Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #121  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the next time we go to HL we have to wear nametags so we'll "know" each other.

While the stamping section is small, there are many mfrs that I have never seen in other chain stores (Paper Inspirations, House Mouse). Also, it's the only local store to carry Spellbinders dies. I can't recall seeing Sizzix but they would not have caught my attention.

Since I'm lucky to live less than 8 miles away I plan to go to the Grand Opening on Monday but will (for the sake of my wallet) try to refrain from another purchase.

I have to try Sonic's tots too. I didn't care for their onion rings (they smelled like vanilla but didn't taste like it but weren't crispy either.) Many of their drinks are half-price between 2 and 4pm every day. Next on my to-try list is a flavored iced tea (peach or cranberry).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #122  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the AC Moore that is down the road a ways from HL? I wanted to stop there on our way back, but there was an accident right in front of the entrance on Route 9 and I was unable to turn into the driveway. I didn't feel like making a U-turn down the road and then sitting in all the backed up traffic.

I also wanted to stop at Michael's on the way home off I-84, but I missed the exit and again didn't feel like getting off the next exit and going back.

I guess it just wasn't my day. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #123  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin'HappyInCTView Post
How is the AC Moore that is down the road a ways from HL? I wanted to stop there on our way back, but there was an accident right in front of the entrance on Route 9 and I was unable to turn into the driveway. I didn't feel like making a U-turn down the road and then sitting in all the backed up traffic.

I also wanted to stop at Michael's on the way home off I-84, but I missed the exit and again didn't feel like getting off the next exit and going back.

WOW -- how's that for timing -- I was headed North and stuck in traffic from that accident...it had just happened and I got stuck at the light before the light for ACM.

I like that ACM -- they have a decent selection of stamps, and sizzix/cricut/CB/etc stuff... There's also a really big M's up the road (past HL) from there -- much bigger than the one I have (which I am guessing is the one you missed on the way home)...but I don't think their papercrafting section has all that much more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #124  
Rubber Obsessor

Well....I went on Friday morning and absolutely LOVED it! The staff was so warm and welcoming. I liked the scrapbooking section and will definitely go back to see what I missed. I only had 90 minutes in the store and was only able to look at home decor and the scrapping/stamping section. I bought a nice bag to hold projects for when I go to a crop and many other things. I love the scrap kits with the matchy-matchy paper, stickers, and other things. I managed to spend almost $200. and feel like I could spend thousands! I'm not sure what Spellbinders are, so I'm going to check them out on Tuesday afternoon. Look for me if you are there!! (I'm the one loudly oohing and ahhing over everything!!)
Enjoy the holiday weekend,
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #125  
Linking Queen

Quote:

It certainly sounds like it wasn't your day but maybe that just means you'll find exactly what you want when you do get to the various stores!

I like the A.C.Moore on Route 9 but think the one in Yorktown is better (but not enough to drive out of my way since the Route 9 store is soooo close to me).

I prefer the Michael's off I-84 (it's in Brewster) to the one past the Hobby Lobby but rarely go there since I moved from SE Dutchess (near Pawling) to the other side of the county (near Route 9) in July.

The same strip mall that the Michael's is in also has a Jo-Ann's. It's a small one but (until HL opened) had the best selection of craft magazines and every once in awhile the coupons from at least one of the chain stores would NOT exclude magazines. And if I do go to that Michael's I almost always stop in at Jo-Ann's.

I think Hobby Lobby and A.C.Moore will be getting most of my money and Michael's and Jo-Ann's will get visits if I cannot find "it" at the other stores. But I will gladly shop at the Brewster Michael's if I happen to be close enough to it (which is unlikely) and have time to shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #126  
Crimping Master

Default HOBBY LOBBY OFFICIALLY OPEN!!!!

Hi all! I just found this thread and well being that I work in the NEW HOBBY LOBBY in Poughkeepsie I figured let me chie in with a few thoughts and comments and I saw some questins that were not answered that I may attempt to answer. First off even though I am a very avid scrapbooker and stamper I got picked to work in the custom framing department du o my photography background. But just from what I know and have found out as for prices in "my" department for custom framing beat the competitors prices hands down! And the quality and care and most importantly the turn around time are superior! About a 14 day turn around time compared to a month!

Even though I work in the store I still LOVE it! Everyday I find something new that I would LOVE to buy and I was totally blown away by the scrapbooking paper selection! I do see that some items are priced lower that the other stores... Some cricut carts, regular at ACM and M's $99.99 at HL they are $69.99. Granted I still will wait for a sale on those and sorry coupons are not good for them, that is the decission of CRICUT not the stores. As for taking competitors coupons... sorry NO they do not accept but will price match sales ads. As long as the same item and it is not a percentage off.

The store hours are Monday - Saturday 9-8! This is for every HL no matter where they are located. (unless a state law state otherwise) There is a reason behind these store hours, let me say one person here made a comment that it's sad that HL is not open on Sundays... I find it sad that shopping is so much more important to her then the thought of family! The founder David Green keeps his stores closed on Sundays because of FAMILY!!!! He believes that Sundays are a day of rest and time to spend with family... I love that with this day and age of such thought of making the mighty dollar that he holds his beliefs still! I also want to add that even with NY being a more expensive state... you will find that the prices here in NY are the same as the prices of items in HL in Texas or Oklahoma or where ever are the same!

Well I've blabbed on a bit and I hope you all enjoy HL as much as I do and as much as I love working there... So if you come in to the store on Monday for our grand opening or any day after that I hope you really enjoy your experience and hey stop by custom framing to say hi!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #127  
Crimping Master

By the way if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #128  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the input Jennifer. I too like that the store is closed Sunday . I think that although I do most of my shopping on weekends since Iwokek all week, family time is super important!

I really did enjoy my quick tour around the store... Hoping I get back up there soon to look some more
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #129  
Linking Queen

Hi Jennifer!

Thanks for all the info and insight your post provided. I still plan to go to the Grand Opening on Monday. Are they having "events" all day long or just the first hour or two?

Morning is not my favorite time of day (even if I'm awake and surfing I'm not always functional) so I'm trying to figure out (1) if I should motivate myself to be a morning person for the grand opening or (2) if I can't, is it still worthwhile to go later in the day (bear in mind that I blew the craft budget for Oct and part of Nov between just 2 visits so, while I will probably buy something I don't think I'll be doing an up-and-down-every-aisle shopping.)

Thanks for any info that may help me decide my plans for Monday.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 AM   #130  
Mad Swapper

Question

What kind of events are they having on monday?? Also, does anyone know if they are having any specials in their scrapbooking dept other than what is in the flyer?? I am contemplating going on monday. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #131  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen2972View Post
By the way if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Is there anything going on Monday that you can share with us without getting into trouble? I really want to go back and would like to know what might be the BEST time to go on Monday. My 3 boys are home from school so I will have to bring atleast 2 if not all 3 of them. (They are almost 14 yrs. old, 6 yrs. and 4yrs. old.) That could put a damper on things:( I do want to get 1 or 2 spellbinders that are on sale and maybe a copic marker. I went there on Thursday and didn't get to see everything. I did manage to spend money though;)

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #132  
Hardware Hotshot

This week's coupon just landed in my emailbox. ;)

I have to add a comment about my experience yesterday: I was surprised that the registers don't have price scanners. The friend I was with was purchasing a bottle of fabric paint and there was no price tag on it, and no one at the registers knew the price either, so my friend ended up not purchasing it. I don't know if anyone offered to run to the aisle to find a price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #133  
Linking Queen

Someone had to check the price on a watercolor pencil I bought ... the cashier continued to ring up my purchase and the line was growing so I told her to ring me out and I'll pay cash for the pencil when her colleague returns. Just as I signed my credit receipt she came back so the cashier rang up my pencil, I paid and left.

So, I think they do try to find the price but haven't had a chance to really know where everything is yet so it takes awhile. But ... ITA that the prices should be scanned in and hope it was just a few oversights and not a fault of the system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #134  
Hardware Hotshot

Someone may very well have offered to go check the price and I may have missed that, as I was standing off to the side. My friend was purchasing a similar tube of paint, so she really didn't think she'd need two of the same thing and therefore forfeited the priceless tube. It was no big deal, but we just thought it was odd not to have scanners. I can't remember the last time I've been in a store without them. Funny what we get used to.

The staff was very helpful and we were asked by several different employees if we were finding everything OK, did we need any help, etc. For the store's sake, I hope that continues. I don't think I've ever had offers like that at Michael's or AC Moore ... you always have to go looking for someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #135  
Crimping Master

I'm back and to answer some questions and to raise light to the no scanner issue....I felt the same way about no scanners when I was told that everything was keyed in. Ok well a little bit of insight.... Hobby Lobby is proud to say in this day with the way the economy is THEY ARE PROUD TO SAY THAT THEY HAVE NO DEBT! They only open stores with profit money! They never borrow from lenders and such sooooo to keep that and to keep prices low they dont use VERY expensive scanners. As someone that has worked in retail those scanners are expensive and then even they break down.

As for sales on Monday... I can not say... a local radio station will be there between 12-2 giving out gift cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #136  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Someone may very well have offered to go check the price and I may have missed that, as I was standing off to the side. My friend was purchasing a similar tube of paint, so she really didn't think she'd need two of the same thing and therefore forfeited the priceless tube. It was no big deal, but we just thought it was odd not to have scanners. I can't remember the last time I've been in a store without them. Funny what we get used to.

The staff was very helpful and we were asked by several different employees if we were finding everything OK, did we need any help, etc. For the store's sake, I hope that continues. I don't think I've ever had offers like that at Michael's or AC Moore ... you always have to go looking for someone.
ITA with the part I highlighted as it matches my experience at HL, M's and ACM.

As for no scanners I can understand the reasoning - but I hope they do a better job putting pricing on every single item. But, knowing there is no scanner I will make more of an effort to be sure my item is priced or bring a similar item (i.e. a different color of pencil) to checkout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #137  
Linking Queen

Quote:

I'm back and to answer some questions and to raise light to the no scanner issue....I felt the same way about no scanners when I was told that everything was keyed in. Ok well a little bit of insight.... Hobby Lobby is proud to say in this day with the way the economy is THEY ARE PROUD TO SAY THAT THEY HAVE NO DEBT! They only open stores with profit money! They never borrow from lenders and such sooooo to keep that and to keep prices low they dont use VERY expensive scanners. As someone that has worked in retail those scanners are expensive and then even they break down.

As for sales on Monday... I can not say... a local radio station will be there between 12-2 giving out gift cards.
I will try to be there by Noon and hope I get a gift card. Thanks for sharing the info :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #138  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I heard the radio station the other day saying that they were doing that. Now I not only will have the 3 boys home tomorrow,1 has a fever right now!!! I am hoping he is better so I can make it there tomorrow. Maybe that is a sign that I don't need to be there.....but heck I know I don't NEED to be there...I WANT to be there!!! LOL

Gail

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #139  
Rubber Obsessor

Here is the ad for the Grand Opening: http://hobbylobby.com/assets/pdf/wee...les/42_428.pdf

I am bummed that we don't have Sizzix products too. I hope we will get them soon. If you can, send an comment to customer service requesting that HL starts to carry Sizzix and they will send the request to the buyer. You can actually send a comment requesting anything that you want to see. Here is the form to fill out: http://hobbylobby.com/customer_servi...&addr=1&dept=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #140  
Rubber Obsessor

I forgot to mention that they should honor the regular ad in addition to the grand opening ad too. Here is the link to the regular ad: http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/entire_ad.cfm?menu=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #141  
Polyshrink Goddess

So did anyone get to the grand opening yet? I so wanted to get there. My son is still sick with a fever so I did not get there.:( I am hoping if my DH gets home early from work I might be able to get away for alittle while. I will say that the grand opening ad did not really impress me. The regular ad looks almost the same and just as good. What does everyone else think? I know the radio station was going to be there from 12-2pm. Is there anything else going on that I am missing and should try and get there today for? Please I need a "fix"!! LOL Can anyone help me;)

Gail

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #142  
Kookie Creator

I was planning on going today also, but housework needed to be done. I might go up on Wednesday.

Does anyone know if the Poughkeepsie store has the new Halloween and Christmas Inkadinkado clear stamp sets?

Thanks~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #143  
Polyshrink Goddess

Any news on todays events?

Gail

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #144  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was working today -- so no HL for me unfortunately...

I bought some lights there over the weekend that I thought were just green orange and purple for Halloween, but when I took them out of the box, they're regular multi-colored lights. I'm hoping to get back up there to exchange them sometime this week...

I wonder how 'the big day' went?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #145  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
I think the next time we go to HL we have to wear nametags so we'll "know" each other.
I was thinking of how many strange looks I'd get in the store with a "Hello, My Name is cuccicoo1002" sticker ;) LOL...(of course I'd make a real PRETTY one, but it's still a funny thought)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #146  
Linking Queen

I was there ... didn't seem too different from Friday and Saturday except a local radio station let you roll dice to win prizes (gift cards, CDs) if in 2 (maybe it was3) rolls you got all the #s of their station. I wasn't lucky.

I did get to say hello to Jennifer and a few other employees remembered me - have I gone there too much? :rolleyes:

And I got another Spellbinder die and a few more stamps. And a 12x12 sheet of white velvet cardstock that I hope I can punch with one of the really big lever punches (I have a snowflake one). I also plan to try paper piecing a Santa Hat stamp but I haven't been patient enough (in the past) for paper piecing - I stamp on the wrong side or cut too much.

I'm so glad I lvie near this store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #147  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002View Post
I was thinking of how many strange looks I'd get in the store with a "Hello, My Name is cuccicoo1002" sticker ;) LOL...(of course I'd make a real PRETTY one, but it's still a funny thought)

So true ... I didn't wear a tag so I probably "saw" other SCSers but didn't know it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #148  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

So true ... I didn't wear a tag so I probably "saw" other SCSers but didn't know it.
I hope you don't think I was poking fun Tina -- just silly thought run through my head sometimes...

Hey -- it's good to know the staff -- that way they can help you find all the REALLY GOOD stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #149  
Linking Queen

Quote:

I hope you don't think I was poking fun Tina -- just silly thought run through my head sometimes...

Hey -- it's good to know the staff -- that way they can help you find all the REALLY GOOD stuff!
Not at all ... when i posted we should wear tags it was "tongue in cheek" because the picture of nametag wearing people squinting to see if they recognaized someone's screen name was funny to me too :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #150  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Not at all ... when i posted we should wear tags it was "tongue in cheek" because the picture of nametag wearing people squinting to see if they recognaized someone's screen name was funny to me too :-D
oh see? we are quite like minded lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #151  
Linking Queen

Quote:

oh see? we are quite like minded lol...

I think so ;). Now, if they let you drink coffee (K-cup of choice) while shopping I might personalize a travel mug :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #152  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I think so ;). Now, if they let you drink coffee (K-cup of choice) while shopping I might personalize a travel mug :-D
Now that's my kinda thinking too!!!;)LOL I would be right there with you. we could come up witha special SCS design for the mug too....LOL:-D So what's your k-cup of choice? I have a few...

Gail

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #153  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

niiiiiice NOW yer talkin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #154  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just wanted to take a minute to make a plea -- if you haven't already voted in the Scrapbox contest -- consider giving me your vote. While I would absolutely LOVE this box -- I made the decision before I was even a finalist that if I were to win, I would like to give this to my friend Laura (okiechic) She is an AMAZING person - and is really deserving of this wonderful prize --

I'm not usually a 'beggar' but this is important to me -- FOR HER -- can you help make my dream come true???? pretty please?>??

Thanks so much for your consideration!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #155  
Rubber Obsessor

OMG - I went back today. I bought beautiful lamps for my bedroom. They were half-price. The Christmas stuff is gorgeous, but I'm just not there yet. Oh yeah, they had all the Halloween stuff 40%off so I bought Wilton Halloween Candy Necklace kits. They were a little more than $2. each for 8 necklaces. Hello, class halloween party!!
TeeGeeDee, the staff all remembered me from my visit Friday. I LOVE that! It's like Cheers! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #156  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishi stamperView Post
OMG - I went back today. I bought beautiful lamps for my bedroom. They were half-price. The Christmas stuff is gorgeous, but I'm just not there yet. Oh yeah, they had all the Halloween stuff 40%off so I bought Wilton Halloween Candy Necklace kits. They were a little more than $2. each for 8 necklaces. Hello, class halloween party!!
TeeGeeDee, the staff all remembered me from my visit Friday. I LOVE that! It's like Cheers! LOL
Isn't it fun to shop where everybody knows your name ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #157  
Matboard Maniac

I am so glad to see HL is coming to NY. Hopefully the next stop will be Long Island. Poughkeepsie is about 2 hours from me so I need to play a road trip with my SIL. Ilove HL and always go in when I visit my parents in SC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #158  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishi stamperView Post
Hi Alicia,

What grade is the necklaces for? Are they good for boys also? I am the room Mom incharge of crafts for all the parties in my sons class. I am finally going to be able to take a run up there after I get my youngest to his preschool at 12:15 today. My other son has been home from school sick the past 2 days so I have been stuck in the house. I am going to look at the Halloween sectiona nd see what I can find. I can't wait to get out on my own today....I'm freeeeee!!!! LOL

Gail

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #159  
Rubber Obsessor

TeeGeeDee - "And they're always glad you came!!"

Gail, I bought them for first graders. Do you remember the candy necklaces when you were little that you would wear and bite off the circular candies? These are the same with a big Halloween candy charm for the center. I also bought Halloween cookie cutters so the kids can decorate cookies. They will stamp paper bags with the SU Trick or Treat set to put their desserts in. Whaddya think??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #160  
Rubber Obsessor

Stepha,
Call us when you're coming!! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes