums and had selected one, and then was looking for the page refills. An employee who just happened by, who was restocking some other merchandise, must have noticed that I looked a little lost and SHE actually approached ME to ask if I needed help with anything! I showed her the album I had picked out, asked about the refill pages, and she found them for me. I even asked her whether she thought this was a good album choice for my project (an 8x8 album for a cookbook--it has a "strap" binder instead of post-bound so the pages would lie flat, which I thought would be good for a cookbook). She was really helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes