Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fraud SU! Orders

I just wanted everyone to be aware that there are people trying to get SU! demonstrators to place orders with a check, then send them a check for a higher amount and ask them to deposit it and send the difference to someone else. The email I recieved they are using the name of another SU! demonstrator (Kavi Coulson). I called her & SU!. At this time SU! has not put anything out about this. But they confirmed that they have been hearing the same story. The order is usually for mulitples of an item, and they have used demonstrators with a webpage.

I want to post most of the conversation, because according to SU! it is always a similiar story. Note the 2 different writing styles, the story. I have included the address, it is a field on a small rural highway in my state.

The checks they sent was not a cashier's check, the bank on it was RBC (Royal Bank Canada) which has no bank branches except 2 in NC. The name on the check was API in FL which is a printing co., and the envelope was sent from a Patricia D Hunt in Latham NY. Who. by the way, did not sign the check. That was a Juan Rodriguez.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 5:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: ENQUIRY AND ORDER

Hello, I am Kavi Coulson. A friend told me about how i can easily order via a STAMPIN UP DEMOSTRATOR but i am new to this process. I was going through the website and give you my Order request and i saw some products i am interested in and would like to make the order in a timely manner.

I need you to order this products for me because i dont have a credit card nor debit card to placed the order online that is why i decide to choose you as my Demostrator....

Product:::stampinup� Vintage Stencil 118877
Quantity::: 3
Price:::: $11.17
Stampin' Up! Online Ordering

Product::::stampinup� Beau Style - Clear-Mount Stamp 120696
Price::: $18.83

Product::::stampinup� Blossom Bouquet Triple Layer Punch
Price::: $26.61
Stampin' Up! ECWeb/ProductDetails.aspx? productID=122464

Product::::stampinup� Clear 14" X 24" D�cor Elements Sheets
Quantity:::3 Unit
Price::: $14.27

Product::::stampinup� Beyond The Garden Designer Series Paper
Price::: $12.17
Beyond The Garden Designer Series Paper - by Stampin' Up!

Product::::stampinup� Al Punto - Clear-Mount Stamps 124652
Quantity::: 2
Price::: $27.72
Al punto - Clear-Mount Stamps Set - by Stampin' Up!

Please let me know if there is any discount attached to the products that i am interested in above and would like to know if you accept PAYMENT Via Cashier's Check / Bank Certified Check Kindly get back to me with the total cost for all the products listed including Shipping Charges and would like you to e-mail me your Full Contact Name, Address and a Valid Telephone number where payment will be send to, to speed up transaction in a timely manner.

NOTE: My debtor in the states will be responsible for payment of the products which will be sent to your address after i read from you because am on a special assignment with UNICEF now and need the products urgently.

I shall forward you the shipping address where the products will be send to after you must have receive Payment in Full. Will be looking forward to read from you soon.

I awaits your response at:[email protected]

Regard,
Kavi Coulson.

I was looking at your order and wanted to be sure that you own acrylic blocks for the clear mounted stamps. Also, I can't figure up the total costs till I know where it is being shipped to. I also don't know if you are taxed on shipping, and what your tax rate is. The sub-total is $304.59, with this you earn hostess shopping credits.

If you send me your shipping address I can you give you a complete total.

Hello Thanks so much for getting back to me, so here is shipping address to:
32116 Highway 97
Tonasket, WA 98855-9245.
Phone: (509)-486-2629
So get back to me with the total amount of the order plus the shipping charges and also your full name and contact address that will be written on the check.

Thanks and get back to me..

Hello, did you got my mail, i really appreciate you so much dear, may the Lord be with you, as you already know am on a sick bed , so bad i can't even walk around, i will need your hands by helping me get the remaining excess fund to my Daughter for her school fees when you got it cleared your bank.
Thanks and get back to me..Thanks for your mail. God Bless..

The emails continue with her constantly asking If I've got the check, even though I told her her I was out of town. Each time I asked her if it was a cashier's check or what she wanted for her hostess credits, it was ignored. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! If you recieve an email like this, Google the name, check the address on Google maps. Most times it actually shows a picture of the place. Call it in to SU!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the warning. It seems like there are scams everywhere.

One thing I have noticed with scams, is that the email addresses always look funny to me. For instance, when I receive emails from people I know they never have mailto: in front of their email. I'm pretty sure this is a link to another email address that you can not see.

Also, I am not an A student when it comes to writing, but horrendous grammatical and spelling errors always make me question the person who wrote it.

Be careful everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I got one and it didn't ask for multiples. Where I work non stamping we got this also. They were using folks who posted on Craig List. Used our Phone number and Address when sending the check. Drawn on a bank after forgin a check from a big company. WOuld usually be for about $200 above the purchase price. If you cashed it it was at the time good and then later they would stop payment because they realized that someone was using bad checks off the account in the mean time they sent the item and change. How they caught these was someone called us and asked us why we sent them a check which we didn't just our address different person on the check different bank and not the person who said they bought the item on Craig list. Bizzare. Please becareful if you dont' who is sending you checks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the warning. I have been warned before but it never hurts to be reminded again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I never quite understand these scams. Can someone explain:
* How the scammer benefits
* How the demonstrator gets burned (if she cashes the cashier's check before placing the order)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

The checks wont clear the bank. They have you deposit it in your account and then a few days later the bank tells you he check is no good. And if you use that money it will come out of your account.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
* How the demonstrator gets burned (if she cashes the cashier's check before placing the order)
They can forge cashiers checks just like a regular check. When I was with a Direct sales company, demonstrators got these all the time. It is one of the oldest scams out there. The scammer benefits by getting the product before you have been notified by your bank that the cashiers check is a forgery. Then it is off to Ebay for them.

Remember the old saying...............If it sounds too good to be true, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
Sometimes they send you a bad check and sometimes it's for more that the amount owed and then they ask for you to send them back the difference. So now they have the merchandise plus money.

I've received a few of these scam orders. If I think an order is legit (obviously not these orders) I will always tell them that they can place their order with me online.

Generally these scam orders have improper spelling and grammar, and they always want larger quantity of items than a customer would normally order. And the last scam order I received was for several of SU's highest priced items. Now come on, who really buys 5 big shots?

Also, we should never give out our personal information. And the last thing you should do is send these people a personal check for their 'overage amount'. Be careful out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this EXACT thing happen with my Longaberger website! She wanted to order 35 baskets of the same kind. That was my first clue. I did 'play' with her a bit though...just to be a little mean. LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So, are all of you telling me that the letter I got saying I was being let in on a great deal. I am getting almost a million dollars!!! All I have to do is send a money order for the 'handling' charges, which are around $250 to some person in Namibia or something, and they will send me my money!!! Isn't that awesome? It would have helped if they would have spelled my name correctly and also used at least 1/2 way proper English!!!!

So, guess I'm not getting my million dollars. Gee, and I already had plans!:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I think I just got one of these today. It was written very strangely and she wanted 2 Big Shots, 2 bags, and 3 Petal Cone Bags. I hate scams!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why don't any scammers use good grammar and punctuation???? If I got a LEGITIMATE email like this (not from a scammer) with horrendous grammar, I wouldn't even be able to read through to the end!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

The run the same scam on Avon reps that have web pages also. We had 1 lady who fell for it twice. The second time was because they said they were from a church.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, this is an old type of scam. It used to happen to me when I was in college on the newspaper staff. The individual would send in a request for a classified ad for the entire year and enclose a check for an amount much higher than the actual cost. Sure enough, the check bounced. :-/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

The reason most of these scammers have bad English grammar is because most of them are in Nigeria. I ran into the same type of scams on a dating website. The difference is they get women/men to fall for them and then make up a reason you need to send them money. Sometimes, it is an issue with their paycheck and a US bank so they will send you the check and you deposit it in your account and then send them the money. It's probably the very same people hitting every possible public website to scam. There is actually a website that shows pictures of some of these scammers that have been caught. Sad isn't it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Why don't any scammers use good grammar and punctuation???? If I got a LEGITIMATE email like this (not from a scammer) with horrendous grammar, I wouldn't even be able to read through to the end!!!!
Its because these things are usually written in the scammers language, then translated with an online translator- hence the words are right, but the usage is all wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread reminds me of another forum-like place - Welcome to 419Eater
I spent some time there once, maybe a year ago(???). I just read and read and read (it was very entertaining!) the exchanged emails of a Nigerian scammer and a "scam-baiter" - someone who takes on the scammer and wastes his time just for fun. There WAS vulgar language on this site, so beware.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default wow, that's a new one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss StuffyView Post
I just wanted everyone to be aware that there are people trying to get SU! demonstrators to place orders with a check, then send them a check for a higher amount and ask them to deposit it and send the difference to someone else. The email I recieved they are using the name of another SU! demonstrator (Kavi Coulson). I called her & SU!. At this time SU! has not put anything out about this. But they confirmed that they have been hearing the same story. The order is usually for mulitples of an item, and they have used demonstrators with a webpage.

I want to post most of the conversation, because according to SU! it is always a similiar story. Note the 2 different writing styles, the story. I have included the address, it is a field on a small rural highway in my state.

The checks they sent was not a cashier's check, the bank on it was RBC (Royal Bank Canada) which has no bank branches except 2 in NC. The name on the check was API in FL which is a printing co., and the envelope was sent from a Patricia D Hunt in Latham NY. Who. by the way, did not sign the check. That was a Juan Rodriguez.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 5:11 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: ENQUIRY AND ORDER

Hello, I am Kavi Coulson. A friend told me about how i can easily order via a STAMPIN UP DEMOSTRATOR but i am new to this process. I was going through the website and give you my Order request and i saw some products i am interested in and would like to make the order in a timely manner.

I need you to order this products for me because i dont have a credit card nor debit card to placed the order online that is why i decide to choose you as my Demostrator....

Product:::stampinup� Vintage Stencil 118877
Price:::: $11.17

Product::::stampinup� Beau Style - Clear-Mount Stamp 120696
Price::: $18.83

Product::::stampinup� Blossom Bouquet Triple Layer Punch
Price::: $26.61
Stampin' Up! ECWeb/ProductDetails.aspx? productID=122464

Product::::stampinup� Clear 14" X 24" D�cor Elements Sheets
Quantity:::3 Unit
Price::: $14.27

Product::::stampinup� Beyond The Garden Designer Series Paper
Price::: $12.17
Beyond The Garden Designer Series Paper - by Stampin' Up!

Product::::stampinup� Al Punto - Clear-Mount Stamps 124652
Quantity::: 2
Price::: $27.72
Al punto - Clear-Mount Stamps Set - by Stampin' Up!

Please let me know if there is any discount attached to the products that i am interested in above and would like to know if you accept PAYMENT Via Cashier's Check / Bank Certified Check Kindly get back to me with the total cost for all the products listed including Shipping Charges and would like you to e-mail me your Full Contact Name, Address and a Valid Telephone number where payment will be send to, to speed up transaction in a timely manner.

NOTE: My debtor in the states will be responsible for payment of the products which will be sent to your address after i read from you because am on a special assignment with UNICEF now and need the products urgently.

I shall forward you the shipping address where the products will be send to after you must have receive Payment in Full. Will be looking forward to read from you soon.

I awaits your response at:[email protected]

Regard,
Kavi Coulson.

I was looking at your order and wanted to be sure that you own acrylic blocks for the clear mounted stamps. Also, I can't figure up the total costs till I know where it is being shipped to. I also don't know if you are taxed on shipping, and what your tax rate is. The sub-total is $304.59, with this you earn hostess shopping credits.

If you send me your shipping address I can you give you a complete total.

Hello Thanks so much for getting back to me, so here is shipping address to:
32116 Highway 97
Tonasket, WA 98855-9245.
Phone: (509)-486-2629
So get back to me with the total amount of the order plus the shipping charges and also your full name and contact address that will be written on the check.

Thanks and get back to me..

Hello, did you got my mail, i really appreciate you so much dear, may the Lord be with you, as you already know am on a sick bed , so bad i can't even walk around, i will need your hands by helping me get the remaining excess fund to my Daughter for her school fees when you got it cleared your bank.
Thanks and get back to me..Thanks for your mail. God Bless..

The emails continue with her constantly asking If I've got the check, even though I told her her I was out of town. Each time I asked her if it was a cashier's check or what she wanted for her hostess credits, it was ignored. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! If you recieve an email like this, Google the name, check the address on Google maps. Most times it actually shows a picture of the place. Call it in to SU!

What a trooper, eh? She is serving on special assignment with UNICEF and she's on her sickbed and can't even walk. Seriously, if it wasn't so sad it would be funny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
This thread reminds me of another forum-like place - Welcome to 419Eater
I spent some time there once, maybe a year ago(???). I just read and read and read (it was very entertaining!) the exchanged emails of a Nigerian scammer and a "scam-baiter" - someone who takes on the scammer and wastes his time just for fun. There WAS vulgar language on this site, so beware.
I have to pass this on to my Beloved Husband- he'd have hours of fun as a 'scam baiter',:p
We used to constantly get what we call ' cold callers' phoning up, trying to sell double glazing, conservatories etc. He could keep them on the phone for ages, taking them round in circles, to the point that usually THEY would hang up on HIM One called and his first words were' I'm not trying to sell you anything', So Dougs reply was, OK, I'll listen. This bloke starts going on about conservatories, so after a short while Doug chips in and said, 'So you are giving me this free?-
Salesman: Er...no,
Doug: But you said you weren't selling anything
S: Well, its like this...
Doug: But you said you weren't selling, are you going to loan it to me then?
S: No, its...
Doug: Well, if you aren't selling, and its not free, how does this work? Do you charge me rent for it?
S: No, we don't! ( Getting a bit exasperated by now) Let me...
Doug:, Well, I'm a bit confused. You aren't selling, renting, loaning or giving it away. So how do I get one? I think I might enjoy having a conservatory. I'm quite looking forward to it now.
S: The way it works is that there is a very big discount for people who allow us to use their conservatory as part of our advertising...
D: But you said you weren't selling. That implies there is no charge- how can I have a discount on nothing? Oh, I get it now, I make a donation! Great- I just give you what I feel its worth! Brilliant!
At this point the caller hung up, and we rolled on the floor, crying with laughter. Funny thing is, that particular company has never called again......:p:p:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Or there was the time that a different company phoned, and he just happened (!) to be in front of his pc. He answered, got an evil grin on his face, and said, 'can I just put you on hold for a moment?.
The guy says, er, ok, and Doug pressed the secrecy button on the phone. While he was talking, he'd opened up the music hard drive on his pc (150gig of it, and all heavy metal) , queued it up in Media Player, let go of the secrecy button, stood the phone in front of his speakers, and we went shopping.:p .We were out for an hour & a half, and anyone seeing us must have thought the pair of us were quite mad. Every so often we'd look at each other & start laughing, knowing that that guys phone line was tied up all the time we were out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

I am a new demonstrator myself, and i just got my first scam letter. i am so thankful for these posts, as the request did send up a red flag, but i had never heard of this sort of thing with a business like Stampin Up!
Thanks to all for the tips and posts, as they still help people like me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 04:29 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericaborgersView Post
I am a new demonstrator myself, and i just got my first scam letter. i am so thankful for these posts, as the request did send up a red flag, but i had never heard of this sort of thing with a business like Stampin Up!
Thanks to all for the tips and posts, as they still help people like me!
Erica, this is a really old thread. Join the demo forums on SCS (see the left menu that says "Join a Group" and you'll stay current on scam attempts, and can ask questions if you get any suspicious emails.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the heads up! I was wondering if anyone's ever had that problem. Sad these days nobody is safe from scams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Wow interesting enough I got an email yesterday with this exact thing. Some on out of fl that wants to send me a certified check. Funny part is they said they saw my cards through my SU site. The kicker is I didn't have one set up til now. I emailed them back apologizing for the inconvenience and directed them to order off the site or thru a local demonstrator.
Reply With Quote Likes