Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post
i was informed last night by a friend of a friend who does classes at Michael's that Michael's was taken over by Staples and that is why the classes and parties are being discontinued. Also, all stores will be reset to have the same lay out.

That's what I heard.
Michael's was not taken over by Staples...........I work for Staples' corp offices and would know if they were :-D

Last edited by kwelch10377; 03-05-2008 at 07:47 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Michael's I shop at are all neat and organized (but I guess I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it - Kimz1959 - they don't change their products much). Even though I live in the middle of a large metro area (the Twin Cities), I have only one JoAnn anywhere close, several Archiver's (too expensive w/o a 40% coupon!) and many Michael's. I just bought 15 storage cubes marked down 50%. I've bought tons of Martha Stewart products with the coupons. I hope they stay around and that the changes are for the good.

I applied to teach a class last fall and I never heard from them after my initial interview. But I didn't pursue it because it seemed the instructors are responsible for advertising their own classes and getting people to sign up. After what some of you have said about wasting supplies and only using in-store products, I'm not that interested in teaching there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelTView Post
Sounds like they could use some "reorganizing" to me. Just tried to find info on the web about the Staples connection and came up with this (from the michaels home site). Back in 2006, Michaels was acquired by two private equity firms (sorry, I'm not a business person so that's greek to me) which are the Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. BC also owns/operates Staples - among many other companies - but it doesn't look like Staples has any other connection w/Michaels. And Michaels has a new CEO (a really big fish!) as of last summer and my guess is given the new owners and new CEO there is some major analysis going on of how it all works - and that probably is good news in the long run, though it will be rather an upheaval in the short run. When I say good news, it's not that I'll like the changes per se (I find Staples expensive just for example) but it's much better run than many places I go, and I know what I'll find/what to expect etc. When you have a big company (which Michaels is), it needs good management or it all falls apart and you lose money. To offer classes, they have to be worth their salt, and they need to bring IN money, not send it out. There must be "rules" as to what can and can't be done or things will get out of control Frankly, they need to restructure their classes, indeed. And some of the "rules" sounds crazy... As to competition, in our area there is little to none. We're lucky to have a Michaels at all. Hope they stick around!
"Michael's was not taken over by Staples...........I work for their corp offices and would know if they were" - kwelch10377

This post cleared up the Staples/Michael's 'connection'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #44  
Glitter Queen

Not only are they discontinuing the classes (keeping kids club, free family events, and wilton classes only) They are requiring us to clean out the class room. They have sent lists of the items (a very small list) that are to be THROWN AWAY! Can you believe that?! At least donate it to organizations in need of art supplies! But they are just throwing them away.
I am an instructor at my Local M's and i am devastated. I have a ton of classes in March, and was gearing up for the wedding event! I was counting on those extra side projects.
Sadly we were only offered part time sales assoc. positions (stocking the shelves and running register). They couldnt even promise us the same rate of pay that we are getting now.
Is a 25% discount really worth working there if i can't teach? I dont think so.
I'd be a waste of time and talent (same goes for everyone else).
And i honestly dont think i could work with a bunch of 16 year olds that would make more than me.

SO PLEASE- WRITE TO MICHAEL'S STORES. TELL THEM YOU ARE UPSET THAT THEY ARE CANCELLING CLASSES! AND MORE SO TELL THEM YOU ARE UPSET THAT THEY ARE BEING WASTEFUL AND INCONSIDERATE BY THORWING MATERIALS AWAY!!

and even thought they say they are redoing the classes after April it is ONLY KIDS CLASSES, FREE EVENTS, AND WILTON.
They will NOT be restarting classes. I was told that there would be no jobs available as a instructor in ANY Michael's ANYWHERE, now or in the future. And was also forced to sign a paper saying i was offered a sales pposition so that i can't even get unemployment until i find a replacement job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #45  
Glitter Queen

PS:

This all came about because they did a survey out in California.
The replies were that people wanted to see more Free events, and things for children, and mothers that are home during the day.

What a joke!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

I am sorry to those who may be losing income due to Michael's cancelling classes.

One thing to keep it mind is that I am sure that Michael's put a lot of thought and research into making this decision. Large companies don't just on a whim decide to do something like this. With this economy and the poor performances that may retailers are facing, cutting costs and changing programs to make them more profitable are important.

I know it does stink, but maybe for those that have a LSS near them this may be an opportunity to help support a local small business by going to one of their classes or maybe talk to them about teaching a class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Michaels classes

I am sure the new people who bought us are overhauling everything...which hopefully will be a good thing. Though I hate to see classes go, our store didn't have that many people who took classes. But the students I did have are the ones who strongly encouraged me to teach classes outside of Michaels, and now I do a class once a month at a local church. I started last April and have gotten up to 14 students each month!! I stay at Mikes to make contacts....and I do like the discount, well maybe not the 25% but access to the weekly coupons!

katrovato just mentioned about her pay as an instructor.....WELL, I have worked at Mikes for 5 years as an "associate" (cashier) and as an instructor. I found out that our instructors got a raise...I didn't because I am an associate too. The instructors got a $1 increase and now make 60cents more than me....how sucky is that! I did call corporate about it and they listened to me and said they would get back with me...never heard from them.:(

PLUS, because of the minimum wage going up my daughter who started in Nov. makes 20 less than me!!! She got a 25 cent increase after her third month and now makes more than the people who started a year before her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #48  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

I don't know about everybody elses Mike's but mine charges ABOVE msrp on about 80% of the products they sell. I have major issues with that. The stock also doesn't change much. Even during the Christmas holiday the gift items for kids are always the same every year. In the great big wide world of crafting supplies you'd think they could change things up a bit every now and then. And their Cuttlebug selection or lack thereof drives me insane. I have all the folders they sell there....can't buy anymore if they don't change or increase the options. I hardly ever shop there anymore....generally too expensive and the general lack of a rotating inventory are the main reasons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

That sounds like the Mike's I go to!!!!!!!!!

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Same thing here in MA. I think around here JoAnn is even worse! :( Michaels...seems a little better, but not by much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #51  
Inking Addict

I'm with Gemini, the Michael & Joann right by me, less than a mile away. Both of them suck. The Mike never has anything I need (i.e. adhesive, marker...etc), and Joann is in a constant state of mess. The employees don't care much about the state of things, unless you get the manager.

I am sad that classes are being cancelled, esp. a few of the ladies here are being effected. But, truthfully, the place is so messy that I don't want to take any classes there... One has alot to do with the other when they're trying to lure business from me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Do a Google search of Michael�s and select and read the Wikipedia explination of Michael�s. It not only covers the March 2008 announcement that their class program is being discontinued, if you read about the history of Michael�s (and if I understand the information correctly) one of the owners of Michael�s is Bain Capital, a private equity group. Seems one of Bain Capital�s first investments was Staples � I have to guess that is how the two became linked together. But don�t take my word read it for yourself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Default michaels classes

Is this in the US stores only or Canadian too. Because up here things seem to be going strong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #54  
Cardstock Collector

Default Michaels

Hi, I also work forMichaels store and you are so right when you say that they are so wateful..... I was told that they are to throw so much away.. aDN tehy will do jsut that. I asked if we could have a slient auction on the things that they were to throw away but no.... I asked if we could give the tons of supplies to a school or a church but no.... Threw all the stuff away. What does this make one think of Michaels???? ANd you are also right that they will still offer the wilton classes but that is all. and the kids club will be up to 5.00 There will be no more B. partys either. And I was offered to run cash register for a pay cut.. After being there for 4 years I will make what the person form off the street makes. mmm can you say somthing wrong with theis??? Can you tell I'm upset???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #55  
Glitter Queen

exactly! i was so mad that it too alot from me not to yell at the manager and ask her if she was crazy when she offered the pay cut. my reply was "do you know what position i had when i worked at michae'ls when i was 20? she replied no. i said i was 2nd key at the registers. i did the schedule for the cashiers, i did breaks, i did the ordering, etc. her reply was "oh". then i asked her if she knew what i did for a full time job now, she said no and i said "i'm an accountant for a non profit agency, i think being a sales associate and taking less pay would be a little demeaning."

i wanted to throw in there how it'd be a waste of my talent too, but i still wanted to remain semi professional even though i was angry.

Its time for us all to move on to better things. save those last paychecks, use your discount while you still have it, and become a demo if you aren't already.

Its just such a shame that they surprised us with this, and didnt even ask input on how they could make the classroom run better first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

We are not happy about it in Billings, Montana. Just before Christmas 1 lss closed, this week...Ben Franklin's going out of business, and now Micheal's not teaching classes.......we have a Hobby Lobby but they are cutting peoples hours left and right...they don't know what they are even doing for classes. Not fun in our area now that stamping and scrapping from got to our region.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

I was just reading thru some of the latest posts on this thread and all I can think is too bad M's can't read this entire thread. I think we are their consumer (or not, for each of our reasons) and they would or could benefit if they would read and see what we feel that they are doing wrong. A few changes for them could be the difference between them failing or succeeding.

Is there a way this thread can be forwarded to them?

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually don't go to Micheal's, I go to HL! I sure hope HL keeps their classes because I had been planning on making the commute this summer to take a Wilton class!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't believe they throw all the extra supplies away! They could at least use them for a future class or donate them to a local school. I know I would be more than willing to go and pick stuff up if they donated to my school, especially since my district is cutting $27 million dollars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

I too was an instructor at Michaels. Very poor decision on their part to cancel classes. My students are furious!! I think they are going to lose ALOT of business because of this move, not to mention money too! The students would shop before and/or after class and purchase products that we just used or learned about. If it weren't for these classes, alot of people wouldn't even know how to use more than half the products Michael's has! Corporate obviously didn't listen to the wants and needs of their customers. The only other store in our area that is offering classes anymore is ACMoore. ACM would be smart to boost their classes and add new ones. I have even thought of going there to teach a class, but the only thing holding me back is the fact of how dirty and cluttered their "classroom" is. It looks like they use it as a storage closet. That was one thing Michael's had going for them...a large, brightly lit and clean classroom that seated up to 24 people. I've written to Michaels to let them know how I feel about this and so have my students. It looks like they have two basic (and short!) computer generated responses they are giving everyone which doesn't explain much of anything. I get the feeling that these emails aren't even going any further than to Customer Support. Michael's says that they are revamping their classes and possibly bringing them back in September. I bet they will make them as structured as their birthday parties where they will provide what THEY want you to teach. What happened to individuality? I hope they reconsider the BIG mistake they are making before it's too late. It's going to be hard to get people to come back after they've forced them to go elsewhere to learn! :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaflaView Post
I too was an instructor at Michaels. Very poor decision on their part to cancel classes. My students are furious!! I think they are going to lose ALOT of business because of this move, not to mention money too! The students would shop before and/or after class and purchase products that we just used or learned about. If it weren't for these classes, alot of people wouldn't even know how to use more than half the products Michael's has!
With the closure of Recollections I would have thought that Michaels would have beefed up their stores to capture the those customers that they lost there. However, saying that, one they closed Recollections, I wont shop at Michaels, their selection is horrible and the store is filthy.

Michaels actually sent out a survey for those of us that were regular class and crop attendees wanting to know what we were spending our money on at Recollections and I think, feeling their way towards how many customers they have really lost. I know myself and several friends responded that we would not shop at Michaels because we could find better selections on-line. As ofr classes: there are a lot of independents that have managed to stay open and I think thye will begin to see benefits from Michaels incredibly poor business changes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

I only shop at Michaels once in a blue moon, the nearest one is about 40 minutes away and with gas prices, not worth it. Our craft store that came in about two years ago called Crafts 2000 is great, the prices are cheap and the classes are free but you provide your supplies. The prices are better than Hobby Lobby and JoAnn. I am sorry you all are losing something you enjoy though, seems like a shame especially when it brings in like minded crafters, not to mention business to the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

WOW I just started taking Wilton classes from M's.. I didn't hear anything about the other classes being canceled.. As a matter of fact there is a sign up sheet for a painting class for next month.. I was thinking about it.. I will have to find out the deets next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #64  
Inking Addict

I taught a class last night. This 'student' told me that she's been making card since I taught her stamping in November. She made all her Christmas cards, New years cards, Valentine's Day cards, and has already made her Easter cards. Guess where she bought ALL her cardmaking supplies? Last night she learned about coloring with Prismacolor pencils. She bought the 120 pencil set. She had not bought pencils until now, because she didn't know how to use them. According to this one lady, she wouldn't have spent that kind of money without the classes. I wonder how many ladies like this are out there??? And get this, she has not even heard of Stampin Up! Sad....
I'm a princess! I've been adopted by the King of Kings! Romans 8:14-16
Come visit me at The Card Castle http://thecardcastle.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

I wonder if they are doing away with their Crop Nights too? My local M's looks like it's getting a little bit of makeover which I was glad to see, but I hadn't heard about the classes until now. I think that's a mistake, for the biggest reason of, like was already mentioned, they lead you to buy supplies there for the class and more supplies afterwards to continue the new thing you've learned!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #66  
Cardstock Collector

I was forward and went into my local Michaels(in Canada) and out right asked. The cashier said yes it was true, but the a supervisor was right there too. And she said that yes the classes have been cancelled but only til June or July when they will offering new and better revamped classes....what ever that means. And yes cake classes where still going on. But I did notice on their calendar for March that they had March Break classes for kids and then they had them crossed out saying cancelled. This was about 2 weeks ago too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went into my Michael's on Friday. I was working on a baby afghan that needed to be delivered today and had run out of yarn too soon or I would not have gone. I just had surgery last week and I am in leg braces and on crutches.

It was the first time in many weeks I had been there and I was shocked!

The inventory was WAY down- there were many empty or almost empty shelves and racks all over the store. The store itself had been rearranged and was FAR less attractive that it used to be. They were out of the yarn I needed and I had to pick another yearn for my border.

I got there and there were NO carts in the store. Apparently no one had gone to the parking lot all day to bring back carts. So I stood waiting until someone going through the checkout finished with the cart they had- took about 5 minutes since everyone seemed to have big packages that they needed the carts for to get their purchases to the car.

Once I got a cart I was going to peek down some aisles on my way to the far back corner of the store for yarn. That's when I saw LOTS of empty shelves.

Checking out was a nightmare- due more so to stupid people in the lines rather than the girls on the registers- and by the time I got out of there my leg was screaming at me.

The store was clean but looked dingy- I swear they had cut back on the lighting! Everything about it was a disappointment and a shock.

ACMoore is opening a new store that will be closer to me than the Michael's and you can be SURE that I will be switching to the ACM as soon as it is open. Michaels need to get their act together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #68  
Glitter Queen

info on Michael's

Michael's got bought out by another company recently and they are changing so much....for the worse....it is really terrible for them. I LOVE ACM! I lived in Savannah and we had one there and when I moved (4 hrs away) we have Hobby Lobby, Michael's and overpriced JoAnn. I really hate all three. I wish there was an ACM close to me. Sorry about your experience and the actual pain as well as the mental pain you endured while there. I hope they are just in the process of revamping the stores...maybe they will come back better. Who knows?? what a dumb idea to cancel their classes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #69  
Cardstock Collector

I can't believe it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #70  
Inking Addict

HL training set up is pretty different than Mikes. They offer the classroom space for you to use when it is available. You don't get paid by them, you put your own samples together and advertising (they let us put our samples right at the cash register area so you see them coming in or out), and you can charge whatever price you want. They don't take a thing out of it. The only stipulation I was given was that I promote products sold in the store. I teach at both HL stores here in town, one is bigger, other is smaller, but they both keep things in stock, they're already stocking the Crop-a-dile Big Bite. I have great relationships with the store managers as well as the clerks that work each area. Admittedly, they don't know a whole lot, but the ones I work with have wanted to learn and they constantly ask questions. I come in excited about a new project and they get excited about it and now most of the clerks give out my name and promote my classes to customers and are always telling me when they start carrying a new product. They show it to me (before it hits the shelf) and ask, "what do you think you can do with this?" It's pretty funny, but we are all kind of working together as a team now. I get the employee discount for supplies, plus knowing what is on sale the next several weeks so I can plan classes around that and the coupons. I have sold more Crop-a-Diles for them than they can count, among other things. I know their store layouts as well as any of the employees, I do product demos when I have time, and pull for projects from all over the store, not just scrapbooking--they love that. My HL's see their instructors and classes as assets to the store. Here, it is hard to get time slots because there are so many classes. I teach offsite a lot just to meet demand--I just give people a list and they go shop. I give the list to the clerks as well and show them ahead of time what I'm using so they can promote it if they want, and they almost always do. It's been a great experience for me and I've met a lot of really nice people. Too bad Mike's didn't "get it" and it sounds like they're on their way out. I don't shop the one here anymore. They do charge higher than MSRP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #71  
Mad Swapper

I've worked for Michael's for two and a half years doing floral design for half the year and spending the rest of the time either stocking shelves or doing inventory control. I've had an awesome manager through all this time who was incredibly family friendly and worked with me around my kids schedules. He knew I worked hard and knew my stuff, was great at customer service and made floral sales (Floral sales had to be 1.48% of the stores sales or he got in trouble) I can honestly say he has been one of the top bosses I have ever had. Everything has changed now. The employees have to enter their hours they are available to work into the computer and it does the scheduling. Needless to say it has no compassion for mother's hours. I haven't worked in three weeks. Say some prayers for my great boss. He has had to let people go because their job descriptions where changed and they can't physically do some of what is being asked of them now. Others have had their hours cut and lost their benefits. He looked so worn out when I saw him last week. I doubt he will be there much longer. The assistant manager who was also wonderful has been seen crying in the office. We had a great group working together and we had a lot of fun. I hate to go in and see them all so sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #72  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by datghView Post
....Say some prayers for my great boss. He has had to let people go because their job descriptions where changed and they can't physically do some of what is being asked of them now. Others have had their hours cut and lost their benefits. He looked so worn out when I saw him last week. I doubt he will be there much longer. The assistant manager who was also wonderful has been seen crying in the office. We had a great group working together and we had a lot of fun. I hate to go in and see them all so sad.
I'll keep you and your boss in my prayers. It is really hard to see someone who has worked so hard to build employee relationships get caught in a management change and have to do things that just don't make sense. Developing a personal relationship (as much as you can) with customers, listening to what they want, and going above and beyond is what builds customer loyalty. Price is a factor too, but I know I prefer to shop where I get good service and I don't mind spending a dollar more when I know I'm supporting a company that supports families. It sounds like you worked with some good people. Sorry to hear about how it has ended up. Mike's mgmnt. should be reading this thread...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #73  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof2girlsView Post
Thats right ladies you read it right. I got a call from my manager today to let me know that starting in April Michaels will no longer offer classes. Corporate says that they are loosing money by offering classes. I think this is a crock of ****. I am an instructor at my local Michaels and we always have a good turn out for our classes. If you think that corporate is wrong please contact them and let them know how you feel.
I don't understand how they can say they are losing money. I took a One Stroke Painting class last month and I had to bring my own supplies (paint, brushes, paper, paper towels, etc.). The class cost $20 and there were eight of us. Maybe other classes are set up differently where the supplies are provided?

That's really a bummer that they are no longer going to be offering classes.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatHouseView Post
HL training set up is pretty different than Mikes. They offer the classroom space for you to use when it is available. You don't get paid by them, you put your own samples together and advertising (they let us put our samples right at the cash register area so you see them coming in or out), and you can charge whatever price you want. They don't take a thing out of it. The only stipulation I was given was that I promote products sold in the store. I teach at both HL stores here in town, one is bigger, other is smaller, but they both keep things in stock, they're already stocking the Crop-a-dile Big Bite. I have great relationships with the store managers as well as the clerks that work each area. Admittedly, they don't know a whole lot, but the ones I work with have wanted to learn and they constantly ask questions. I come in excited about a new project and they get excited about it and now most of the clerks give out my name and promote my classes to customers and are always telling me when they start carrying a new product. They show it to me (before it hits the shelf) and ask, "what do you think you can do with this?" It's pretty funny, but we are all kind of working together as a team now. I get the employee discount for supplies, plus knowing what is on sale the next several weeks so I can plan classes around that and the coupons. I have sold more Crop-a-Diles for them than they can count, among other things. I know their store layouts as well as any of the employees, I do product demos when I have time, and pull for projects from all over the store, not just scrapbooking--they love that. My HL's see their instructors and classes as assets to the store. Here, it is hard to get time slots because there are so many classes. I teach offsite a lot just to meet demand--I just give people a list and they go shop. I give the list to the clerks as well and show them ahead of time what I'm using so they can promote it if they want, and they almost always do. It's been a great experience for me and I've met a lot of really nice people. Too bad Mike's didn't "get it" and it sounds like they're on their way out. I don't shop the one here anymore. They do charge higher than MSRP.
I guess this would explain why the HL I visit never has any classes going on (or the same ones that don't involve any craft I'd be interested in), they simply don't have the people interested in teaching them. Sounds like you have to do most of the work, which is good in some ways 'cause it gives you more freedom. But in some ways it's bad because it just puts all the burden on you, and they get the side benefits. I can see both the benefits and drawbacks of this system. But it's obvious that you get out of it what you put into it. So, you put alot of time and effort in it and are rewarded. But others, I guess, aren't willing to put that much into it. I applaud you for your hard work and energy you pour into it, and it sounds like it has rewarded you well (and also that you enjoy it). Wish the HL near me had someone as dedicated....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another good reason to support your local lss (if you have one).
I am not surprised at with the decision, as corporate is rarely in touch with the people that make them their money. I used to work for a very large bank for years and believe me, they were always doing stupid stuff and would always blame it on "losing" money. They all made sure their raises and bonuses were never cut however! (imagine that!)
It is outrageous to throw away usable craft items when they could me donated to low income preschools or daycares. This makes me sick.
I'm glad I don't shop at M's anymore and after knowing this I never will.

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/

Last edited by horseygal; 03-19-2008 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #76  
Mad Swapper

Just my two cents worth on why Michael's tosses away perfectly usable items instead of giving them away. I have had to toss for them many times in working for them. I thought it was awful so I talked to the manager about it. Here's some examples why they do this:

I would love the supplies for my kids school and church. One of the other employees volunteers to teach a class for disabled adults and she would love them too and the list goes on. So how do you divide it all up so everyone is happy. Plus, you are pretty unproductive when you are all standing around trying to decide how you could use something and once you decide you shove it off to the side until it's time to go home and then totally forget about it and someone else has to go clean it up.

I had to throw away a whole cart load of books and destroy them first. (Nearly killed me.) The reason is because some employees will take them home and put them on e-bay and try for personal gain. How is that going to fly with the other employee that wants to do it too. We have to destroy everything because people will go dumpster diving and then try to return items claiming they lost there receipt. We tossed out a ton of silk poinsettias and had to spray paint them first.

Sometimes merchandise has only minor damage and most of us would love to have it because we would take the time to fix it or the blemish wouldn't bother us. The problem is that employees will damage something because they want to take it home for free. We do admit, however, to eating candy from bags that have holes in it rather than throwing the candy away. We will not however eat the chocolate easter bunnies that little kids have stuck their fingers into when mom was side tracked reading the stamping magazines at the checkout.

In the long run I have to admit I see Michael's point of view. It really does keep the harmony among the employees. I still cringe when I have to toss something but not quite as bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for your insight into why it's done. It is not your decision and this is not a personal attack on you, but the fact of the matter is that you (not you personally!) can't please everyone all the time. The manager should be given the authority to decide which charity he would like it to go to, end of story. Or rotate between different charities. Yes there are some who would b**** and moan, but that comes with the territory. Wasting is never ok, especially in our society which is supposedly so into "going green".

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #78  
Cardstock Collector

I think this is too bad. They are pushing so many people away by doing this. I hope that you find a job teaching scrapbooking somewhere else. There are always people who want to take classes!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #79  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about this?

I have been reading this thread, only mildly surprised at the way things are going. Economically, it seems everyone is struggling to keep things going. However, I just really can't understand the manager's logic that explained this to you.

First of all, they should make a rule that no Instructor or store employee could take the crafts for THEIR own personal gain. This would keep the competition and griping down. HOWEVER, they could have forms available that the CEO's, Directors or whatever from schools, clubs and other organizations (non-profit) could fill out and request the supplies go to them. They could be on a rotation list, as another Stamper pointed out.

Secondly, you are not being UNproductive if you are finishing up your class, which means bagging up all the extra supplies for these charities. How productive can one be when you are having to destroy perfectly good items? And there wouldn't be a need for anyone to come and clean up the mess, if the class time slots were designed to include clean up time.

I agree that that it would be bad for someone to take these items and sell them. And I fully understand that there are people who would be dishonest enough to try to get money for these things they never purchased. The solution would be to have these items picked up right after a class and if a particular charity couldn't do so, then move on to the next one.

And why not put these things in a clearance bin or grab bags for people to purchase? My LSS has papers and things that I know just weren't great sellers in a bag for like $5 or something and you don't know what you get but that is part of the fun...for me and others like me. Especially knowing I can always find a use for something I paid for.

I'm glad you can see their POV, because personally I don't. I just have no idea how their corporation could ever think WASTING is ever a better alternative than either selling it for less, doing grab bags, and/or offering these things to the non-profit organizations which is also a tax write-off for them. Wasting and destroying perfectly good merchandise is a sin and a shame, and small wonder the prices keep raising. I couldn't do it. I would not work somewhere that I had to take products that were still in the package and brand new and just destroy it and throw it in the garbage. I understand not everyone enjoys everything about their jobs, and sometimes you have to do things you don't like in order to remain in the job market, but there's definitely a high price to pay! And they aren't the ones paying it...the ones who have the authority to order these items be destroyed.

JMHO,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all......
Went to our Michael's today. Sorry to say this BUT .....one cashier, the store wasn't clean, poor inventory.......more or less what inventory....I will be shopping somewhere else or on the internet from now on...and get this....give us a bunch of bonus coupons and then pretty much everything is on sale ....including the cuddlebug items...........I may be one customer ...but I do have friends..........we all will be going elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes